Georgia DeBeck/Carlin: Dallas Madame
To Dallas County Archives main page
List of Biographies

(Updated February 6, 2006; added cause of death)
(Updated April 19, 2006; added two articles from 1884)

Georgia DeBeck/Carlin:
Dallas Madame


     Georgia A. DeBeck was born August 1863,1 in (presumably Clearfield County) Pennsylvania, and was the daughter of Benjamin and Celeste (-----) Debeck, the granddaughter of George Debeck, and the great-granddaughter of John Ludwig Debeck, who was born in Germany in 1755.2 Benjamin and family migrated to Dallas Co., from Clearfield Co., Pennsylvania, sometime between 1870 and 1880.



     Georgia A. DeBeck marries Andrew Drone in Dallas Co., Texas, on September 15, 1878, with W. W. Peak, Justice of the Peace, as the officiant.3



     Georgia and her husband, Andy Drone, are living next door to her brother, George Edmund (shown as "E. G." on the census) DeBeck, on the 1880 Dallas County census. Andy is listed as 28 years old, born in Illinois (as were both parents), and is listed as a laborer with the railroad. Georgia is 18 years old, a house keeper, born in Pennsylvania, with both parents being born in New Brunswick.4

1880 Dallas County Census:

(click here for enlarged view)

     Georgia's father, Benjamin DeBeck, and family, also appear on the 1880 Dallas County census, and is listed as a farmer.5




Mardi Gras Visitors - A Young Girl
Saved from a Life of Shame.


Special to the Gazette.
     Dallas, February 19.- A large number of Dallasites have arranged to visit New Orleans to witness the Mardi Gras festivities.
     Lizzie Handley, keeper of a house of ill-fame, sent for Chief of Police Arnold this morning to take away Annie Debreck (sic), a fourteen-year-old girl of East Dallas, who came to to her house late last night, saying her school mates continually taunted her about the life of shame of a female relative [Georgia DeBeck], and she had determined on leading a life of shame.  Madame Handley locked her in a room by herself till morning, when Chief Arnold took her to her parents.  The girl professes to have abandoned her terrible resolve.

- February 20, 1884, Fort Worth Daily Gazette, p. 2, col. 5.
- o o o -



     Yesterday morning, City Marshal Arnold received a note from Lizzie Handley, the proprietress of a bawdy house on Jackson street, which stated that she desired to see him at once on important business. The official reported promptly, and was informed that a young girl who gave her name as Anna or Edith De Beck, residing near the fair grounds had come to her house and requested that she be admitted as an inmate.  The proprietress declined to admit her, but when the girl wept and begged to be cared for during the night, she took her in, and after locking her up in a room, sent a messenger with a note to Marshal Arnold, who did not get it until the next morning.  The girl, who has just entered her teens, expressed a desire to lead a life of shame, and when the officer took charge of her to take her back to her parents, she wept bitterly.  Her story is to the effect that persons have accused her of leading an unchaste life, and that so long as she got the credit of it, little was the difference to her. The unfortunate young girl was returned to her parents and home.

- February 21, 1884, Dallas Weekly Herald, p. 4, col. 3.
- o o o -


 Note: Sometime between 1880 and 1889, Georgia DeBeck assumed the alias of "Georgia Carlin." The two articles above suggest the reason for the alias was to minimize embarrassment
to the DeBeck family.



One Woman Shoots Another.

     FORT WORTH, Tex., June 7. -- There was a shooting affray at a house of ill repute on Rusk street, kept by Mme. Porter, between 3 and 4 o'clock this morning.  The two women engaged in the row were Hattie Tyree and Georgia Carlin, and the usual cause for such a row -- jealousy of a lover of one of them.  The statements of witnesses are that the quarrel had been on for a day or so, and culminated last night when the alleged lover transferred his attentions to Hattie. Georgia struck the other woman and pulled her hair, when after several times warning her.  Hattie fired two shots, one striking the assailant in the groin, passing through the body, inflicting a severe flesh wound, not necessarily fatal, or even dangerous.

- June 8, 1889, The Dallas Morning News, p. 4.
- o o o -


Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory
of the City of Dallas, 1889-90:

     Carlin, Miss Georgie, boards with Miss Essie Watkins.
     Watkins, Miss Essie, residence 110 Market, corner of Young.

(Note: Essie Watkins was a brothel
keeper in Dallas for several years)

Georgie Drone vs. Andy Drone


Case # 8076
14th District Civil Minutes

In the District Court of Dallas

County, Texas.

No. __________


Georgie Drone


Andy Drone.

To the Honorable District Court in and for Dallas County:

     The petition of Georgie Drone, who resides in the county of Dallas, State of Texas, complaining of Andy Drone, who is a non-resident of said State, respectfully shows:
     That plaintiff is a bona fide inhabitant of this State and has resided in Dallas county for more than six months next before the filing of this petition; that she was married to the defendant Andy Drone on the 25th day of September, 1878, in Dallas county, Texas, and lived with him as his wife until the 30th day of June 1886, and that on said day, without cause, said defendant left your petitioner with the intention of abandonment and has not seen or communicated with her since. That said abandonment and desertion on the part of the defendant was wholly without excuse. That this plaintiff deported herself at all times as became a faithful and dutiful wife, and that it is not the purpose or intention of the defendant to return to or life with plaintiff as husband and wife.
     Petitioner shows that her maiden name was Georgie DeBeck; wherefore she prays that said defendant be cited to appear and answer this petition; that she have judgment dissolving the bonds of matrimony between plaintiff and defendant, and that she be restored to her maiden name, and for all costs and general relief.

Crawford & Crawford
Att'ys for Plaintiff.

Statement of Mrs. Kate Murray

Georgie Drone
#8076 vs
Andy Drone

In the District Court
Dallas County Tex.
Sept Term 1890.

     The following was the statement of Mrs. Kate Murray, a witness in the trial of the above entitled cause.
     After being duly sworn, she said: That Georgie Drone, Plaintiff, and Andy Drone, Defendant, married on the 25th day of September 1878 in Dallas County Texas, and that they lived together until about the 30th day of June 1886; That on or about the last named date, Andy Drone stated to her (this witness) that he was going to Mexico; that he intended to abandon his wife and would never return to her again; that she should never know where he was nor should ever hear from him; That he did leave in fact and his wife has never heard from him; That he left no property to her, nor has he ever contributed anything to her support;
     That his wife's maiden name was Georgie De Beck.
     That she knew the parties to this suit for some [time] after their marriage, and so far as she knew, they lived happily together.
     That the Plaintiff was a true and devoted wife and that Defendant left her without a cause.

Crawford & Crawford
Att'ys for Plaintiff.

J. C. Patton
Atty for Defendant

Approved and ordered
to be filed

R. E. Burke
Dist. Judge

(Note: Kate Murray was a prostitute
in Dallas for several years)



To the Sheriff or any Constable of Dallas County -- GREETING:

YOU ARE HEREBY COMMANDED, That by making publication of this Citation in some newspaper, published in the County of Dallas, for four consecutive weeks, previous to the return day hereof, you summon Andy Drone whose residence is unknown to be and appear before the 14th Judicial District Court, to be holden in and for the County of Dallas at the Court House thereof, in the City of Dallas, on the Second Monday in May next, then and there to answer to the Petition of Georgie Drone filed in said Court on the 5th day of March 1890 against the said Andy Drone and alleging in substance as follows, to-wit:

     That Plaintiff was legally married to Defendant on the 25th day of September 1878 in Dallas County Texas, and lived with him until the 30th day of June 1886 and that on said day, Defendant left Plaintiff without cause, and with the intention of abandonment and has not communicated with her since.  Petitioner shows that her maiden name was Georgie De Beck. Wherefore she prays for a decree of divorce and that she be restored to her maiden name for all costs of suit and general relief.

