Religion, Dallas County, Texas
To Dallas County Archives main page
(Updated February 9, 2004)


Bishop Garrett.

     The Right Rev. Alexander C. Garrett delivered, at St. Matthew's church, on Sunday, to a large congregation, his first sermon in Dallas. His discourse was marked by much of the eloquence and ability for which this pious and learned divine is so distinguished. The bishop is a very forcible and polished speaker, an admirable elocutionist, and the subject matter of his sermon, the birth of Christ, was such as might be expected from a mind enriched by a generous store of culture and a heart full of noble and holy impulses. The simplicity and naturalness of his manner in the pulpit was in keeping with the dignity of his office, while the impression produced upon those who heard him for the first time, was very gratifying to churchmen, and flattering to the bishop, who enters upon his new field of labors with the accustomed zeal and with the best wishes of not only the church, but the community.

- January 5, 1875, Dallas Daily Herald, p. 4, col. 1.
- o o o -


     Rabbi H. M. Bien will deliver this evening at the temple Emanuel, the second of his lectures on Jewish Sects, from a Jewish standpoint. Subject: "The origin of the sects and their historical development." Service commences by 8 o'clock p. m. The public are cordially invited.

- July 16, 1880, The Dallas Herald, p. 8, col. 3.
- o o o -



The Rev. R. T. Hanks Demands a
Church Investigation of the
Charges Against Him.

     Last May, reports of a scandalous nature were circulated in this city, charging the Rev. R. T. Hanks, pastor of the First Baptist Churth, with outrageous conduct. These reports soon gained such a general circulation and became the subjects of street gossips, that the church officials had to notice them, and accordingly, a committee was appointed to investigate. This committee reported in September to the congregation that they could find no evidences whatever, implicating Dr. Hanks in criminal action, and they submitted resolutions expressing perfect confidence in his Christianity and virtue, and pronouncing the reports as wicked slanders, and furthermore inviting any one who knew to the contrary to make specific charges. These resolutions were unanimously adopted and the matter was thought to be settled. Lately, however, the scandal has broken out afresh, and it has become so annoying to Rev. Hanks that last Sunday a week ago, resolutions were offered at his request proposing a church trial. The resolutions provided that the tribunal be composed of seven Baptist ministers of the state, as follows: A. T. Spalding, Galveston; B. H. Carroll, Waco; F. M. Law, Bryan; M. V. Smith, Belton; J. H. Striblin, Rockdale; R. C. Buckner, Dallas; A. W. Simms, Cleburne; also that the following twelve gentlemen of the congregation be appointed to assist in collecting evidence to be submitted to the committee of ministers, these however, to have no voice in the verdict. The date for the trial of the charges was set for Dec. 3d next. The twelve appointed were as follows: J. D. Henry, W. L. Williams, C. C. Slaughter, Waid Hill, Ed P. Marshall, C. H. Briggs, G. M. Figh, J. W. Barton, J. T. Hand, S. J. Howell, S. L. May, H. L. Lewis, and the following ministers were added last night by request of parties who are opposing Mr. Hanks: J. S. Gillespie, Fort Worth; W. H. Howard, Austin; J. L. Lloyd, Kaufman; Jerry Clark, Hillsboro; G. W. Griffin, Longview; T. J. Harris, Gainesville; H. M. Burrows, and one other whose name could not be learned. A committee of twelve members of the congregation were then appointed by the opposition whose duties were to be the same as those of the twelve named by the church, the names of this last committee, however, aside from Messrs. Prather, Ardrey and Akins, were not obtained in time for this issue.  [At th]e meeting last night, the resolutions were unanimously adopted, there being only two dissenting voices, and were warmly supported by Rev. Hanks himself.
     It is now definitely understood by all parties at interest, that the verdict of this tribunal, be it as it may, would be accepted by the entire congregation and the resolution so provides, thus effectually settling in the minds of the public as well as the disaffected members of this congregation.

- November 26, 1888, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3-5.
- o o o -


     The Dallas County Sunday School Association will hold its twelfth annual convention at Garland August 8 and 9. An excellent programme has been prepared. The best Sunday school talent in the state will be present and a most excellent and profitable time is expected. This is the strongest and best organized association in the state and its work has wrought great good in this county. All Sunday school workers are cordially invited to be on hand and help on the good work.

- July 25, 1889, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 1.
- o o o -

[No Heading]

     The Seventh Day Adventists have gone into the Embree park at Garland pitching tents, etc., preparatory to their annual camp meeting and conference, which begins Tuesday, August 27. Their workers' meeting, or general laborers' institute commenced yesterday, and will reach up to the time of the beginning of the camp meeting proper.      During this meeting there will be given a series of lectures, to commence about Thursday night, on "Civil Government and Religion; or, the Relation Between Church and State." Every one is invited to all the services of these meetings.

- August 21, 1889, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 2.
- o o o -


     Trinity water is clear again and the waterworks superintendent says it will hold its limpid color until the next big rain.
     Rev. M. T. Brown (colored) of Paris, has been called and accepted the pastorate of the Young Street Christian (colored) Church.

- September 3, 1889, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
- o o o -


As Pastor of the First Baptist Church
of Dallas.

     The meeting of the First Baptist Church last night was called to order for the regular monthly transaction of business, a prominent feature in the order being action on the matter of the pastor's resignation which was tendered some three months ago to take effect the middle of this month.
     Rev. Mr. Malone, a member of the church, was called to the chair and the pastor whose resignation was to receive attention retired from the building.
     The first business was the reading of a report from the committee on discipline recommending that certain names of members who had bolted and united with the East Dallas church be stricken from the church rolls. One exception was made, however, on the list furnished by the East Dallas church, and that was the name of a lady which it was state had been enrolled on the East Dallas register without her sanction. She had no desire to align herself with the East Dallas body and will remain a member of the First Church.
     At a former meeting, a committee was appointed to recommend or suggest the name of some one to fill the pastorate. That committee asked to be discharged and declined to make a report, preferring to leave the matter to the church to act upon unbiased by any suggestions a committee might make.
     Col. W. L. Williams moved to go into the election of a pastor.
The vote on this proposition stood fifty-one for and eleven against. In putting his motion, Col. Williams stated that his purpose was to nominate Rev. R. T. Hanks and recall him.
     Mr. Hanks' name was placed before the meeting and he was re-called, the vote standing fifty-five for, and eight against.
Five voted against a motion to make his election unanimous.
     A committee was appointed to notify Mr. Hanks of his election and the business meeting adjourned until the first Wednesday night in next month.

