Landmarks, Dallas County, Texas, 1896-1900

Back to Main Page
(Updated June 29, 2002)




     The recent cold weather has not interfered in the least with the work of excavating for St. Pauls Sanitarium, the new Sisters of Charity hospital on the corner of Hall and Bryan streets.
     The force of men and teams have been at work continuously since the breaking of the first ground in November and the work is so far advanced that the contractor expects to commence the concrete work early next week.
     Since the work began, the site has been the objective point of a large number of visitors who come out especially on Sunday to see how the work is progressing.
     Sister Mary Bernard, the future superior of the new institution, has taken up permanent quarters in the old Johnson homestead along with two other Sisters, and in a short time, will have completed arrangements to accommodate a limited number of patients in this temporary hospital.
     This house, which formerly fronted on Pavilion street, has been moved back several yards and made to front on Hall street, in order to accommodate the hospital structure, the wall line of which encroached on the homestead. A number of trees had to be removed for the same reason.
     Should the weather continue as favorable as it has been, it is very likely that the foundation will be laid in a comparatively short time. The laying of the corner stone will be made the occasion of special services by the bishop and Catholic clergy of the city.
     Contractor Dan Morgan expects to cease work on the Catholic Cathedral, in course of erection on the corner of Pearl street and Ross avenue. The final sandstone coping is about all in place and little more will be done on the structure till April.

- December 6, 1896, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 15, col. 4-6.
- o o o -


     The following permits to build were issued during the week by City Engineer Rains:
     C. Meisterhans, frame pavilion, south side Bryan street, block 500; $2,500.
     Free Methodist church, house of worship, corner McKinnon and Payne streets; $500.

- December 6, 1896, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 15, col. 4-6.
- o o o -


The Louchard Corner Sold to the
Santa Fe--McCormick Purchase.

     Yesterday, the Louchard lot, corner Young street and the Santa Fe railroad, became the property of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad company, the consideration being $5000. It was announced last night that work on the new passenger and freight depots will be inaugurated early the coming month.
    It was announced yesterday in real estate circles that the McCormick Harvester company of Chicago, had purchased 100 square feet on Austin street and Pacific avenue, a part of the old Adams & Leonard bank corner. It is understood that the owner, Capt. Nason of the state of Maine, father to Mr. W. H. Nason of this city, received $12,000 for the property. It was also stated on reliable authority that the McCormicks contemplate putting up a fine business house at an early day.

- December 27, 1896, Dallas Morning News, p. 18, col. 1.
- o o o -


Parkland Hospital and St. Joseph's
Orphanage Remembered.

    Several Dallas firms made substantial donations to different benevolent and public institutions on Christmas day. Notable among those was a $50 cash donation to Parkland hospital by P. P. Martinez, for which Dr. Armstrong and the inmates return their thanks, and a box of shoes and stockings given to the little ones in St. Joseph's orphanage, Oak Cliff, by Sanger Brothers.

- December 27, 1896, Dallas Morning News, p. 18, col. 1.
- o o o -


Work Progressing Satisfactorily--A
Donation Party.

    Work is progressing finely on the foundation for the Sisters of Charity hospital, St. Paul's sanitarium, on Bryan street. The cement work is nearly completed, and the erection of the superstructure will soon commence. The city engineer issued the building permit on the 23d of this month. This permit, as can be seen from the list of permits issued during the past week, calls for a $100,000 structure three stories high and with a large basement.
    A Christmas tree festival and donation party will be held at St. Joseph's orphanage, Oak Cliff, Monday, at 3 o'clock p. m., for the benefit of the sixty or more youthful inmates of that asylum. Donations are being solicited for the occasion.

- December 27, 1896, Dallas Morning News, p. 18, col. 2.
- o o o -


The Number Issued by City Engineer
Rains the Past Week.

     The following building permit [was] issued by City Engineer Hugh Rains during the week ending Saturday, Dec. 26:

     St. Paul's sanitarium, three-story and basement, corner Bryan and Hall streets, block 334, $100,000.

- December 27, 1896, Dallas Morning News, p. 18, col. 2.
- o o o -





The "Art Saloon" Was a Popular
Place in the Pioneer Days--A
Wrathy Judge.

