Descendants of John Henry Garmonsway
John Henry Garmonsway was born on 3 Jun 1835 in London, England 1, and christened on 25 Dec 1835 1 in St. Leonards, Shoreditch, London; he died on 29 Jul 1915 1 in New Zealand. He married on 19 Dec 1859 1 in Auckland, Crichton Petrie ; died 1885 16 in New Zealand.
He was known as "Jack" and was the first of the N.Z. of the Edward and Letitia children to marry. He was listed in the 1865/66 Electoral Roll in the City of Auckland West electorate living in Princes Lane and in 1869 listed in the Auckland Provinicial Highway Rolls 1863-70 at Pirongia located in the North Island's Waikato region about 11 km west of Te Awamutu and 30 km south of N.Z.s largest inland city of Hamilton. Pirongia during the soldier settler era was known as Alexandra. In the "Return of Freeholders for 1882" he was listed as a baker at Alexandra with freehold land valued at £4.
Children of John Henry Garmonsway and Crichton Petrie were:
1. Letitia Garmonsway b. 10 Mar 1862 1 in Auckland, NZ, ; d. 30 Mar 1919 7 and was buried in Taupiri Cemetery, New Zealand. She married on 14 Aug 1880 2, Robert Richard Stewart b. 1854 17 New Zealand, d. 10 Nov 1910 7, buried Taupiri Cemetery, N.Z., son of David Stewart and Janet Torrance.
She was the first born grandchild of Edward Watts and Letitia, and the first to marry. Her father Jack had a bakery at Pirongia. The Stewart family were at Komakorau, out of Taupiri, Waikato 5. After the death of her husband Robert the farm was sold during WW I when youngest son Charles Stewart was serving overseas 2. Likewise to Letitia's father and grandparents, Robert' parent's David Stewart and Janet Torrance arrived in N.Z. on the Inchinnan on 27th May 1852 as fencible soldier/settlers and were settled at Howick 4. Apart from Robert born in 1854, the couple had Margaret Elizabeth born ca. 1859, and another son David. In 1866/68 David Stewart Sr. had 5 acres in Pakuranga and his section at Howick 15. Robert Richard & wife Letitia appeared as settlers at Taupiri in the 1893 Waikato Electoral roll when N.Z. women first became entitled to register and vote in elections.
Children of Letitia Garmonsway and Robert Richard Stewart were:
Likewise to his father he was a baker. He was a carpenter around Raglan and Kawhia before going south to join his brothers at Mataroa near Taihape in 1910. He had a mail run there but sold it and went back to carpentry.4. James Garmonsway "Jim" b. 1868 21 in New Zealand; d. 15 Dec 1915 8 in Mataroa, New
He may have married 1911 (#1911-8346), which is the first NZ indexed marriage for a James Garmonsway. However this was likely his second marriage as a 4 year old son born ca. 1905 is buried with him in Mataroa Cemetery near Taihape where he went farming in the 1890s. It is posssible he married a first wife about 1890 when aged in his early 20s. If so the following Auckland born children may have been his:5. Christiana Augusta Garmonsway b. 4 Jul 1870 1; d. 30 Nov 1870 1.
Children of Charles Thomas Garmonsway and Ann were:7. Helen Blair Garmonsway b. 12 Jul 1873 1,23 reg. Cambridge, New Zealand . She married circa 1893 Unknown Dawson.
She may have married as Ellen Garmonsway (#1895-119). It is possible two unallocated Auckland births were her children EX marriage viz:8. Francis Henry Garmonsway b. 28 Jul 1876 1,24 reg. Alexandra, New Zealand; d. 21 Nov 1958 9 in Taihape, Rangatiki, New Zealand, buried 22 Nov 1958 Taihape Cemetery. He married Lillian (Lily) (surname unknown) b. circa 1881; d. 16 Oct 1920 9 in New Zealand, buried Taihape Cemetery, New Zealand.
Frank Garmonsway went farming in the late 1890s in the Mataroa area near Taihape. He enlisted in 1900 in the Boer War. His marriage has not been noted in the NZ BDM Indexes. It may have been in 1901 for which the NZ marriage index fiche has the Gs missing. Alternatively he may have met and married his wife Lillian (Lily) in South Africa in 1901/2 when she would have been about twenty. His Obituary incorrectly stated his grandfather came to NZ in 1851 as the Sergeant-Major in the 68th Reigiment.
9 . Mary Stewart b. after 1880 2. She married James Stewart.
10. Jack Stewart b. after 1880; d. 1889 2.
13. Unknown Stewart (Triplet) b. in 1890; d. 1893 2.
15. David Douglas Stewart (Triplet) b. 26 Oct 1890 11.
Children of Charles Stewart and Isobella Pickens were:17. William James Garmonsway b. 1901 1 Raglan, New Zealand.
18. John Henry Garmonsway III, b. 25 Jul 1902 1, Kawhia N.Z.; d. 26 Mar 1978 13 in N.Z.; buried in Raetihi Cemetery, New Zealand. He married 6 Nov 1926 Florence Mary Allan b. 7 Oct 1903; d. 23 Jun 1968 13; buried in Raetihi Cemetery, New Zealand
Children of John Henry Garmonsway III and Florence Mary Allan were:19. Francis Edward Garmonsway "Frank" b. 1903 1 Kawhia, New Zealand . Married 1930 1 and had seven children.
20. Violet May Garmonsway b. in 1905 1 reg. Kawhia, New Zealand.
21. Horace Charles Garmonsway b. 1907 1 New Zealand.
22. Edna Mildred Garmonsway b. 1908 1 Raglan, New Zealand. She married George Baker.
Children of Edna Mildred Garmonsway and george Baker were:23. Leo Garmonsway b. 1909 26 reg. Te Awamutu, New Zealand 41; d. 25 Oct 1983 14, buried in Lawrence Cemetery. The Wises Directory for 1940 listed him as a workman at Barrytown. A New Zealand published poet.
24. Helen Edith Garmonsway Garmonsway b. 1911 27 reg Huntly, New Zealand
26. Harold Garmonsway b. 1913 29reg. Taihape, New Zealand.
27. Thelma Dorothy Garmonsway b. 1914 30reg. Taihape, New Zealand; buried in Wellington, New Zealand. She died when young.
28. Rita Evelyn Garmonsway b. 1916 reg. Taihape, New Zealand.
30. Vera June Letitia Garmonsway b. in 1919 33 reg. Taihape, New Zealand
31. Nydia Garmonsway b. 1922 reg. Taihape, New Zealand.
33. Albert James Garmonsway b. 1912 34
34. Alexander Edward Garmonsway b. 1913 35
35. Annie Edith May Garmonsway "Ann" b. 1902 36 reg. Dargaville, New Zealand.
36. Charles Robert Garmonsway was born in 1905 37 reg. Dargaville, New Zealand.
37. Nellie Florence Garmonsway b. 1908 38 reg. Hokianga, New Zealand .
38. Melissa Dawson
39. Clarrice Dawson
40. Zena Dawson
41. John Dawson
42. Ruth Stewart married Cranston Unknown.
43. Bruce Stewart married Jessie Alderton.
Compiled by J. Raymond, Brisbane, Australia - last modified 5 May 2001