Sir Adam de Chevening

Person Sheet


Name Sir Adam de Chevening
Birth bef 1178, County Kent, England201
Birth Memo In 1199 he was sub-let the manor of Chevening from the de Crevequers so he must have been over 21 in 1199.
Death 1216, County Kent, England202
Death Memo The earliest mention of the manor of Chevening II in existing records are of Adam de Chevening who held the manor from 1199 to 1216...
Spouses
1 UNNAMED
Children Adam (<1216-<1281)
Simon (->1236)
Notes for Sir Adam de Chevening
THE EARLIEST RECORDS OF THE AREA OF CHEVENING, KENT:

"....[Chevening] first mentioned mentioned in the records in 766, when it was the site of the battle with Offa. In various charters between 785 and 822 different parcels of land were ceded to the Archbishop of Canterbury by the Mercian kings Offa, Chenille and Ceowulf. The area, including Shoreham to the north, Seal to the east, Chevening to the west and stretching into the forest of Andredsweald to the south, became known as the manor of Otford.

Chevening land lay along the western border of the Manor of Otford. In the later Saxon times another east-west track had developed along the southern slopes of the Downs, along the route now called the Pilgrim's Way...

The name Chevening means either 'Cefn's people,' derived from the Saxon name of the first family to settle in the area, or 'the people of the ridge' in the pre-Roman Celtic tongue; either suggests an ancient origin."203

Arms of Adam de Chevening
332 Argent an eagle displayed vert Adam de Chevening. http://briantimms.com/era/armsrollsblazons.htm

MANOR LANDS

This is what I have from the book "A History of the Parish of Chevening" published by the Chevening Parish History Group:

"The first holders of the main manor of Chevening, from the Archbishop of Canterbury, which we have called Chevening I, were the de Crevequerers who held the manor for over 100 years. This manor was split into several parts; the main part we have called Chevening II. The earliest mention of the manor of Chevening in existing records are of Adam de Chevening who held the manor from 1199 to 1216, and the de Chevening family in the 14th century when several de Chevenings for half a knight's fee. In 1432 the possession of the manor passed to the De la Pole family and afterwards through several hands until it was bought by John Lennard in 1551 for 420. 204

"The de Crevequeurs were the first recorded tenants of Chevening, in 1171, owing one knight's fee for land they had acquired from :Haimo, the steward." As part of the victorious Norman army they had other lands in Kent, including Leeds Castle. Although de Crevequerers are noted in various records there is no suggestion that the family ever resided in the manor; the steward would have been sent to collect the revenue from the servants. It is assumed that this is Chevening I.

From a deed from the Public Records Office online: Relating to the inspeximus of Queen Eleanor's confirmation to the Archbiship of Caterbury, of parts of a knights fee which Robert de Crevequoer [sic] held of the Archbishop of Canterbury and had sold to the Queen, one of which parts was held by Daam de Chevening in Chevening. (Date: 1281. Deeds relating to the manor of Chevening and property in Chevening, Sundridge, Knockholt, and Halstead - ref U1590/T5 - date 1271-1573)

"Just over 20 years later in 1199, some of the land was subinfeudated (sub-let) to Adam of Chevening for half a knight's fee. He was one of the Justices of the great assize of King John and "he possessed and resided in the manor during the reign of Henry III (!1216 - 1232). He was the first resident Lord of the Manor. The remains of an old house can be seen in the cellars and some of the rooms of the present Chevening House, which must therefore be the site of the first manor. This we presume is Chevening II. With a resident Lord of the Manor the community grew and the church and glebe lands were established in the hamlet. 201

From the book The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent vol. III by Edward Hastead, originally published in 1797-1901.

Besides the above manor [in the area of Chipstead held by the Archbishop of Canterbury until the reign of Henry VIII when it was possessed by the crown until the reign of Charles II] thre appears to have been another manor in this parish, called likewise the Manor of Chevening, and subordinate to that before-mentioned. Adam de Chevening, who had been one of the justices in the great assize in the reign of King John,* possessed this manor in the next reign of Henry III and resided there. His descendent, William de Chevening, held it of the Archbishop in the 20th year of king Edward III [1347], when he paid respective aid for it as half a knight's fee.

This family of Chevening, or Chowning, as it began then to be called, was succeeded in the possession of this place soon afterwards by that of De la Pole; one of whom, John de la Pole, held it in the 10th year of the reign of Henry VI [1432] soon after which it was passed away by sale to Isley; and William Isley, in the next reign of king Edward IV [1461-70, 1471-83] gave it by deed to John Harneys;** in whose posterity it continued for some descents, till at length a female heir carried it in marriage to John Mills, in the beginning of the reign of Henry VIII as appears by a recovery, exemplified in the 7th year [1517] of that reign.

His son, John Mill, by deed poll, anno 3 king Edward VI [1550] conveyed it to Henry Fitzherbert, who, in the 4th year of the above reign [1551], passed it away to John Lennard, esq.

This family was settled at Chevening as early at least as King Henry VI's time [1422-61, 1470-1], when we find George Lennard living here, who, by Maud his wife, had John Lennard, his son and heir, whose eldest son John Married Catherine, the sister of Thomas Weston, of Chepsted, one of the prothonotaries of the common pleas, by whom he had two sons; John of whom hereafter, and William, whose son Sampson, was in the low countries with Sir Philip Sydney, and was a skilful and industrious member of the college of arms, as may be seen by his large collection preserved in the British museum."

*Originally, the word assize applied to all legal proceedings of the nature of inquests or recognitions, fiscal, civil, or criminal. In particular, it applied to the Grand or Great Assize created by Henry II (King John's father) to replace trial by battle. Source: From a cached page on Google.

**According to the pedigree file on Connie Burkhead's website a John Harneys was the son of Edmond Harneys and Elizabeth Chevening, daughter of the aforementioned William de Chevening, son of the third Adam de Chevening.
Last Modified 20 Mar 2006 Created 24 Mar 2006 using Reunion for Macintosh

Contents * Index * Surnames * Contact * Web Family Card