     Mr. W. L. Murphy, now a resident of Omaha, visited Dallas in 1852. His reminiscences of the judiciary of Dallas for May, 1852, may interest the old pioneers. Forty-four years ago, Dallas was a frontier hamlet. Herewith follows the minutes as reported by Mr. Murphy:
     Spring term district court, Dallas county, May, 1852, eighth judicial district; Hon. Bennett Martin, judge; Hon. Nat. M. Burford, district attorney; T. C. Hawpe, sheriff. Practicing attorneys in attendance upon the court, local: John C. McCoy, J. M. Crockett, J. J. Good, B. Warren Stone; Waxahachie, J. W. Ferris, Anzi Bradshaw and Gen. E. H. Tarrant; Palestine, J. H. Reagan, John E. Cravens; McKinney, Brown & Lewellen; at large, Hon. C. A. Everett.
     The sessions of the honorable district court for Dallas county were held in the "Art Saloon," situated on the corner of Houston street and fronting the public square. This building, or hall, was erected and owned by an exiled patriotic Frenchman, Mons. Gouhenant, for the accommodation of the public for a _______, consequently, it was in general use for every kind of meetings. Religious, judicial, social, political, etc.
     At the hour of 10 o'clock, on Monday, the judge opened the court and directed the sheriff to call the grand and petit juries, who had been summoned for the regular spring term. As was the custom in those days, the sheriff, from the steps of the "Art Saloon," fronting the public square, with a melodious voice pitched to a high key, and with a nasal twang [accompaniment] somewhat after the fashion of the early Primitive Baptist preachers, he proceeded, as directed by the court, to call from a list which he held in his hand, the names of the jurors, and, as none of the jurors appeared to be immediately present, it necessitated the calling of each name three times in succession, as follows: "Benjamin Prigmore, Benjamin Prigmore, Benjamin Prigmore; Jacob Funkhouser, Jacob Funkhouser, Jacob Funkhouser; Simcoe Poppowell, Simcoe Poppowell, Simcoe Poppowell." By the time the sheriff had finished calling the name of Simcoe Poppowell for the third time, the judge was standing upon his feet, and with considerable redness in his face, and a sharp, strong voice, called out: "Mr. Sheriff, if you call any more such names in the hearing of the court, I will fine you in the sum of $50." Whereupon, the sheriff ceased to further call until the district attorney had explained to his indignant honor, "that the euphonious names he heard the sheriff calling as jurors of this court, were of his own personal knowledge, actual persons, bonafide citizens and prominent farmers of Dallas county." The explanation made in open court by the honorable district attorney proved to be satisfactory to his honor, Judge Bennett Martin, of the eighth judicial district of Texas, and as a further evidence of the satisfaction of the explanation, he directed the sheriff to proceed to call the names of the remaining jurors.
     The above and foregoing statement is a true and literal statement of the facts as they occurred, and is now stated from recollection of "forty-four years ago." The bar or legal profession in the early days of the Lone Star state were possessed not only of great learning and legal ability, having been for the most part, educated in the highest grade of colleges in states from which they came, but in addition to their legal and literary attainments, law schools and law offices of eminent jurists, they added to their inherited geniality of disposition and love of fun, much skill of ingenious invention as to how to produce the best quality and greatest quantity of the effervescent article. The judge evidently suspected that the bar, or some of its members, had "put up a job" for the amusement of the court and spectators without a due regard for the dignity and decorum of the court, as he had most probably participated in many a like enterprise previous to his elevation to the judicial bench.
     When the routine business of the court was gone through with, such as the charge of the judge to the grand jury and the empaneling of the petit jury, court was adjourned for the day. Then, the attorneys, almost in a body, came forward and offered congratulations to the judge for the diversion afforded them by the morning episode. The last seen of the court, bar and jovial spectators, they were traveling in a tight-angle-tri-angle in a northwest and a southeast direction, without square or compass, and the sun fast sinking behind them. Further, deponent sayeth not.

- December 28, 1896, Dallas Morning News, p. 8, col. 7.
- o o o -



Will be the Office of the New Com-
pany in the Junction Building.

     The Junction building, corner Elm and Live Oak streets, is now undergoing a complete interior transformation, which, when completed, will make it the most handsome office building in the South and the pride of the entire insurance fraternity.
     The building has recently been leased for a period of years by Messrs. Connally, Rockett & Co., the new State agents for the Security Mutual Life Association, who will occupy every inch of floor space in the building, from cellar to dome. This company took possession scarcely more than a week ago, but already evidences of a tremendous business can be seen. Stenographers, bookkeepers and office men, generally, are stationed in every convenient place, all busy as busy can be, dispatching the work which is hourly piled upon them. A force of electricians, decorators, etc., all at work in improving the inside appearance of the building and rendering it more comfortable and convenient for the large number of employes of Messrs. Connally, Rockett & Co., lends the finishing touches to a picture of enterprise and industry, which, if seen by the most confirmed pessimist, would put to flight all the theories of dull times and financial depression.
     When completed, a visit to this place by any one who feels interested will be well worth the time, as it is destined to be an office building of palatial beauty. -- Times Herald, Feb. 11, 1897.

- February 14, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, pp. 3, col. 4.
- o o o -


Tender Camp Sterling Price a
Housewarming Tuesday.



To be Inspected by a Committee
Already Appointed-The Local
Daughters Very Busy.

     From now on, until the unveiling of the Confederate monument, with all its attendant pomp and ceremony, the Daughters of the Confederacy will be among the hardest working ladies of Dallas.
     To-morrow evening, in conjunction with the wives and daughters of members of Camp Sterling Price, they will tender that camp a housewarming at their quarters on the courthouse square.  The entertainment will commence at 8 o'clock, and every Southern woman attending is expected to bring a basket of good things.  All Daughters of the Confederacy are requested to meet at the camp headquarters in the morning at 10 o'clock to arrange the details of the entertainment.
     The plaster casts of President Jefferson Davis and Generals R. E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Albert Sidney Johnston were shipped last week from San Antonio and are expected to arrive here daily and be taken to the courthouse yard where they will be inspected by a committee composed of the following gentlemen: for the cast of Jefferson Davis, Major John F. Elliott, Capt. Ben M. Melton and Dr. J. D. Keaton.  For Gen. R. E. Lee's, Dr. S. D Thruston, Capt. W. H. Gaston, and Gen. W. L. Cabell. For Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston's, Dr. S.H. Stouth, Col. W. W. Lang and Capt. H. W. Graber. For Gen. Stonewall Jackson's, Dr. E. L. Thomson, Judge A. T. Watts and Mr. John Conroy.
     If the result of the inspection is satisfactory, the casts will be placed in the camp's headquarters in the old county clerk's building.  Notice of the arrival of the casts will be made promptly to the committees and a day set for the inspection.