- October 3, 1889, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
- o o o -



The Troubles of the East Dallas
Methodist Church Will be

     Last Saturday, Elder Pearce, the presiding elder, preached at the East Dallas Methodist church. His remarks had direct bearing upon the disagreement which has sprung up out there between the church and two or three members. It was announced that the trouble would be disposed of at conference meeting Saturday night, and by invitation, a TIMES-HERALD reporter was present to hear the final outcome. Contrary to expectations, when services opened, Mr. Dixon announced that, for reason best known to the pastor, Rev. Mr. Blackburn, and the presiding elder, the special object of the meeting had been postponed until a future date, which would be announced later. The meeting then resolved into a song and prayer service and passed without a ripple.
     This congregation worships in a small white church building with a spire pointing heavenward. It stands just across the branch on Haskell avenue, which marks the bounds of the city on the east. It is a neatly finished and furnished building. The aisles are carpeted and the pews are comfortable and inviting. Everything betokens peace and reveals the liberal spirit of the congregation in providing a place of worship. but for reference made to their troubles by those who spoke, the stranger would never know they had any trouble.
     It is a debt on the cozy little church building that they are wrangling over, but they hope to have it settled soon.

- August 4, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 2.
- o o o -



He is Expected in Dallas This

     Bishop Thomas F. Brennan, of this diocese, left New Orleans last night for Galveston, where he will be the guest of Bishop Gallagher for several days and then come direct to Dallas, his future home. He is expected in this city Sunday.
     Bishop Brennan was born in Ireland, but received his public school education in the lumber region of Pennsylvania. He graduated at Allegany, N. Y., college; studied the classics in Rouen, France; studied theology at Innesbruck, Germany, and won the doctor's cap in Rome ten years ago. Since then, he has built three churches in Forest, Potter and Elk counties, Pa., where he has labored hard for ten years, tramping day and night through unbroken forests to his priestly duties, defying the elements and wild beasts. He has traveled through Spain, Germany, Russia, Africa and other counties, and represented the Erie diocese at the pope's jubilee, and at that time, was made a domestic prelate with the title of monsignor.
     He will make the Church of the Sacred Heart in this city the pro-cathedral with will proceed at once to build a new cathedral and orphan asylum and establish a new order of sisters and a religious order for men. He is the youngest prelate in the United States, and will have one of the largest dioceses covering 22,000 square miles, with a Catholic population of 22,000.

- April 21, 1891, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 4.
- o o o -


The Ordination of Father Hartnett at the

     At pontifical high mass in the pro-cathedral yesterday, Rev. J. A. Hartnett of Weatherford was raised to the priesthood by Right Rev. Bishop Brennan, assisted by Father Martiniere, V. G., archdeacon; Father Donohue of Sherman and Father Moore of Dallas, deacons; Father Brickley of St. Patrick's, deacon of the mass; Mr. Thomas Blakeney, sub-deacon; Rev. Dr. Coffey, master of ceremonies, and Rev. Father Coyne, assistant master of ceremonies. At 9 a. m., the procession was formed at the episcopal residence, whence it proceeded by Ervay street and thence on Bryan street to the pro-cathedral. The ceremony of ordination was very impressive, and was witnessed by the largest congregation that had ever assembled in the church, among those present being a large number of the relatives of Father Hartness. The bishop delivered a short, but beautiful, discourse on the duties of the priesthood. The ordination was followed by a reception at the episcopal residence. Father Hartnett studied for the priesthood at Cincinnati. He will be stationed at the pro-cathedral. Mr. Thomas Blakeney, who has received the orders of sub-deacon, is a son of Mr. Hugh Blakeney, of Dallas. He will be ordained next year.

- July 6, 1891, Dallas Morning News, p. 5, col. 4.
- o o o -




With the Wife of Another Man.
The Story as Told by the
St. Louis Republic.

Southern Afternoon Press.
T. LOUIS, Nov. 20.--The Republic published the following story:
     A bondsman was secured last night, after considerable negotiating during the day, and Louis H. Carhart, a Methodist clergyman, and Mrs. James Smith were released from jail, having given bail for their appearance before the court of criminal correction to answer to a charge of lewd cohabitation, on which they were arrested last Monday afternoon. The history of the case is a peculiar one. Rev. Mr. Carhart has a wife and family residing in Brooklyn, N. Y., and was pastor of a Methodist church in Dallas, Tex. He does not look like a man at all liable to alienate a wife's affections. He is tall and dark, with a black head and dark eyes, but is not handsome. He is on the shady side of 50 years and looks every day that age. Sleepless nights spent in jail had given his eyes an unnatural glitter and his face was devoid of color. He seemed greatly annoyed and worried about the trouble in which he had become involved and was anxious for vindication, though his sagacious lawyer advised him not to fret over his troubles. Rev. Carhart could not look upon the matter from the attorney's placid point of view, and spent some time yesterday preparing a document for publication, headed "Revenge Reversed," in which he demonstrated to his own entire satisfaction that he was the victim of malicious prosecution, and that Mr. James Smith was all in the wrong.
     When Rev. Mr. Carhart was arrested, he had some money about his person. This became known among the shyster lawyers and professional bondsmen at the Four Courts and Rev. Mr. Carhart was embarrassed in selecting from among the many applicants for his "business." Yesterday, the bonds were made out for both Rev. Mr. Carhart and Mrs. Smith and they were released soon after 6 o'clock.


     Mr. James Smith, a prominent resident of Springfield, Ill, came to the city Monday and obtained warrants against Carhart and Mrs. Smith, charging them with living together as Mr. and Mrs. Williams. He claimed that his wife met Rev. Mr. Carhart at Hot Springs, Ark., and on her return home, exchanged frequent letters with him, and about two months ago, left Springfield to join the clergyman. He followed her to Chicago and then to various other places, and after considerable running about, he finally located his wife in St. Louis. His story was sufficiently clear and specific to induce Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Estep to issue warrants against Carhart and Mrs. Smith.
     Mrs. Smith was stopping at 118 South Fourteenth street, where Rev. Mr. Carhart had introduced her as Mrs. Williams, his wife, and where he frequently visited her. She is a woman of about 45 years, and of commonplace appearance and a commonplace history. She did not live happily with her husband, but was supposed to be a virtuous and dutiful wife until her flight from home.


     Rev. Mr. Carhart is married. His wife, Mrs. Clara Carhart, lives on Washington street, Brooklyn, N. Y. and is taking a course of instruction at the New York Homeopathic Medical College. His son is attending Princeton College, and his daughter is a student at a New York art school It is said that the family is well known and highly respected in Brooklyn, where Rev. Mr. Carhart owns some property. Rev. Mr. Carhart was, until recently, pastor of a church in Dallas, Tex. He has preached in other cities in the south and west. He denies that he ever had a church in Brooklyn or New York, and refused to tell the names of the various places where he has been in charge of congregations. Since he left Dallas and visited Hot Springs, Rev. Mr. Carhart seems to have abandoned his ministerial calling and determined to enter business. He went to Chicago, and after consulting with the manufacturers of a patent medicine called "Veavi," secured the St. Louis agency, which is located in room 35 of the Bell telephone building. He took the agency as A. B. Carhart, but in signing papers securing the company employing him, he signed himself L. H. Carhart. These papers were sent to New York for the signature of Carhart's wife. In explaining why he used two sets of initials, Carhart said that his right initials were L. H., but that he took the agency under his son's name, as there were claims against him in Texas that might be pressed here were he to enter business under his own name. The whole case is very much jumbled, and no effort has been made by Rev. Mr. Carhart to give a full and candid explanation. He will talk about the charges against himself, but is very reticent concerning his past history.
     The Chicago people, whose agent Rev. Mr. Carhart had become, have not yet sent anyone to St. Louis to take charge of their business. Mrs. M. C. Dodson of 2930 Washington avenue, is in charge of the office. She says that she has known Rev. Mr. Carhart for about a month. When he took charge of the agency, he asked her to remain with him three months until he could familiarize himself with the business, when they could talk about the future. She says that she expects the Chicago company to send a representative to St. Louis to-day.


