By Ralph W. Marler, World Staff Writer

From "The Tulsa World," Saturday, January 11, 2002
Section A, Page 14

SAPULPA -- Two of three sisters were killed Wednesday in an automobile accident while they were making burial arrangements for their mother, who had died earlier that day.

The third sister was expected to be released Saturday from St. John Medical Center in Tulsa after treatment for bruises from her seat belt, a daughter said.

The sisters who were killed are Sue. W. GOODE, 63, of Tulsa, a homemaker and dollmaker, and Beatrice "Bea" LEWIS, 66, of Sapulpa, a nurse at St. John-Sapulpa Medical Center.

They were passengers in a sport utility vehicle driven by their sister, Debra STEWART, 43, of Sand Springs.

The women had left Smith Funeral Home in Sapulpa en route to make burial arrangements at Woodland Memorial Park Cemetery in Sand Springs for their mother, Hazel Bell LILES, 82, who died early Wednesday.

Northbound on Oklahoma 97, the SUV was struck by a pickup that failed to stop at a stop sign on 91st Street, Sapulpa Police Capt. Rick Rumsey said.

Goode and Lewis were ejected from the SUV as a result of the impact.

The pickup driver, who police would not identify until an investigation is completed, was not injured seriously, Rusmey said.

Results of the investigation probably will be taken to the Creek County District Attorney's Office, he said.

Lisa STEWART, the daughter of Debra STEWART, said her mother "is doing pretty good. We expect to get her home Saturday" from the hospital.

Her mother was wearing a seat belt, Stewart said, but she did not know why her aunts were not. Debra Stewart is a controller for Keystone Chevrolet in Sand Springs.

Lewis had just completed 30 years as a nursing supervisor at the Sapulpa hospital, said her daughter, Christ STAPLES of Sapulpa.

"It's been really hard" on the families, she said.

Both daughters said their Aunt Sue was a noted dollmaker.

The family will have three funerals to attend in the next four days.

Liles' funeral is at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Smith Funeral Home Chapel in Sapulpa. In addition to her daughter Debra Stewart, she is survived by two sons, William D. McLAUGHLIN and Donald McLAUGHLIN.

Goode's funeral is at 10 a.m. Monday at the First Assembly of God in Sand Springs. Survivors include her husband, Max Goode; two daughters; and one son.

Lewis' funeral is at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Church of the Nazarene in Sapulpa. Survivors include her husband, Carl Lewis; three daughters; and two sons.

Smith Funeral Home is handling all of the arrangements.

Ralph Marler, World staff writer, can be reached at 518-8480 or via e-mail at [email protected]

From "The Tulsa World," Saturday, January 11, 2003

GOODE -- Sue W., 63, died Wednesday, January 8, 2003, member of Miracle of Faith Church. Survived by husband, Max; children, Dennis, Tulsa, Robyn and Samuel Page, Homedale, ID, Donna and Danny Wiggins, Tulsa; brothers, William D. McLaughlin and Donald Eugene McLaughlin; sister, Debbie Stewart; 8 grandchildren. Funeral service 10 a.m. Monday, January 13, 2003, First Assembly of God Church, Sand Springs. Smith, Sapulpa 224-1313.


From "The Tulsa World," Thursday, February 27, 2003
Section A, Page 15

SAPULPA -- A 78-year-old Sapulpa man was charged Wednesday with two counts of negligent homicide in connection with the Jan. 8 traffic deaths of two sisters who were preparing for their mother's funeral.

District Attorney Max Cook filed the misdemeanor counts against Carrol B. McGowan, accusing him of reckless disregard by driving his pickup onto Oklahoma 97 and colliding with the women's vehicle.

McGowan was released on his own recognizance pending his initial court appearance, set for Tuesday.

Wilda Sue Goode, 63, of Tulsa, and Beatrice "Bea" Lewis, 66, of Sapulpa, were in a sport utility vehicle driven by a third sister, Debra Stewart, 43, of Sand Springs.

The sisters had just left Smith Funeral Home in Sapulpa and were en route to make burial arrangements in Sand Springs for their mother, Hazel Bell Liles, 82, who had died earlier that day.

Sapulpa Police Office Fred Clark's affidavit said McGowan pulled onto the highway from Carriage Road, about 96th Street, and collided with the SUV.

The SUV rolled 3 1/2 times. The two sisters who died were ejected. The driver was hospitalized for several days.

Each negligent homicide count carries a punishment of as much as a year in the county jail and a fine of as much as $1,000 upon conviction, Cook said.


From "The Tulsa World," Thursday, January 8, 2004


Use Browser's "Back" Arrow To Return To Previous Page

* * * A QMS Deezyne * * *