March 1, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 2.
- o o o -


Notes Regarding the Cathedral and

     According to Rt. Rev. Bishop Dunne, work on the Catholic Cathedral, corner Ross avenue and Pearl street, the foundations for which, were laid last fall, will not commence before next July or August.
     He estimated that the cost of roofing the structure will be about $55,000 without any interior ornamentation.
the work will necessarily be slow and it is anticipated that two or three years will be consumed in finishing the cathedral.
     Work on St. Paul's Sanitarium is progressing so well that May 2 has been definitely named as the day on which the corner stone will be laid. Bishop Dunne will officiate, assisted by a number of Catholic clergy, and the occasion will be one of much ceremony.

- April 11, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 10, col. 3.
- o o o -


Nursery for the Little Ones of
Working Women.



Mrs. Courtney Says that While
Caring for the Grown Up Don't
Overlook the Children.

To the Times Herald.

     I would like to speak a word to the combined charities and the public in general, whose noble, kind-hearted generosity has established in our midst those institutions of which we are so proud. The vast amount of good these instititutions have already done and the still greater amount they are destined to accomplish, ought surely to encourage us all to press still further on these eleemosynary lines. While it is true the harvest is great and the laborers are few, still our city has more than the generosity of an ordinary city, and I am sure our people will extend a helping hand to our enterprise. We have all sorts of institutions for the struggling young, the unfortunate middle aged and for the helpless old, but we have overlooked the babies of the working women. What we want to start is a day nursery, where the babies and helpless little ones of working women may be cared for while their mothers are at work, and instructed in the rudiments of a practical education, and taught that work is honorable if the worker is, and that a good worker can be a gentleman or a lady. There is very little hope of getting one on the right track who has grown up in idleness and depravity; no hope of restoring the shattered ideals to middle aged failure, and the best that can be done for aged indigence is to case it down to the grave. But much can be done for infants; they are as clay in the hands of the potter. Therefore, while not neglecting our other worthy institutions, let us bestow some of the abundance that God has blessed us with where it will do the most good, and establish a nursery for the little ones of working women. I beg everyone to read this a second time and if you think the movement a worthy one, to assist it, either by financial contribution, or by word of encouragement.


- April 18, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 5.
- o o o -


Plans and Specifications Already
Drawn Up.



And the Work Rushed to Comple-
tion--Other Local Railway

     The much-talked-of new union depot for Dallas is now almost an assured fact. Major B. S. Wathen, chief engineer of the Texas and Pacific railway, has advertised for bids for the erection of a passenger depot at the intersection of the Texas and Pacific and Houston and Texas Central railways in East Dallas. The plans and specifications for the proposed new structure are now on file in his office and bids will be opened on the afternoon of June 1, the contract immediately let and the work rushed to completion.
     In connection with the new union depot, there will be many other substantial improvements made in that neighborhood, and if the present plans materialize, that section of the metropolis will present as good an appearance as most any portion of the city. As previously mentioned in this paper, it is the intention and part of the contract of the owners of the property adjoining the Houston and Texas Central tracks, on the west side, between Pacific avenue and Elm street, to remove the row of little one-story frame shanties now adorning that block and to replace them with up-to-date one and two-story pressed brick structures. These buildings will extend west on Elm street to the present brick building used as a hotel. In addition to this, a 30-foot driveway will be opened up on the west side of the Houston and Texas Central tracks, between Elm street and Pacific avenue. It is understood that work along this line will be commenced as soon as the details of the arrangements can be perfected, and as soon, if possible, as work on the new depot is begun.
     Other improvements in the neighborhood are contemplated, and it is highly probable that visitors to the next State Fair will have the pleasure of waiting in the rooms of one of the neatest depots in Texas.
     The new depot will be a one-story brick and stone structure and will be built on the site occupied by the present frame shanty. The building will face 110 feet on Pacific avenue and 85 feet on the central tracks, and will be built in the shape of an angle, being placed several feet back from each track. It will be used for a passenger depot strictly, containing nothing but ticket offices, waiting rooms, baggage rooms, etc., and no lunch counters, fruit and news stands, etc., will be allowed therein. It will cost in the neighborhood of $10,000. A driveway will be opened up from Elm street to Pacific avenue on the southeastern side.
     It is understood that arrangements are now being negotiated for the erection of a three-story brick hotel near the Union depot. No definite arrangements to that effect have been consummated, however.

- May 21, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 2.
- o o o -


Dallas Could be Made an Ideal
Summer Resort.



Some of Its Natural Advantages
Which Could be Improved.
Its Mineral Waters.