     Rev. Mr. Carhart declares that he has been the victim of Mr. Smith's malice. According to his statements, his relations with Mrs. Smith were simply those of a friend and adviser. She came to him in distress after leaving her husband, and he took her to a respectable boarding house, where he introduced her as Mrs. Williams. His reason for doing this, he says, were that a woman living alone without friends would excite distrust and might meet with insult. He said that Mrs. Smith was seeking employment and that he did all he could to assist her. He never gave her any money and she had sufficient to meet all her wants. He insists that their relations were perfectly pure and honest.
     In his statement, "Revenge Reversed," Rev. Mr. Carhart says that the side of the enemy only has been heard. He believe that this friends will not place any low interpretation on the assistance he gave Mrs. Smith. "No husband worthy of the name," he wrote, "would deliberately allow a lady in poor health to be thrust into jail and its vicious surroundings. When a woman declares herself unable to live longer with a man, the least he can do is to allow her to go and do for herself and make her own living. If he thinks to enslave her, he is simply a fool and deserves no sympathy."
     He adds that Smith cannot prove that any improper relations ever existed between himself and Mrs. Smith.



     Rev. L. H. Carhart, the subject of the above, is well known in Dallas. About ten years ago, he was pastor of the Tabernacle (Northern) M. E. church, and many of the old members of the congregation will remember his tall, handsome figure and his pleasant address. He was a fine looking man with long, black, flowing beard. He possessed excellent social qualities and he was popular as a man and pastor, both with his congregation and the community at large. His wife was a pleasant little woman in her sphere as the wife of the pastor. She divided the laurels of popularity with her husband. They had several children, and it was a happy family. Mr. Carhart served the church about two years and while he was here, it is said that his record was perfect. No tale of scandal followed his deportment while he was in this city, but after he left here and went to other fields, some of his Dallas friends heard rumors of scandal and indiscreet conduct involving the subsequent life of the former Dallas pastor.

- November 20, 1891, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3-4.
- o o o -
[Additional information on Rev. Carhart can be found here:

[No Heading]

     Rev. Dr. A. P. Smith of the First Presbyterian church preached his first sermon in this city eighteen years, five months and fourteen days ago, and his first congregation was composed of fifteen persons. Since that time, the following figures give the results of his pastorate: sermons preached, 2426, lectured delivered, 988, pastoral visits, 20,000; funerals, 367; baptisms, 280; marriages, 378; members on certificates, 797, on examination, 327; dismissed and buried, 774; present membership, 350; money collected for various causes, $65,343, an average per year of $3690; Ladies' aid society average per year, $200; in addition to this is the Sabbath school collection and the Young Ladies' missionary society. He ordained and installed seventeen ruling elders and eighteen deacons.

- January 25, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 3.
- o o o -

Added February 9, 2004:

A Charter Taken Out by Residents of

     The Dallas Spiritualists have filed a charter with the secretary of state. The charter provides the object of the association to be to support public worship and to advance, disseminate and maintain the principles, tenets an faith of spiritualism. The incorporators are Benjamin C. Tabor, Marcus L. Hodges, Julius C. Watkins, Ignatz G. Przedmojski, Alan C. Clarke, Asa J. Whitsell, Claramond W. Watkins, Oscar Dalton, Agatha W. Erdmansky, Simpson H. Tabor, Lou H. Willis, Hatfield Pettibone, Madison J. Hurd, Kathadene Hurd, John H. Johnson, M. L. Burt and Jno. J. Burt, all of Dallas.
     Trustees: Benjamin C. Tabor, Marcus L. Hodges, Julius C. Watkins, Ignatz G. Przedmojski and Alan G. Clarke.

- January 19, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 3.
- o o o -

The Union Gospel Meetings

     Conducted by Evangelist F. L. Smith of New York commence to-night in the large new gospel tent on the corner of Main and Stone streets, opposite the Jennie Scollard building. There will be special song service by a large chorus at 7:40. There will be preaching service every night at 8 o'clock. The union prayer meeting in the Methodist Tabernacle Church on Main street will take place at 10 o'clock every morning except Sunday.

- April 27, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3.
- o o o -


     The Episcopal congregation of Oak Cliff are putting up a church on the corner of Ninth street and Grand avenue, which is to be of wood and brick. Mr. M. M. Remick has the contract for building it.

- July 20, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col.1.
- o o o -


     Rev. Father John F. Coffey, D. D. L L. D., has been in the city for the past two weeks, stopping with friends. It is understood that the object of his visit is to put himself in possession of facts that will cause a retraction of the grave charges against Bishop Brennan, or that will refute them.

- July 20, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col.3.
- o o o -


     The cornerstone of the Episcopal church, now in course of erection in Oak Cliff, will be laid with appropriate ceremonies this evening at 5 o'clock by Rt. Rev. Bishop Garrett. A copy of the TIMES HERALD, a copy of the Bible and a copy of the Dallas News, with other newspapers of the country and documents, will be placed in the cornerstone.

- July 21, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
- o o o -


     The South Dallas M. E. church that was demolished by the cyclone, will soon have its new corner stone laid on South Ervay street, near Seegar.

- August 12, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 2
- o o o -


Very Rev. Father Hickey Reported to Be
the Man.

     Father Blum, at high mass yesterday, stated that a new bishop had been appointed for the diocese of Dallas, but that he had received no official notice of the fact. The Church Press of New York of the 23d instant, says: "There seems to be no reason to doubt that the Very Rev. J. W. Hickey, C. M., will be the next bishop at Dallas, Tex.
     Father Hickey, who was recently pastor of St. Joseph's church, New Orleans, belongs to the Lazarist fathers, and is about 54 years of age. In regard to the appointments, a prominent Catholic said to a T
IMES HERALD reporter: "Father Hickey is a man of wide attainments and great executive abilities. The people here are rejoiced to hear of his appointment, as he is a southern man and in touch with southern people."

- September 4, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 2.
- o o o -


     Thomas Macon, the architect who built the Central Christian church, has just completed a large contract at Houston and returned to Dallas. He will leave in a few days for Anderson, Tex., where he has a contract for building a courthouse.
The Seventh-day Adventists will spread a large tent on Ervay street, near the car stables, on the ground formerly occupied by the Baptist tabernacle, and begin a course of lectures on the prophecies of the Old and New Testament, Thursday night.
     Elder Borden, of the Christian church, is conducting an interesting and successful revival in West Dallas. Some ten converts were baptized yesterday afternoon at Kellar Springs, and there are ten or fifteen more whom it is expected will be baptized soon.

