The Haunted House of Block 25 (Ferris Plaza)
To Dallas County Archives main page
(Revised January 6, 2005; added notation re: Mrs. Kate M. Bryan in "Sources" section)

The Haunted House of Block 25 (Ferris Plaza)

(Located three blocks south of "Old Red" courthouse)



Bottles and Bricks Impelled by
an Invisible Force



And Pile Themselves on the Floor
of a Reservation House--A
Barkeeper's Spirit.

     There have been great doings the last three days in a little house down on Jefferson street in the reservation. The house is occupied by Alice Denton and two other women. Early this fore-noon, the women sent for a policeman, and Officer Wood Ramsey responded.
     On knocking at the front door, the officer was admitted to the house.
     "What do you want with an officer?" inquired Mr. Ramsey.
     "Take a look at that floor," said one of the women.
     Casting his eyes over a dozen or more empty beer bottles, about twenty brick bats, and a number of pieces of stone varying from the size of a hen egg, up to the size of a man's head, all of which were on the floor, the officer remarked that it was queer furniture.
     "Well, all of that pile of stuff has fallen there inside of two hours, two bottles falling about a minute before you came, and if you will wait a few minutes, you can see for yourself."
     "See for myself?" exclaimed the officer.
     "See what?"
     "Why, man, those bottles, bricks and rocks just come through the walls and fall on the floor without making the slightest noise. Sunday forenoon was the first time we noticed anything of the kind, but only a few bottles came then. Yesterday morning, another lot came, but they didn't get to coming right until this morning. We don't know where they came from, nor how they get through the walls, but they just quietly drop in from all points of the compass. They don't fall hard enough to hurt any of us, even if they should hit us, but they don't seem to want to hit us. At the same time, it is a queer way for things to be doing, that have no life in them, and we thought we would send for a policeman."
     A cold wave of superstition ran up and down Wood's back, as he remembered that an old time barkeeper died in that room a few years ago, and the possible explanation came to him that the spirit of the barkeeper might still be lingering thereabouts, and out of force of habit still juggling with bottles, which would meet with greater appreciation from the women, if they were full of beer and just off of ice.
     Wood told the women about the old barkeeper, and they said if that was the case, they would get out at once, and give him the floor.
Wood says he didn't see any of the bottles or bricks come through the wall, and he merely reports what the women told him. He, however, admits that he remained there no longer than was absolutely necessary.


     A well known sporting man at noon to-day was overheard by a Times Herald representative telling a friend what took place while he was at Alice Denton's this morning:
     "It beats all," he said; "as I entered the house, here came a tubful of dishes and beer bottles right through the wall and set itself down right easy in the middle of the floor. Now, I like sleight-of-hand tricks as well as the next man, but I want to see the man who does the tricks. When sleight-of-hand tricks get to doing themselves, I lose interest in them, and I left that house. As I came out the front door, a big hod of new bricks were emptied on the back porch."

-July 6, 1897, The Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 5-6.
- o o o -

Note: the only prospect for the barkeeper mentioned
in the above article, is Charles F. Lee, who is listed in the 1878-79 Dallas city directory
1 as being a partner with William J. Niemeyer in their lunch stand, "Niemeyer & Lee," which is located at 716 1/2 Main. Lee is residing at the 716 1/2 Main address.

In the 1880-81 Dallas city directory,2 Charles F. Lee is
listed as a bartender, and residing on the west side of
S. Jefferson, between Wood and Polk (Young), but
whether it is the house at 183 S. Jefferson, is not known. There are no listings for Charles F. Lee in later city directories.

A "Miss Minnie Moore," an actress at Thompson's Theatre, (her residence is not shown) is listed in the 1886-87 city directory.3 In the 1888-89 city directory,4 she is residing at 516 Jefferson, corner of Young.

The City of Dallas tax rolls,5 for 1889, lists the owner of lot 8, block 25 as Mrs. K. M. Bryan14 -- her address is not given.

The 1891-92 city directory6 shows Miss Hattie Melville residing at 183 S. Jefferson, along with boarders, Miss Hazel Kirk and Miss Sherlie White.

The 1893-94 directory7 finds Hattie Melville still residing at the 183 address, along with boarders, Miss Cricket Melville and Miss Bessie Denton.

