TO OCCUPY NEW
REMOVAL OF COUNTY
MENTS DELAYED BY AR-
RIVAL OF FURNITURE
of the late arrival of a shipment of furniture, with which the
new County Records building is to be equipped, that new building
will not be formally opened until about June 15, County Judge
F. H. Alexander said Saturday. The furniture has arrived and
is now being installed. Only steel furniture is being placed
in the building, which is fireproof throughout.
- June 3, 1928, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, Sec. II, p. 6, col. 1-2.
The new structure, erected at a
cost of nearly $800,000, including site and furnishings, is six
stories with basement. It is located next to the Criminal Courts
building on Main and Houston streets.
Within ten days, the various administrative
department of the county will begin moving into the new building.
The old courthouse is to be utilized exclusively as a court building,
except for the district clerk's office. It is necessary that
the district clerks' office be located in the same building with
the courts, as petitions and court papers are filed there.
The two county courts at law, now
located in the Deere building, across the street from the jail
building, are to be moved into the old courthouse, as is Judge
N. G. Williams' County Criminal court, now located on the first
floor of the Criminal Courts building.
Among those departments to occupy
the new Records building are county clerk, county health officer,
tax collector, tax assessor, county school superintendent, county
engineer, assistant district attorney in charge of civil matters;
county auditor, Commissioners' court and other minor departments.
The grand jury quarters will remain
on the third floor of the old courthouse.
- o o o -
VIDES FOR FRAIL YOUNG-
STERS AT BACHMAN'S
children--boys and girls ranging in age from 7 to 12 years--as
guests, the free rest camp, owned and operated by the Dallas
Tuberculosis association, is to open Monday at the camp site
at Bachman's dam, according to John W. Everman, president of
The camp has been conducted annually
for a number of years, and hundreds of children have been helped
to health by the association, through proper diet and exercise.
No child with tuberculosis is admitted,
and all of the small guests are carefully examined by the clinic
staff of doctors.
Children selected for the camp
are chose because of being frail or under weight, and thus, more
susceptible to the disease, or who come from tubercular parents,
but themselves do not have the disease.
"The association's medical
director," said Mr. Everman, "in addition to examining
each child before admission, makes weekly examination of each
child to see that proper health improvement is going on, and
also to guard against any disease creeping into the camp that
might spread, and the success secured by this care is proven
by the fact that no children's disease of any kind has ever crept
into the camp, notwithstanding the many hundreds of children
that have been cared for, and all were returned to their homes
with improved health and gain in weight, and, in addition to
this, the association arranges for the children, free of all
expense, to have tonsils and adenoids removed and necessary dental
The children are selected from
families who could not bear the expense of paying for a summer
outing for their children. Treatment of the children at the rest
camp consists of proper diet and ample rest periods. Meals are
carefully planned, largely following national government health
department advice, which makes special recommendations as to
diet for gain in health and weight and, in addition to the three
regular meals served daily, they are given milk between meals,
averaging over one quart, per child, per day.
The children are taught cleanliness
and general health rules.
Equipment of Camp.
- June 3, 1928, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, Sec. III, p. 6, col. 1.
The camp is equipped with a large
swimming pool, where the children enjoy their daily dip. The
camp has a library, representing gifts of good friends, picture
books, principally, and when they take their afternoon rest in
bed, each is furnished with a book to attract their interest.
The camp is equipped with a merry-go-round
that will accommodate fifty children, turn-table, numerous swings,
see-saws and other play equipment. Some good friend presented
the camp, two or three years ago, with a moving picture machine,
and the moving picture companies of Dallas have combined, for
several years (and will do the same this year), to provide the
camp with sets of pictures, free, so that a picture show can
be given every other night at the camp.
The camp is provided with an electric
washing machine and steam dryer, and, as the little children
at the camp are very limited as to wardrobe, their day clothes
are washed every night, and their night clothes washed every
day to add to their comfort.