- September 4, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1.
- o o o -


     Westminster Presbyterian church, corner McKinney avenue and Phelps street. Services to-morrow at 11 a. m. and 8 p. m. by Rev. J. D. McLean, pastor. Subject of morning discourse, "Baptism."
     Rev. John S. McLean has been elected pastor of the old school Presbyterian church at Marshall.
     Rev. N. B. Read of Oak Cliff is conducting a revival at Granbury.

- September 23, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 5.
- o o o -


     At Liberty Hall last night, A. B. Bristol lectured on the poets and poetry of spiritualism. The attendance was large.

- September 25, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 2.
- o o o -



Interesting Ceremonies by Church Dig-
nitaries -- Many Articles, Some of
Them Valuable, Placed Un-
der the Cornerstone.

     The corner-stone of the new St. Matthew's cathedral on Ervay street was laid at noon to-day. After the celebration of communion by Bishop Garrett, the clergy, choir, vestry and congregation marched to the site. The northwest corner of the building was that in which the stone was placed. A tin box, about 10 inches long and about 6 inches in width and 6 in depth, containing the following list of articles, was placed in a square place cut in the foundation.
     1. Holy Bible,
     2. Book of Common Prayer -- standard 1892.
     3. Hymnal, 1892.
     4. Historical Monograph, by the Rev. Edwin Wickers.
     5. The names of the clergy as follows: Rt. Rev. Alexander C. Garrett, D. D., L. L. D., bishop; Rev. William B. Guion, priest in charge; Rev. Edwin Wickers, priest in charge of the Church of Incarnation; rev. John U. Graf, priest in charge of Christ's church, Oak Cliff.
     6. The names of vestry, as follows: Richard Morgan, senior warden; Robert Gibson, junior warden; W. S. Simkins, Webster Snyder, Jules E. Schneider, Charles F. Dexter, H. L. S. Kniffin, William B. Robinson, John A. Pope, vestrymen.
     7. The names of Building Committee, as follows: Webster Snyder, H. L. S. Kniffin.
     8. The names of the architects -- Meper, Sanguinet & Meper.
     9. The name of the contractor -- F. L. Stevenson.
     10. The report of St. Matthew's parish at Easter, 1893.
     11. The catalogue of St. Mary's institute, 1893.
     12. Copy of inscription of memorial brass in St. Matthew's institute.
     13. Prayer for St. Mary's institute, as in daily use.
     14. Journal of the eighteenth convocation of the missionary district of northern Texas.
     15. Copy of the Churchman for Dec. 16, 1893.
     16. Copy of the Church Standard for Dec. 16, 1893.
     17. Copy of the Living church for Dec. 16, 1893.
     18. Copy of the T
IMES HERALD for Dec. 21, 1893.
     19. Copy of the Dallas News for Dec. 22, 1893.
     20. Form of service used on this occasion.
     21. Phial of wheat.
     22. Phial of olive oil.
     23. Phial of port wine.
     24. Coins.
     The corner stone consisted of a polished stone of the same character of stone, of which the building is composed, 2 feet 8 inches square, with the following inscription on it: "In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

St. Matthew's Cathedral
"Other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ." -- 1 Corinthians 3,2.

     This stone was raised by means of a derrick and placed on the stone in which the tin box had been inserted.
     The corner stone of the old cathedral, which was of marble, was placed in the wall.

- December 22, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
- o o o -



Chicago Parishioners Bid Him Godspeed
to Dallas.

     A Chicago telegram, dated Friday night, says: An audience even larger than that which witnessed the consecration of Rt. Rev. Edward J. Dunne, the new bishop of the see of Dallas, Tex., assembled in All Saint's church to-night to bid farewell and godspeed to the distinguished prelate, who will leave this city on the 15th instant for his new field of labor. The parishioners and other friends, through Chairman Daniel Corkery, presented Father Dunne with an engraved address accompanied by a purse of $4000.
     Addresses were delivered by Postmaster Washington Hesing, Hon. Peter Kiolbasa, the leading Polish Catholic of Chicago, and by Rev. Father McShane and others. Corkery said: "Church, schools and residences stand as your monuments. But, greater than these, are these children you have educated, the wayward you have reclaimed, the faltering ones strengthened, the living who speak only feebly their attachment and the sweet memory of departed souls guided by you into eternal rest."
     The bishop responded in an address of much feeling and eloquence and spoke of the hopeful future of the great state which is to be his new home.

- January 6, 1894, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 1-2.
- o o o -





He Founded the Texas Baptist and Her-
ald, Baptist Historical Magazine
and Did Much Other Active
Work for His Church.

     Rev. J. B. Link, who died at his home near Austin yesterday, had been a prominent leader in the Baptist denomination in this state for twenty-eight years.


     Dr. Link was born in Virginia in 1825, and on reaching his majority, he went to Missouri. For several year prior to the war, he was connected with the William Jewel college, at Liberty, in that state. From the beginning to the close of the war, he was a chaplain on the Confederate side.
     At the end of the war, he was sent by the Southern Baptist convention as a missionary to Texas. In the prosecution of his work here, he founded the Texas Baptist-Herald at Houston in 1866. In 1883, he removed his paper to Austin, and about a year later, again pulled up stakes and took his printing establishment to Waco. In 1886, he sold out to Dr. Hayden, who consolidated the paper with the Texas Baptist, under the name of the Baptist-Herald, which is still being conducted by Dr. Hayden at Dallas.
     From 1879 to 1882 or 1883, Dr. Link was the North Texas agent of the Texas Baptist Educational society. During this period, he made Dallas his headquarters, and edited his paper from this point. For about three years after selling his paper, Dr. Link did field work for the hyphenated paper.
     In 1891, he began at Austin, the publication of the Baptist Historical Magazine, and completed two volumes of the paper, which constitute a valuable history of the Baptist church in Texas.
     For several years, preceding his death, Dr. Link lived near Austin, acting as pastor of one or more country churches, editing his magazine and conducting a Jersey dairy farm.
     Dr. Link was an indefatigable worker and took a leading part in all Baptist work. He enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his church.
     When Dr. Link came to Dallas in 1879, he presented his letter for membership in the First Baptist church. R. C. Buckner was, at that time, editor of the Texas Baptist. He and Dr. Link had been vilifying each other through the columns of their papers, after the fashion of old time rival political editors, and Dr. Buckner objected to the admission of his rival editor to the membership of the church. The church, however, admitted him. Dr. Buckner then got up a "memorial" with the signatures of fifty-nine members of the church attached to it. This memorial set forth that the church had done very wrong in admitting Dr. Link to fellowship, and that that action was thereby rescinded, thus setting up the claim that the fifty-nine members constituted the First Baptist church. There were, however, some three hundred other members who took issue with Dr. Buckner and refused to turn Dr. Link out. Dr. Buckner, with his flock of fifty-nine, withdrew, setting up a tabernacle of their own in a little church on the corner of Live Oak and Harwood streets, but in the course of four or five years, the whole business of them, including Dr. Buckner, came back into the fold.