The 1894-95 city directory8 again lists Hattie Melville as residing at 183, with telephone #474. Listed as boarders in the household, are Miss Cricket Melville, Miss Ella King, Miss Edith Marsden, Miss Dora Kirkwood, and Miss Hazel Kirkwood.

The 1897 Dallas directory9 shows Miss Ella King residing at the address, with phone #378, and a Miss Alice Denton as a boarder. The Melvilles had apparently moved elsewhere.

The 1898-99 city directory10 lists Miss Ada Palmer as residing at the house, with telephone #710.


Section of "Bird's Eye View Map
of Dallas, Texas, 1888, Looking
East," showing the haunted house
at (then) 516 S. Jefferson.
(arrows are pointing north)


(click here for enlarged view)

1899 Sanborn fire insurance map of block 25,
showing 183 S. Jefferson, a two-story house at the
lower right corner of the block. "FB" indicates "Female
Boarding," i. e., a brothel; the "2" indicates a two-story
structure. Prior to 1891, the address was 516 S. Jeffer-
son; from 1891 to 1911, 183 S. Jefferson, and following
the street numbering changes in 1911, the address be-
came 415 S. Jefferson. Jefferson is now Record Street.
(arrows are pointing west)



Killed Himself This Morning About
2 O'Clock.

     About 2 o'clock this morning, Mr. W. N. Norton, more familiarly known as "Nim" Norton, killed himself in a house of resort on Jefferson street. No known motive is assigned for the act. He had remarked to numerous of his friends during the evening that his last birthday had arrived, but they suspected nothing, thinking him in a jocular mood. The physician who examined the body was of the opinion that death was instantaneous. He shot himself through the right side of the head while sitting on a sofa. No further particulars could be ascertained this morning. The dead man was the eldest son of the late Judge A. B. Norton. Finnegan, the hackdriver who drove Mr. Norton to the house, says that Mr. Norton remarked that would be his last trip.

- April 5, 1898, The Dallas Morning News, p. 6, col. 3.
- o o o -



Committed Suicide at 2 O'clock
This Morning.



The Particulars of the Tragedy
and a Brief History of
His Life.

     W. N. Norton, known better as "Nim," committed suicide by shooting himself through the head with a 38-caliber pistol about 2 o'clock this morning in the back parlor of Ada Palmer's house, No. 183 Jefferson street. The bullet entered the head just a little above and behind the right ear and came out on the other side just a little below and behind the left ear, making a wound very much as if the pistol had been held at an incline angle of about 45 degrees. No cause can be assigned for the deed, other than the fact that for some time past, Mr. Norton had lead rather a dissipated career, and being a man of exceptional intelligence, this fact worked on his more refined feeling to such an extent that he decided to end his life.
     The particulars of the tragedy are very meagre. A reporter for this paper called on Ada Palmer this morning, but could gain no information, further than that she and Mr. Norton were sitting alone in the back parlor of her house when he killed himself. In reply to questions as to how long he had been there, what condition he was in, and what remarks he made before his death, the woman said nothing, merely begging to be excused, as she was too completely upset to give any intelligent account of the occurrence. Her eyes were very red from continued weeping, and she seemed very much agitated. He was sitting on a sofa when he killed himself.
     It was stated on the streets that Mr. Norton remarked to a friend or two yesterday, that he was celebrating his last birthday, and last night, it is said, he told the hack driver who took him to the house, that he was taking his last ride. No attention was paid to these remarks at the time, as he was thought to be in a jocular mood.
     Justice Skelton inquested the remains and returned a verdict in accordance with the above facts. The remains are now at Smith's undertaking establishment awaiting funeral directions.
     A reporter of this paper called on Mr. A. B. Norton, brother of the deceased, at his room, No. 10, in the Norton building. Mr. Norton said:
     "I was with my brother until after midnight last night. He was in financial straits and woke me up at midnight to go to East Dallas for him. When I came back, I left him down stairs. He was in good spirit, and gave no intimation of a purpose to commit suicide, and I do not believe he had any such purpose, otherwise he would have said something about it, or left a note. I am inclined to believe that while under the influence of drink, he got to playing with his pistol, and while holding it to his head, pulled the trigger a little too hard. He had a way like that of toying with a pistol, which goes far to confirm my theory that the pistol was accidentally discharged.
     "Yes, like nearly everybody else in the community who had nay property that was encumbered at the time of the real estate collapse, my brother and I have had business troubles; in fact, we have been seriously embarrassed. But, I never heard him intimate that he ever thought of suicide as a way out of his difficulties."
     A piece of land belonging to deceased was sold by Constable Ed Cornwell to-day to satisfy an execution issued on a judgment rendered in Justice Lauderdale's court. This is said to have been the last piece of property deceased had.
     William Neyland Norton, eldest son of the late Judge A. B. Norton, was born in Jefferson, Tex., in 1860, and with his parents, removed to Dallas about the year 1870. He was educated at Kenyon college, Mount Vernon, Ohio.  Leaving college, he was appointed deputy postmaster at Dallas under his father, during President Grant's last term and during President Hayes' administration. And, when Judge Norton became United States marshal in the Northern district of Texas, William Neyland, familiarly known as "Nim," became his chief deputy.
     When Judge Norton went out of the marshal's office, Nim, having been brought up in his father's newspaper office, that of Norton's Intelligencer, started a newspaper on his own hook at Fort Scott, Kansas, and called it the Weekly Union. After running the paper a few months, he decided that Springfield, Mo., would be a better location for a red-hot Republican publication and he accordingly removed his plant to the Missouri capital. From that Democratic stronghold, he turned his paper loose for Ben Harrison, and after the election, he was rewarded for his zeal with the appointment of special agent for the government in division P., Western district, including California and several of the territories.
     When Cleveland was elected, Nim anticipated the political headsman by resigning. He then went into the real estate and abstract business in Greenville, Tex., in which he continued until the death of his father in December, 1893, when he came to Dallas and took charge of his father's newspaper, which he conducted until his own death, running a real estate and law business on the side, in partnership for several years with Judge J. M. Bentley, Norton having been admitted to the bar in 1883.
     The deceased took quite an active part in politics. He was delegate to all the conventions, state and national. He was one of the organizers of the lily white faction, and he was a candidate for state treasurer on that ticket in 1896. He was a delegate to the St. Louis convention that nominated McKinley. At the time of his death, he was vice president of the state Republican league.

