The History of the Duke of York Inn
in relation to the NEEDHAM family
This page is possible thanks to Darren Parker, publican of 'Duke of York' nr Buxton,
who provided help with history of the Inn and previous Innkeepers, back in 1998.
And courtesy of the present publican for allowing this page.
The Duke of York Public House
Ashborne Road, Flagg, Nr. Buxton
Derbyshire. SK17 9QG
The Duke of York as in 1994
© 1994 Allison & Alderson
The Duke of York Inn is situated in the ancient parish of Chelmorton. Chelmorton is not mentioned in the Doomsday Book. It is a parcel of the Royal Manor of the High Peak and the mineral rights are leased to the Duke of Devonshire, who was once a principal landowner and Lord of the Manor.
The alehouse was first opened in 1618 as part of the farmstead owned by John and Maria White. The Needham family first came to the Inn in 1813 with Richard Needham. He and his wife Nancy Hulme were publicans until 1816. They had two children there; Elizabeth in 1813 and George in 1815.
George Needham, Richard's brother took over in 1817 when he married Ann Nall. They had four children there; George in 1818, Matthew in 1819, Mark in 1820 and Ellen Dicken in 1822. Tragically, George died at the young age of 34 in 1824 (buried at Taddington) and Ann took over as publican, helped by her sons.
In 1851 Ann's son George and a brother worked as farm labourers on a farm not part of the inn - possibly that of George Dicken. Ann died in 1859 and her son George took over as innkeeper and as farmer of 63 acres. Ann's daughter Ellen Dicken Needham, married farmer George Dicken (perhaps he was a couisn?) who became publican in 1869. He was a farmer with 91 acres of land.
By 1881 George Dicken was described as innkeeper and farmer of 125 acres, with his wife Ellen and daughter Alice, 23 who was a servant at the inn and their son Matthew, 22 who worked on the farm.
In 1891 George Dicken, now aged 70 was a farmer. When he died in 1894, Ellen Dicken took over as publican in the pub that she had been born in until her death in 1899.
PAST INNKEEPERS OF THE DUKE OF YORK
1618 - 1662 JOHN WHITE 1900 - JAMES ARTHUR HAMMOND
1662 - 1687 CHRISTOPHER MELLOR 1900 - 1901 SAMUEL WARD
1688 - 1704 THOMAS REDFERN 1901 - 1913 GEORGE LANDER WESTALL
1705 - 1719 SAMUEL PLANT 1913 - 1938 JAMES HOROBIN
1719 -1752 RICHARD SALT 1938 - 1955 MARY ELLEN NAYLOR
1753 - 1756 WILLIAM SIMPSON 1955 - 1961 MARY ELLEN HADFIELD
1757 - 1774 ELLEN BAGSHAW 1961 - 1962 PETER STEWART HALL
1775 - 1784 SAMUEL ALLEN 1962 - 1965 PAUL MARSHALL KEYWORTH
1785 - 1791 JOHN HIBBERT 1965 - 1967 CYRIL JAMES JONES
1792 - 1812 SOLOMON MYCOCK 1967 - IRENE TWIGG
1813 - 1816 RICHARD NEEDHAM 1967 - 1970 JOHN ARTHUR BROADHURST
1817 - 1823 GEORGE NEEDHAM 1970 - 1975 MINNIE GREGORY
1824 - 1859 ANN NEEDHAM 1975 - 1980 JOHN HENRY FRITH
1859 - 1868 GEORGE NEEDHAM 1980 - 1981 DAVID ARTHUR NUGENT
1869 - 1894 GEORGE DICKEN 1981 - 1984 RAYMOND AUSTIN ATKINS
1894 - 1899 ELLEN DICKEN 1984 - 1997 JOHN LONGWOTH
1899 - 1901 GEORGE WILKINSON 1997 - DAREN DAVID PARKER