- January 11, 1894, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 4-5.
- o o o -



Installed as the Official Head of
the Diocese.






Impressive Services at the Church of the
Sacred Heart -- Reception and
Banquet in the Convent

Special to the TIMES HERALD.
ORT WORTH, Tex.., Jan. 17. - The new Catholic bishop of the diocese of Dallas, the Right Rev. Edward J. Dunne, and his escort of Chicago priests, arrived here in a special car over the Rock Island railroad at 7:35 this morning. The party was met by a delegation of Fort Worth Catholics, taken in carriages and driven to the Union Depot hotel, where they were breakfasted, after which they were driven over the city and shown the principal places of interest.


     The local reception committee consisted of Father Deyo, Jerre A. Lewis, J. C. McCarthy, M. T. Hurley, John McNamara and Judge Lynch, accompanied by all the parishioners of St. Patrick's church.
     Delegations were present from Waco and Weatherford, and all extended Bishop Dunne a cordial welcome to his new field of labor.
     The escort of Chicago priests was made up of Fathers Darney, Telley, Maloney, Clancey, O'Gara, Farray, Dunne ( a brother of the bishop), McDonnell, Campbell, Galligan, Tinan, Cartan, Hayes, McGuire, McShane, Spillard, Hogan, Murray and Kelley. Layman P. bush, of Bishop Dunne's old Chicago parish, was also in the party.
     Bishop Brennan and his party were called on about 9 o'clock by the following delegation from Dallas, who arrive din a special car over the Texas and Pacific road, for the express purpose of conducting the new bishop to the home of the diocese in Dallas: James Moroney, Kane Shields, Tom Barry, Edward Gannon, George Raull, W. J. Moroney, T. J. Murnane, P. J. Talty, M. Coerver and John Boyd.
     No speeches of welcome were made here by the members of the Dallas delegation, that feature being reserved for the installation ceremonies at Dallas.
     The special palace coach, which had conveyed the bishop's party from Chicago, furnished by the Pullman company, and also the special car from Dallas, were attached to the regular eastbound Texas and Pacific train. At 10:30, Bishop Dunne and his escort and welcoming delegation departed for Dallas. The ceremonies here were very simple, in conformity with the previously expressed wishes of Bishop Dunne.

Arrival in Dallas.

     The Right Rev. E. J. Dunne, the new Catholic bishop of the diocese of Dallas, arrived here at noon to-day, in a special coach from Chicago via the Rock Island and Texas and Pacific railroads, accompanied by nineteen priests from Chicago.
     Bishop Dune was met at Fort Worth by the following committee of the laity from Dallas; James Moroney, Kane Shields, Tom Barry, George Raull, Edward Gannon, W. J. Moroney, P. J. Talty, T. J. Murnane, M. Colver and John Boyd.
     The following reception committee with carriages met the Bishop at the brick depot and escorted him to the pastor's residence on North Ervay street: P. W. Linskie, Tom King and M. Crowley.
     The following priests from diocese are present at the installation celebration:
     Father Barbier, of Texarkana; Fathers Joseph and Louis Granger, of Jefferson and Marshall respectively, Father Lehane of Clarksville; Father Hartnette, of Ennis; Father Pujos, of St. Paul, Collin county, Father Reagan, of Cleburne; Father T. K. Crowley, of Denison; Father P. J;. Donahue, of Sherman; Father Huechemer, of Tyler; Father Guyot, of Fort worth; Father Bardenhewer, of Pilot Point; Father Bonaventura, O. S. B., of Munster; Father Weber of Munster.
     The installation services took place in the Church of the Sacred Heart, on Bryan street. The address of welcome on the part of the priesthood was delivered by Father Martiniere; that on the part of the laity by Mr. James Moroney, and Freddy Kane appeared in behalf of the children.
     Bishop Dunne responded to the addresses of welcome in a well-worded speech, after which the pontifical benediction was pronounced.
     After the installation services, a reception and banquet were given in the old convent building on Masten street, where the Bishop met and formed the acquaintance of the priesthood of the diocese and the laity of Dallas.

- January 17, 1894, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 4-5.
- o o o -


How Thirty Baptist Converts Had
Their Pictures Taken.

     There was a baptizing in White Rock creek, in the McComas neighborhood, yesterday. Thirty persons were baptized. But, before they were put under, they stood waist deep in the water and had their picture taken in a group, the minister making one of the group.

- August 25, 1894, The Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 4.
- o o o -



A Successful Series at the Free Methodist

     The services at the little Free Methodist church, on the corner of Payne and McKinnon streets, conducted by Bishop Burton R. Jones, for the past few nights, have been seasons of great blessing to all who have attended them. The sacramental service yesterday at 11 a. m., and love feast at 3 p. m., were also "times of refreshing." But, the best service was held last night. After the very able discourse by the bishop, an invitation was given those who were unsaved to kneel at the altar, to which many responded, and an old-time Methodist revival service followed, in which a good number professed to finding salvation. The increased congregations necessitate the building of a new church, which, it is hoped, will soon be in progress, and, in which, the co-operation of friends is solicited.

- December 16, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 3.
- o o o -

Added June 14, 2004:
Real Estate Transfers.

     The following real estate transfers were recorded yesterday:

     D. C. Britain to A. J. Lucas et al., deacons of New Providence Baptist church, and their successors in office, 1 acre of the S. P. Montgomery survey, $1.

- January 12, 1896, The Dallas Morning News, p. 20, col. 4.
- o o o -





Enthusiastic Speeches Made and $7000
Subscribed as a Starter--The
Cathedral Will Be Built.