     Some weeks ago, while I was assisting at the unveiling of the Confederate monument, which now proudly decorates the city park, my mind wandered over battlefields, graveyards, ruined plantations, and finally it returned to actualities, peace and prosperity in Dallas and thousand of miles around it.
      "Dallas," thought I, must be made attractive; it must be made pleasant besides useful. We now have fine and comfortable hotels, beautiful stores and residences, and we shall have more pretty soon. We shall have, also, at least one fine landing in the shape of the Santa Fe depot. This monument is another object, well worth a visit. This park is something more, but most villages could have something like it. It is well that it remains, but it is out of date, small and low. Dallas must have some special great attraction. Visitors are not content now-a-days to sit all day long in a hotel drawing room or hall. A few hours' drive takes in all we can show. What next? That's all! And the visitor feels like staying at home.
     "Before we can treat ourselves and visitors to an excursion on our improved river, we must have something," thought I, "that will invite them to stay longer; something that will give them time to reflect, to consider, perhaps to wish to return and settle among us. We Dallasites must have something that we can be proud of ourselves that will give us some enjoyment and such enjoyment that we can have our visiting friends to share, not during our yearly fair only, but the whole year round.
     "Dallas," thought I, "must be made a place of resort for winter. The excursions, gotten up by railroads for this purpose, must include a stop-over at Dallas. Why is it not so? It must be so, but before we can satisfy these tourists or health-seekers and ourselves we must procure a place of resort, where during the day, all can enjoy a pleasant rest, or some sport or some good music, a quiet drink, smoke or family lunch under the shade of trees, fanned by a refreshing breeze.
     "This means a park which will be a park in the full sense of the word for Dallas; but it must be easy of access, from home doors to park gates, by cars; it must be reached quickly, and must be elevated to secure the good breeze. That park must have a lake.
     "Then," thought I, "since we have in our neighborhood such a fine forest as the river bottom, why couldn't Dallas convert a portion of it into a reserved hunting and fishing ground where both citizens and visitors could be made to enjoy some royal good hunting on some grand occasion?
     "Now what about this artesian well water near which I am now standing? I have already heard of so many cures that it has effected, that I should like to have it analyzed and tested thoroughly. It seems to me to have a precious cause of attraction and benefit in it, if only half of the cures I have heard of be true.
     Why ignore the curative efficacy of this water, if it has any, and if it has really this valuable curative property, why should not Dallas do what is necessary to derive the full benefit of it? Why delay the time when Dallas may become a modern Spa, a Vichy, or a Saratoga, in connection with our new great sanitarium? The waters of Mineral Wells, those of Dalby, of Wootan, Carrizo, and others, could be served here fresh from the springs. Probably those various establishments would gladly contribute their own pavilion, well or fountain, perhaps their baths, in the Dallas new park, and thus induce patients to finish their cure in their own locality."
     Before the ceremony was over, other suggestions in this line occurred to my mind, but, before I mention them, it may be wiser to remember that "no one is a prophet in his own locality," and to wait and see if even these suggestions will not have been voiced "in deserto."                          P

- June 6, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 9, col. 6.
- o o o -


Recalls the Time When Policemen
were Provided with Them.

     Officer Mart Black, who meets trains at the depots, was presented last week with a handsome horn "locust" by County Judge Foree, which has been his constant companion ever since.
     The club, or "billy," has a steel core and is about eighteen inches in length and fits over the hand with a cord.
     It recalls the time when Dallas' finest were each provided with a handsome rosewood club and tassel. At intervals, these showy, but rather cumbersome badges of authority are disinterred from some nook or cranny at the station, where they were carefully put away to avoid having their prettiness spoiled by actual service.
     White gloves were de rigeur with the police of the large cities several years ago, but this ultra-aesthetic fad of police boards was not long in passing.

- July 18, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 9, col. 4.
- o o o -


Peak Avenue to Have Street Rail-
way Facilities.

     Consent is being obtained from the property owners on Peak avenue for the extension of the Queen city, or Elm street electric railway from the power house, corner Peak avenue and Elm street, on Peak avenue northward to Live Oak street.
     The proposed extension will be a great convenience to the residents of that growing and popular section of the city. The Queen City railway is noted for its clock-like regularity, promptness and splendid service generally, under the able management of Mr. C. L. Wakefield, and East Dallas is to be congratulated on this new addition to its many advantages.

- August 1, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 12, col. 5.
- o o o -


     The White Rock camp meeting is now in full blast. Three inches of dust in the roads leading to the camp grounds will probably not keep a solitary individual away, judging from the strings of wagons of campers from the south parsing through the city and from the crowds going out from the city.
     The city has shut off the water from the public trough on Ervay street, near Hughes' factory, and the people who watered their stock there are wanting to know why. There was a floating valve in the trough which regulated the flow so as to not waste the water. This valve got out of order, and that is said to be the reason the water was stopped. It is said an outlay of $1 would repair the valve and make the patrons of the trough happy once more.

- August 8, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 4.
- o o o -


     The long bridge, or lower bridge to Oak Cliff, is undergoing repairs to the extent of having a new floor put in. The old floor was very rotten and dangerous.

- August 8, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 4-5.
- o o o -


Weekly Runs Made by the Dallas

     The following runs were made by the Dallas fire department during the past week:
     August 10--Telephone 4:55 p. m., Palace Drug Store, corner Main and Murphy streets, building owned by Kain & Campbell, first floor occupied by Palace Drug company, second floor occupied by Drs. McLaurin & Gano, third floor occupied by Masonic hall; chemical explosion.

- August 15, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 12, col. 2.
- o o o -


The Week's Record in the City En-
gineer's Office.

    Texas and Pacific railway signboard, 404 Main street, $60.

- August 22, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 1.
- o o o -


It is Spreading Out in All



Putting in a Plant to Stay--Some
Hints as to What the Com-
pany is Doing.