WITNESS, J. H. Stewart, Clerk of the District Court of Dallas County, Texas.

Given under my hand and seal of said Court at office in the City of Dallas, this the 8 day of March A. D. 1890.

J. H. Stewart Clerk,
District Court, Dallas County.

By Val E. Winston Deputy.

1890 (continued)



The Amount of His Shortage Not
Definitely Known, But it May
Reach Into the Thousands -- Wo-
men and Wine Mixed With a Streak
of Honesty -- "All in the Business."

     F. A. Walton, money clerk in the Pacific express office at this place, is missing and it is not known how much money may be found to be missing with him. Mr. Garrison, the affable agent, says the shortage definitely traced against Walton to date is $38, but it is possible for that amount to be increased to the thousands, possibly $35,000 to $40,000. Developments will have to be awaited until it is known just how much the company is out by Walton's escapade.
     Walton was at his desk last Sunday and did his work up to Sunday night.  All trace of him was lost at 10 o'clock on that night and the endeavors of a corps of officers and detectives since Monday morning to locate him or learn the cause of his mysterious disappearance have been fruitless.  There is reason for a supposition that he went north, but it is very flimsy, and as a matter of fact, Waltons' disappearance is as mysterious as if the earth had gulped him in through some great cavity.
     He left the safe locked, but it was opened Monday morning by Mr. Garrison who found the contents intact, so far as could be ascertained, not a dollar was missing.  He could have taken $100,000, and so, it is not known what he did take.
     Walton has been in the employ of the company at this place since the 5th of last October. He is a young unmarried man and his course, up to the day he was missing, was of such a straightforward pattern, that the eye of suspicion was never raised against him. In fact, those who had a casual acquaintance with him and even his fellow employes and the officials who were associated with him in the office daily, pronounced him a model young man.
     "He had an open countenance," said one and Mr. Garrison testified to his good business qualities and his punctuality at all times. But, since his sudden leave has given occasion to investigate his morals and his habits, Mr. Garrison says they are found not to be of the most savory kind. The great evils that drag so many young men down to ruin -- women and wine -- doubtless caused the young money clerk to depart from the rugged path of honesty and fall a victim to the consequences that are sure to follow such indulgence, even though it be moderate. It has been learned that he dissipated during business hours, though there are no developments to show that he gambled.
     "It is all in the business," said Mr. Garrison, and he related an incident that initiated him in such experiences as sometimes fall to the lot of express companies. "It was about six years ago," he said, and we were new in this country and I was a stranger in the community. I came down to the office one morning and I found my shipping and money clerks and a driver all gone. They left at midnight on the Central train, which then passed through here at that hour. You bet I was sick when I discovered their French leave-taking. I didn't miss anything just then, but afterwards discovered a small loss of money. I went to work to catch the men.  One of them I caught myself down here about Cleburne on what was then known as the Texas and Mexian road, another was captured up in Iowa, and the next I heard of the third man, he was up in Wisconsin writing for a job. They all left with female companions and went out for a lark. One of these men I know pretty well, and he does business with the company, but not for it."
     It is simply a case of honesty or dishonesty with a money clerk in an express office, and the latter quality is never known until it breaks out.  He has the handling and shipping of all monies and there is no string tied to him.
     LATER - Bud Kirby, city detective, informed a T
IMES-HERALD reporter that a package containing $35,000 is missing.

- February 5, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1,. col. 6.
- o o o -



     ST. LOUIS, Feb. 5. - One of the biggest sensations since the famous "Jim" Cummings robbery of Express Messenger Frothingham on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad, securing between $50,000 and $75,000 of the Pacific Express Company's cash, was occasioned to-day when L. A. Fuller, Superintendent of the Pacific Express Company, was notified by the Commercial Bank of this city that a package containing $35,000 in greenbacks, consigned to that bank by the City National Bank of Dallas, Texas, and for which the Commercial Bank held the receipt of the Pacific Express Company, was missing.
     On Feb. 1, the City National Bank of Dallas remitted to the Commercial Bank of St. Louis, the sum of $50,000, of which amount $15,000 in gold, was contained in a canvas bag, and $35,000 in bills were inclosed in a regular express package. The gold was duly received two days ago, and delivered to the bank. The bank reported to Superintendent Fuller that the gold was only a part of the remittance from the City National Bank, and that the bank held receipts for two packages, one of $35,000 and one of $15,000.
     On receipt of this information, Superintendent Fuller at once telegraphed Assistant Aiken, at Dallas, notifying him of his shortage, and asking him to investigate and forward information as soon as possible. Mr. Aiken replied that there was no trace of the missing package there. This fully confirmed Superintendent Fuller's fears, and with it, came the additionally astounding information that money clerk of the Dallas office, a young man named F. A. Walton, had been missing since last Sunday night. Walton's flight led to the belief at Dallas that he must be a defaulter, and an investigation was at once instituted, but without result, as the cash of the Dallas office was found to be intact.
     When the Assistant Superintendent received Superintendent Fuller's message, however, it opened up a new avenue for investigation, and the cunning scheme of Walton to secure delay in the discovery of the shortage was unfolded. He had made out two receipts, which were on file in the Dallas office-one for $15,000 and one for $35,000-on one blank.  On the duplicate forwarded to St. Louis, however, no mention was made of the $35,000, and it was not until the Commercial Bank of this city had notified the Dallas Bank of the receipt of only $15,000 of the $50,000 that there was the least suspicion of anything wrong.  After pursuing this line of inquiry to the end, Assistant Superintendent Aiken telegraphed as follows to Superintendent Fuller:
     Walton, our money clerk, has taken the $35,000. He was with the American Express Company, at Ionia, Mich., five years.  He came to us from Wells, Fargo & Co.  His father resides at St. Joseph, Mo.  Have traced him to Indian Territory, and have a detective on his track.
     To-night, Superintendent Fuller said that Walton was always considered a young man of good habits. The Guarantee Company of New-York is on his bond for $2,000. Walton had been with the company since last October. He was first employed in the office at Jefferson, Texas, and from there went to Dallas in November last. He is twenty-five years of age and unmarried.

- February 6, 1890, The New York Times, p. 1, col. 6.
- o o o -

Walton in Canada
The Fly Young Man Located in Toronto....

     St. Louis, Feb. 13. - Supt. Fuller of the Pacific Express company has received a telegram notifying him that F. A. Walton, the money clerk, who stole $35,000 of the company's money at Dallas some days ago, has been traced to Toronto, Canada.  No arrest has yet been made, but Supt. Fuller says if it can be proven that Walton carried [away] any part of the stolen money into Canada, he can be tried there for grand larceny and punished.  Mr. Fuller also says that there will be nno let up in this matter until Walton is definitely located, captured and punished for his crime.

- February 13, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3.
- o o o -


     The case of Express Money Clerk Walton, who was arrested the other day in New Brunswick, is not an extraditable one. If the larger part of the $35,000 should be found to have been left in Dallas, and all the facts connected therewith could be published, it would make mighty interesting reading.

- February 25, 1890, The Dallas Morning News, p. 1.
- o o o -

Walton's Case.