     In response to a call issued to the Catholics of Dallas, the Sacred Heart church on Bryan street was well filled last night. The purpose of the meeting was to take some action looking toward the erection of a magnificent cathedral in this city. In addition to the Catholics, several protestants were also present. The Right Reverend Bishop Dunne, bishop of the northern diocese of Texas, presided, assisted by the Reverend Father Blum.
     The bishop opened the proceedings with the following remarks:
     "I feel that I have reason to congratulated myself and Father Blum on this magnificent gathering. I feel that there is scarcely any purpose in our going into any exposition of the object of this gathering. Wherever I have gone throughout northern Texas during the past two years that I have been amongst you, one of the matters that always seemed to take up people's thoughts in their interviews with me, was: 'when are you going to have a cathedral at Dallas?' That same thought has been strong in the minds of our people here in the city and by many of the citizens of other churches. Then, I was unable to give an answer to that important question. I was conscious of the enormous work that you had done during the past few years, indicating an interest and generosity that has not been surpassed, I am sure (if it has been rivaled), by any of our people throughout the country, however grand may be the temples that give living expression to their generosity, for here there was an ever-open chasm, taking up every cent that could be gathered by the same self-sacrificing economy of our pastor and our greatest generosity. We can not provide against misfortune. Our very best efforts are sometimes thwarted; thwarted in spite of all human foresight, and although there appeared at one time to be grand promises, the misfortunes of the time came upon all places, and to such an extent, I learn, in this city, that many, greeting the rising sun in the morning knew not whether it would set upon them prosperous or paupers. Now, however, I am able to make a statement to you (through Father Blum's energy, it has been the success that it has); we are prepared to commence the construction of the cathedral if the Catholics of Dallas say they will give us reasonable support. The debt of the parish has been so arranged that it is distributed over twenty years to come at an interest of 5 per cent per years, so that when this new church is completed there will not be the slightest difficulty of meeting this debt from the ordinary resources of the parish. But, now we are in an emergency, and to succeed, we must all put our hands down into our pockets and furnish the means to put up this structure. One double service has this venerable building in which we are here gathered done, but it is indicating to the great masses to-day, as well as those of our religious faith, the fact that we ought to have a different and better place for divine service, and our church. We have grown with the city; we have helped toward its development. If there be substantial buildings devoted to business and to habitation, buildings of beauty of architecture, our people have done their share toward directing upon Dallas, the name of 'the thriving young metropolitan city of Texas' that it bears throughout the country, and, if we have done much in that direction, there is nothing evident of what we have done in a religious direction. Al other peoples have fine religious edifices, an expression of their generosity to religion, and it remains for us to put ourselves on an equality with these. We ought to be able to do it, and I hope we will be able. And, as I said at first, this is the opportunity. What I propose is this: If you gentlemen will give us $25,000 in two years' time, or thereabouts, we will be prepared to enter under our building's roof. I want to hear what you have to say about it; what you would suggest, and any other things connected with it, if you please. And, if you gentlemen have any suggestions to make, or if there be any that I can give you, I will be glad to hear the one or give the other. If you think we can raise that amount of money in two years, our pathway, I venture to say, is clear."
     A gentleman asked how much it would cost to complete this structure, furnishings, etc., and all. Bishop Dunne replied that $35,000 would put up a fine structure, with a seating capacity of between 900 and 1000. If they saw any way of raising the money, the foundation will be laid before the fall.
     Upon a suggestion by Mr. Kerrigan, the bishop called upon the gentlemen present by name to voice their sentiments in regard to the matter.
     Mr. James Moroney said: "The main view in my mind this evening, is that we certainly ought to build a church. It is a matter of importance to us as Catholics; it is a matter of importance to us as citizens of Dallas. I am firmly convinced that a good church in one of the best dioceses will be the means of aiding Dallas considerably. From the standpoint of a Catholic, I think it is our duty to go in and raise the money to build this cathedral. From my past experience with the church here, we have had grave misfortunes and troubles. We have, fortunately, gone through them in, I think, considering the circumstances, remarkably good shape, and in view of what we have done, and in view of the present condition of the diocese, and of the city of Dallas, I would not hesitate a minute to say that I think the Catholics of Dallas can raise $35,000 in two years. We can all save a little, the laboring man can save a little, the salaried man and the merchant can save some, and save some every month, and, if when we tried to build a cathedral before in six months' time, we raised $7500, when the parish was not as strong as it is now, we ought certainly to raise $25,000 in two years."
     Mr. T. F. McEnnis said that Mr. Moroney had voiced his sentiments. He agreed with him that this would be of great benefit to the city.
     Mr. W. J. Moroney believed that they were in a position to make a beginning. They had the ground--had made the investment and they couldn't entertain any other view, except to go ahead "Let all put their shoulders to the wheel," he said. "If all do the best they can, we can put up, not a $35,000 church, but a $75,000 church. In fact, I feel rather chagrined at the idea of a $25,000 church." This last sentence was greeted by a hearty clapping of hands.
     Mr. T. F. McEnnis stated that Mr. J. C. O'Connor had told him to assure the members that he would do his part.
     Father Blum said: "This church will have a seating capacity of not less than 900, and you know that is quite a big structure. It will be of the Gothic-Italian style of the thirteenth century or thereabouts--if your minds go back to that style of architecture. (Laughter.) While not so expensive, it will be as fine a church as there is in the state of Texas."
     Mr. E. J. Gannon made a short talk, the tenor of which, was very favorable to the enterprise.
     Mr. M. H. Mahana said: "I never knew Catholics to make a failure when they tried. I have lived in several parishes and the greatest failure they have made was by waiting. A great many people would visit our church if they could get a seat. This is the important time." He assured the bishop he was more than willing to do his share.
     This assurance was also joined in heartily by Messrs. E. W. Doolittle, W. M. O'Leary, Kane Shields, W. A. Rogers and H. S. Simpson.
     They were followed by Mr. John J. Conroy, who said they didn't want a $25,000 church, and as for himself, he wanted a church that would cost $175,000, if they could get it. He suggested that a committee of three be appointed to canvass each ward in the city and also to collect the monthly donations.
     Bishop Dunne here suggested that he thought it would be best to do something right then in order to start the project.
     As the bishop sat down, Mr. James Moroney jumped to his feet, and agreeing with the reverend gentleman, asked that all those who would contribute to the fund to stand up. Every one stood up. He then volunteered to be one of five to subscribe $1500 to the church, payable in two years.
This was met with cries of approval and the clapping of hands.
     After some more discussion on this matter, each one present wrote the amount he would agree to pay during the next two years on a slip of paper and dropped it into the basket as it was passed around by Father Blum. The amount so subscribed amounted to $7000. This brought forth enthusiasm plaudits from the congregation. Two gentlemen subscribed $2500, one giving $1000 and the other $1500.
     Father Blum volunteered to do all the collecting if he could get a little assistance.
     Bishop Dunne expressed his appreciation of the work done at the meeting, and then led in prayer, at its conculsion, dismissing the congregation with his thanks.
     Regarding this project, the bishop said at the conclusion of the meeting last night:
     "We expect to lay the foundation, at least, this year. The material will be of stone, with a tile roof. The form will be Gothic in a Greek cross form--a short nave and a long transept. Everything is most satisfactory. The people were enthusiastic and determined to have a church that will be a credit to the city of Dallas, as well as to themselves. The probable cost will be $60,000 or $70,000."
     From the general tenor of the conversation of the members, it was plainly seen that the determination was to make the cathedral one of the finest church structures in the state.

- April 25, 1896, Dallas Morning News, p. 3, col. 4-5.
- o o o -


Union Baptist Church at Carrollton to
Celebrate Its Semi-Centennial.

     The oldest Baptist church, it is claimed, in Dallas county, is at Carrollton. It is known as Union church and the congregation will celebrate its semi-centennial on May 8, 9 and 10. All ministers who have been pastors of the church are invited to participate.

- May 8, 1896, Dallas Morning News, p. 10, col. 4.
- o o o -



They are Now in Camp in Oak Cliff
Those Present.

