The Rockwall Road.
has been under discussion for a long time, and it is plain to
be seen that it is a matter of great importance to this city
especially. The case, as it stands now, is that many of the people
of Rockwall and Hunt counties, who would, if allowed half a chance,
come to Dallas, are at present, forced to go to Terrell. The
reason of this is obvious. The people of Rockwall and some of
the merchants of Dallas bought and paid for a free iron bridge,
which has been placed over the East Fork of the Trinity. The
citizens of Rockwall then went to work and constructed a fine
road, not only to the bridge, but beyond it to the county line.
All that was left to be done, then, was for the citizens of Dallas
county to meet them with a good road at the county line. This
has been neglected greatly to the detriment of our merchants
here, who are all anxious to obtain the trade from that county,
but are debarred, as the county commissioners have, so far, failed
to have the road opened to the bridge. The consequence is that
the farmers of that section are obliged to make a detour of eight
or nine miles to get to Dallas; in preference to doing this,
they go to Terrell and buy their goods. The trade of Dallas suffers
thereby. Our reporter visited some of the county officials yesterday,
and learned from them, that at the last session of the commissioner's
court, two overseers had been appointed to see that the road
to the Rockwall bridge be opened. They may be at work now; we
sincerely hope they are. Our people, however, should not rest
until they are satisfied that the road will be opened at once,
and urge the matter upon the commissioners until the matter is
attended to. Dallas should not let an opportunity to obtain the
trade of these counties slip through culpable negligence.
- July 7, 1877, Dallas
Weekly Herald, p. 2[?], col. 3.
- o o o -
Working on Public
Macadamize Kent's Road Bridge.
commissioners' court in regular session to-day, with Commissioner
Enoch Strait presiding, acted on petitions changing and opening
roads as follows:
J. R. Caldwell and others for a
change in the Mesquite and Long creek road. Granted.
John Chenault and others, for a
second class road, beginning at the intersection of the Dallas
and Greenville road with the northeast line of the Jno. Hyde
survey and terminating at the town of Reinhardt. Ed Walton, John
Foss, John Daniels and John Hart were appointed a jury of review.
Reports of juries of review were
adopted, opening roads as follows:
Bennett's schoolhouse and Bivens' Prairie road.
Dallas and Dunnville [Duncanville?],
The report of the jury making a
change in the Dallas and Grange Hall road was recommitted for
The report on the C. D. White,
third-class road, was adopted.
A petition has been filed asking
that the road running southeasterly from Dallas, and known as
the Kent's bridge road, be widened, graded and graveled. Dallas
subscribers contribute to the fund for this improvement as follows:
H. C. Clark, $360 cash and $350 in gravel;
- November 11, 1889,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 2.
Simpson & Huffman, $107;
John W. Taylor, $100;
H. Harris, $500;
O. P. Bowser (provisional), $250;
J. W. Barton (provisional), $40.
Other amounts have been subscribed as follows:
E. C. Pemberton, $500;
E. B. Spillman, $100;
John Hicks, $100;
J. T. Conner, $100;
M. A. Umphress, $50;
R. Bruton, $25;
C. J. Markham, $25;
S. D. Scott, $25;
J. E. Gill, $25;
Harry Boswell, $25;
T. W. Harrington, $25;
J. N. Bethurum, $25;
M. Mansson, $25;
J. W. Bethurum, $25;
A. P. Victor, $25;
W. A. Watson, $25;
Preston L. Markham, $20;
J. R. Midgings, $10;
S. H. Pruitt, $10;
J. H. Boothe, $10;
B. F. Elam, $10;
A. M. Russell, $10;
J. Davidson, $10;
D. Onestrilli, $10;
M. M. Farmer, $10;
J. P. Potter, $10;
J. A. Cullom, $10;
Johnny Johnson, $10;
Jeff Bruton, $5;
J. D. Miller, $5;
W. C. Elam, $5;
Thos. F. Collier, $5;
P. L. Steuzlin, $5;
M. T. Conner, $5;
Levi Horton, $5;
W. H. Cundiff, $5;
J. F. Bailey, $5;
H. H. Bennett, $5;
W. M. Humphreys, $5;
T. D. Cokey, $5;
J. A. Douckey, $5;
T. J. Moody, $5;
J. F. Harris, $5;
G. T. Pruitt, $5;
R. C. Elam, $5;
Sam Sullivan, $5;
Joshua Jackson, $5;
O. P. Dove, $5;
E. E. Gorset, $5;
J. J. Dawdy, $5;
W. S. Freeman, $5;
T. Cellenfels, $5;
F. Ebert, $5;
R. P. Hull, $5;
E. C. Sweet, $5;
J. N. Robinson, $5;
John Rosswat, $5;
E. Weber, $5;
M. C. Glenis, $5;
A. J. Sullivan, $5;
J. H. Sullivan, $5;
J. L. Fly, $5;
D. L. Bolland, $5;
E. C. Joyce, $5;
M. E. Joyce, $5;
C. C. Hawthorn, $5;
T. A. Andrews, $5;
J. A. Crawford, $5;
A. Rockhold, $5;
E. C. Joyce, Sr., $5;
D. C. Landis, $5.
W. T. Moore, $2.50;
H. B. Cox, $2.50;
J. W. Gross, $2.50;
J. A. Campbell, $2.50;
H. H. Smith, $2.50.
Farmers in other sections of the
county might adopt this plan and reap a good profit from their
- o o o -
Beef Six Cents and
Flour Two Dol-
lars Per Hundred.
afternoon, the county commissioners resumed proceedings as follows:
- November 12, 1889,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 3.
The report of the jury opening
the Fain and Harris road was adopted. Mason P. Hays, who claimed
damages which were not assessed by the jury, gave notice of appeal.
The report of the jury on the second
class road to be known as the Duncan and Wheatland road, was
rejected on account of an irregularity in the way it was made
out. Damages were claimed as follows: A. E. McGahey, $50; R.
A. Simpson, $70; J. Bell, $150; B. H. Benton, $200; H. R. Daniels,
The petition of J. D. Stratton
and others for a change in the Dallas & McKinney road about
the town of Richardson was granted.
