At a largely
attended meeting held in the basement of the city hall last evening,
the Woodmen of the World elected officers as follows: Consul
commander, J. W. Johnson; adviser lieutenant, A. Crabtree; excellent
banker, Tom J. Pettit; clerk, J. T. Carter,; escort, T. C. Cooper;
watchman, J. Newman; sentry, Frank Johnson and John G. Hunter,
C. H. Cooper and A. L. Hodge, managers.
- February 5, 1891,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 2.
- o o o -
A CHORAL SOCIETY.
City Hall Last Night.
meeting of vocalists was held in the auditorium of the city hall
last night, about forty singers being present. The object of
the meeting was the organization of a choral society to improve
the standing of vocal music and generally, to take part, if encouraged
by the management, in the state fair and ultimately compete for
a prize offered by the World's fair management at Chicago in
- June 16, 1892, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 6.
Organization was effected by electing
Ben Frees, president; C. O. Harris, vice-president; M. G. Hunter,
recording secretary; James Cole, treasurer; Prof. Ilans Kreisig,
director; Henry Garrett, vice-director; G. R. Noguira, librarian,
and W. r. Scogin, assistant librarian.
An executive committee and a membership
committee were elected, when the society adjourned to meet next
Thursday evening at 8 o'clock.
- o o o -
NOMINATION OF CHIEFS.
of Wyoming Tribe, No. 33, Imperial Order of Red Men, fifth sun,
hot moon, G. S. D. 408. Chiefs, you are requested to assemble
around the council fire this sleep to select the big chiefs for
the ensuing great sun. Two palefaces will be found astray in
the forest to be adopted. Members from distant hunting grounds
- June 5, 1899, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 1.
- o o o -
Hall Yesterday Afternoon.
Illinois association held an enthusiastic meeting at the city
hall Saturday evening. The meeting was called to order by Col.
G. M. Alden of Lancaster and E. H. Connibear was elected chairman,
and Dr. R. B. Spurgin, secretary.
- September 3, 1899,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 1-2.
After some discussion, an executive
committee of eight was appointed to have full control of the
arrangements of Illinois day, Oct. 7th having been set aside
for that occasion. J. C. Quick, H. G. Schnelle, P. Y. Mullen,
B. M. Reid, J. B. Stone, E. H. Connibear, Chilton Monroe, Col.
G. M. Alden and Mesdames W. M. Spaulding, S. B. Gee and J. S.
Finley were appointed on this committee, with Col. G. M. Alden
as chairman. The executive committee was instructed to appoint
sub-committees to arrange for music speakers, badges, decorations,
etc. After considerable interesting discussion of ways and means,
the meeting adjourned to meet at 8 p. m. Saturday, Sept. 16 at
the city hall. After adjournment of the general meeting, the
executive committee was called to order by Col. Alden. Mr. Chilton
Monroe was elected secretary and the following committees were
Committee on music--Mrs. J. L.
Finley, chairman; Mrs. W. M. Spaulding, Mrs. S. B. Gee and Mrs.
Perry of Lancaster.
Committee on finances--J. W. Ayers,
chairman; J. B. Stone and H. G. Schnele.
Committee on badges--Mrs. G. M.
Alden and Mrs. Perry.
The chairman and secretary of the executive committee were instructed
to correspond with Governor Tanner of Illinois, ex-Vice President
Adlai E. Stephenson and ex-Governor Joe Fifer of Bloomington,
Ill., and Hon. J. C. Black of Chicago, with a view of securing
their presence here on Oct. 7th.
J. W. Ayers is authorized to receive
funds to defray the expenses of the programme on that day.
Col. Alden is still receiving names
and addresses of former "suckers" and enrolling them
in the great book which he has always open at Lancaster.
- o o o -
Local Organization Will Meet
Tuesday Night for
Purpose of Considering Matters
A. Johnston said yesterday: "The Kentuckians will resume
their monthly meetings, now that the winter is over, and the
next regular meeting will be held Tuesday night. These social
meetings of the association have proved to be a source of considerable
pleasure, and those members who have failed to attend, have missed
the opportunity of meeting old friends and making new acquaintances.
The society of Kentuckians in Dallas now numbers something like
four hundred members, some of whom never miss a meeting. Usually,
we have a nice musical programme, and we generally have some
good talks by those present, for you know, the Kentuckians are
noted for being able to give a reason for the faith that is in
- June 2, 1901, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 5.