     The Spiritualist camp meeting at Oak Cliff park opened yesterday with a large attendance of joyous spiritualists from many points. The hall was most artistically decorated by some of the willing ladies, which adds much to its attractiveness.
     The following is a list of the campers who have arrived up to date: Capt. A. Whiting and family, of Ennis; Mrs. M. Thedford, of Texarkana; D. G. Hinkley and family, of Dallas; Mrs. J. Johnson, son and daughter, of Dallas; Mrs. Jennie Hurlburt, of Fort Worth; Mrs. L. A. Kirby, of Fort Worth; Col. J. L. Jackson, Weatherford,; Mrs. Geo. Alexander and daughter and Mrs. John Bielefeldt, daughter and son, of Ennis; Mr. and Mrs. Prentis, of Grapevine; W. W. and S. W. Aber, of Ennis; Mrs. C. M. Hinesdale, of Fort Worth; Edward Tucker, of Midlothian; Hugh Tucker, Oscar Husted and Carl Donley, of Midlothian; E. J. and W. A. Willis, of Mansfield; Miss Ellen T. Thomas, of Dallas; R. L. Willis, of Mansfield; H. D. tucker, of Weatherford; Fred Bartholomew, of Midlothian; Miss Stella D. Carothers, of Lampasas; Mrs. Tillie U. Reylonds, of Troy, N. Y.; Irwin Pughtal, of Ennis; Dr. L. V. Vandike, of San Antonio; A. P. Moor, of Chicago; Albert Rhine, of McKinney.
     Programme for Sunday: Opening address 10 a. m. by Mrs. Carrie M. Hinsdalte; address, 3 p. m., by Mrs. Tillie U. Reylonds; services at 8 p. m. Speaker to be selected.

- September 5, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 3.
- o o o -


     The Oak Cliff Baptist church will meet Tuesday night, Dec. 21st, 1897, at the corner of Eleventh street and Lancaster avenue, at Oliver hall, for the purpose of completing their organization. The following well known ministers will participate: Dr. J. B. Gambrell, superintendent missions; J. B. Riddle, general missionary; J. M. Robertson, Superintendent Bible work; G. W. Truett, pastor First church; T. M. McDonnell, pastor Second church; H. C. Gleiss, pastor German church; T. J. Waine, pastor Lancaster church; Geo. W. Baines, Cleburne; Lucius Robertson, Ardmore, I. T., and quite a number of prominent deacons and laymen. An opportunity will be given for any who may desire to join, and a cordial invitation is extended to all to attend this official meeting.

- December 19, 1897, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 4.
- o o o -


    "Apparitions" will be the subject of a discourse by Rev. R. C. Travers to-night at 8 o'clock at the First Spiritualist church, corner Crutchfield and Fisher lane. After the speaking, thre will be a materializing service. Seats free.

- June 5, 1898, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 5.
- o o o -




     The new Second Presbyterian church will be dedicated this afternoon at 3:30 o'clock by the pastor, and appropriate and impressive services have been arranged. There will be no preaching in the church at 11 o'clock this morning, nor at 8 o'clock tonight, both services having been suspended on account of the dedicatory service. The Senior Christian Endeavor Society will hold the usual Sunday service immediately at the close of the dedication service. Topic: "John Elliot, and Missions Among the Indians."

History of the Church.
     The Second Presbyterian church of Dallas was organized by the Presbytery of Trinity, Jan. 30, 1883, with eleven members. Andrew B. Sheets was elected an elder and Wm. M. Robinson was elected a deacon at that time, and have continued faithfully in officer ever since. Other charter members, who are still in the church, are L. R. Wright, a deacon up to 1891 and an elder since that date; Mrs. Wm. M. Robinson and Miss Jennie B. Wright. The Sunday school was organized Feb. 2, 1883, with eleven members, and has kept open house twelve months in the year ever since, the present enrollment showing nearly two hundred names.
     The preliminary work leading up to the organization was done by Rev. Henry S. Little, D. D., who was, at that time, and continues to serve the synod of Texas as a superintendent of missions. For several months after the organization, Dr. Little supplied the pulpit, preaching in such rooms or halls as could be secured until the services of Rev. David Clark, as stated supply were secured. Rev. Clark resigned in December, 1885, but continued to serve the church until March 10, 1886, when the late Rev. Warner B. Riggs, who had been unanimously called as pastor, took charge of the work. This proved a most happy and delightful union of pastor and people, which continued until March 2, 1905, when Mr. Riggs was taken home to his crown and reward. Rev. David Clark died recently in St. Louis.

Ladies Aid Society.
     A Ladies' Aid society was organized March 1, 1883, and a Woman's Missionary society, Jan. 10, 1884. In June, 1883, a lot was purchased, and a house of worship was erected, the board of church erection, headquarters in New York City, assisting with $1000. The church, which was located on Wood street, near Veal street, was dedicated, Oct. 7, 1883. Later on, the lot on the corner of Harwood and Wood streets was purchased and the building moved to that location, where the congregation continued to worship until it was decided to accept the offer of the First Methodist church, South, to purchase the property.
     April 1, 1887, the enrollment of the church showed a membership of only 58 members, every one of whom earned his bread by the sweat of his brow, but they took a decided step forward and gladdened the hearts of the members of the board of church erection by resolving not to ask the board for further aid.
     In October, 1889, the Bethany Mission Sunday school was organized, and out of this effort, the Bethany Presbyterian church was organized, Feb. 28, 1892. In 1890, a mission Sunday school was organized in Exposition Park, in the eastern part of the city, and out of this effort, the Exposition Park Presbyterian church was organized in March, 1891. At different times, mission Sunday schools have been started in other parts of the city, which prospered for a time, but were given up when churches of other denominations were built in the neighborhood.
     For many years, the congregation struggled under the burden of a $5000 debt, incurred by assisting their missions, and by increasing the size of their own church building. Finally, by a untied and powerful effort in 1902, this debt was paid in full.

New Church Plans.
     In 1903, the necessity of a new church building was uppermost in the minds of all in order to keep pace with the growth of our city, and in 1904, it was decided to build. A new location was selected in the residence portion of the city, and in October, the cornerstone of the present edifice was laid with appropriate ceremonies, members of the Synod of Texas, then in session in this city, participating.
     It had been planned to occupy the lecture room of the new church on the first Sunday in March, but God had other plans, and the members of the church were called to attend the funeral of their pastor on that day, which it was thought more appropriate to hold in the old church where he had preached for nineteen years, and the funeral of Rev. Warner B. Riggs was the last service held by this congregation in the old building on the corner of Harwood and Wood streets.
     In February, 1905, the services of Rev. Wm. Gordon Kelry were engaged for a period of three months, and Rev. Kelry preached the first sermon in the lecture room of the new church on the second Sabbath of March. The main auditorium room was completed in June, but the congregation was unable to unite on a pastor until the 20th of September, when a unanimous call was extended to Rev. Frank J. Mundy, D. D., then pastor of the Jefferson Park Presbyterian church of Chicago. Dr. Mundy accepted the call and commenced his labors in this city the first Sunday in November, and was installed as pastor by the Presbytery of Trinity in December.