The petition of J. W. Broadhurst
and others for a change in the Letot and Carrollton road was
referred to a jury of review composed of W. G. Bryan, J. D. Marsh,
J. E. Beecharman, G. L. Ford and M. Johnson.
- o o o -
Consider an Important Pro-
Quinlan, of the Houston & Texas Central railway, met a number
of property owners abutting the road north of the union depot
in the mayor's office this morning. The object of the meeting
was to consider a proposition looking to a great improvement
through that end of the city by opening a new paved and graded
thoroughfare from the union depot to the city's northern limits.
He, Quinlan, said his company asked nothing from the city or
property owners. Their proposition, plainly stated, was to grade
their right of way to conform to the intersecting street grades,
lay a double track and macadamize between the rails of the double
track, if the abutting property owners would give sufficient
ground on each side of the road to make a street eighty feet
wide, pave twenty feet on each side and lay good sidewalks. The
object of the railroad company, in making the proposition, he
said, was simply to do away with the stream of travel continually
pouring down the railroad track, which is a continued source
of annoyance and litigation to the company, although open gaps
and numerous sign boards have been resorted to as a preventative
without result. With the thoroughfare opened, it would become
one of the main arteries of travel in the city, extending north
five or six miles; and, if the north end would take it up, he
thought the south end would soon follow and extend the street
from north to south across the city. It would convert a territory,
now practically valueless, into first-class wholesale and retail
property, second in value only to the property on Pacific avenue.
- December 8, 1890,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 7.
Spikes was Monroe Spikes, a black man, who, in 1893, owned a
one-story frame grocery store at the corner of San Jacinto and
the Central railroad crossing. The store was destroyed by fire
on October 29, 1893. By 1898, Spikes was a well-known barber
in Dallas; he and his family moved to Los Angeles, Calif., in
August of that year.
Sources: October 30,
1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 2;
Those present, saw at a glance,
the benefits to accrue to their property through such improvements,
and the property owners, at once, organized and created a committee
composed of Alderman Wm. Harris, Alderman Bustrin and M. Spikes*
to proceed with the work of getting the proposition clearly before
the property owners.
The committee issued a call for
all of the property owners abutting the road north of the union
depot to meet next Monday morning at 10 o'clock in the city hall
auditorium to give further consideration to the matter.
August 14, 1898, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
- o o o -
A DAY IN THE COURTS.
THE GRAND JURY'S
grand jury of Dallas county: There is nothing which concerns
the general interest and progress of all the people of the county
more than good public highways. It is of the utmost importance
that steps be taken by our commissioners court looking to the
accomplishment of this great result. While we have nothing to
criticize in the action of said court in its work heretofore,
yet we think the effort should now be made to macadamize at least
four of the principal thoroughfares of the county, one leading
northwardly, one eastwardly, one southwardly and one westwardly.. Work
should begin near the city and continue until the county line
is reached. The work should be done under the supervision of
an experienced and competent engineer. As citizens and taxpayers
from different portions of the county, we respectfully urge upon
the honorable commissioners' court the importance of beginning
this work without delay. The people are more interested in these
permanent improvements than anything else that could possibly
engage their officials' attention. We leave all the details consequent
upon the inauguration of this work with said court, but merely
suggest that in our opinion experienced and competent supervision
should be obtained.
- November 15, 1892,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3-4.
To Hon. R. E. Burke, Fourteenth
The above communication having
been referred to the grand jury for its consideration, we beg
to report that we do hereby earnestly approve the same and recommend
that the work on our public roads be made as suggested with as
little delay as possible. The necessities for good roads for
the accommodation and benefit of the surrounding agricultural
community, as well as our city trade, demands their construction
as soon as the work can be done. J. F. WARREN, Foreman.
- o o o -
January 20, 2004:
A THREE-MILE DRIVE.
Building of a Suburban
Boulevard on the
Commissioner Tom Fisher, who is just up from an attack of rheumatism,
says he has the county forces and wagons at work grading the
extension of Maple avenue, which, when completed to a point two
miles beyond the new hospital, will, in connection with the Oak
Lawn and Lemmon avenue roads, which intersect it, give a three-mile
drive, that can not be excelled anywhere. He says the public
are ignorant of the great improvements the county roads in the
vicinity of Dallas have undergone lately.
- June 7, 1894, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 4.
- o o o -
March 26, 2004:
NOTICE -- BRIDGE BUILDERS.
bids will be received by the Commissioners' Court of Dallas county
up to 12 o'clock p. mm, February 2, 1895, for building a bent
bridge over Ten-mile creek on the Dallas and Cedar Hill road
south of Duncanville, 100 feet long, 16 feet wide, piling to
be of cedar, 10 inches in diameter at small end; all material
and work to be first-class; each bidder to furnish plan and specifications
of the bridge he proposes to build. bond in double amount of
bid required and county having right to reject any and all bids.
- January 26, 1895,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 3.
- o o o -
March 27, 2004:
Dallas County to
Have More and Bet-
ter Highways and Bridges.
the Commissioners' Court let to J. C. Ward, the contract to build
a bridge across White Rock creek on the Dallas and Greenville
road. The contractor is to receive the timbers of the old bridge
and $210 in money for the work.
- January 29, 1895,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 1.
Next Saturday, the Commissioners
will let the contract for a bridge over Ten Mile. This will be
a 100-foot bent bridge, whereas, the White Rock bridge is to
be a span.
- o o o -
April 11, 2004:
THE OTHER SIDE OF
THE ROAD QUESTION.
Reviews the Sit-
uation and Mr. Huffman's Ideas.
To the Times-Herald:
- March 11, 1895, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 4-5.