     St. Johns, N. B., Feb. 26. - Detective Carpenter arrived from Montreal this afternoon with a warrant for the arrest of Frederick Walton, who absconded with funds of the Pacific express Company of Dallas, Tex. An effort is now being made to have Walton taken back to Montreal, but it is not believed it will be successful.

- February 27, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 5.
- o o o -




Detectives Charged with Appropriating
to Their Own Use Gold Coin.
The Most Complicated Case of
Modern Times.

     ST. JOHNS, N. F., Feb. 28. - It now appears that when Walton, the Dallas express robber, was arrested and searched in St. Johns, the act was illegal as there was no warrant issued by the Montreal authorities until two days later.  In court yesterday, the prisoner's counsel turned the tables by reading affidavits charging Detectives Goss and Express Messenger Vickers with having appropriated to their own use, money taken from Walton.  Gross and Vickers took the gold coin to Page & Ferguson's jewelry store and had their intitials and date engraved thereon to-day, melting up the coin as a souvenir metal of the arrest.  The judge was thunderstruck and issued an order for the examination of all parties concerned under oath.  He said he would make the most searching investigation into the arrest and treatment of the prisoner if it took three months.  This defiance of the court in holding back Walton's gold coin is likely to result in serious trouble to the Montreal officers, and coupled with their attempt to induce the chief of police to disregard a supreme judge's habeas corpus order of the prisoner to Montreal, has aroused public indignation.  Judge Palmer considers the situation so complicated that he will consult Judges King and Tuck, and probably Sir John Allen, chief justice of New Brunswick, before rendering his final decision.  Attorney General Blair, the provincial premier, has also been communicated with, and it is likely that the crown will be represented before many days.

- February 28, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 6.
- o o o -


The Result of a Compromise by
Which All but Some of the Stolen
Money is Returned.

     St. John, New Brunswick, Mar. 3. - The greatest surprise in the Walton case was given to-day. When the court opened, John Kerr, counsel for the Montreal detectives, the Pinkerton detectives and the Pacific Express Company, arose and informed the judge that he had carefully examined the information against Walton and the authorities governing the same, and was prepared to admit that the information was faulty, and, consequently, the warrant was of no avail. The only thing, Mr. Kerr said, for the judge to do, was to issue an order for Walton's discharge. Judge Palmer said he was glad Mr. Kerr was satisfied such was the case, for his mind (the judge's) was not so clear on the subject. The judge then directed Dr. Alward to draw up two copies of an order for the discharge of Walton and submit them to him. The surprise was great when the court was finally adjourned and no mention was made of the serious statement brought out at yesterday's proceedings and strongly condemned by the Judge, who announced his intention of bringing all persons concerned, before him. The order for the discharge of the prisoner was made, and at 2:15, in the presence of all the detectives and express officials and the prisoner's father and lawyer, Walton was given his liberty by the chief of police. All the money and other property taken from him when arrested was returned to him.
     When the package of money was returned, F. W. Walton, the father of the embezzler, stepped up and said: "Fred, in the presence of these witnesses, you give this to me," and Fred replied: "I do." Walton, the express men, and the detectives, then returned to the Dufferin hotel, and all the parties, including young Walton, left the city this afternoon.
     The collapse of the proceedings was due to a compromise. Although the terms are kept secret, it is alleged that a guarantee has been given that all further prosecution will be stopped, and the express company lost only $6000, the rest being returned.

- March 3, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 5.
- o o o -


Walton's Confidential Friend
Yields Up $16,940.




L. W. Fuller and W. F. Walton,
Father of the Embezzler, in
the City-The Very Sen-
sational Ending of
a Bold Robbery.

     Startling developments in the Walton embezzlement case came to light last night and to-day. The facts in the case as gleaned by a TIMES-HERALD reporter are as follows:
     Last evening's incoming Texas & Pacific train from the north carried as passengers, L. W. Fuller, general superintendent of the Pacific Express Company, and W. F. Walton, of Detroit, Mich., father of Fred Walton, who plunged to Canada with a package containing $35,000.  At the depot in East Dallas, the visitors were welcomed by Col. Aiken, assistant superintendent; W. L. Garrison and Detective McCane. Two hacks had been chartered, closely covered and with the curtains drawn. After a hasty consultation, the party were driven east on Elm street to the Pacific Express office, where a short stop was made. A T
IMES-HERALD reporter "sized up" the crowd and smelled a large-sized mouse, and from 10 o'clock until 1 o'clock this morning, he never lost track of the game.  Between the hours of 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock last evening, a carriage containing Aiken, Walton and McCane was brought to a halt before a noted house of ill-fame in what is known as "Tommytown," and two of the three parties alighted and entered the building.  They were there not more than twenty minutes, when the door was re-opened and out came the twain, one of them carrying a package, which must have been valuable, judging by the way he hugged it to his manly bosom.
     They jumped into the carriage, the door closed with a bang, and the driver drove with the speed of the wind to the headquarters of the Pacific Express company, or rather, to the office of Col. Aiken. The mysterious package contained $16,940, entrusted by Walton to the party who surrendered it to the officials of the express company and the detectives. The money was counted again to-day and $16,940 is the sum recovered, making $24,940 in all surrendered by the thief or captured by the detective.
     A thousand and one different versions of the affair have been flying about town to-day, and plenty of men have been found ready to hear that young Walton is in the city, and that they have looked upon his fat and florid countenance with their own eyes. These gentlemen are mistaken. The thief is not in the city and is not in the United States. He is across the border line and whatever promises of immunity from prosecution promised him hinge upon the restoration of all the available cash in his possession and what he has planted.  The father of the young reprobate is an honest man, a railroad engineer, who makes his home in Detroit.  He is doing all in his power to "square matters" with the company and repair the gross wrong perpetrated by his son.  Col. Fuller and Walton still remains in Dallas, and it is understood that they will depart for the north to-morrow.


     One week ago last Sunday night, while prowling about the city, a TIMES-HERALD reporter ran across Phil. Hogan, of St. Louis, for several years with Tom Furlong's detective force, but for the past year, a special officer in the service of a well-known corporation. "I am here on a vacation," murmured Hogan in answer to a pointed question fired at him: "Just a vacation, to recover from the effects of a broken foot." The vacation was all in his eye, and the emissary of the press determined to keep close watch on the movements of the gentleman from the Future Great.  Day and night, he was flying about the city. He frequented sporting resorts, visited dives, took in the town, and in a very short time, had established himself on a solid footing with the fly young men and the dashing cyprians who were Walton's associates during his residence in Dallas. Occasionally, McCane refused to talk about the matter to-day, but the TIMES-HERALD reporter has it straight, that the party who had the money has been under surveillance for more than two weeks and would have been arrested the moment he attempted to leave town.  It was a clever bit of work all around, and no mistake.  The name of the party who was the custodian of the funds is withheld. It was not Eva Howard or Georgie Carlin, as intimated in the morning publication.
     Gentlemen, continue the work.  The T
IMES-HERALD'S detective will shadow you if the closing chapter of the Book of Walton has not been written.  As the game stands, Walton is in the soup and the express officials and the detectives who have "worked the case" are, to use a slang expression, "wearing diamonds."

- March 6, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1.
- o o o -




Another Brief Chapter of the Book
of Walton, Surnamed the Crook
- The Irishman's Flea Nowhere.