- April 5, 1898, The Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 4-5.
- o o o -



W. N. Norton Came to His Death by a
Wound Self-Inflicted.

     W. N. Norton, generally called "Nim," by everyone who knew him, who committed suicide at No. 183 Jefferson street yesterday morning at 2 o'clock, used a six-shooter to end his life. The bullet, which was evidently fired while the weapon was pointed downward at an angle of about 45 degrees, entered his head just above the right ear and came out about an inch below the left ear, passing completely through the skull. He was seated on a sofa in the back parlor of the house, talking to one of the inmates, when, it is said, he suddenly pulled his pistol and fired the fatal shot.
     None of Mr. Norton's friends could assign any motive for the act. He told a friend Monday that he was celebrating his last birthday, and that night, remarked to the hack driver, who was driving him to the house where he died, that he was taking his last ride. Both parties thought he was jesting.
     A. B. Norton, who as a brother of the deceased, said yesterday:
     "I was with my brother until after 12 o'clock Monday night. He was in a bad condition financially and woke me up at midnight to go to East Dallas for him. When I came back, I left him down stairs. He was in good spirits and gave no intimation of what he was going to do. I do not believe that he intended to commit suicide. If he had so intended, he would have said something, or else left a note. I believe, that while under the influence of liquor, he began playing with his pistol, and while holding it to his head, pulled the trigger a little too hard. He was in the habit of toying with his pistol in this manner.
     "Like nearly every one else in the community who had encumbered property at the time of the real estate collapse, he had business troubles; in fact, he has been seriously embarrassed. I never heard him intimate, however, that he thought of suicide as a way out of his troubles."
     Justice Skelton, who held an inquest over the remains yesterday, declared that "The deceased came to his death by a pistol shot wound in his head, self-inflicted."
     The deceased's full name was William Neyland Norton. He was the eldest son of the late Judge A. B. Norton, was born in Jefferson, Tex., in 1860, and came to Dallas with his parents in 1870. He received his education at Kenyon college, Mount Vernon, O. On his return to Dallas, he was made assistant postmaster at Dallas and served under his father in this capacity during the administrations of Presidents Grant and Hayes. Later on, when his father was appointed United States marshal for this district, he made "Nim" his chief deputy.
     From Dallas, he went to Fort Scott, Kan., and started a paper called the Weekly Union. Soon after, he moved it to Springfield, Mo., and through its columns, urged the faithful to support Benjamin Harrison for president. When Harrison was elected, he rewarded the editor by making him special government agent in division P of the western district, which included California and several of the western territories. He came back to Texas when Cleveland was elected and engaged in the real estate and abstract business at Greenville, Tex., until the death of his father, in Dallas, in 1893. Then, he came here and conducted his father's old paper, Norton's Intelligencer, and a real estate and law business, until his death.
     W. N. Norton was a prominent figure in republican politics in this state. A delegate to all the Texan and national conventions of his party, he was ever ready to take up the cudgels in defense of its platforms and principles. He was one of the organizers of the lily white faction of the party, and in 1896, was a candidate for state treasurer on that ticket. At the time of his death, he was vice president of the State Republican league.