I have noticed for several days,
a discussion of one side of what is called the road question
going on through the TIMES-HERALD, and have been an interested, though a silent
reader, of the same. It has seemed strange to me that not one
of the County Commissioners has been interviewed or asked to
write a line on this matter, which comes directly in the line
of their duty as officers of the county, elected by the people
to see that justice and equity is accorded to all parts of the
In reviewing this matter, I could,
perhaps, get it best before the minds of the people by answering
the article of Mr. Huffman in the TIMES-HERALD of the 7th inst. The "great mistake"
of the Twenty-first Legislature he refers to, I suppose, is this
provision: "The Commissioners Court shall see that the road
and bridge fund of their county is judiciously and equitably
expended on the roads and bridges of the county, and, as nearly
as the condition and necessity of the roads will permit, it shall
be expended in each County Commissioner's precinct, in proportion
to the amount collected in such precinct; and in expending money
in building permanent roads, the money shall first be used on
first or second-class roads, and on those which shall have the
right-of-way, furnished free of cost, to make as straight a road
as is practicable to obtain, and having the greatest bonus offered
by the citizens of money, labor or other property." Acts
1889, page 135, section 6.
It seems to me that the Legislature,
in making the exception clause, which leaves the expenditure
of the funds, to a certain extent, with the judgment of the Commissioners'
Court, foresaw just such a contingency as has arisen in this
county, and made a wise provision to insure the best interests
of all concerned.
Mr. Huffman says that district
No. 1 has thirteen air line roads penetrating the city of Dallas.
Now, I would respectfully ask him to name the thirteen roads,
rather than deal in glittering generalities. As a County Commissioner,
and also a business man of the city of Dallas, I will try to
deal farily with this question. What are the facts in the case?
To begin, there is not an air line
road, for any considerable distance, in Dallas county. The first
district, outside of the city, pays no more than any other of
the three districts in the county. It needs less work on its
roads and bridges than any one of the other districts, as its
general surface will show, to any one who will take the trouble
to examine it. It has had more work than any of the other districts.
Let us make a comparison between it and the fourth district.
The first has but one stream within its borders that rises to
the dignity of a creek, and for more than half its distance,
and that at the lower half, forms the boundary of the second
and is kept in order by the first and second, conjointly. The
fourth has Five-Mile, Mountain, Bear, Cottonwood, Hackberry and
Denton, all creeks of large proportions, besides several smaller
ones, and the West Fork of Trinity river, on which the city of
Fort Worth is depending for water transportation in the future.
The first has, all told, about
three miles of river bottom road; the fourth has twenty-eight.
The city of Dallas, which pays
the heavy tax that is claimed for the first district, is situated
almost at the extreme south end of the district and immediately
contiguous to the fourth, and within three miles of the second.
The first has not one foot of road leading west or southwest
from the city of Dallas, while the fourth has two great arteries,
which, every day in the year, pour their living stream into the
city. One half of the men living in Oak Cliff and West Dallas
are business men or workmen in the city and help to make her
wealth, and many of them are heavy tax-payers to both city and
county; still, Mr. Huffman would allow them no benefits in return.
Can Dallas afford to take the outlying
sections of Dallas county by the throat and strangle the life
out of their public road system, while Tarrant county is running
her good roads to the line, and Fort Worth, Grapevine, Waxahachie,
Forney and Rockwall are smiling upon them and holding their arms
wide open to receive their trade? As a business man, I would
answer, No! W. F. BARCUS.
Commissioner, District No. 4.
- o o o -
AND NO MORE.
SHARP CONTEST OF
They Are Putting
Up Bonuses and Employ-
ing Lawyers to Help Them Get the
Improvements in Their Re-
road law, which provides for the improvement by convict labor
of four roads, beginning at the city limits and extending to
the county lines in the direction of the four points of the compass,
has created quite a stir among the farmers on the various roads.
There are three roads running to the north, namely the Denton,
the McKinney and the Preston roads. The owners of the farms on
these respective roads have prepared big petitions to the Commissioners'
Court and are ready to back the same by liberal donations. Some
of them have employed lawyers to look after their interests,
and are otherwise showing that they mean business.
- May 30, 1895, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 1.
There is the same sharp competition
between the farms on the Lancaster and on the Beckley roads to
the south. While on the east, the property owners on the Greenville
road are pulling against those on the Rockwall road. On the west,
the Eagle Ford road has been piked for a distance of nine miles.
Heretofore, the convicts of the
county have been distributed into four squads on the county roads,
and then worked to very poor advantage.
Mr. A. E. Firmin gives the following
interpretation of the road law:
"The costs of running three
camps, as now conducted, amounts to about $16,300 per annum.
To reduce this cost, is one of the objects of the law. The law
provides for one camp at a time, which will reduce the expenses
to about two-thirds of what it costs to maintain three camps,
as one camp will require fewer guards, cooks, overseers, etc.,
besides getting better results by concentrating the whole force
under one competent overseer, whom the Commissioners will be
able, by the reduction in expenses, to employ.
"The second object of the
law is to take up the defective roads and practically convert
them into military roads from the city to the county line, in
the following order, north, south, east and west, and in this
order, because the road to the north is needed more than any
of the other; to the south next, and then to the east, and finally
to the west, because it is already macadamized for a distance
of nine miles. In determining the claims of competing routes
in any direction, the Commissioners are, of course, to look to
the population, the donations offered and the utilization of
the convict labor to the best advantage.
"The Preston road seems to
be the proper route to the north, for the following reasons:
First, because it lies midway between two railroads, and traverses
a wide blackwaxy section, from which the farms have no outlet;
whereas, the competing routes, the Denton and McKinney roads,
run near and parallel to the railroads, which afford the property
owners on them ample transportation. Second, the Preston road
strikes the county line at a point where the road forks, one
of the prongs leading into the southwest corner of Collin and
the other into the northeast corner of Denton county, and thus
making tributary to Dallas, a fertile section of country in Dallas,
the two other counties, embracing the flourishing towns of Lebanon,
Frankfort and two or three others, whose names have escaped me,
the trade of which, now goes to Fort Worth or McKinney.
"The Preston road, for the
reasons stated, is the first road to be repaired, and after this,
the road to the south, and it does not make so much difference
whether the Lancaster, or the Beckley road, is selected. The
donations of the farmers should determine the choice.
"And, according to the law,
the road to the east must be attended to before the road to the
- o o o -
IN THE RACE.
at Richardson in
the Interest of that Route.
owners and merchants interested in having the McKinney road selected
by the County Commissioners Court as the official road from the
city limits to the county line on the north, held a meeting in
Richardson Saturday night, and appointed a committee of four
to appear before the Commissioners Court and present the claims
of that route.
- June 3, 1895, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 1-2.