     "And the subsequent proceedings interested him no more." Who? The reporter, there were two of them, that attempted to locate Fred Walton last night.  They had company, good company - Sheriff Lewis and a batch of deupties. At 7:30 last night, it was rumored about the streets, in the saloons and other resorts, and whispered by hack drivers and swore to by other individuals, that Fred Walton was in the city.  That he was keeping shady in a private room adjacent to the office of Colonel Aiken in the building occupied by the Pacific Express Company.
     A T
IMES-HERALD representative camped at one corner of the building; Colonel William O'Leary of the News, pitched his tent under the frowning guns of the fortress, and Sheriff Lewis and two deputies flitted about here and there.  A rush was made for the second story at 8 o'clock, and a thorough search of the rooms was made by Sheriff Lewis, who had determined that the crime of compounding a felony under his very nose should not be permitted if he could prevent it.  W. F. Walton, father of the embezzler, was in the room, considerably under the influence of liquor.  L. W. Fuller of St. Louis, was in the room, not under the influence of liquor.  He never catches flies with vinegar.  Other parties were also present. One and all, they denied the presence of Walton, junior.
     At 8:30, Col. Fuller and W. F. Walton proceeded to the depot and boarded the east-bound train for Texarkana.  Two deputy sheriffs and several gentlemen, who are not deputy sheriffs, followed suit and rode out to the Santa Fe crossing, where the train slowed up and Deputy Andy Moore noticed a closely muffled figure approaching the train.  The fellow answered the description of Walton.  He was commanded to surrender, but turned on his heel and ran like a deer, his speed being accelerated by a couple of pistol shots discharged at him by Andy Moore.  In the darkness, the fellow escaped.  It is not known whether the stranger was Walton or some individual "down at the heel" endeavoring to steal a ride.
     The woman in the case had a consultation with Col. Fuller last night before his departure.
     "There is more behind this," said a well-known gentleman last night.  "The unknown male friend of Walton and the woman who figured in the case, and it will all come out in good time."
     The T
IMES-HERALD stated yesterday that Walton was not in the city. It stands pat.

- March 7, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1.
- o o o -


A Dallas Demimonde Secures the
Arrest of Walton's Betrayers.

     MONTREAL, Can., April 26.-Brady and Laird, the gamblers, and Aggie Ashton, the keeper of a sporting house in this city, arrived in Montreal last night, and were arrested on a charge of having in their keeping, a large sum of money taken from Fred Walton, the Pacific express robber.  He paid Brady $2000 to get him out of the country, and it is said that the trio got away with $7000 or $8000 of the boodle.  A well-known member of the Dallas demimonde, Walton's mistress, secured their arrest.  She has been on their track for some time to avenge the treatment of her lover.

- April 26, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 1.
- o o o -


The Express Robber Said to be in

     Fred Walton is said to be in Montreal, where Laird and Brady, the gamblers who fleeced the gay and festive fat-faced blonde out of several thousand dollars, are in custody.  Aggie Ashton, the woman who accompanied the men from Hot Springs to Montreal, is also under arrest.  What disposition of these cases will be made, remains to be seen.
     Walton is a "nervy" individual. He carries his gall with him.  There is not a shadow of a doubt, now, as to his presence in Dallas when the $17,600 was recovered from the keeper of a bagnio.  He was in the city for two days, and after departing from this city, when the officers were in quest of him, the embezzler filled his tank at Texarkana and became blind drunk.
     His soft, insinuating address and affable ways threw dust in the eyes of his employers, as it is said that Col. Aiken's attention was called to the fact that Walton was spending money like a prince as far back as the 10th of January last.
     However, his ill-gotten gains have done him but little good.  More than $28,000 of the boodle has been recovered, and if Laird and Brady have the balance in their keeping, it will be "sweated out" of them before the minions of the law relinquish their hold.

- April 29, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
- o o o -


The Female Who Snared Walton's
Canadian Friends.

     Georgie Dubeck, is the name of the Dallas cyprian who visited Montreal and ingratiated herself into the good graces of Laird and Brady, the gamblers, who fleeced Fred Walton.  Georgie took rooms at the sporting house of Aggie Ashton, and was soon established on a friendly footing with the gamblers.  They admitted "rolling" Walton for $8000.  This evidence was imparted to the police and their arrest followed.

- April 30, 1890, The Dallas Morning News, p. 2. col. 1.
- o o o -


The Embezzler and Geor-
gie Carling in


The Dashing Georgie Carling With
the Embezzler.

     MONTREAL, May 5.-Walton, the defaulting clerk of the Pacific Express Company, who was employed at Dallas, Texas, and a woman named Georgie Carling, arrived here last evening.  They will give evidence in the case of the express company against Frank Brady, Aggie Ashton, J. C. Laird and Nellie Leslie, and it is expected will clear up the mystery in connection with the $8000, which the company claims the accused still have in their possession.  Walton will be secured against arrest while here in connection with the matter.

- May 6, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3.
- o o o -


He Testifies Against the Montreal

     THE TIMES-HERALD yesterday contained a telegram from Montreal noting the arrival of Fred and Walton and Georgia Carlin in that city. The following is his testimony against the gamblers and prostitutes with whom he associated with in Montreal on the occasion of his first visit to that city.  He had $15,000 when he arrived, he said, and after spending three days in a hotel reading novels and drinking whisky. [as given] Half an hour [later], he met a lady at the hotel.  In the meantime, Walton gave her $115 for "fun."  He said the woman was Nellie Leslie.  She invited him to go to the Ashton house, where she lived and Fred accepted the invitation, taking his valise full of packages of $5, $10, 20, $50 and $100 bills with him.  He then testified: "I went to Nellie's room between 9 and 10 o'clock in the evening and stayed there.  On the second night, I saw Aggie Ashton, Brady and Laird.  I had a good deal of whisky and woke at noon the next day with a headache.  I then told Nellie I had stolen the money. She told me she had a friend named Jack Harris who would help me to get away and to whom she introduced me. Laird and Ashton suggested that I should go to Laird's house, and it was then arranged for me to leave for the West Indies. I don't know how much money I spent in Ashton's.  I was under the influence of liquor until Tuesday.  I left Aggie's on Monday night in company with Nellie, Laird and Brady and drove to Laird's room.  I don't know where it was.  Nellie staid all the time with me in Laird's room.  I first opened my valise on that evening in Nellie's room. I did not re-lock it.  I staid in Laird's room until Tuesday night.  I opened my valise at Laird's. I was given the bed. Brady and Laird slept on the floor.  Brady and Laird were whispering to one another while lying on the floor.  About 3 o'clock, Brady left and Laird came to bed.  Brady went out and got some medicine, which he said would be good for my nervousness.  I told him that I thought it was a drug.  At that, Brady got mad and told me that unless I acted better, he would not help me to escape.  I took the medicine that night two or three times.  It made me kind of drowsy.  Brady told me that there were a great many detectives in Montreal and that they were all pretty smart men.  They asked me where I was going and I told them to the West Indies.  Laird proposed going to St. Johns, N. B., and Brady thought he would go, too.  They did not make any demand upon me until they reached St. Johns.  I gave Nellie $15 on the morning of Tuesday.  I had given her $115 at the hotel.  She took money out of my stocking to pay for wine. Brady said the next day there were wine bottles all over the house.  This was at Ashton's.  Laird bought tickets in the afternoon with money I had given him.  I asked Brady if he was a gambler and gave him $50 or $60 to gamble with.  I also gave Laird money to buy victuals with, and for gambling purposes.
     Walton's evidence produced a consternation; when it is continued it is expected he will have more startling revelations to make.  Georgia Carlan, the woman to whom he gave $17,000 in Dallas, and who came here and secured confessions from the inmates of Ashton's house, will follow Walton on the stand, and her testimony and remarkable detective work in the case will create a sensation.

