From: "HISTORY OF THE MIDDLE FORK" by Frank M. McConnell; "Flashback", a quarterly published by the Arkansas Genealogical Society.
Deen Cemetery is located about a mile southwest of the old Black Oak school building, which is now used for church purposes. Only eight graves are there. This cemetery is surrounded by a good metal fence, placed there by Miss Dora Deen and her sisters, Margie and Edith Deen and Mrs. Ray Larrabee in loving memory of their parents and twin sisters who are buried there.
In this cemetery is a simple marker which reads: "Angus - A Friend - 4-5-1936 - 11-22-1952." Not every dog rates a burial in a good cemetery but this dog was lost and he took up his abode with the Deen sisters and endeared himself to them. He was coal black, as a result of which he drew the name "Angus." Like all older dogs, and some men, his eyesight became dim. A neighbor came by and stopped to talk with the girls. He had permitted himself to become very dirty and filthy and as he "bunkered" down inside the lot fence to continue his talk -- bunkering down to talk being much in style in those days, the dog approached the bunkered-down man thinking he was a stump and that like all stumps he needed some water -- and the reader can take it from there!
There rests in an unmarked grave in the Hazel Valley Cemetery the remains of an early-day star-route carrier lovingly known to virtually everyone as "Fritz." He began talking as soon as he rode within sight and was talking when he rode out of sight, but to stop him between post offices was another matter. He never heard of A B C D (already bungled, counted and delayed) mail.
King Cemetery is located about 1 1/2 miles north of the Black Oak church, on the west side of the road. Here lie the remains of George W. and Tennessee King; James M. and Minerva Simpson Campbell (parents of Frank Campbell); Mr. and Mrs. Thomas M. Munsey (he was killed when his team became frightened and ran away when they heard a shot-gun in the hollow while he was opening a gate); Ben F. Johnson and wife; their daughter Ina Sisk; Joseph and Salina Williams; Clark L. and Polly Ann Burchett; Sam and Julia Williams; Dr. and Mrs. O. L. Wilson; John, Sarah and Frank Sword; Malinda Fletcher; Hugh H. and Effie E. Laymon; E. S. and Nancy E. Lisles; numerous members of the Wood family and others. This cemetery also contains the remains of John Lisenby who was shot at Black Oak.
The Mason family cemetery is located south of the Mason Branch and west of the Black Oak-Sulphur City road, and mostly members of the D. C. Mason family are buried there.
Harris was established by W. A. M. Harris, who was born May 6, 1836 and died Jan. 17, 1898. He was a member of the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Volunteers. He is buried at Mount Salem, and it was he who gave the land for use as a cemetery at Mount Salem. Also buried at Mount Salem are Taylor Harris, S. A. S. Harris, Ben Harris, Rodham C. Horner, Shelby C. Holmes, Robert A. Rutherford, Mary Ann Jones, Mary A. Phillips, Wiley Barnes, Emmit L. Morris, and Wm. Riley Sutton, who died from accidental shooting while hunting.
From Strain one would go east about four miles and north about one mile to the Reed-Colclasure Cemetery. In this cemetery are the remains of Alexander W. and Elizabeth McGarrah Reed and Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Colclasure. The Alexander W. Reed buried there formerly owned the Reed farm southeast of Elkins. The Colclasure is related to Mrs. James Fincher of Black Oak.
Peter Mankins' wife was Narcisus, daughter of Isaac and Rachel Mills. She was born about 1822. Their daughter, Milly Mankins, died Sept. 21, 1861 at age 16. Another wife of Peter Mankins was Esther Hannah Williams, born Sept. 29, 1824 and died May 11, 1900. She was the divorced widow of Thomas I Gilliland. The four are buried at Reese Cemetery.
* * * A QMS Deezyne * * *