Kinsearching December 21, 2008




Marleta Childs
P. O. Box 6825
LUBBOCK, TX 79493-6825

     In the death notices in this week's and next week's Kinsearching columns, readers will observe that many individuals died from influenza or pneumonia, which is often a complication of having the flu. In 1918-1919, one of the worst pandemics (meaning "global epidemics") of influenza, sometimes called the "Spanish flu," occurred. According to THE WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA, an estimated 20 million people succumbed worldwide. More than 500,000 Americans died from the disease.

     Readers will also notice that several individuals died while serving in the military during World War I, also called the "Great War." Sadly, the deaths occurred during the final days of the fighting. World War I ended on 11 November 1918, now known as "Armistice Day."

     The first listing of selected items come from the "Deaths" columns of the 8 Nov 1918 (Vol. XXXIV, No. 12) issue of the Dallas Semi-Weekly Farm News, published in Dallas, TX. Located on page 2, columns 3 and 4, the death notices pertain to individuals who lived in or were from the Lone Star State. (Surnames are capitalized for emphasis.)

     Greenville, Oct. 26 - "P. A. BAUKNIGHT died at his home here yesterday, following an illness of several days. Mr. Bauknight had been a civic leader in Greenville for more than twenty years. He was a deacon in the First Baptist Church and a Mason. The remains will be held until the arrival of a son who is in training for military service and stationed in California.

     McKinney, Oct. 26 - Former Justice of the Peace Thurston BEVERLY of this city died this afternoon about 1 o'clock at Deming, N. M., where he was in the Department of Justice at Camp Cody. He had been ill of pneumonia only a short time. His mother, Mrs. Bettie BEVERLY, who was in San Antonio, went to Deming today. The deceased was a son of the late Judge W. T. BEVERLY of McKinney and a brother of Major Fitzhugh BEVERLY, who is in the service in England.
     (Editor's Note: Located near Deming, NM, Camp Cody was a training camp for members of the Federal National Guard.)

     Whitewright, Oct. 25 - The body of Sam S. CAMERON arrived here from Washington Wednesday and was buried Thursday morning by the Masons of this city. He was an enlisted man in the United States Navy and was the son of W. P. CAMERON of the R. L. Cameron Automobile Company of Dallas. He died on Oct. 19, and is survived by his wife.

     Clifton, Oct. 25 - Dr. Durton R. CARPENTER, aged 30 years, son of Dr. J. C. CARPENTER, died here this morning, after a brief attack of influenza, followed by pneumonia. Last week he was commissioned a First Lieutenant in the Medical Corps and was preparing to leave when stricken ill. His brother, Dr. J. Owen CARPENTER, is a First Lieutenant in the Medical Corps, attached to the Thirty-Sixth Division in France. Another brother, Ensign Homer C. CARPENTER, attached to the navy, reached here today. All business has been suspended for the funeral.

     College Station, Oct. 25 - B. P. DAY, 38 years of age and director of the A. & M. College Band for the last fourteen years, died at the College hospital after a week's illness from pneumonia. He was a native Texan, having been born and reared in Austin County, and his father, the late Dr. E. L. DAY, was for years a prominent physician at Brenham. It was at that city that B. P. Day joined the Texas National Guard and was a member of the Second Infantry Band for nine years. He was regarded as one of the best band instructors and buglers in this section of the country. In addition to his wife and a 12-year-old son, Mr. Day is survived by two brothers, Elisha DAY of Dallas and J. C. DAY of Brenham, and a sister, Mrs. Vendyke WHITE of Dallas. The body has gone forward to Austin, the former home of Mrs. DAY, and the funeral will be held there today.

     Waxahachie, Oct. 31 - Dr. R. E. FRISTOE, aged 65, died last night at San Antonio, where he had gone to visit two sons who are in the army camps. Dr. Fristoe had practiced medicine at Red Oak and Waxahachie for thirty years or more. The body was shipped here for burial. Grosbeck, Oct. 29 - Troy W. HEROD, motor mechanic, United States Army, stationed at Fort Sheridan, Montgomery, Ala., died Sunday afternoon of influenza and pneumonia. The body will arrive in Grosbeck Wednesday afternoon and will be buried at Falkenberry Cemetery."

(To be continued)

Kinsearching Home Page