     The Dallas Packing Company are spreading out and getting ready for business on a scale of such magnitude as to indicate that they have experimented in a small way until satisfied that they have a bonanza and are now getting ready to reach out for it.
     They have purchased of Parson Young, the land between the packery and the Rapid Transit Railroad track, and between the packery and the river. This is being used as a site for the packery stock yards, and village for employes of the establishment. A 12-foot fence will enclose the grounds. The additions to the plant, which are now nearing completion, will increase its capacity four times. And the work is being done in the most substantial manner, as if to stay. The buildings, which are four stories high, are made of pressed brick, with French plate glass for the windows. But, as the bulk of the work of the packery is performed underground, there are cellars under the entire buildings, making them, in reality, five stories high. In these cellars, the meat is passed through the various processes of cooling, cutting, salting, smoking, packing and otherwise preparing it for market. The walls and floors of these cellars are twenty-two inches thick, and perfectly insulated in order that the temperature may be maintained at any desired degree. In fact, the walls are so perfectly constructed that the temperature goes up only four degrees in twenty-four hours after the current of cold on is cut off. With the four new hog rooms, the packery will have a capacity to chill 3000 hogs at one time, or between 1000 and 1500 hogs every 24 hours. Six additional smoke houses are being made. Hogs are held 24 hours before they are killed. Their carcasses are kept in the chilling rooms thirty-six hours, then cut up and subjected to freezing temperature for another thirty-six hours. Then, they are placed in salt twenty-four hours, after which, they are put in sweet pickle 45 to 75 days. The establishment has 624 vats for curing hams, and now have half a million pounds of hams in process of curing.
     The company have their own electric light plant, an ice plant of 100-tons capacity per day, and artesian wells. The additions to the packery involve the purchase of four more big boilers and no end to complicated machinery to run the various departments, and the machinery itself worth seeing. When it is known that not a drop of blood, a grease spot or hair of an animal slaughtered, goes to waste, it can readily be inferred that no simple machinery could do the work. The bones, horns, brains, blood and other offal are ground up, and subjected to hydraulic process to extract the least drop of grease. Then, they are exported to the old States, or foreign countries, where they are used as fertilizers after having been diluted very extensively. The washings from the various floors are even gathered by a regular sewerage system and sold for soap grease.
     One machine has a capacity of stuffing 4000 pounds of sausage per day.
     In addition to the boilers and machinery for rendering and refining the hog lard, a 300-horse power high-pressure boiler, with Babcock and Wilcox boilers, is being put in to make compound lard from cotton seed. There is no hog lard used in this product.
     When the additions are completed, the plant will have an annual capacity of 200,000 head of hogs, 6000 head of beeves and all the sheep to be had.
     The packery had 106 men employed yesterday. The packery people go abroad for nothing that can be had in Dallas. All the barrels, boxes, cloth for hams, coal and wood are bought here. And, for curing hams, green hickory and pecan are the kinds of woods used. But, lard cans are not to be had here, strange to say, and they are imported. The packery also uses vast quantities of cotton seed in making compound lard.
     Edward Callahan, who has spent a life time in the packing houses of the North, has just taken charge of the hog department of the packery. He says that he finds as good a hog here as any other country has, and as the packery makes its own climate, there is nothing to hinder Dallas from putting up as good meat as Chicago or Kansas City.


     As Texas pays $21,000,000 a year for imported hog meat and lard, an estimate can be made regarding the field open to a Texas packery. The low price of hogs for several years past has discouraged farmers from raising them, but as they are now up again, farmers, will, no doubt, give swine breeding more attention. It is said that cotton will have to go 8 cents in order to put its production on a parity with hogs. It is estimated that it takes less than eight bushels of corn to produce 100 pounds of meat. This gives the farmer 50 cents for his corn, at present prices of hogs. But, all hog-raisers know that fully two-thirds of the hog is made on sorghum, millet, rye, grasses, etc.
     The people of Texas will not buy hog shoulders, nor will they eat pig tongues, but Louisiana will take all the shoulders the packery can turn out. Pig tongues are a delicacy all over the East and North.

- September 5, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1-2.
- o o o -

[No Heading]

     Mr. Crispi, manager of the Dallas Candy Manufacturing Company, which opened its doors to the public yesterday, wishes to thank the Times Herald readers for the extraordinary patronage extended them on their opening day, and invites the public generally, to watch these columns for the day and date of their grand formal opening, when they will place on sale at popular prices, the finest lines of chocolates, bon bons, ices, glazes, crystallized fruits and nugats ever offered in Dallas, and every visitor to their store on this day will be given a handsome souvenir of the occasion. Mr. Crispi is interested in the confectionery business in several other cities, but intends making the Dallas house second to none of his firms' many store.

- September 19, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 4.
- o-o-o -



     "Religious Intolerance" will be the subject of a disclosure by Rev. R. C. Travers to-morrow night at 8 o'clock at the First Christian Spiritualist church, corner Crutchfield street and Fisher lane. After the speaking, there will be a materializing seance. Seats free.
     Cabinet photographs at $1.00 per dozen at Bedford's new studio, 300 Elm street. This offer is good until close of fair October 31.
     The beautiful soda fountain with its unsurpassable drinks at Bumpas & Mattison's prescription drug store, adds greatly to its beauty. Call and see it. Windsor hotel corner.
     The new First Presbyterian church is almost completed, and will be ready for occupancy by next Sunday.
     Mrs. Carrie M. Hinsdale will lecture to-day at 3 p.m. and 7 p. m. at Harmonial hall, South Ervay street, opposite city park.