"As president of the county
organization, it devolves upon myself to appoint some committees
at the next meeting, especially a committee on programme, as
we don't propose to allow our organization to languish, but intend
to make our meetings so interesting that it will be difficult
to find a more pleasant place to spend an evening. Our last three
annual reunions at the fair grounds on Kentucky day, each year,
have proved to be the red letter days of the fair, and we must
take no backward step this year.
"I am informed that our state
president, Mr. Geo. W. Crutcher, and Mr. Geo. D. Armistead, state
secretary, have already been doing good work, looking to the
next state annual reunion, by correspondence with Gov. Beckham
and other prominent Kentuckians, with bright prospects of having
them attend our next reunion and deliver an address on Kentucky
day. We assume that the fair management will assign us a Kentucky
day that will be satisfactory to all. When this is done, due
announcement will be made of the fact; but, we propose to keep
up our local organization in Dallas, even if we are not assigned
a day. I notice that in the larger cities, Chicago, St. Louis
and lately, in New York, there are Kentucky societies, the largest
membership being in Chicago. I have been informed that the society
of Missourians have probably the largest membership in New York
city. These organizations are commendable, because, while we
are very fond of the state of our adoption, we do not intend
to forget the old mother state.
"We extend a cordial invitation
to every Kentuckian in Dallas to come out to our meeting next
Tuesday night at Smith's hall, just east of the postoffice, and
let us get started off for our summer work, which we promise
will be pleasant."
- o o o -
BONEHEADS WILL CONFER
DEGREES NEXT FRIDAY.
club will confer four degrees on as many candidates at its annual
"Commencement Exercises," to be held Friday, June 16.
The candidates for the degrees are W. F. Skillman, Dr. Graham
Frank, Dr. W. J. Johnson and Raymond Thomas. Mr. Thomas is also
a candidate for an honorary degree.
- June 11, 1922, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 1.
J. J. Taylor, candidate from last
year's class, who has been in probation, has been chosen valedictorian.
W. H. Potts will deliver the baccalaureate address.
- o o o -
of the Bonehead club, at luncheon Friday, christened the new
dining room at Stoneleigh court when it was offered to them for
first public use. The dinner was given by Mrs. J. M. Martin to
the Boneheads, of which her husband is a member, as being a surprise
to him. Big Chief W. C. Everett presided at the meeting and many
deep subjects were offered for discussion, but dispensed with
rapidly. Speakers who tried to launch a subject were Dr. Will
Anderson, Bert Chaney, Dr. J. H. Black, Dr. H. M. Whaling, Dr.
Graham Frank, J. J. Taylor, Howard Payne and Dr. T. O. Perrin.
- October 13, 1923,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 12, col. 7.
- o o o -
Visitor's Sneer Moved Dallasites
To Start Historical Society Plan
which now possesses one of the outstanding historical centers
of the nation, was once derided by a visitor for its lack of
historical facilities. Soon after the turn of the century, Henry
J. Bohn visited a Dallas which had no Dallas Historical Society,
and no Hall of State. "I ask when and by whom Dallas was
settled, and leading citizens are unable to answer me,"
the Chicago editor complained. "Where, I ask, is its library
of historical data? I lament and marvel."
* * *
Today, a visitor would have difficulty
in finding a citizen, young or old, who could not answer the
question that stumped leading citizens of 50 years ago, and he
would find a nationally famous "library of historical data,"
gathered by the Dallas Historical Society, housed in a building
so magnificent that it has been called "The Westminster
Abbey of the western world."
Evolution of Culture.
* * *
The sequence of events which has
brought about Dallas' changed historical status, traces the evolution
of one of the city's major cultural assets. On March 31, 1922,
101 citizens met in the University Club at the old Oriental Hotel,
on the present site of the Baker Hotel, and established the Dallas
Historical Society. Few of them were technical historians, but
they subscribed heartily to the slogan coined by John Wynne Barton,
first secretary of the Historical Society. "A city that
is not proud of its history is unworthy of the name city."
Most of the founders and most of
the present members are business and professional leaders of
the city, and the institution has always received the active
support of the business community.
The first activity of the Historical Society -- and it remains
one of the most important ones -- was the collection of manuscripts
and printed materials relating to every phase of the community
development and the careers of the citizens who, through the
years, have here created a city.
Earliest depository of the institution
was the office safe of the late C. B. Gillespie, first curator
of the Historical Society. In 1933, arrangements were made with
Southern Methodist University for housing the growing historical
collections on the university campus. By 1936, the Dallas Historical
Society had become a nationally recognized institution whose
activities had outgrown its physical facilities.
Memorial to Founders.