The camp is supplied with adequate
toilet facilities, has its own sewage disposal plant, all necessary
repairs have been made on the camp building, camp equipage being
painted, ground thoroughly cleaned and Dr. Carrick, who recently,
personally inspected the camp, certified that it is in splendid
There were more than 250 children
cared for last year, and the association returned to their homes,
650 pounds more of children than they received.
The camp will continue in operation
during June, July, August and the first week in September, and
the Dallas folks are earnestly urged to come out to the camp
and visit the children there. It is planned to take care of a
total of about 250 children this summer, averaging about seventy
children at one time. The association is a member of the Dallas
Community Chest, receiving its financial support from that body.
- o o o -
NEW AND OLD TYPES
LAS FURNISH INTEREST-
Photos by Miller
and protection were [the lures] impelling the construction of
early Texas buildings in protection from Indians was found necessary
by the colonists and their rock homes were constructed on heavy
foundations and with thick walls which would withstand the bullets
The last home of the
original Peters Colony, known as La Reunion,
at Westmoreland boulevard, near Colorado boulevard.
In the section west of the Trinity
river, near the point where Colorado boulevard and Westmoreland
road cross, is the last remaining home of the Peters colony,
the city of Reunion, a group of French settlers who settled there
in 1850. The roof, which has been replaced several times, now
sags and the door has fallen out, yet the walls [are] as sturdy
now as in the early days of the French colony.
Top: the home of S.
P. Cimiotti, 1131 Kessler boulevard, indicating a
true type of French renaissance. Bottom: the Spanish type home
W. G. Davis at 1806 Colorado boulevard.
In the new development in that
section, embracing a portion of the colony territory, the French
atmosphere has been carried out in the construction of a home
of the Renaissance type, designed by modern architects and built
of modern materials, affording an interesting contrast to the
home built seventy-five years ago.
Reminders of Colonists.
- June 3, 1928, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, Sec. IV, p. 3, col. 1-6.
In other parts of the Stevens Park
district, lie numerous other reminders of the early colonists,
although increasing population and need for the land has resulted
in the destruction of a number of [these] relics of the days
before Dallas was a city and the year when John Neely Bryan was
hunting squirrels east of the Trinity river.
A memorial has been erected to
the colonists, who optimistically established their little settlement
in the section now chosen as a residence area of unusual attractiveness
and beauty. There are natural-growth trees, many of which were
on the spot when the colonists built their homes there, and many
more, grown from the seeds of trees that have since died of old
age and the onslaughts of the elements.
The natural roll of the ground
in that area afforded an opportunity for the development of winding
boulevards and beautiful parkways and the subdivisions that have
been developed there are planned by engineers who had that in
The subdivisions in the area include
Stevens Park Estates, which occupies a portion of the old colony
area; Kessler Park, Kessler Highlands, Kessler Square, Flander
Heights, Evergreen Hills, Lafayette Heights, Beverly Hills, Westmont
- o o o -
HOPE COTTAGE, WHERE 1,500
BABES HAVE BEEN CARED FOR,
WILL OBSERVE ANNIVERSARY
its tenth anniversary, and in honor of the 1,500 foundling babies
it has given status to, Hope Cottage will hold open house Sunday
afternoon from 2 to 5 o'clock.
As announced by the board of directors,
the occasion, aside from its special significance, is, for the
purpose of interesting the general public in the work of Hope
Cottage, and to bring about a more accurate understanding of
its part in the unified social welfare program of the city. Hope
Cottage is the outgrowth of a perplexing condition that confronted
social welfare workers during the war period, when the increased
number of abandoned babies became alarming.
Despite intense efforts of various
groups, the situation continued to become despairing. A special
group, headed by Mrs. Emma Wylie Ballard, present executive secretary
of the cottage, and, at that time, director of the Dallas County
Humane society, concluded that establishment of an institution
for the temporary care of foundling children was the immediate
On June 1, 1918, the cottage was
formally opened in South Dallas. Within a brief period, the small
residence proved inadequate and quarters were secured in the
old Presbyterian Mission home, at that time, in disuse. Through
various vicissitudes, the institution struggled along, managing
somehow to launch into life, 542 babies during its first two
years of operation.
