(Transcribed by Dorman
Among the most prominent towns
in the county outside the city of Dallas, is Garland. It is situated
on Duck creek, about 17 miles in a northeasterly direction from
the city of Dallas, at the junction of the Missouri, Kansas &
Texas and the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe railroads, and near
the site of the old town of Duck Creek.
In 1886, the Gulf, Colorado &
Santa Fe railroad was located, and its line run about one mile
east of the town of Duck Creek, and a town was at once laid out
on the railroad and called Embree, after Dr. K. H. Embree, one
of the leading physicians of Duck Creek, which latter adopted
the name of the new town and ere long began moving near the railroad,
and within a year's time all the business houses of old Duck
Creek were doing business in a live little railroad town called
But the quiet of the new town was
soon disturbed by the advent of another railroad. The Missouri,
Kansas & Texas located a line from Dallas to Greenville,
running through the county near Embree, and another town was
begun under the name of the old town that was over on the creek,
and then sprung up a rivalry between the two new towns, Duck
Creek and Embree. At first Embree had the advantage, as
that was the name of the post office, but Duck Creek was fighting
for it, while Embree was fighting to retain it. Many interesting
scenes and circumstances attended this scramble for a name, including
midnight rides to Dallas and back with an officer to restrain
one or the other of the town from incorporating and thus more
firmly fixing its name, and giving it precedence over the other.
After a brief period of time, throught the efforts of Hon. Thomas
F. Nash and several other prominent citizens of Duck Creek, the
name of the post office was changed from Embree to Garland (after
the then postmaster general), and at once Duck Creek adopted
the name of the new post office, and "on the home-run Garland
gained on her adversary and passed under the wires a full length
ahead." The commenced the decline of Embree and of the new
town, and ere many mouths those same houses which had been moved
from old Duck Creek to Embree were moved down to Garland, and
Embree is now numbered among the things of the past.
In 1891 Garland incorporated, and
now does business in a city-like manner, with M. Davis Williams
as mayor (1892).
The first officers of the incorporated
town were: M. Davis Williams, mayor; Tobe Ethridge, marshal;
S. E. Scott, J. N. Floyd, J. R. Brown, S. A. Allen and J. D.
All the religious denominations
are represented, though there are only two church buildings in
the town proper, the Christian and the Baptist, the other denominations
using the college hall in which to hold their services.
The Baptist and Methodist denominations
each had established churches here long before the town of Garland
was thought of, not in the town, nor where the town now is, but
near it, on Duck creek; and a lttle farther down the creek was
the "Christian," or, as it is sometimes called the
"Campbellite," church. Since the building of
the town, the Baptists and Christians have each built a church
in town, and the Methodist have purchased a lot preparatory to
building, as have also the Cumberland Presbyterians. The pastors
of the different denominations for this year (1892) are: Baptist,
Rev. J. A. Moore; Methodist, Rev. J. M. McKee; Cumberland Presbyterian,
Rev. L. A. Dunlap; Christian, Rev. C. L. Cole.
This little town also has its share
of secret societies. The Masons and Odd Fellows have each a hall,
and the lodges are known as Duck Creek Lodge, No. 441, A. F.
& A. M., and Duck Creek Lodge, No. 304, I.O.O.F. The Knights
of Honor also have a lodge, Duck Creek Lodge, No. 2,729.
The principal houses are: J. D.
Curfman, general merchandise; Crossman Brothers, grocers; Brown
& Hoygood, general merchandise; Mark Elliston & Company,
general merchandise; Beaver, Scott & Williams, general merchandiese;
William Brothers undertakers and furniture dealers; Clark &
Sebastian, hardware; C. C. Bradley, hardware and farming implements;
Sam C. Hall, druggist; Pacific Drug Store, Dr. R. E. Summers,
proprietor; W. T. Jackson, liquors and cigars; J. T. Mewshaw,
blacksmith and carriage shops; Weaver & Wells, livery and
feed stables; Tinsley & Parker, meat market; City Barber
Shop, H. L. Erwin, proprietor; Bird Cage Barber Shop; John C.
The professional men in town are:
T. F. Nash, attorney at law; R.E. Summers, K. H. Embree, J. V.
Ryon, T. S. Walker, J. D. Jackson, and E. H. Ayres, physicians.
The Garland News, the only newspaper
published in Garland, is issued weekly by John H. Cullom, its
founder, who began publishing it there about five years ago.
(Transcribed by Dorman
Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical
History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,,
1892, pp. 195-196. Permission to reproduce this transcription
must be obtained from Dorman Holub)