* * *
In that year, the State of Texas
erected the $1,200,000 Hall of State at Fair Park as a memorial
to the founders of Texas. This monumental structure was the center
of interest at the Centennial and Pan American Expositions in
1936-37. To millions of visitors the Hall of State was a symbol
of Texas and Dallas.
In 1938, the building was turned
over to the City of Dallas to be operated as a center of historical
activity. Thus, the community found itself with a happy coincidence
of complementary needs and capacities. The City of Dallas needed
an instrumentality for operation of the magnificent building
under standards worthy of it, and the Dallas Historical Society
needed a setting for its rapidly growing collections and expanding
On February 7, 1938, the City Council
invited the Dallas Historical Society, "which has had a
number of years of successful operation, and wide recognition,"
to undertake the project for "the upbuilding, care and display
of a suitable historical museum to be permanently housed in the
"Hall of State, to be of statewide interest." By the
middle of June, the Dallas Historical Society had assumed custody
of the building and transferred its collections and operations
to the Hall of State.
* * *
The building had been effectively
designed as a setting for a distinguished museum of Texas history.
Leading architects, sculptors and artists had collaborated in
the creation of an edifice of breathtaking beauty, from which
the most casual visitor obtains a lasting impression of the glamour
and magnificence of Texas. Long colonnades front the T-shaped
structure, broken by a semi-circular central niche which towers
above the rest of the building. Through massive bronze doors
beneath the heroic statue of a Tejas Indian, the visitor enters
the Hall of the Heroes, which commemorates the battles of independence
and memorializes the immortals of early Texas.
To the left, are the Halls of West
Texas and East Texas, and to the right, are the Halls of South
and North Texas. Each regional hall is designed to reflect the
characteristic features of its section. Native woods, typical
of the regions, have been utilized, and the murals (two each
in the East and West Texas halls, and one each in the others)
catch the spirit of the regions.
The third wing of the structure
is devoted to the Hall of the Six Flags, a room of magnificent
proportions and awe-inspiring dignity. The gigantic seal at one
end of the hall represents, symbolically, the six power Texas
has owed allegiance to; at the other end, are the flags of these
power. Along the walls are murals depicting the history of the
state, from the days of Cabeza de Vaca, to the present. As Texans
enter this room, they instinctively lift their hats and lower
- August 28, 1949,
Dallas Times Herald, Sec. A, p. 12, col. 1-5.
The Hall of the Six Flags, since
the society's custody of the building, has been the setting of
many magnificent civic occasions and notable programs.
The four regional rooms are the
principal exhibit areas of the building. The Historical Society
scorns exhibits of the old-fashioned curio-type museum, and tries
to plan its exhibits so that they tell an interesting story of
Texas history to the most casual visitor. The society's insistence
on functioning as an educational institution, rather than as
a warehouse of the obsolete, accounts, in large measure, for
its popularity with museum visitors of all ages and temperaments.
Material displayed is continually
being changed, so that there is always something fresh and new
to be seen in the building. Only a small part of the society's
collection of more than three-quarters of a million items can
be shown at one time. Usually, about 800 items are on view, grouped
in uncluttered displays which illustrate some facet of Dallas
or Texas history.
All of the society's materials,
however, are available in its reading room for detailed study
by interested researchers. Its research collections consist of
many groups of family and business archives, personal papers
and Texas periodicals. Its growing collections of Texas books
include a notable collection of Texana, the Summerfield Roberts
collection, whose acquisition is provided by Mr. Roberts, vice-president
of the society.
Presidents of the society, since its
founding, have been: Rhodes S. Baker, Manning B. Shannon, G.
B. Dealey and Tom L. McCullough, current president.
Trustees of the institution are
Sam H. Acheson, George Waverley Briggs, Dr. Edward H. Cary,
Col. Murrell Lee Buckner, Mrs. A. V. Cockrell, E. M. (Ted) Dealey,
Dr. E. DeGolyer, Myron Everts, Henry Exall, Edgar L. Flippen,
R. R. Gilbert, Tom C. Gooch, N. G. Gulberson, Jake L. Hamon,
S. J. Hay, William S. Henson, Karl Hoblitzelle, Dr. Umphrey Lee,
Mrs. W. J. Lewis, Tom L. McCullough, Mrs. Barry Miller, Henry
S. Miller, J. M. Moroney, J. C. Muse, Jr., Mrs. Rue O'Neill,
John E. Owens, Summerfield G. Roberts, Mrs. Stone J. Robinson,
Mrs. Woodall Rodgers, Eli Sanger, Harry L. Seay, Hugo W. Schoellkopf,
M. B. Shannon, Mrs. Alex W. Spence and Leslie Waggener.
- o o o -