The committee is composed of Frank
Bowser, B. Stratton, J. L. Floyd and Buck Malone. The committee
came to the city to-day under the erroneous impression that the
Commissioners' Court would be in session.
The committee was authorized to
say to the Commissioners that the people of Richardson and farmers
on the McKinney road are ready to make straight, the very crooked
road, and will furnish all the timber and other material needed
in improving the road, and besides, make a good money bonus.
The rivals of the McKinney road
are the Denton and Preston roads, and the competition is very
sharp. This competition will be the means not only of getting
four straight roads from the city to the county lines in the
direction of the four cardinal points of the compass, but also
of very materially augmenting the road fund by the bonuses the
rival roads will put up.
- o o o -
TO THE EAST.
The Mesquite and
Barnes Bridge Roads
Commissioners will, to-morrow, examine the Mesquite and Barnes'
Bridge roads, from the city to the county line on the east, in
order to be thoroughly posted when they go to select which road
they will improve as the official road to the east.
- June 5, 1895, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 1.
The Greenville road, which is a
candidate for the improvements, has the drawback of being a little
too high towards the north, and for this reason, will perhaps
not be considered by the Commissioners.
The farmers and property owners
on the Mesquite and Barnes' Bridge roads are [not?] in quite
as sharp competition as are the farmers on the roads to the north
and south, and other things being equal, the Commissioners will,
in all cases, decide in favor of the road offering the greatest
- o o o -
THE FOUR ROADS.
as a Board of
Commissioners met to-day as a board of equalization.
Before adjourning for the June
term, the Commissioners will designate the four roads they have
selected to be improved by convict labor.
of Plano, and Mr. Gaines, a member of the Collin County Commissioners'
Court, will be given an audience by the Commissioners' Court
this afternoon. The visitors represent the people of Plano and
the contiguous section of Collin county, who are anxious to have
the McKinney road selected for the official road to the north,
which will give an almost straight route between Dallas and Plano,
whereas, the selection of either the Preston or the Denton road
will leave Plano away to the east, as the McKinney road would
soon fall into bad repair.
- June 10, 1895, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 3.
Mayor Davis and Mr. Gaines are
here to ascertain if a bonus on the part of the people in their
section of Collin would be considered by the Commissioners. The
selection of the McKinney road would be greatly to the advantage
of Plano, and the people of that thriving city are willing to
assist in making a good road of it.
There are also delegations from
the Preston and Denton roads here this afternoon, and the commissioner
will give them a hearing, either this afternoon, or to-morrow.
- o o o -
June 4, 2004:
All the Structures
Gone on Some Dal-
las County Streams.
Commissioner Smith, of District No. 1, which embraces the northeastern
part of the county, says that the rains of Friday night and Saturday
morning, so flooded the streams, that all the bridges in the
district, except the heavy iron ones, were swept away. The streams
traversing District No. 1, are Turtle creek, Lively branch, White
Rock, Farmers' branch and Spring creek.
- June 17, 1895, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 1-2.
Commissioner Smith says it will
take fully $4000 to replace the missing brides, and thus absorb
nearly all the road fund for that district.
Commissioner Halsell, of District
No. 2, has not been to town since the rain, but it is safe to
say that the floods did considerable damage in his district,
also, as there are many water courses running through it.
In No. 4, Commissioner Barkus says
the bridge over Five-mile creek, on the Beckley road, was carried
away, but he has heard of no other damage.
The Third District has not been
officially heard from.
- o o o -
TO THE COUNTRY.
Facts About Dallas
Towns That are Located
Convict Labor to Build Them.
Four More to be Built
The TIMES HERALD,
yesterday, announced the four roads the Commissioner's Court
had selected to improve with convict labor. Commissioner Smith,
speaking of the choice of the court, to-day said:
- July 10, 1895, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 5.
"The road to the south is
the Dallas and Lancaster road, via Oak Cliff. Lisbon and Lancaster
are located on this road. The competing roads were the Beckley
and the Hutchins. There are no towns on the Beckley road. Hutchins
is on the road of that name, and Wilmer is a short distance from
it. The people on the Lancaster and Dallas road give $1000 in
money, the right of way where the road has to be straightened,
and furnish all the rock and other materials.
"The Barnes Bridge road, which
leaves the city near the Fair Grounds, is the road selected to
the east. This road runs about half way between Mesquite and
New Hope, but has no town located on it. The people on this road
put up their notes for $1100 as a bonus.
"The Preston road is the thoroughfare
to the north, and with Dallas as the hub, it makes a spoke between
the McKinney road and the Denton road. Alpha, with three or four
stores, is the only town on the Preston road, as against Richardson,
on the McKinney, and Rawlins postoffice on the Denton road. The
people on the Preston road made liberal donations.
"There was no competition
as to routes to the west, and the Fort Worth road, which touches
at Grand Prairie, the only town on the route, was selected.
"These roads are to be macadamized
with rock and gravel by the labor of the county convict gang,
[and] are to be maintained by the county road and bridge tax
collected in the city of Dallas, the amount of which, for the
current year, has not been announced, but which has, heretofore,
reached nearly $50,000, I believe.
"The excess of this fund,
after maintaining the convict gang, will be used to improve four
additional roads, located as nearly as practicable, midway between
the four roads we have selected to be improved by convict labor.
The four additional roads will be done by contract labor, and
for that reason, they will, no doubt, be completed before the
four convict labor roads are. So, after all, the selection of
the four roads for convict labor will not work so much of a hardship
on the people on the defeated roads, as would, at first, appear.
The Commissioners will select the four additional roads in the
same manner they selected the first four; that is, on a basis
of direction and donation. This will give Dallas eight spokes
in her hub, and put everybody in the county in reach of a good
road to Dallas, and even attract, by smooth roads, much trade
from adjoining counties.
"The work of improving the
four roads we have selected will begin as soon as the convict
camps can be removed."