- October 24, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 4.
- o o o -

- October 31, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1-2.
- o o o-


What There is in the Ground
Under Dallas.



And May be the Making of Dallas.
Hot Water, Oil and Gas are
the Possible Strikes.

     The importance of sinking a well 2000 or 3000 feet to ascertain what is under Dallas appears to be realizing itself to the people very rapidly. It is becoming a quite frequent topic of conversation. Yesterday, Col. J. B. Simpson, Mr. L. S. Flatau and one or two other gentlemen were discussing the subject.
     Mr. Flatau said that from what the geologists say, the hot water flow reached at Marlin and Waco by boring and flowing spontaneously at Hot Springs, Ark., is within 3000 feet of the surface here; that the oil flowing in Indian Territory and cropping out again at Corsicana, is, of course, under Dallas; and that the gas struck a short distance out west must also be at a greater or less depth under this city. In view of all this, Mr. Flatau does not see how the people could miss it much by putting an artesian outfit to work. If only one of the possible three was struck it would be a big thing, and if all three should be reached, which would not be unlikely, then Dallas would have a basis for a boom.
     Col. Simpson and the other gentlemen quite coincided with Mr. Flatau's views regarding the possible wealth under Dallas. Col. Simpson said that from what he could gather regarding the cost of sinking artesian wells, it would not cost exceeding $4000 or $5000 to try the experiment.
     Prof. Cummins, assistant state geologist, is quoted as saying that the Marlin flow of water would be reached within a depth of 2700 feet under Dallas.
     This flow of water would give Dallas everything that Hot Springs, Ark., has as a health resort.

- November 7, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 3.
- o o o -


Court House Clique Getting
Tired of Kerosene Lamps.

     County Judge Foree to-day appointed the four county commissioners a committee to confer with the two electric light companies and the gas company to get bids on lighting the courthouse. Everybody concerned is getting tired of the kerosene lamps, notwithstanding they are the best made.
     Commissioner Winfrey says he is in favor of getting rid of the lamp system at all events.

- December 24, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1.
- o-o-o -



The New Park Almost an As-
sured Fact.

     Manager McCloskey, yesterday, received bids from several lumbermen and carpenters for constructing the new base ball park, and, if there is no hitch in the negotiations, now pending for the leases of the property, work will probably be begun the latter part of next week and everything will be in ship shape by the time the league season opens. All fans who visited the new site yesterday are enthusiastic in the belief that no better place could have been chosen.
     The scheduled meeting will be held in Fort Worth on March 15, at which time it will be definitely determined when the season will open. Some of the magnates are in favor of April 2, while others favor April 10, but the latter date will probably be selected.
     Manager McCloskey is expecting more of his colts to arrive to-day and looks for all of them before Tuesday night. They will begin training at the Oak Cliff park. He will probably go to Gainesville Tuesday for a series of three exhibition games with the Clippers. The Clevelands and Cincinnatis will be along later and the fans will be treated to first-class ball from within a few more days to the end of the season.

- February 27, 1898, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 3.
- o o o -


    Call and see my new spring styles for suits and pants, and get prices. T. Misenheimer, successor to T. B. Matney, 241 1/2 Main street.

- March 13, 1898, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 4.
- o o o -


Active Preparations Under
Way for the Opening.

     Messrs. Loomis & Co. are making active preparations for the opening of the season at Cycle park on the evening of May 2. New stars and additional attractions have been booked, and this place will be the most popular summer resort of this character that has ever been conducted in Dallas. The stage is rapidly approaching completion, the scenery put in position, and when everything is in readiness, Cycle park theater will look as pretty as an Easter bonnet. Careful attention will be given to the comfortable seating of the many large audiences that will be entertained. The 30, 20 and 10 cent prices of admission, the merit of the performances and the excellent music that will be rendered each evening, will be the potent factors that will doubtless attract large throngs every evening throughout the coming heated term--that period of the year when the average mortal likes to witness light farce comedy and listen to dreamy waltzes; when he eschews tragedies and yearns for comedies. Cycle park theater will be the proper place to be thus entertained.

- April 10, 1898, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 3.
- o o o -


    Mr. August Schneider, who, after an absence of several years, has returned to his old love, and has opened a drug store at No. 137 North Akard street, near Pacific avenue, where he will be pleased to greet his many old friends and acquaintances, and where he hopes to make many new ones.
    Mr. Schneider has bought the entire stock and fixtures of the Imperial Drug Store, and is in a position to fill all prescriptions left with the Imperial, having same on file in his new establishment. The stock has been replenished with new drugs, medicines and chemicals and a complete line of fancy and toilet articles.
    Mr. Schneider, who, it is said, is one of the best pharmacists in the State, bespeaks for himself a share of the kind patronage of the people of Dallas, based on his thirty years' experience as a pharmacist and the confidence he enjoyed among the Dallas public in former years as being an able and conscientious druggist.

- April 17, 1898, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 2.
- o o o -


     The Texas Land and Mortgage company last week took out a permit for the erection of three one-story brick buildings on Bryan street, near Pacific avenue. These buildings will take the places of the row of little frame huts that, for years, have stood on the north side of Bryan street at the intersection of Pacific avenue. This row, inhabited as it has been by all kinds of people, has long been an eye-sore to the good citizens of that section of the city and they will doubtless rejoice when the new bricks are completed.

