Residents of State Hospital No. 3
NEVADA, VERNON COUNTY, MISSOURI
FROM THE 1900 CENSUS
(Called "Lunatic Asylum No. 3" on the census)
NOTE: The fact that a person was a resident of the State Hospital does not neccessarily mean that they were insane. Some of the people who were sent to the State Hospital were orphans, retarded, senile, deaf, mute, homeless, destitute, etc.. Judges often just had nowhere else to put them.
1. The race of all patients was listed as White on the census.
2. The writing was difficult to read. Many first names were abbreviated.
3. Spelling was bad. For example, Samuel and Daniel are spelled Samil and Danil.
4. On the listing for martial status, Wd for widowed and Uk for unknown often looked alike.
5. The numbering system used is mine. It's not from the census.