- o o o -
The Number of Vehicles
Some Reasons Why
They are So
Numerous. Eight Thous-
and of All Kinds
of remark to every visitor to Dallas, and as well to every Dallasite
who goes away to some other Texas town and returns, is the noticeably
large number of vehicles always in evidence in this city. Dallas
leads all other Texas cities by long odds in the number of its
conveyances, both private and public; and, not only are the vehicles
in Dallas so numerous as to excite general comment, but their
variety is as great as is manufacture in this line. They range
from the aristocratic automobile, on down to the humble dray,
of which the New England poet has said, somewhat in effect, "that
they are built to last one hundred years and a day."
- September 13, 1903,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 17, col. 1-4.
It is not, perhaps, an unjustified
estimate to say that 65 per cent of the residence owners of Dallas
either own their own horse and buggy or carriage or wagon, or
own one jointly with some one. It ought to be, therefore, a conservative
estimate to place the number of vehicles owned by private individuals
in both Dallas and Oak Cliff, added to the number in the public
stables, at approximately 8000; and this is based on an estimate
that in Dallas, and in her suburbs, there are about 14,000 families.
The vast majority of these vehicles
are, of course, buggies and carriages, many famiies owning both
a buggy and a carriage, and here and there may be found some
that own more than two.
Every one has observed the endless
procession of buggies, carriages, express wagons, carts, etc.,
on the main down-town streets of week days. On Sundays, one only
has to sit on some favored shady porch that fronts Haskell avenue,
one of the most popular driveways of the city, on a cool fall
or winter afternoon, or upon some other favored drive, and note
the endless procession on four wheels that rolls past. On Grand
avenue and Ervay street, part of that same procession is winding
along. Of course, the driving is not confined to these thoroughfares
by any means, but they are the main streets that drivers take
who want to make the "long circle drive" around the
Again, one only has to go out on
some one of the several fine macadamized roads that radiate like
long yellow tentacles into the country to find scores more of
Dallasites out driving upon them and drinking in the breezes
from field and wood. It seems, indeed, that Dallas is a veritable
red ant bed, so to speak, of buggies and carriages, which pour
forth on pleasant days when overhead the sky is blue and the
air is crisp.
There are several explanations
of why Dallas has such a multiplied number of conveyances. Dallas
is a city whose population is largely residence owners. They
have come to Dallas to stay; they have cast their lots here and
become a permanent part of the city. They like the city and they
know of none better anywhere. They have engaged in business here,
or have position with different firms, and they have built their
homes here. The population of Dallas is not a transient one.
And, one of the most useful and pleasure-giving things that one
can have about one's home, is a good horse and equipage large
enough for the family needs. One may then go when it pleases,
to where it pleases, and stay as long as it pleases. This is
a comfort only possible at all times to the owner of a buggy,
carriage, or other conveyance. The street cars do not run to
every point in the city, and to no pint in the country, excepting
along one narrow line. Another consideration is that the average
Dallas family is a large one, for the "race suicide"
doctrine has no known examples here, and street car fare as a
salary eater outclasses the boll weevil at his specialty.
One man, who has a family of five,
figured it up that he could save enough from just the Sunday
car fares for his family to buy a carriage for them, and save
money on the investment.
When a family wants to take an
airing and has no means of doing it other than by street car,
the airing, in addition to being expensive, is also briefer than
one would like. Away the car whisks, and within thirty or forty
minutes, on an average, back you are at the starting place before
you have read all the signs in the car even, nor has there been
time for more than two good breaths of air all told. When a family
goes out for an airing, they want to take their time about it,
or it's not worth while. But, you can hook up "old John"
to the surrey and he will take you all round the circuit, and
there is no danger of the "power giving out." You have
your right-of-way wherever you may choose to go, and you don't
suddenly swing around a sharp curve that almost jerks a rib out.
Not a few of the buggies that we
see in Dallas nowadays were bought by irate gentlemen who used
to go down town---or start towards town--in the days of balky
streets cars here, a day not so distant, but that some of our
oldest inhabitants may yet be able to recall them.
The State Fair, held here annually,
has also had a great deal to do with increasing the desire of
every Dallas family to own a nice horse and buggy or surrey.
First, the splendid exhibits of vehicles inbred the desire for
one of them, and then many of them were sold at very close figures,
rather than removed them. Then, the exhibits of fine horses,
roadsters, on the track or at the stables, had its share in making
Dallas people want to own an equipage.
Then, it is said, too, that it
is the ambition of nearly every young man in town to own a "red-wheeled
runabout," for moonlight nights are numerous about Dallas,
picnics in the spring are plentiful, and camp meetings happen
when there is nothing else going on.
- o o o -
Annex Avenue Will
Into a Taxing District.
ACTION WAS PROMPT
Went About Matter
in Business-Like Manner Last Night.
Committee Was Appointed.
chapel at the corner of Annex avenue and Bryan street was the
scene of a lamp-light meeting last night that resulted in the
determination to pave Annex avenue and improve adjacent streets.
The material to be used will be Jacksboro stone, or something
equally as good, if not better. There were about thirty property
owners present, and those who were unable to attend were represented
by proxy. One particularly pleasing feature of the meeting was
the fact that immediate action was determined upon and the matter
will not be resoluted and referred, as is the usual case in such
affairs where there is no executive head.
- August 30, 1904,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 1.
Organization was effected soon
after assembling and R. E. L. Saner was elected chairman of the
meeting and C. D. Fine was made secretary. Appropriate committees
were appointed to visit all property owners and obtain their
consent to the formation of a taxing district, to select and
decide upon the materials and specifications, and, in a general
way, act in the capacity of an advisory board and direct the
work of construction. This completed the regular business and
the meeting was adjourned to meet at the same time and place
on Monday, September 5.
Addresses were made by Mayor Barry,
Alderman Ardrey, J. A. Pondrom, of the city finance committee;
C. H. Read, of the ordinance committee, and others.
A very brief epitome of Mayor Barry's
"A bond issue for this work
is not advisable, and is, moreover, entirely out of the question,
for the reason that the limit in this respect has already been
exceeded. The tax in the special district is limited to $2.50
on the $1000, including all regular taxes for city purposes.
A conservative estimate of the cost of paving with stone would
be about $3 a running foot, or, a [sic] $1.50 for the property
owners on each side of the street, amounting to about 30 cents
per foot a year, for a period of five years.