- May 7, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 3.
- o o o -

The Walton Case.

The Defaulting Clerk and Georgie Carling
Witness for the Express Company.

     Montreal, May 6.- Walton, the defaulting clerk of the Pacfic company, who was employed at Dallas, Texas, and the woman named Georgie Carling, arrived here last evening.  They will give evidence in the case of the express company against Frank Brady, Aggie Ashton, J. C. Laird and Nellie Leslie, and it is expected will clear up the mystery in connection with the $8,000, which the company claims the accused still have in their possession.  Walton will be secured against arrest while here in Connecticut with this matter.

- May 7, 1890, The Dallas Morning News, p. 2, col. 4.
- o o o -




The Part Played by Laird, Brady
and Aggie Ashton - The Dallas
Woman's Innocence Maintained
by Walton.

     MONTREAL, P.Q., May 8-The proceedings in the great Walton robbery case assumed an important phrase yesterday, when evidence was given by Walton showing where the missing $8000 went.  After his arrival at St. John with the prisoners, Walton said they all went to Dufferin hotel, where they registered under assumed names.  Walton slept with Brady, Laird being sick.  He never left the room all the next day.  After buying some seidlitz powder and novels, Laird went into another room, and Brady, remaining with Walton, said that he would have to "do the right thing."  To this appeal for money, Walton gave up $1500, $500 of which, was for Laird.  Brady asked for more, but he refused.  Later on, Laird asked Walton if he had any more money than he had with him and Walton said "yes, I have $17,000 with a woman in New Orleans. (This was the Dallas woman, Georgia Carlin.)  Laird asked me if I would give him (Laird) an order to go and see the woman and get her to go to St. John with the money, and asked how much it was worth.  "About $2,000, replied Walton. But, Laird said he thought it was worth $4,000, but that he would come down to $3000 and pay all his own expenses.  Previous to that, I had told him all about how I had stolen the money.  The three of us left the room together for supper.  I locked the door of my room and put the key into my pocket.  After we started to go down stairs, Brady stated that he wanted to go back for some medicine and asked me for the key.  I gave it to him and he returned.  He was absent about fifteen minutes, as Laird and myself were then nearly through our supper.  The valise was then in the room and contained all the money. It was not locked when I left for supper.  When Brady returned from the room, he was very nervous and ate only a piece of toast and drank a cup of tea.  After supper, we returned to the room, talked a few minutes and then went out for a drive.  I locked the door and carried the key with me this time.  The party visited several houses of questionable repute and drank beer and ginger ale.  When we returned to the Dufferin hotel, we went into the bar where Brady introduced me to a man named Boon.  I heard Brady tell Boon not to tell any one that he (Brady) had been in St. John.  We went to bed that night about 11 o'clock.  Brady slept with me and Laird slept in the other room.  When we awoke the next morning, Brady said I had better find another place, as detectives were looking for some prisoner.  After breakfast, we drove to the station and they left their valises and overcoats there.  Then, we drove to the Clifton House. They told me I had better go in and register alone, and that they would go and get my ticket for the West Indies.  I registered and was assigned to room thirty-one.  They returned in half an hour and gave me a ticket.  I asked Brady how much it was. He said $50, and I gave him that amount.  They then bade me good-bye, wished me good luck and left.  They both left their cards with me and asked me to write them.  They said their names were Frank Brady and John Laird.  This was the first time I knew Laird's name was not Harris.  I never saw them again until I saw them in this court."
     The next Saturday morning, Walton checked over his money for the first time and he was dismayed to find that he had only $6340 left in his valise in which there had been $17,000 altogether.  Allowing for what he had spent, Walton found a deficit of between $7000 and $8000, and accounted for it in this way: "While I was in Nellie Leslie's room, my valise was unlocked, and when I was in the Dufferin hotel, it was unlocked, more particularly, when Brady went back into my room when we were going to supper.  I believe that these people took the money.  I was with no other people, but these two, and the people in Aggie Ashton's house."
     Walton then described how immediately after the robbery in February, he went to a house of prostitution kept by Eva Howard in Dallas and met Georgie Carlin.  He had known her about four months. He did not tell her of his crime until next morning.  He had with him, $17,000, which he gave to Georgia Carlin to keep for him.  It was in a package of $500 bills.  He asked the girl to keep it until she should hear from him, and told her he was going to Mexico.  They also agreed, that as soon as he got safely away, she would join him, and together, they could enjoy the fruits of Walton's crime.  It was not entirely due to the solicitations of the Carlin woman that he took the money - in fact, she had no part in inducing him to commit the crime.

- May 8, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 1.
- o o o -


     MONTREAL, June 20.-The great Brady-Ashton-Laird-Leslie larceny case, which has been hanging fire so long, came to an end to-day, and all the prisoners were acquitted.  The charge made against them was the larceny of $8,000 of the ill-gotten gains of Fred Walton, the absconding cashier of the Pacific Express Company of Dallas, Texas, who embezzled $35,000 and fled to Canada.  While in Montreal, he fell in with the four prisoners.
     Walton was scared into fleeing to St. John, N. B., where he was to take a steamer for the West Indies.  As will be remembered, he was arrested when he was on the point of doing so, but he was liberated on a technicality.  He made a clean breast of his doings in Montreal to Detective Grosse, with the result that all four of the accused were arrested on charges of larceny and conspiracy.  The jury returned a verdict of "not guilty."  There was great surprise in court when the announcement was made.

- June 21, 1890, The New York Times, p. 4, col. 6.
- o o o -




It is Understood that He Has
Been Located and Warrants
Placed in the Proper Hands.

     Fred Walton's record as a thief and defaulter is pretty familiar with the TIMES-HERALD readers.
     This paper first exposed his short-comings, his flight and his theft of $30,000 from the office of the Pacific Express Company in this city; his capture in Canada; the recovery of the boodle there, or at least a portion of it; his return to Dallas, the finding of $16,500 at the bagnio kept by Georgia Carlin, and the way he eluded the officers in this city at the time.
     Walton was indicted by the grand jury of Dallas county for theft and embezzlement, and Sheriff Lewis and Chief Arnold were equally anxious to lay hold of him, but he escaped their clutches by means best known to the men who figured in the case.
     It has been generally supposed that when the money had been recovered that prosecution would be dropped and that Walton would be unmolested.  That part of the programme may have been satisfactory to the express company, but there is another powerful corporation that has taken a hand in the matter - the Security Guarantee Company of New York City, which was on Walton's bond for $2500.  Of course, there is no way for the company to recover, but its officials desire to make an example of Walton and place him in the custody of the proper authorities to stand trial in Texas for his crimes.
Detectives have been on his trail since the trial at Montreal, when the balance of the boodle was recovered from the Canadian gamblers who fleeced Walton.  The latter, who is in the United States, has been located.  New warrants, the T
IMES-HERALD has it on reliable authority, have been issued and placed in the hands of the agents of the Secuirty company.
     The chances are that Walton will be an inmate of the Texas penitentiary before many months roll around.

- August 8, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 6.
- o o o -

No. 5

Date of Arrest/Person Arrested/Violation/Amt of Fine/Amt Paid/Remarks

2 Nov 1891 / Carlin, Georgia / Vagrant / $5 / $5 / [No remarks]

- o o o -



WALTON, Fred A. -- Theft over $20. Age 27 years; height 5 feet 6 inches; weight 150 pounds; color white; complexion light; eyes grey; hair light; occupation express agent. Smooth face.