Klan Built Home.
The character of its work began
to draw attention and interest from various quarters, and in
February, 1922, the Ku Klux Klan donated $50,000 for a permanent
home, the present one at 2301 Wellborn street. Although the new
home solved many of the problems of housing--for Hope Cottage
was now caring for an average of fifty babies--the financial
problems which had nearly forced it to close several times, continued
to be one of indefinite hazards. And, it was not until formation
of the Community Chest, that executives and staff could devote
their entire time and energies to the work for which it was organized.
At the present time, about seventy
babies are cared for during the early months of life. Later,
after fullest investigation and planning, they are placed in
homes where they will grow up with opportunities equal to the
average child of family.
Contrary to much existing opinion,
Mrs. Ballard explained Saturday, Hope Cottage is not a home for
babies. It is only a temporary shelter where they are kept until
plans can be made for their adoption. Very often, this means
long days, and even weeks, of tender nursing and medical care.
The majority come to the cottage within a few hours of birth,
many of them having only a slender hope of life.
Not All Abandoned
3, 1928, Dallas Daily Times Herald, Sec. VI, p. 7, col. 4-5.
Not all children that reach the
cottage are nameless, Mrs. Ballard said. Quite a few are from
parents physically or mentally incapable of providing for them.
When such is the case, it is a decision that has come only after
the most careful forethought and investigation. Perhaps one of
the finest bits of the work at Hope Cottage is that done with
mothers who are, at first, determined to give their babies away,
"We make very effort to keep
mother and child together," said Mrs. Ballard, "and
very often, we succeed in bringing this about by caring for the
baby until the mother is established in such position as makes
possible the relationship. But, there are the hundreds who have
gone into foster homes. There is always one question asked by
visitors with the manifestations of the greatest interest. 'How
do adopted children turn out?' And the answer, according to Mrs.
Ballard, is: "Just about like other children."
There is a surprising disparity
between the facts and general opinion as to mentality and congenital
disease of Hope Cottage babies, she continued. Looking back over
the years and a large volume of correspondence from foster parents,
Mrs. Ballard states the conviction that nameless and foundling
children, if given equal opportunity in home and environment
with other children, make equally good citizens.
"There is no solution for
the problem of the foundling children, other than caring for
them during the first few months of life and then selecting the
right home for them" said Mrs. Ballard. "Occasionally,
this means finding the mother and father and inducing them to
care for the child. But, with the present attitude of society
and the general incompetency of many parents. This is impossible
and the only answer is the plan of Hope Cottage."
There are a number of babies at
the cottage now ready for adoption and the general public is
invited by the board of directors to interest themselves in their
The reception and open house today
is planned also as a period of informing the public as to the
problem, and how Community Chest dollars are being expended to
- o o o -
|Sgt. Sam Hill
is shown in the picture above, sitting at his desk at the new
police sub-station in Oak Lawn, just after taking charge at 3
o'clock Saturday afternoon. The sub-station is shown above. It
was formerly used as a sub-station for the telephone company.
(Photos by Paine)
THREE NEW SERGEANTS
NAMED IN SEPTEMBER
changes in the uniform and plain clothes division of the police
department were announced Saturday afternoon when the regular
monthly detail for September was made known.
- September 2, 1928,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, Sec. II, p. 1, col. 2.
Three additional sergeants were
announced, the personnel of the squads for duty at the new Oak
Lawn station assigned and one promotion from the uniform to the
plain clothes division was made.
W. D. Williams and A. N. Vittrupp,
with Harry Trammell were named as police sergeants. Williams
was assigned on one of the details at the Oak Lawn station.
Harry Trammell was placed on the
desk at the city jail office to fill the vacancy caused by the
removal to Oak Cliff of Sergeant Dietz.
Sam Hall, sergeant at Oak Cliff
for many years, was transferred to the Oak Lawn station and Sergeant
V. S. Carroll was assigned as the third sergeant at the Oak Lawn
E. V. Bunch was promoted from the
uniform division to plain clothes to fill the vacancy caused
by the promotion of W. D. Williams.