- June 24, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, Sec. II, p. 7, col. 3-4.
- o o o -



Was Appointed Pastor of The First
Methodist Church in Dallas.



Bishop Key Names Rev. H. A. Bour-
land Who Was the Pastor
in 1878.

     Bishop Key, of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, has appointed Rev. H. A. Bourland past of the First Methodist church of Dallas to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Rev. John M. Moore, who goes to Nashville, in the near future to become managing editor of the Nashville Christian Advocate, the official organ of the Methodist Episcopal church, South.
     Rev. Dr. Bourland is probably one of the best known Methodist ministers in the Texas conference, and he comes back to the First church after many years absence. He was pastor from 1878 to 1882, when the edifice was located at the corner of Lamar and Commerce streets, the present site of the Gaston building.
     Until four years ago, Rev. Mr. Bourland was in the Northwest Texas conference, and it is stated by prominent members of the church, that he was instrumental to a great extend, in the rapid growth of that conference.

Dr. Moore's Plans.
     Rev. John M. Moore, who will become managing editor of the Nashville Christian Advocate, expects to leave Dallas, July 16, if his present plans are not disarranged.

- June 26, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 12, col. 1 .
- o o o -

Local Courts.
Forty-Fourth District Court.

     L. L. Brown, Pink Smith, O. B. Claiborne and Hattie Shropshire suing in their behalf and for Mount Rose Baptist church vs. J. G. Gilmore, to establish title in church and members thereof, judgment by default with writ of inquiry.

- October 9, 1907, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 11, col. 6-7.
- o o o -



Rev. J. H. Moore, of Oklahoma City, Is
New Pastor of McKinney Avenue
Baptist Church.

     Taking his text from the Greek words, "Hen-de," meaning "one thing," Rev. J. H. Moore preached his first sermon as pastor of the McKinney Avenue Baptist church yesterday. Mr. Moore came here from Oklahoma City.
     The Apostle Paul expressed his conception of the Christian life in the following sentence, taken from the third chapter of the Philippines; "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you," Dr. Moore said in part.
     "The Christian life is the only realm where all of a man's talents may be developed and employed. In it, is offered a science of life and an art of living. St. Paul was the master Christian. Paul had sounded the depths, and he knew the mission and methods of Christ, yet he said the true conception of life is in one thing, that nothing matters if a Christian has one guiding star. The man who follows this will follow Paul in three things."

- November 6, 1911, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 4.
- o o o -


     A new congregation was organized in Dallas Sunday when local Moravians and Bohemians met at the home of Rev. Charles A. Chval and organized the First Moravian-Bohemian Presbyterian Church of John Huss.
     Dr. Bernard Rice, superintendent of the board of publication of the synod of Texas, was present and made an address. George Kovar was elected and ordained elder.

- February 20, 1918, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 2.
- o o o -


     How, in more than half a century, the Methodist denomination in Dallas has grown from about fifteen persons to more than 10,000, and how the first church, a building sixteen by sixteen feet, has been replaced by fifteen magnificent structures, are comparisons which will feature the ceremonies Saturday afternoon at the laying of the cornerstone of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Ross avenue and Harwood street.
     Into the cornerstone, among other things, will be placed a handful of the material of the old First Methodist church, which was razed a few years ago.
     It was fifty-three years and one day ago that the Lamar Street Methodist church was dedicated. After its destruction by fire, a few years later, the building at Prather and Commerce streets was erected.
     Ceremonies Saturday will begin at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Officials of the Grand Lodge of the Masonic order will assist in the program. Grand Master A. L. Randell will be in charge. Commissioner Louis Blaylock, chairman of the board of directors, and a member of the building committee, will be master of ceremonies. Among the speakers at the event will be Bishop W. N. Ainsworth and S. H. C. Burgin, secretary of the board of extension of the church.

- October 25, 1921, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 9, col. 4.
- o o o -

Pleasant View Church
Organized in 1857 to
Observe Anniversary

     The Pleasant View Baptist Church at Fisher, northeast of the Dallas city limits, will observe its seventy-fourth anniversary next Sunday, June 21, it is announced by John H. Cullom, who is in charge of publicity for the reunion.
     This church was organized in 1857, and for several years, has observed its anniversary with an all-day program.
     The day's activities will begin at 10 o'clock, with the Sunday school session, followed at 11:30 by a sermon to be delivered by the Rev. H. E. Rockett, a former pastor. At 12:30, a basket dinner will be spread at the church. At 2 o'clock, the congregation will reassemble for singing and reminiscent talks, and a reading by Mrs. Lena Louise Day, daughter of Mrs. W. H. Fisher, the church secretary.

- June 14, 1931, The Dallas Morning News, Section I, p. 6, col. 2.
- o o o -


 Eighty-Four-Year-Old Church
to Celebrate Anniversary

Celebration of the date eighty-four years ago, when a little band of people met in the old wooden Dallas County courthouse, present-day members of the Pleasant View Baptist Church will have a reunion next Sunday at its location of the last several decades at the Fisher community, northeast of Dallas. Miss Lena Louise Day (pictured), niece of Mrs. W. H. Fisher, and a descendant of one of the pioneer families of the community, will be on the program. The congregation was organized in 1847, but its first records burned when fire destroyed the old courthouse. Its records, kept now by Mrs. Fisher, trace its history back nearly three-quarters of a century, however, through the period when it was located in the midst of the area where the Belmont residential section of Dallas has been built up. Before the basket dinner at noon, and afterward as well, the present and some past members will meet for a sermon, reminiscent talks and a singing fest.

- June 18, 1931, The Dallas Morning News, Section II, p. 7, col. 3-5.
- o o o -


Church to Hold
87th Birthday

     The Pleasant View Baptist Church, on Mocking Bird lane, just northeast of the city limits, will celebrate its eighty-seventh birthday anniversary Sunday.
     The church was founded in 1847.
     The service will begin at 10 a. m., with the Sunday school session, followed at 11 a. m. by a special sermon by the pastor, the Rev. Taylor Preston.
     A lunch will be served at 12:30 p. m. under a tend adjoining the church. In the afternoon, an old-time singsong will be conducted, interspersed with reminiscent talks by members and visitors.
     Mrs. Hampton Fisher, church secretary, is in charge of arrangements.

- June 10, 1934, The Dallas Morning News , Sec. I, p. 13, col. 2.
- o o o -


Museum Gets Picture
Of Catholics' Bishop
First Serving Dallas


     The only known picture or photograph of the late Bishop Brennan, first bishop of the Catholic diocese of Dallas, has been found and a copy made for local historical purposes, it was announced Saturday. The Rev. Joseph G. Donohoe, Sherman, diocesan historian, secretary of the Texas Knights of Columbus historical commission, located the picture among relatives of the prelate in Pennsylvania. Bishop Brennan took charge of diocesan affairs here in 1892, when the Dallas diocese was established. He remained here about two years and was then transferred to Newfoundland. He was succeeded by Bishop Dunne.

- June 17, 1934, The Dallas Morning News,
Sec. I, p. 13, col. 4.
- o o o -