- June 5, 1898, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 3.
- o o o -

[No Heading]

    The paid fire department is to-day celebrating its thirteenth anniversary. On July 25, 1885, it was organized by Charles Kahn, with a force of twenty-eight men. There are now forty-two men in the department.

- July 25, 1898, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 4.
- o o o -



A Carload Arrived Yesterday
From St. Jo, Texas.

     The carload of asphalt donated to the city by the St. Jo, Texas, asphalt mines, arrived yesterday. The asphalt will be used in repaving Akard street from Commerce to Elm. Mayor Pro Tem Lincecum said yesterday that the work of putting it down will probably begin to-morrow. The mines furnish a man to superintend the laying of it and the city has the work done.

- January 29, 1899, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 4.
- o o o -


     The corner stone of the new Temple Emanu-el, corner Ervay and St. Louis streets, will be laid at 4 o'clock to-morrow afternoon, according to the Masonic rites. The cermonies will be quite imposing and a large number of relics will be deposited in the corner stone. Among these will be a highly-polished medallion representing Solomon's temple at Jerusalem, made from olive wood, which willl be deposited by Mr. and Mrs. Ben Irelson.

- March 28, 1899, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 2.
- o o o -


    Church of Christian Scientists, remodeling church, No. 208 South Ervay street, $1500.

- April 9, 1899, Daily Times Herald, p. 7, col. 1-2.
- o o o -

Bids for Lighting County Court

     Bids will be received by the commissioners' court of Dallas county, Texas, up to and until 2 o'clock p. m. Tuesday, April 18, 1899, for lighting the courthouse for the ensuing year beginning on May 1st, 1899, with gas or electric lights, to be full 16 candle power, and bid to be on lights as located at present. All necessary repairs, changes or additions to present wires, pipes, globes or mantels to give service to be at expense of bidder.
                                                          A. S. J
                                                            County Clerk
By J. L. Martin, Deputy.

- April 16, 1899, Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col.3.
- o o o -


Front Wall of Guild Building
Torn Down Yesterday.



Total Loss Will Amount to $250,-
000--Many Personal Ef-
fects Lost.

     The runs wrought by the fire of Thursday night were the object of much attention all day yesterday and are still attracting their share of notice to-day.
     Yesterday afternoon, about 3 o'clock, firemen began the task of tearing down the front wall of the Guild building, which reared its smoked and ruined architecture to the height of five stories and threatened to topple over at any moment. They began work with a stream of water in an endeavor to wash down the wall. After a short time, one-half of the front came down with a crash. The 1000 people present surged back as the cloud of dust arose when the large amount of masonry hit the earth.
     The water was of no avail on the rest of the wall, and ropes and pulleys were necessary to be put in use before it could be torn down. After two hours hard work, it came with a crash, falling out and extending across Elm street.
     A 500-pound granite moulding rock from the top of the building hit the bois d'arc pavement and bounded with a terrific crash through the show window of the Square Dealing clothing store at No. 370 Elm street. The rock rolled inside the building for a distance of fifteen feet, playing havoc with everything in its way. A. Trube, proprietor of the establishment, declares he was damaged to the extent of $100.
     Over 100 parties had personal effects, consisting of household goods, etc., stored in the Guild building. The value of these goods range from $200 to $7000 for each individual. It is impossible to ascertain the exact amount of the total loss, but it can be safely stated to be upward of $250,000. The fire entered the Guild building through an aperture which had been cut through the wall into the building occupied by M. W. Strickland. In speaking of the first, H. W. Darrah said:
     "The fire entered the Guild building through an aperture in the east wall, which led into the adjoining building. If this entrance had not been there, the Guild building would have been standing to-day. I believe the American Building company should be made to pay for all the goods lost in the Guild building, for they are responsible for the existence of the aperture through which the fire entered."
     An employe of M. W. Strickland was sleeping in the store the night of the fire. He remarked to a reporter of this paper:
     "I awoke about 12 o'clock on the night of the fire to find my bed burning. I rushed to the front door, but could not get out. I then broke a rear window and escaped by [the] way of Pacific avenue. When I awoke, the fire was under good headway."
     Speaking of his loss by the fire, Mr. O. Paget said:
     "My loss was not merely a personal one. Nearly 3000 volumes of magazines and books, the former running back without the loss of a number for over twenty years, was promised as a donation to the Dallas public library. A life size portrait of Ingersoll and painting of Thos. Paine, with fifty-six engravings and paintings, a collection of weapons, matters connected with Cuba and the recent revolution, and other priceless documents of great historic value; handsome furniture, a pretty complete wardrobe and, worse than all, the law and liberal works of Mr. and Mrs.. John R. Charlesworth, which were stored with mine for safe keeping, are all destroyed, as well as the complete manuscripts of a work on liberalism and a novel with the scenes laid in West Texas and Mexico. You cannot possibly estimate my loss."

- August 12, 1899, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 4.
- o o o -



     Dallas Lodge No. 23, Knights of the Maccabees, will meet to-night in their new hall, corner of Main and Akard streets.

- January 2, 1900, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 5.
- o o o -


Thousands of Dollars Worth of
Property Involved.