G. T. Totten and E. D. Wofford,
A. S. Cole and A. E. Cody, C. R. Gallagher and W. P. Slaughter,
comprise the emergency squads working during the three eight-hour
shifts at the Oak Lawn station.
Sam Hall took over the new station
Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock with Squad Officers Cole and
- o o o -
to New Supper Club
front entrance to the $150,000 supper club that will be built
on the Fort Worth pike, eight miles from Dallas, is shown in
the above picture. Contract for the building proper has not been
let. Foundation work has been completed, according to F. W. Day,
who will be general manager of the club. The building will be
of Moorish design. The architects are W. Scott Dunne and Herschell
D. Smith & Son. The above sketch was drawn by Guy F. Cahoon.
INNOVATION FOR DALLAS
been started on a $150,000 exclusive high class supper club on
the Fort Worth pike, eight miles from Dallas, it was learned
Saturday. The club will be one of the finest of its kind in the
Southwest, the builders say.
The foundation for the building
was completed last week. Contract has not been let for the building
itself yet, but will be awarded soon, according to F. W. Day,
who is to be general manager of the club. It may be let this
week, he added.
The club will be constructed by
the Bagdad Enterprises, Inc., a Texas corporation, controlled
by Eastern capital. Stock in the corporation may be sold to Dallasites
later on, it was announced. The corporation is a subsidiary of
a large Eastern company that confines itself to various theatrical
The name of the club is to be "The
Bagdad Supper Club. It will deal with trade of only high class
nature, according to Mr. Day. He added that it would be an innovation
in forms of entertainment that Dallas has been receiving.
- September 2, 1928,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, Sec. III, p. 5, col. 1-3.
The building will be of Moorish
design, according to the builders. It will be a two-story structure,
stuccoed on the outside. The building will have rounded spires,
just as the old buildings of the Moors. It will be distinctively
oriental in all of its features.
The structure will be built on
a four and one-half acre tract. It will be set back three hundred
feet from the pike. A "horseshoe" driveway will be
constructed to the building, in addition to a walk.
In the center of the walk leading
to the building, a large fountain will be constructed. A parking
space will be provided for over three hundred automobiles around
A stage, dance floor, dining rooms
and lounging rooms have been provided for in the plans. The dance
floor will be one of the largest in the Southwest, says Mr. Day.
Plans call for the main dining room to have a seating capacity
of 450 persons.
Mr. Day will leave for Chicago
this week to obtain the services of a nationally known band for
the opening of the club, and also to secure recognized entertainers.
He said that a floor show would be obtained that consisted of
from twelve to fifteen people.
According to present plans, two
shows will be staged each night, one about 6:30 p. m., during
the dinner hour, and the other about 1 a. m. for the after theater
The performers will be provided
with living quarters at the club, so they may be available at
any time for special occasions.
- o o o -
Many Dallas Landmarks
- March 20, 1948, The
Dallas Morning News
- o o o -
to Dallas after an absence of thirty-two years, N. H. Goodwin,
formerly manager of the American Press Association here, Saturday
found that the city had developed so much that he was unable
to find any of the old landmarks with which his memories of Dallas
are associated. He made a tour of the city with E. S. Eberly,
who was a bookkeeper for him when he was in Dallas.
- October 7, 1928,
Dallas Morning News,
"Dallas has certainly changed
and grown since I was here," he said. "My offices of
the American Press Association at that time were in a building
at the corner of Main and Akard streets, where the Southwestern
Life Building now stands. On the third floor was the telephone
exchange. I think six operators handled the entire Dallas traffic"
Goodwin, who was connected with
the American Press Association until it was merged with the Western
Newspaper Union, is now retired and lives at Santa Anna, Cal.
He recently made a boat trip to New York City and is now on his
way back by rail to California.
He will be in Dallas until
Monday noon as the guest of Eberly at 5516 Tremont street.
Local & Womens News Section, p. 1, col. 1.
- o o o -