Atoka School History - Coleman County, Texas  
 
Atoka School
by Violet G. Tyson

from A History of Coleman County and Its People, 1985 
edited by Judia and Ralph Terry, and Vena Bob Gates - used by permission 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the early 1870’s, a large building was built and a cemetery was started at Atoka.  It is probable that the land was donated by the early Parker settlers.  The building served as a school house and church house.  It was located on a square plot of land near the cemetery.  Rev. R. T. Mitchell moved from Louisiana to the Atoka community in 1882 and was the pastor of the Baptist Church for many years.  Others before him were not known.  The church was nondenominational and many other early day preachers held services there.

Atoka School District #7 covered a large area of land surrounding the school and was the only school for miles around.  Therefore, most of the children of the early settlers of the community attended the Atoka School.  Listed in a “Blue Back Speller,” school year 1887, were names of children who attended — family names were Parker, Weaver, Wright, Burford, Baldridge, and Porch.  Professor Rickard taught there in 1888.  Most of the children who attended Atoka walked, distances being from 5 to 2 miles.  When the railroad came through, some of the chidren began to go to Novice, Midway, and a new school at Oak Grove.  Mrs. Tina Parker taught the last school term at Atoka.  The building remained in use for many years for funerals, weddings, and community singings and socials.  When the building became unfit for use, it was torn down and some of the lumber was used to build a structure with just a roof covering a table and benches.  It is in one corner of the cemetery lot.
 


 
Known Schools - 1860-2004
School Index
Coleman County Index
Use the Search Engine to search the Coleman County website.

 
Please send any suggestions or comments about the schools of Coleman County to:

 
This page updated July 14, 2004
 
Copyright © 1982 - 2004 by Ralph Terry