- April 6, 1898, The Dallas Morning News, p. 4, col. 5.
- o o o -




Henrietta Giles Fatally Shot
Early This Morning.

     Henrietta Giles, a colored woman, 29 years of age, was shot and killed at her home at the corner of Jefferson and Young streets. The murderer fled and nothing is known of his whereabouts. The killing occurred about 3 o'clock. Officers Fanning and Westover, who are on duty in that section of the city at night, heard two shots fired and immediately ran in the direction. In the Giles house, they found the woman lying on the floor, with a bullet hole in her back, near the left shoulder blade. She was dead, the bullet having penetrated the heart.
     None of the neighbor residents seem to know anything about the killing, except that they heard the shots fired. Nothing was found by which the murderer could be identified and captured.
     Justice W. M. Edwards held an inquest over the remains, but has not, as yet, returned a verdict as to the cause of her death. She was born in Bryan, Tex., and had been in Dallas nineteen years.

- April 6, 1901, The Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8 col. 1-2.
- o o o -



Negro Charged With Murder
of His Wife.

     Jeff Giles, colored, was arrested last evening about 7 o'clock near the intersection of the Santa Fe and Texas and Pacific railways in East Dallas by Deputy Sheriffs Jack Witt and Scott and Deputy Constable Arch Cochran. An affidavit has been sworn out, charging him with the murder of Henrietta Giles, the negro woman who was shot through the heart at 183 Jefferson street, early yesterday morning.
     Giles stated that when he entered his wife's room, a man rose up near the window and fired at him, but that the bullet struck his wife and killed her instantly. He would not go further into details.
     Giles has been recognized as a negro who escaped from the county authorities about a year ago, while serving his sentence on the county road.

- April 7, 1901, The Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 6.
- o o o -



Text of the Final Statement
Submitted by Body Which
Has Adjourned.



Through our efforts in finding true bills, and advising with those who own property in that precinct, which was being used by their tenants for disorderly purposes, and with the city authorities, we have succeeded in having Austin street and Jefferson street, through which the street cars are operated, cleared of disorderly houses, and have effected other reforms, which, we feel sure, will have a wholesome effect.

- December 30, 1905, The Dallas Morning News, p. 5.
- o o o -


The 1910 city directory
11 lists a William Combs
(colored) at the 183 S. Jefferson address.


In the 1911 city directory
12, Carrie White
(colored), is listed as a resident at the 183 S.
Jefferson house (now 415 S. Jefferson, following
city-wide street numbering changes).


1911 - February 1916
Sometime between 1911 and February 1916, the
house at 183 S. Jefferson was removed, as the
block was vacant by February 1916.


March 9, 1915
Cornerstone of Union Station Terminal,
one block west of block 25, is laid.


October 14, 1916
Union Station Terminal is completed.






CITY OFFERS $175,000

This is Coupled With Suggestion Abut-
ting Property Owners Should Con-
tribute -- Owners Ask $300,000.

By K. K. Hooper.