- o o o -

Justice Courts.

     The late grand jury returned indictments against a large number of keepers of disorderly houses, and last evening, Constable Morton swooped down on the landladies.  They gave bond for their appearance.  The following parties will be arraigned in Justice Lauderdale's court on April 11: Fannie Howard, Belle Wood, Mary Black, Dollie Housell, Mary Burleigh, Maggie Johnson, Maud Shirley, Tillie Morris, Georgie Carlin and Emily J. Merrill.
     In Justice Skelton's court, the following parties will be arraigned: Jane Manley, Hattie Melville, Gertie Kahn, Carrie Burnell, Nina Fleming, Fannie Hamilton and Clara Barclow.
     A number of indictments were returned against the owners of the property occupied by these women.

- March 31, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 5.
- o o o -


A Fat Roll of Greenbacks and Several
Diamond Rings.

     Georgie Carlin, mistress of a sporting house in South Dallas, reported to the officers this morning that a bold robbery had taken place at her establishment last night and that she figured as the victim.  According to Madame Carlin, at a late hour, while she was slightly under the influence of rosy wine, an unknown man jammed a big six-shooter in her face and forced her to deliver over into his custody, $400 in greenbacks and several diamond rings.  The alleged robber then beat a hasty retreat and the woman telephoned for the sheriff and the police force.  The officers are investigating the affair.

- August 21, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 2.
- o o o -


A Place Where Stolen Goods are Mys-
teriously Restored to the Owners.

     The burglary of Georgia Carlin's house, reported to police headquarters yesterday morning, turned out, on investigation, to be a false alarm. The diamonds and money that Georgia thought had been stolen, the colored woman had hidden away against a possible burglarious visitation. "They have some queer robberies in the First ward," remarked Detective Kirby. "No end of times we have been asked to look for jewelry and money stolen, when it would suddenly turn up in the house somewhere and the matter smoothed over, as if it had simply been mislaid. Sometimes, I suppose it is mislaid, while at other times, those who stole it, get frightened and bring it back. But, Lord, since they have got to hitting 'coc' down there, it is worse than ever.  Any sort of a sensation is liable to sprung from the First ward."

- August 22, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 2.
- o o o -

Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory
of the City of Dallas, 1894-95:

     Carlin, Miss Georgie, residence 100 Sam Cross, south end of Market. Phone 565.


Evans & Worley Dallas City Directory, 1896:

     Carlin, Miss Georgie, residence 100 Sam Cross, south end of Market. Phone 565.


Real Estate Transfers.

     Jacob Keller to Georgie DeBeque, lot on Jackson and Poydras streets, $4,000.

- August 14, 1897, The Dallas Morning News, p. 8.
- o o o -


Evans & Worley Dallas City Directory, 1897:

     Carlin, Miss Georgie, residence 100 Sam Cross, south end of Market. Phone 565.
     Dunbar, Mrs. Maud N., residence 233 Jackson, corner of Poydras.

(Note: Maude Dunbar was also a prostitute,
and was residing, in 1897, at the future
location of Georgia Carlin's bordello)


Worley's Directory of the City of Dallas, 1898-99:

     Carlin, Miss Georgie, residence 233 Jackson, Phone 565.


1899 Sanborn fire insurance map showing the location of
Georgia Carlin's one-story frame bordello at 233 Jackson St., at
Poydras. (The red arrows are pointing in an east-northeasterly direction)


     During the week that ended yesterday, April 21, the city engineer, Hugh Raines, issued the following permits:

     Miss Georgie Carlin, repairs on dwelling, 233 Jackson, $50.

- April 22, 1900, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 7.
- o o o -


Worley's Directory of the City of Dallas, 1900:

     Carlin, Miss Georgia, 233 Jackson.


June 4, 1900

(click here for enlarged view)

     The 1900 Dallas County census1 (erroneously) shows "Texas" as Georgie's place of birth, her father born in France, and her mother in Maine.  Georgie is listed as "widowed," her occupation as "Mistress House Prostitution," and owning her home at 233 Jackson.  Bessie Henderson, a boarder, single, is also living in the household.  She was born October 1877, in Michigan, and was 22 at the time.  Both of her parents were also born in Michigan.  Bessie's occupation is listed as "Prostitute."


     Miss Georgie Carlin died yesterday afternoon at 233 Jackson Street.

- December 20, 1901, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 2.
- o o o -

Mortuary Matters.

     Mrs. Georgie Carlin died yesterday about noon on Jackson street.

- December 20, 1901, The Dallas Morning News, p. 10, col. 5.
- o o o -


City of Dallas Death Records10

Name of deceased: Georgia DeBeque
Date of Death: December 19, 1901
Place of Death: Jackson St.
Gender/Race: White female
Age: 40
Cause of Death: Cardiac Failure


Worley's Directory of the City of Dallas, 1901:

     Collins, Mrs. George, residence 233 Jackson.


The inventory of Georgia DeBeck's estate provides
a rare glimpse of the
inner landscape of a bordello

No. 3145.
In the Matter of
the Estate of
Georgie Debeque, Dec'd

Probate Court,

Dallas County, Texas.

To the Honorable Judge of said Court:

     Now at this time comes Paul Nichols, heretofore appointed temporary administrator of the estate of Georgie Debeque, deceased, and as such makes this his full report of his actions as temporary administrator.
     Your administrator would show that in obedience to the order of this court immediately upon his appointment, that he took charge of and proceeded to collect and now holds in his possession, all of the estate of Georgie Debeque, deceased, that came to his knowledge. That said estate consist[s] of real and personal property hereinafter described:

Personal property received by temporary administrator:

Cash from banks


Cash in possession of the deceased at the time of her death


Received on account of rents from real estate since his appointment



Total Moneys received from all sources


Your administrator has paid bills against said estate as per Exhibit "A" hereto attached and made a part hereof


Balance cash in hands of temporary administrator


Other personal property received by your administrator and held by him as follows:  
1. Household and kitchen furniture located in the building
known as #233 Jackson Street, Dallas, Texas, as per Exhibit
"B" hereto attached and made a part hereof.

2. Jewelry as follows:
One pair of Diamond earrings
Three diamond rings
One large gold locket.
One small gold locket
Two gold chains
One gold thimble.

3. Two trunks filled with the wearing apparel of deceased.
Several family pictures
One clock
Four pair of blankets
114 volume[s] of books.
These items being in the personal possession of your administrator.
4. A number of foreign and souvenir coins, perhaps, 50 in number.
Real estate your administrator has in his possession and under his control.
A certain piece of real estate belonging to said estate same being a lot 50 x 100 feet on the N. E. corner of Jackson and Poydras streets in the City of Dallas, Dallas County, Texas, upon which is located a one story frame residence.

Submitting this his full and complete report of his acts as temporary administrator, duly sworn to your administrator respectfully asks the approval of same by this court.

Paul Nichols /s/


State of Texas,
County of Dallas.

     Before the undersigned authority on this day personally appeared Paul Nichols, who being duly sworn deposes and says:
      That the foregoing report made by him as temporary administrator of the estate of Georgie Debeque, deceased, is a full and complete report of all his acts as temporary administrator of said estate.