"Unfortunately, the city is
totally unable to lend you any material aid in this undertaking
at the present time, as to keep the streets even in fair condition
in the residence district, is costing more than $30,000 a year.
This amount, if the streets were paved, might be expended in
other advantageous ways, that would greatly improve conditions
and enhance the beauty and attractiveness of the city."
Alderman J. Howard Ardrey was called
on and said that, although the city was not financially able
to help the enterprise along in the desired way, still, he would
pledge that the city would, and could, take care of all streets
that have been paved by the citizens, and pledged his support
of any undertaking to that end.
Alderman J. A. Pondrom spoke of
the success of the taxing district plan, and of the success that
had attended its use. He referred more particularly to St. Louis,
where, he said, he had been reared and was familiar with the
condition that had existed there and could, therefore, appreciate
the results which had accrued from the free use of the paving
The other speakers talked along
the same line and there was much interest and enthusiasm manifested.
A petition was read from the residents of Munger avenue and that
district will also be added to the taxing district.
It was decided to notify all property
owners, that all franchises which will require street excavations,
must be attended to before the paving is commenced.
The following committees were appointed:
To see property owners---A. S. Jackson to west side and W. B.
Luna to east side of Annex, from Ross to Bryan; F. E. Stanberry
from Bryan to Live Oak; W. H. Dana, from Live Oak to Swiss; C.
H. Alexander, from Ross to Harry, and F. E. Shoup on Munger,
Committee on specifications: R.
E. L. Saner, A. E. Jackson, E. S. Lauderdale, J. N. Griswold,
W. H. Dana and C. H. Alexander were appointed. These property
owners will meet today at 5 o'clock in Mr. Alexander's office
in the North Texas building, and will report next Monday night
to another meeting of the residents of the street.
The Live Oak street property owners
who are interested in the movement to improve that thoroughfare,
have decided to postpone the meeting which was to have been held
Thursday evening, owing to the fact that the committees are not
ready to report.
- o o o -
STRUCTURE WILL BE
BY FIRST OF NEW YEAR -- CON-
CRETE WORK IS DONE.
TO COST $650,000
ORIGINAL COST WAS
$60O,000 -- ADD-
ED FEATURES CAUSE SOME
LONGEST IN THE WORLD
Structure Will be
5,840 Feet Long and
33 Feet Wide -- Lighting Will Be
Brilliant -- To Have
many weeks have passed, the longest viaduct in the world will
have been completed and opened for traffic. This will be the
Dallas-Oak Cliff viaduct, and the present indications are that
the structure will be opened for traffic by the first of 1912.
The viaduct, as it will be when
completed, will be 4780 feet long, that is, the span portions
of the structure. With the length, including the approaches on
the North and South ends, it will be 5840 feet. The width between
the hand rails is fifty-three feet, or three feet more than was
called for in the original contract. The cost to complete the
viaduct will be approximately $650,000.
Was Begun in October, 1910.
The magnificent structure was begun
in October of 1910. All of the concrete, except for that for
the concrete railings and minor work on the river spans, has
been completed, and now the finishing touches are being put on.
The concrete work was completed last week when the last arch
The contract for the roadway was
let to Corrigan, Lee & Halpin, while the design was drawn
by Hedrick & Cochrane of Kansas City. Under the contract,
the structure was to have been completed by January 2, 1912,
and unless something happens to greatly retard the work, the
structure will be completed within the time limit fixed in the
Being Built by Dallas County.
The structure is being built by
the people of Dallas county. A special bond election was held,
at which time $600,000 was voted for the erection of the viaduct.
This was the original price, but the last estimate on the structure
was practically $650,000.
This increased cost comes from
the fact that the commissioners' court ordered some changes in
the manner of the work. These changes come in the widening of
the structure three feet, and some work on the floor, which is
intended to make the structure more durable for the heavy traffic,
which will, of a necessity, come in coming years.
Why Cost Is Increased.
The commissioners' court, presided
over by Judge John L. Young, has taken a very active part in
the erection of the structure, and they have noted, with pride,
the building of the magnificent passageway. Last week, the commissioners
made a personal inspection of the structure and are highly pleased
with the manner of erection, the material used, and the progress
of the work.
The commissioners have also guarded,
very closely, any increased expense attached to the building
of the bridgeway, and the additional $50,000, it is thought,
will put the structure ready for public travel. For this amount,
in part, the commissioners have transferred $30,000 from the
bridge fund to the Oak Cliff viaduct fund. This, according to
the order, is to be placed by February of next year.
To Have Great Celebration.
While the county commissioners
are yet undecided as to what kind of a celebration there will
be on the day the structure is declared open for travel, it is
likely that something unusual will take place. For, the fact
that no exact date has yet been fixed for the opening, has caused
these plans to be postponed, for a while, at least. It is proposed
by two of the commissioners to have as many vehicles as possible
parade across the viaduct, turning at the Lancaster avenue entrance
on the return trip, merely to see how many vehicles can occupy
the viaduct at one time. For the opening, the commissioners have
received several petitions from certain organizations in the
city to serve lunches near the entrance on the Dallas side, and
from every indication, the opening will be attended by unusual
ceremonies. Several addresses are to be delivered.
To Be Brilliantly Lighted.
November 5, 1911, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, Sec. I, p. 6, col. 1-2.
The closing part of the work will
be brought out in the next few weeks. The process of lighting
of the structure will be finished several days before the opening,
when the lights will be turned on and tested. These lights will
be placed every few feet and are to be similar to those used
at the present time in lighting Elm street. At each end, the
lights are to be of double the power of the lights to be placed
in the center.
Later, it is said, that Houston
street, the approach from the court house, is to be paved, and
that street to be brilliantly illuminated from the intersection
of Elm street. This assures a more impressive passage from the
city proper to the approach, than is had at the present time.
- o o o -
First Completed Section of New
Concrete County Road System
(click on image for
Half a million dollars' worth of concrete
road is being constructed on the cardinal approaches to Dallas
under the provisions of a recent $500,000 bond issue. Several
contracts for road work have already been let, and some of the
roads are practically completed. Automobilists are enthusiastic
over the betterment. The picture shows a section of the West
Dallas Pike, leading towards the new Commerce street bridge,
across the Trinity. This is the first section of the new county
paving to be completed, and it is a unit of the proposed county
good road system. The concrete work is vibrolithic, the same
type of paving as used on many Dallas residence and business
- October 14, 1917,
Dallas Daily Times Herald,
8th Annual Auto Supplement., p. 1, col. 3-5.