     The delay that has arisen in the acquisition by the city of the block of ground opposite the Union Station for plaza and concourse purposes, is because of the fact that there is a difference between the present owners and the prospective purchasers, as to the value of this property. At a meeting of the park board, held last week, an offer of $175,000 was authorized for this property. The board did not undertake to say, however, that in its opinion, this represented the full value of the block, but some members advanced the suggestion that the agents of the owners should interview the Union Terminal Company and owners of other adjacent properties, and through them, make up whatever difference may exist.
     The block is bounded by Houston, Wood, Jefferson and Young streets, facing 200 feet on each street. Almost in the center of this block, opposite the station and fronting on Houston street, Neil G. Grubb owns twenty-five feet, for which he paid $22,500 four years ago. At the same time, Rosenbaum Brothers and associates acquired fifty feet on Young street, running back 100 feet on Jefferson street, for $37,500, and the Farmers' Investment Company acquired 100x100 feet at the corner of Wood and Jefferson streets, paying $50,000 therefor. The remainder of the block, representing 175 feet on Houston street, running back 100 feet, is held by the St. Louis Union Trust Company, the original owners of this, and two other blocks in the same tier, which they acquired from the Frisco Railroad. In other words, Dallas parties own 175 feet, for which they paid a total of $110,000 four years ago, and 225 feet are owned by the St. Louis company.
     Seay, Cranfill & Co., who represent all of the owners, offered this block to the city when the plaza project first was mentioned some years ago, for $340,000. They say that the Dallas people interviewed today are willing to relinquish their holdings to the city for park purposes, in consideration of the money they originally invested, plus carrying charges, which means interest and taxes. The St. Louis company, Mr. Cranfill says, has exercised a generous disposition toward the city, in that it has withdrawn the property from the market, pending final disposition of the plaza enterprise, and has invited any reasonable offer, stating that it would prefer to sell its interest in this block to the city for park purposes at a less price than it is being held for commercial usage. Mr. Cranfill estimates, however, that more than $300,000 will be required to complete the deal.
     The board of appraisement, consisting of three Dallas real estate agents, acting under the Young plan of valuations, assessed this property last year as being worth $260,800. This value has been accepted by the city this year for tax purposes. Citizens of Dallas have authorized a bond issue of $250,000 for the acquisition and improvement of this block of ground.

- July 8, 1917, The Dallas Morning News, pt. 4, p. 4.
- o o o -


Late 1920
Ferris Plaza is completed.


Funeral for Dallas
Banker Set Monday


Royal Ferris,
City Builder,
Dies in Dallas


Victim of Illness That
Set Up Week Ago
While at Capital.

     Royal Andrew Ferris, 77, native Texan, financier of a half century of banking service, philanthropist and city builder, died at 11:45 o'clock Saturday morning at his home, 4209 Lorraine avenue. Mr. Ferris became seriously ill on returning to the city Monday afternoon from Austin.
     Funeral services will be held at 4 p. m. Monday at the First Presbyterian Church, with Dr. W. M. Anderson, pastor, assisted by Dr. W. D. Bradfield, officiating. Private burial will be in Grove Hill Cemetery.
     Active pallbearers will be junior officers of the American Exchange Bank: E. S. McLoughlin, Paul Dana, B. B. Johnston, R. V. Sanders, J. J. O'Connell, Sam Turner, E. A. Houser and B. F. Sims.
     Mr. Ferris, resident of Dallas since 1884, and president of the American Exchange National Bank for twenty-one years, before his retirement in 1920, was born in Jefferson, Marion County, on Aug. 6, 1851, the son of J. W. Ferris and Mrs. Martha Crowe Ferris. His father was a native of Hudson, N. Y., and his mother was a native of Frankfort, Ky.

Entered Banking Early.
     He moved to Waxahachie with his parents in 1854, and there received his early education in the public schools. Later, he attended the Kentucky Military Academy at Frankfort.
     From boyhood, he was trained for the banking business, his father being the senior member of the firm of Ferris and Getzendaner, private bankers of Waxahachie. He entered the employ of the banking house as a clerk, at the age of 19. That was on July 1, 1870. Four years later, on July 1, 1874, the firm name was changed to Getzendaner & Ferris, Mr. Ferris becoming a member of the house with W. H. Getzendaner. His father remained as a silent partner. In 1884, this firm organized the Citizens National Bank of Waxahachie and succeeded to the business.
     Mr. Ferris donated to the city, the fountain in the park in front of the Union Terminal, named as Ferris Plaza. The beauty spot has long attracted the attention of visitors of the city, and is known throughout the country.
     On March 14 of the same year, Mr. Ferris moved to Dallas and became cashier of the Exchange Bank of Dallas, a State institution. This bank was nationalized in February of 1887 as the Exchange National Bank of Dallas, and Mr. Ferris was elected one of its vice presidents, Col. John M. Simpson serving as the president. From that time on, he served as stockholder, director and officer of the bank, until his retirement in 1920. He became president in 1897, and when in 1905, the National Exchange Bank was consolidated with the American National Bank to become the American Exchange National Bank of Dallas, he continued as president until Dec. 31, 1918. For the next two years, he served as chairman of the board of directors.