     Sworn to & subscribed before me this 28 day of April 1902-

A. S. Jackson, Clerk Co. Court
Dallas Co., Tex.
by B. F. Cullom, Deputy



Room One:

1 White Iron Bedstead
1 White Dresser
1 White Table
1 White Comb. [Combination] Bookcase and Desk.
1 White Cor. Wardrobe
1 White Easel
1 White Washstand
1 Stove with pipe and screen
1 Electric Ceeling (sic) Fan
1 Sofa
2 Red Plush Footstools
2 Rockers
1 Bamboo Screen
7 Pictures
Carpets and Matting
1 Bed Spring
2 Mattresses
1 Sheet
1 Pillow and case
1 Toilet Set, 6 pieces
2 Green Shades
2 Pair Lace Curtains.

Room Two:

1 Bowers Wall Hatrack


1 Inlaid Umbrella Stand
Oilcloth on Floor.

Room Three:

1 Oak Bedstead
1 Oak Dresser
1 Oak Washstand
1 Oak Wardrobe
1 Oak Center Table
1 Lounge
1 Music Box
1 Rocker
Carpet and Matting
2 Shades
2 Pair Lace Curtains
2 Pictures
1 Stove with pipe and screen
1 Ceiling Fan
1 Electric Light and Globe
1 Toilet Set 6 Pieces
1 Spring, 2 mattresses, 1 Sheet.

Room Four:

1 Walnut Bedstead.
1 Walnut Dresser
1 Walnut Dbl. Wardrobe
1 Walnut Bookcase
3 Chairs
2 Shades
2 Pair Lace Curtains
1 Ceiling Fan
3 Electric Lights and Globes
1 Toilet Set 6 Pieces
1 Spring. 1 Mattress. 1 Sheet.

Room Five:

1 Oak Bed
1 Oak Dresser
1 Oak Washstand
1 Oak Wardrobe
1 Oak Table
1 Wicker Rocker
1 Oak Screen
1 Easy Chair
1 Toilet Set 6 Pieces
1 Ceiling Fan
1 Carpet
1 Rug, 1 Cuspidor
1 Spring, 2 Mattresses, 1 Sheet
4 Pillows
1 Bolster and case
1 Stove woth [with] pipe and screen.

Room Six:

1 Davenport
1 Chifonier
1 Washstand
2 Stuffed couches
1 Rocker, 1 Armchair
1 Stuffed Chair
1 Shade
1 Pair Lace Curtain and Pole
1 Stove with pipe and screen
2 Bolsters and Covers
1 Pillow and case
3 Comforts
2 Bedspreads
1 Carpet
1 Electric Light and Globe
1 Album
1 Bible

Room Seven, Dinning (sic) Room:

1 Oak Extension Table No. 24 Leaves
1 Oak China Closet
6 Oak D. R. [Dining Room] Chairs
1 Oak D. R. Arm Chair
1 Stove and pipe and flower board
2 Shades
2 Pair Lace Curtains
1 Electric Light and Globe

Room Eight, Bath Room:

1 Enameled Bath
1 Enameled Basin
1 Enameled Water Closet

1 Stove and pipe
1 Hamper
1 N. B. [New Brunswick?] Toilet Paper Holder
1 Towel Rack
1 Pat. Carpet Sweeper
1 Wall Broom
2 Pr. Face Towels
1 Slop Jar
1 Footstool
2 Jardineers
5 Napkins
1 Table Cloth
1 Shade
Oil Cloth
2 Wash Basins
1 Electric Light
44 Small Towels
11 Sheets
13 Pillow cases
5 Bedspreads
1 Table Pad
2 Musquito (sic) Bars
2 Chambers
8 Transom Covers
2 Chair Covers
1 Davenport
1 Shower.

Room Nine, Kitchen:

1 Ice Chest
7 Wine Glasses
5 Tumblers
1 Quaker Closet
1 Seove [Stove?]
3 Tables
2 Chairs
Lot of Cooking Utensils and Crockery
1 Step Ladder
2 Shades.


Georgia DeBeque, Deceased.

1. Cash in hands of temporary administrator


2. Household and kitchen furniture located
in the building known as 233 Jackson Street,
Dallas, Texas, of the value of


3. Jewelry as follows: one pair of diamond earrings ($380) three diamond rings ($160/$240/$195), 1 large gold locket ($10), 1 small gold locket ($4), 2 gold chains ($10), 1 gold thimble ($4), all valued at


4. 2 trunks filled with wearing apparel of deceased, several family pictures, 1 clock, 4 pair of blankets, 114 volumes of books, all of the value of


5. Foreign and souvenir coins 96 in number & 2 gold lockets or charms all valued at


6. 50 x 100 feet on the N. E. Corner of Jackson & Poydras Streets in the City of Dallas, Texas, fronting 50 feet on Jackson St. and 100 on Poydras St., the same having
a cottage and other improvements situated thereon, valued at




Total valuation Eleven thousand Seven hundred Nineteen & 33/100 Dollars

Dallas, Texas, Dec 24, 1901

Miss Georgia DeBeque Estate

To J. E. DUNN & CO., Dr.,
Undertakers, Embalmers and Funeral Directors.


Dec 19

Dec 21

Dec 21

Dec 21

Dec 21

Dec 21

To Embalming

To Robe

To Casket & Box

To Opening Grave

To Hearse

To 4 Carriages









  Received payment
Jas E. Dunn & Co.

Exhibit 'a'

} I, Allen E. DeBeque, Administrator
of the above named Estate do solemnly swear that the foregoing is a true, full and complete Inventory of all the property, real and personal, belonging to said Estate, that has come to my knowledge to this date,

Allen E. De Beque

            Sworn to and subscribed before me, this the 30th day of Apl A. D. 1902

Curtis Hancock
Notary Public, Dallas County, Texas

} Before the Undersigned Authority, this day
} personally appeared

Chas. F. Bolanz and Arthur A. Everts

Appraisers of the above named Estate, heretofore appointed by the Court, and each being duly sworn, says that the above and foregoing is a just and true Appraisement of the property pointed out to them as belonging to said estate.

Chas. F. Bolanz /s/
Arthur A. Everts /s/

Sworn to and subscribed before me, this the 30th day of April A. D. 1902

Curtis Hancock /s/
Notary Public Dallas County Texas


No. 3145.
In the matter of the estate
of Georgia DeBeque, Deceased
} April 28th, 1902.

          On this day coming on to be heard the application of Paul Nichols to be appointed permanent administrator of the above styled estate, and also the waiver of Allen E. DeBeque and C. B. DeBeque, brothers of the deceased, of their rights in favor of Curtis Hancock for such appointment; and after hearing the pleadings, evidence and argument of counsel, the Court concludes that either Allen E. DeBeque or C. B. DeBeque is entitled to be appointed rather than Paul Nichols a nephew of the deceased; and the Counsel for said Nichols objecting to the appointment of Curtis Hancock, it is ordered adjudged and decreed by the Court that Allen E. DeBeque be, and he is hereby appointed administrator of the estate of Georgia DeBeque, deceased and his bond fixed at Twenty four thousand Dollars & whereas same is given & approved and said DeBeque has taken the oath that letters issue to him.
          T. R. Yeargan and A. A. Everts be and they are hereby appointed appraisers to view and appraise the said estate.