- o o o -
OF ROAD WORK DURING PAST YEAR
year has been an unusually quiet one in road building, with the
exception of a few instances. The principal work that has been
done in this connection was the completion of the Commerce street
viaduct, at a cost of $175,000, and the building of two miles
of concrete road on the West Dallas pike, at a cost of more than
$25,000. This work has not yet been completed. Great plans for
future road work are being made by the county commissioners.
- October 14, 1917,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, 8th Annual Auto Supplement., p. 1,
Aside from the work in West Dallas,
there has been less than $100,000 expended for new roads and
in the completion of old ones. The commissioners have done much,
however, toward improving the graveled roads of the county, and
now the county of Dallas has one of the best gravel macadam system
of highways in the state. An era of permanent road building is
now being mapped out by the court. It will be several months,
however, before this work will be well under way.
Where Work Was Done.
The principal work done during
the past year in the respective sections of the county is shown
In Commissioner Burton's district:
Seagoville road and East pike resurfaced, graveled and rolled.
The East pike has also been resurfaced and scarified to the Grove
Hill cemetery, making this one of the best roads in the county.
Connecting roads have also been graveled and rolled.
In Commissioner Patrick's district:
The Ferris and Wilmer road graded and graveled to Gravel Slough;
gravel macadam road built over Forest Avenue Heights road. New
road built, connecting Miller's Ferry road with old Lisbon-Hutchins
road. Plans are now under way for building good road from Forest
avenue road to Lancaster pike.
In Commissioner Ledbetter's district:
West Dallas permanent road, two miles long and work still under
way; three miles Beckley road resurfaced; four miles Irving road
resurfaced; four miles Fort Worth pike resurfaced. Nine miles
of new road, principally in the Irving community, have been built.
In Commissioner Miller's district:
Several short roads have been opened in the extreme northern
part of the county. Preston road has been resurfaced and Richardson
pike rebuilt in places. This is one of the best highways in this
section of the state. Connecting roads between Preston and Richardson
In the four districts, plans are
now under way for the immediate expenditure of nearly $100,000.
Of this amount, $40,000 has been received from the State Highway
Commission as state and federal aid. This fund is to be spent
on the following designated state highways: Richardson road,
Greenville road, East pike, Fort Worth pike, Miller's Ferry road
and the Lancaster pike. As far as possible, permanent highways
are to be built to conform with the plans of the State Highway
Serving Two Purposes.
These good roads in Dallas county
are serving two purposes: First, they make hauling light for
the farmers of the county, and second, they afford pleasant drives
for the autoists.
Travel during the past year, according
to the estimates made by members of the commissioners' court
has more than doubled. This has placed before the road builders,
another great problem, that of abating the dust nuisance. Permanent
roads, it is believed, will solve this problem. However, it will
be many years before the county will be covered with these permanent
roads. At this time, the county hasn't the funds with which to
build these roads. It is very likely no road bond issues will
be submitted until the war is over. However, unless the unforeseen
occurs, another year will see the greatest development of the
road system than any previous year.
- o o o -
THERE ARE TWO GOOD ROADS
TO FORT WORTH WHICH MAY BE
USED DURING PIKE BUILDING
BY GEORGE W. FOSTER.
two good roads between Dallas and Fort Worth which may be taken
to avoid the pike now under re-construction in Dallas county
that are but little longer in mileage than the pike. Also, there
are two good roads which are considerably longer in mileage,
but which can be used with perfect safety by heavy automobiles
to Grand Prairie which escapes the regular pike, can be taken
by those desiring to go there as well as those wishing to go
to Arlington and beyond, independent of the road workers. This
latter is one of the good roads first mentioned above. The distance
thereby, via Arlington, omitting Grand Prairie, is 38.5 miles
from the court house, Dallas, to Commerce and Tenth streets,
Fort Worth. This road leads out of Dallas by way of the Commerce
street bridge. It follows West Dallas pike across the river bottom
and the Eagle Ford road through and beyond the cement works to
the Eagle Ford bridge. This bridge crosses the west fork of the
Trinity River 6.8 miles from Dallas. At the west end of this
bridge, take the road bearing off to the left and follow it about
five miles to the point where it is crossed by the Grand Prairie-Sowers
road. This point will be easily recognized by the fact that the
lane going straight on is not graveled, nor in any way improved.
This appearance is also to be remembered because there are two
other roads leading to the right and left which are not to be
taken. The good gravel road is to be followed from the Eagle
Ford bridge to this point. To go to Grand Prairie from here,
turn left; the distance is 3.6 miles; it is a little rough, but
the distance from here is 12.7 miles. Take [the] road to the
right. It goes north. Follow it about two miles, where it is
crossed by another good surfaced highway; take this to the left
and follow it straight ahead, regardless of crossroads, to where
it apparently ends at another good road bearing right and left.
This point will be recognized by a sign on the farm fence, "Belgium
Rabbits." Go left. From here, the road is plain and unmistakable,
but rather narrow through the bottom of the west fork, where
tall weeds and brush hide the crooked road a few rods ahead.
Go slow here. There are two or three rather weak bridges in this
section that might not support heavy trucks or extra heavy touring
cars of the high-powered class. These bridges should be inspected
before being crossed by heavy cars and taken slowly by the lighter
another route through this section which crosses the west fork
at another place. It is a deviation from the path we have been
describing, but has not been followed by the writer. This will
be done later.
From Arlington, the wayfarer has
the well-known tarvia highway, the pride of Tarrant County, at
his pleasure to Fort Worth-distance 13.4 miles.
The other good short road between
Dallas and Fort Worth passes through Irving and Sowers. The distance
from court house, Dallas, to Commerce and Third streets, Fort
Worth, is 37.3. miles.
and distances follow: Take the West Dallas pike from the Commerce
street bridge across the river bottom and follow the Eagle Ford
road to the west fork bridge-6.8 miles. Go straight ahead to
and through Irving. The road isn't straight, but it is a plain,
much-traveled highway, difficult to miss without a guide book.