Built Tap Railway.
     While a resident of Waxahachie, Mr. Ferris served for one term as Alderman. This was the only public office that he ever held, although, he was interested in public affairs and became known as one of the most progressive and public-spirited business men in Texas.
     In 1880, in association with Jeremiah Reardon, he built and owned the Waxahachie Tap Railway from Waxahachie to Garrett, near Ennis, connecting with the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. The line was later sold to the H. & T. C. Railroad, which extended it into Fort Worth, it being known as the Ennis-Fort Worth branch. He was instrumental in organizing the Waxahachie Real Estate and Building Association. He and Mr. Gatzendaner were partners in the Mark, Latimer & Co., bankers of Ennis.
     Shortly after coming to Dallas, Mr. Ferris bought the controlling interest in the local street railway system, then a horse car system, with only a few lines.

Electrified Dallas Street Cars.
     Through Mr. Ferris' influence, the system was electrified, and when the control was sold to the Stone & Webster interests, he served for several years as president of the Dallas Consolidated Electric Street Railway Company.
     Mr. Ferris was married to Miss Lula Brown in Waxahachie, on Dec. 13, 1882. She died there on Sept. 8, 1883. He was married on Oct. 3, 1894, to Miss Mary Brown at Weatherford. Surviving is his son, Royal A. Ferris Jr., and a brother, Tom A. Ferris, both of Dallas.
     Mr. Ferris was engaged in extensive business endeavor, other than banking. He served as vice president of the Hughes Brothers Manufacturing Company, as president of the Dallas Telephone Company, as a director of the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company. At the time of his death, he was a director of the Southwestern Life Insurance Company, of the Texas Power and Light Company, and of the Republic Insurance Company.

Twice Fair President.
     He also served for two terms as president of the State Fair of Texas, and as a director and stockholder for many years. He was active in the Dallas Chamber of Commerce and other civic organizations of the city, and engaged in efforts for the growth and development of the city. Interested in educational affairs, and particularly in the encouragement of the younger men, he started a students' loan fund for the University of Texas.
     Gifts totaling more than $50,000 represented Mr. Ferris' benefaction to Southern Methodist University. He donated the pipe organ to the Highland Park Methodist Church, located on the school campus. At various times, he contributed sums to the university's dormitories, library, Hyer Hall, and for trees on the campus. He also donated to the 1920 endowment program, and gave a telescope to the school. Another gift was a $5,000 check to the Methodist pension fund for superannuate preachers.
     "Mr. Ferris' death is a distinct loss to Southern Methodist University," said Dr. C. C. Selecman, president. "Both the student body and the faculty join in paying tribute to the memory of the school's benefactor."
     Mr. Ferris was a past grand chancellor of the Texas grand lodge, Knights of Pythias, being a member of the order for many years. He was also a member of the Order of Odd Fellows, having been affiliated with the Waxahachie lodge. He was a charter member of the City Club, and also was a member of the Dallas Athletic Club.

- March 3, 1929, The Dallas Morning News, pt. 1, p. 1.
- o o o -

1. C. D. Morrison & Co., General Directory of the City of Dallas, for 1878-79.
2. Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Dallas, 1880-81.
3. Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Dallas, 1886-87.
4. Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Dallas, 1888-89.
5. City of Dallas tax rolls, microfilm, Dallas Public Library, 7th floor.
6. Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Dallas, 1891-92.
7. Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Dallas, 1893-94.
8. Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Dallas, 1894-95.
9. Evans & Worley Directory of the City of Dallas, 1897.
10. Worley's Directory of the City of Dallas, 1898-99.
11. Worley's Directory of the City of Dallas, 1910.
12. Worley's 1911 Directory of Greater Dallas.
13. "Union Station Park Idea is Indorsed...," The Dallas Morning News, February 23, 1916, p. 8.
14. Mrs. Kate M. Bryan was an early resident of Dallas, and was the daughter of Dr. J. B. Keaton. The family moved here in 1866. Dr. Keaton operated a small hotel at the southeast corner of Jefferson and Commerce, diagonally across the street from the courthouse. Mrs. Bryan was living in California, with a son, in 1938. Source: "St. Matthew's Cathedral Records Become Repository For Dallas Historical Data," The Dallas Morning News, February 5, 1938, p. 4, col. 2-3.