Was There One Elizabeth Robertson
or Two--Grist for the

     Last night in the city hall in Oak Cliff, there was a mass meeting of citizens.
     The object of the meeting was to take steps to defend suits recently brought by Uriah C. Harrison against the Oak Cliff Land company, citizens of Oak Cliff and non-residents who own, claim or, are in possession of, a lot, or lots in that portion of Oak Cliff which was originally the Elizabeth Robertson head right survey.
     This suit is one of considerably more than passing interest, not only from the amount and value of the property involved and the number of defendants, but from the basis upon which the suit rests, the nature of the evidence upon which its success or defeat depends.
     Judge Cohron was made chairman of the meeting, and on taking the chair, stated that the object of the meeting was to effect an organization and co-operation on the part of all parties sued to defend the suit. He also gave a brief history of the case and the claims or allegations of the plaintiff.
     Messrs. W. A. Bonner, E. G. Patton, W. L. Diamond, Muse and Taylor all made brief remarks, outlining the nature of the suits, the basis of the plaintiff's claims and the kind of defense it was necessary to make. From these speeches, the following facts were gleaned:
     In 1840 or 1841, a woman named Elizabeth Robertson moved from Tennessee to Texas, settling in Dallas county, about where Oak Cliff now stands.
     Under the laws of the republic of Texas, she was entitled to a headright. In 1847, on Sept. 16, she died and just before her death, made nuncupative will devising all her possessions to her nephews, Washington and John R. Leonard. Under a nuncupative will, however, she could not devise land and her headright, for which patent was issued in 1855, being 640 acres, the land now in controversy, went to her collateral heirs--her brothers and sisters living and the children of those dead--she having died without issue, and it is from these heirs that the present owners of the land being sued for, through chain of title claim, some of them having given quit claims obtained by T. M. Marsalis while he was the head and front of the Oak Cliff enterprise, and from whom, the original settlers of Oak Cliff purchased.
     This is the side of the defendants as to the identity of Elizabeth Robertson, when and where she died.
     The plaintiff makes the same claim as to Elizabeth Robertson having moved to Texas from Tennessee in 1840 or 1841, as to her having lived in Dallas county about where Oak Cliff now stands, and as to the 640 acres of land in question having been patented to her as a headright by the republic of Texas, but deny that she died in 1847, alleging that she removed from Dallas county to Hopkins county, where she married and lived until she died in 1864, alleging that her grave is in Hopkins county with a tombstone over it bearing her name. The plaintiff also denies that she died without issue, alleging that she was the mother of a son, whom she left behind her in Tennessee with his father, a man named Harrison; and they also allege that, in order to obtain her headright of 640 acres of land, she went for her son and had him with her in Dallas county long enough to prove that she was the head of a family, and then returned said son to his father in Tennessee.
    The question of identity will be the main fight, and both sides claim they can prove their contention as to when and where the Elizabeth Robertson, to whom the land was patented, died. The plaintiff has already secured a mass of depositions at the cost of $1000 or more, and the Oak Cliff Land company has expended already $800 in securing deposition, and Judge J. L. Henry, attorney for this new company, is in Tennessee hunting up evidence in the case and writes that it is the hardest case he has tackled in many a day. The trouble is that the witnesses relied on by both side, especially those for the defense, are getting very old and their memories are failing them.
     One prime necessity for a defense as was brought out in the meeting, is that each defendant who has made improvements must set up in his answer, the nature in fullest detail and the cost of those improvements, enumerating each rose bush and other shrubbery and flowers, and gravel or paved walks, outhouses, barns, fencing, etc., and must plead, also, the statue of limitations. As to the statute of limitations, the plaintiff claims that the five year limit will not expire as to him until June next, when he will be 26 years of age.
     The cost of efficient attorneys and of taking depositions would be very heavy if each defendant fought his own case alone, but by co-operation, pro-rating the necessary expense, according to the value of each man's property, an ample sum of money can be raised and at small cost to each man. After the deposition have been taken and the case called for trial, the answers being filed, then if severances are taken, the same depositions can be used in each case, and, as it is going to be troublesome and tedious to get the depositions of a great many witnesses, especially those who are quite old and feeble, prompt and energetic action was urged.
     On motion of W. L. Diamond, Judge Cohron was made chairman of the permanent organization. Then, on motion, W. L. Diamond was made permanent secretary.
     A motion by Kirk Williams that a committee of five be appointed, whose duty it shall be to see all the defendants to the suit residents of Oak Cliff, and to communicate with all non-residents, urging them to join the organization and enter into the co-operative plan; this committee to report at a meeting to be held next Friday night at the Oak Cliff city hall.
     It was urged, that while defendants might believe there was no foundation for the suit, neither in law, nor in equity, it was necessary to make answer, lest judgment be taken be default, and it was equally necessary to plead the statute of limitation, and to set up the character and cost of improvements, so that in case the plaintiff proved the identity of Elizabeth Robertson as per his allegations and his heirship, he being the son of her alleged son, then if he had slept too long upon his rights, the limitation statute would bar him from recovering, or if he gained his case and got judgment to the land, they could get judgment for their improvements. In such a contingency as the latter, it was stated that the plaintiff would have twelve months from date of final judgment in which to pay the price of the improvements as fixed by the jury, and in case he did not want the improvements, then each defendants had six months in which to pay the price fixed for the land, which the jury would have to value simply as vacant land, and in case defendant did not do this, then the plaintiff would take land and improvements.
     It was stated that the plaintiff was willing to give a deed to each piece of land sued for on payment of $100, but it was agreed that no defendant at the meeting would compromise on any terms and this agreement would be urged upon every defendant entering into the organization.

- August 26, 1900, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 1.
- o o o -