Go through the town of Irving from east to west, passing en route
the ornamental structure at the center of the intersection of
the two principal streets of the city. At the west end of this
street, turn right, cross the Rock Island railroad and follow
the highway for a distance from Irving of 2.7 miles, where turn
left near a large white farm house, having three gables. Go straight
through Sowers-13.9 miles from Dallas-and continue westward,
though the good road be devious, to Buell-19.4 miles-recognized
by a store and garage at the apparent end of your trail. Here,
a road bears right and left. Go left exactly one mile. Pay attention.
Turn right 20.4 miles. Keep as straight as the road travels,
omitting crossroads, from here to a place from whence a station
on a railroad is seen ahead and a brick schoolhouse is seen on
the right. Turn right, pass the schoolhouse 26.6 miles. The plain,
good road bears right beyond here a few rods and is to be followed
to a tarvia highway-30.5 miles. This leads to Third and Commerce
streets, Fort Worth, 37.3 miles.
no fingerboards, corner marks, mile posts nor educational advertisements
anywhere on either of these roadways, off the cardinal roads,
in either county. They are good gravel roads, but narrow and
crooked in places. At a point about two miles west of Sowers,
there is a chug-hole that can not be avoided, it being a washed-out
drain. Going west, it lies in wait at the bottom of a crooked
hill. Coming east, it is about three miles east of Buell, a few
rods east of an iron bridge, which crosses a wooded creek. Look
out for it. There are always a few bad places in all good roads.
These described are not to be excepted from the rule, but they
are, either of them, infinitely better than the Fort Worth cardinal
pike in Dallas county, as it now exists.
roads of greater length referred to at the beginning hereof,
are those via Cedar Hill on the south and Grapevine on the north,
either of which exceeds in length those described by at least
ten miles. Anyone desiring direction thereon can be advised by
the writer or by the secretary of the Dallas Automobile Association.
- July 20, 1919, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 19.
- o o o -
Dallasites to Ask Designation
of Northwest Highway
PROVAL OF BIG PROJECT
TO BE SOUGHT
of the proposed Dallas Northwest highway, extending 50.3 miles
from Dallas to Rhome, in Wise county, will be asked of the Texas
state highway commission when delegations of representative men
from Dallas and other towns along the proposed route meet with
that body in Austin Wednesday or Thursday of this week, T. M.
Cullum, former president of the Dallas Chamber of Commerce, said
Monday morning. The road, as proposed, would provide a short
cut from Dallas to the Texas panhandle.
John Boswell, head of the Southwest
development service of the Dallas Chamber of Commerce, returned
Monday morning from a visit to towns along the route in behalf
of the proposed highway.
"I visited Grapevine, Decatur,
Rhome, Bowie, Wichita Falls, Roanoke, Henrietta, Amarillo and
a number of other towns," said Mr. Boswell. "Everywhere
I found them most enthusiastic over the proposed road, and was
told that delegations of representative men from each of them
would go to Austin with us this week to ask its designation of
the state highway commission."
Mr. Cullum said he had received
assurance from Grapevine and Roanoke that each of those communities
would send twelve-men delegations to Austin.
"I have wired Chairman Hal
Mosely that we would like to appear before the commission, either
Wednesday or Thursday of this week," he said, "and,
I believe we will have strength enough and facts enough, to enable
us to get the necessary designation of this road as a highway."
The Dallas delegation will be composed
of T. M. Cullum, Judge Joseph E. Cockrell, W. M. Carruth, County
Commissioner J. W. Slaughter, John Boswell and several others,
whose names will be given out later.
The delegation from Grapevine,
in Tarrant county, will be headed by D. E. Box, president of
the Tarrant County National bank, who has been most active in
arousing interest in the proposed highway.
Agitation for the proposed road
was first begun among the cities and counties of Northwest Texas
several years ago. Plans were drawn up and proposal submitted
to the commission just preceding the present one, the old commission
going out of office before any action was taken.
County Commissioner J. W. Slaughter
has led the fight in and around Dallas for the new road. Its
construction will cost a total of $2,250,000, of which amount
Dallas county probably will be called on for half.
It has been pointed out that no
difficulty in obtaining state and federal aid should be encountered
in this project, since Dallas county pays into the above something
like $1,000,000 yearly, only a small portion of which is expended
within its boundaries.
The proposed road will begin at
state highway No. 1, just a few miles east of Dallas, and will
pass to the north of the city, past White Rock reservoir and
on to the northwest, where it will join with highway No. 2 at
It will have a 100-foot right of
way, and its hard surface roadway will vary in width from twenty
to forty feet.
To Follow Railroad Dump.
It will follow along the abandoned
dump of the Dallas, Pacific and Southeastern railway, thus saving
many dollars in cost of grading. Right of way originally obtained
for the railroad will be used by the new highway. The railroad
was chartered in 1889 by W. H. Flippen, J. C. O'Connor, Alex
Sanger, John N. Simpson and a number of other Dallas men. It
was abandoned because of the building of the Fort Worth and Denver
and other roads in the section it was intended to serve, and
its charter was forfeited in 1898, because of nonpayment of franchise
The use of the abandoned road-bed
enables the highway to be built so that none of its grades exceeds
1 per cent, and there are none of the sharp curves usually encountered
Valuable to City.
- April 12, 1926, Dallas
Daily Times Herald,
In commenting on the proposed highway
Monday, Mr. Boswell said, "This road can be looked on as
one of the most important brought into Dallas. Not only will
it bring travel from the Northwest, but it will enable that section
to be tied to East Texas as well, since it connects here with
all highways leading into the latter section.
"When it was proposed several
years ago to build an interurban to Wichita Falls, it was calculated
that an increase of 25,000 would result in Dallas' population.
"Mr. J. A. Kemp of Wichita
Falls told me the other day that, in his opinion, this new highway
would be of even greater benefit than the interurban would have
Mr. Boswell said the new road would
also do much to relieve congestion on the present Fort Worth-Dallas
Sec. I, p. 1, col. 1; continued on p. 2, col. 3-4.
- o o o -