Ed S. Laudedale
Co. Judge


          KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS: That whereas, heretofore to-wit; on about the day of December, 1901, Georgia Debeque departed this life intestate, and left an estate situated in the County of Dallas, where she resided at the time of her death, and whereas, a necessity exists for permanent administration thereon, Paul Nichols, having heretofore been appointed temporary administrator of said estate, and whereas, we the undersigned, Allen E. Debeque and Charles B. Debeque, were and are the next of kin of the deceased, who was our sister, said deceased having died leaving neither husband nor children, and whereas, we have the first right to administration on said estate, which right we desire to renounce and waive in favor of Curtis Hancock, a resident citizen of the said County of Dallas, Texas, of good character and who is not disqualified to act as administrator:
          Now therefore, in consideration of the premises, we the said Allen E. Debeque and Charles B. Debeque, do hereby waive and renounce our right to administration of said estate, being No. 3145 on the Probate Docket of Dallas County, and do hereby constitute and appoint said Curtis Hancock as our Agent and Attorney to receive letters of administration on said estate as provided by Revised Statutes, Article 1916, of the State of Texas.
          Witness our hands this 7th day of March, 1902.

Allen E. DeBeque /s/
C. B. DeBeque /s/

State of Texas,
County of Dallas.
} Probate County Court, Dallas County, Texas.

          Now comes Paul Nicholls, a resident citizen of Fannin County, Texas, and represents to the court as follows:
          First: That Georgia de Beck died in Dallas County, Texas, on the 19th day of December, 1901, possessed of property real and personal of the probable value of Seven Thousand Five Hundred ($7500.00) Dollars, situated in Dallas County, Texas; that said property consists of money and other personal effects and that there is no one to take charge of said property and the jewelry and other property of said decedent is liable to become misplaced and lost to her estate.
          Second: That said decedent owed debts including funeral expenses, and that Paul Nicholls, petitioner, is a nephew of decedent and is not disqualified by law to be appointed administrator.
          That it is necessary that a temporary administrator of the estate of Georgia de Beck, deceased, be appointed at once to take charge of said personal estate to preserve same and pay the funeral expenses of said decedent.  Said decedent left no will known to petitioner.
          Wherefore petitioner, Paul Nicholls, prays that he be appointed temporary administrator with authority to take charge of the real estate of said decedent and to collect up and take charge of the personal property consisting of the personal effects belonging to said decedent and the money due her and for such other authority as the court in its discretion may deem meet and proper, and will ever pray.

Paul Nicholls /s/

Sworn to & subscribed before me this 20th day of December 1901.

J. J. Eckford(?), Notary Public
Dallas County, Texas

No. 3145.

In the matter of
the Estate
Georgia DeBeque, Decd.
} In The County Court,
} Dallas County, Texas.

To the Honorable Judge of said Court:

          Now at this time comes Paul Nichols, applicant to be appointed permanent administrator of the above estate and in answer to the protest filed herein against said appointment respectfully submits:
          1. He denies each and every allegation of fraud and misreprensentation charged against him in said protest.
          2. Your applicant would respectfully show that he has done everything possible to collect the estate of the deceased and now believes that he has in his possession all the estate of which the deceased was possessed at the time of her death.
          3. Your applicant would further show that he is a nephew of the deceased; that she died intestate; that he is one of the heirs, and further shows that he, together with his sister, Daisy Nichols, owns by reason of inheritance a one-fourth interest in the estate and has acquired by purchase a one-half interest in said estate, that they, therefore, together own a one undivided three-fourths interest in said estate.
          Wherefore, your applicant prays that he be appointed permanent administrator to the end that he may protect the whole said estate for the benefit of the heirs of same subject to the future orders of this court.

Paul Nichols /s/


No. 3145.
In the matter of the Estate
of Georgie Debeque.

} In the County Court of
} Dallas County, Texas.

To the Hon. Judge of said Court: -
          Now comes Mrs. Nettie Harris and Mrs. Emma Norris, and show to the Court that they are nieces of the deceased who left neither father, mother, child nor husband, and they are therefore heirs of the deceased and interested in her estate.  They desire to contest the application of Paul Nichols to have his letters as temporary administrator further extended or to have permanent letters of administration granted to him; and for such contest they submit that the said Paul Nichols is an unfit person to act as administrator in this:
          That immediately after the death of the deceased said Paul Nichols procured himself to be appointed temporary administrator on representation that the value of said estate did not exceed Seventy-five hundred ($7500.00) dollars, and procured said estate to be turned over to him on a bond in double said amount; that having so obtained possession of said estate consisting of real estate of the value of Eight thousand ($8000.00) dollars and which has a rental value of one hundred and ten ($110.00) dollars per month, money amounting to about six thousand ($6000.00) dollars, jewelry of the value of about three thousand ($3000.00) dollars, and household goods, wearing apparel and other personal property of the value of three thousand ($3000.00) dollars; the whole estate aggregating as they are informed and believe nearly twenty thousand ($20,000.00) dollars, by misrepresenting the value thereof, and representing to these contestants that six thousand ($6000.00) dollars was the value of said estate, to one-fourth (1/4) of which they were entitled, and he procured from them, for the consideration of seven hundred and fifty ($750) dollars to each of them, a conveyance of all their right, title and interest in said estate being one-fourth (1/4) of the whole of said estate and being of the value of to-wit, five thousand ($5000.00) dollars.
          Contestants further aver that said Nichols should be required to file under oath a full and complete exhibit and statement of all property, money, jewels, household furniture, wearing apparel, etc., that have come into his hands as temporary administrator and should be required to submit himself to an examination under oath with reference to said matters.  Contestants aver that they have instituted suit to set aside the conveyance of their interest in said estate, procured to be conveyed to said Nichols in the aforesaid manner, and said suit is now pending. They aver that pending this contest some other fit person should be appointed to receive and hold said estate.
          Wherefore said contestants pray that the temporary letters heretofore granted to said Paul Nichols be revoked and that his application for permanent letters of administration be denied and that he be required to file an account and exhibit an inventory of all the property that has heretofore come into his hands as temporary administrator and his disposition of same, and that he be required to submit to an examination under oath with reference thereto, and they will ever so pray.

Crawford & Crawford (?) and
Cockrell ___, Attys for Contestants.

 Georgia A. DeBeck's burial location has not been determined, though there are members of her family buried in Oakland Cemetery, in Dallas. Perhaps she is buried
there in an unmarked grave.

1. Dallas County, Texas Federal Census, 1900; Enumeration District 9, sheet #3A, lines 14-15; enumerated on June 4, 1900.
2. Descendants of John Ludwig Debeck:
3. Civil Court case paper #8076, 14th District Court, Dallas, Texas; Georgia Drone vs. Andrew Drone (1890). Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor.
4. Dallas County, Texas Federal Census, 1880; Enumeration District #57, sheet 7; 1522 Elm Street, City of Dallas; dwelling #'s 66 and 67, lines 5-10; enumerated on June 2, 1880.
5. Dallas County, Texas Federal Census, 1880; Enumeration District #68, sheet 4A, Precinct #7; enumerated on June 1, 1880.
6. Georgia Drone vs. Andrew Drone, Civil Court papers, case # 8076, 14th District Civil Court, Dallas County, & 14th District Civil Court Minutes, Volume Y, p. 375. Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor.
7. City of Dallas Police Record Book #5 (1891). Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor.
8. List of Fugitives from Justice, 1891, Part VII, compiled from reports of sheriffs received at the Adjutant General's Office.  Henry Hutchings, State Printer, Austin. (The list was reportedly carried by the Texas Rangers in their saddlebags.)
9. Probate Case #3145, Estate of Georgia A. DeBeck, County Clerk's Office, Dallas County Records Building.
10. Register #20, City Hall, Vital Statistics Dept., Marilla St., Dallas.


My thanks to Alex Troup for his efforts in locating and
providing me with a copy of Georgia DeBeck's probate file.

Compilation Copyright © 2006 by Jim Wheat