RELEASE DATE: DECEMBER 28, 2014



KINSEARCHING

by

Marleta Childs
P. O. Box 6825
LUBBOCK, TX 79493-6825
kinsearching@gmail.com
 

     This week we conclude the list of names of members of the Comanche chapter for the years 1878-1879. The data can be found on page 128 of TRANSACTIONS OF THE M. E. GRAND ROYAL ARCH CHAPTER OF TEXAS AT ITS THIRTIETH ANNUAL CONVOCATION HELD AT THE MASONIC TEMPLE, IN THE CITY OF HOUSTON, ON THURSDAY, THE ELEVENTH DAY OF DECEMBER, A. D. 1879, A. I. 2409, AT THREE O’CLOCK P. M., which was published in Houston by W. H. Coyle, Printer and Lithographer, in 1880. (Names of officers in this chapter and other details can be found in “Kinsearching” column dated 26 October 2014.)

     Royal Arch Masons:

BARNES, Wm.

BEEMAN, G. A.

CHIDESTER, J. T.

CORDER, J.

CUNEY, E. J.

FLEMING, M. V.

FRANKLIN, J. J.

FRITS, C. S.

GREEN, J. W.

HOLLAND, R.

JOHNSTON, J. S.

LEE, W. T.

MARTIN, H.

MCDONALD, J. A.

MURPHREE, S. L.

SARTWELL, W. L.

SHROPSHIRE, E. L.

SWITZER, D. S.

WALCOTT, D.

WRIGHT, B. F.

YARBOROUGH, N.

(End)


     If you are tracking kinfolks in the Land of Enchantment, you may find helpful articles in the Southern New Mexico Historical Review. Often the historical articles contain genealogical material. One of the pieces in the January 1994 (Volume 1, Number 1) issue, for example, is “The Archers of the Lower Rio Grande” by Walter P. Archer. Appearing on pages 29-38, the story pertains to the family of Frank and Andora ARCHER, who moved from near Gadsden, Alabama, to the Mesilla Valley of New Mexico in 1920. A son of the couple, Walter tells about his parents and siblings and about his own wife and children.

     On pages 18-20 of the same issue, Theresa Gerend has a short essay about the Mark Thompson house, built in 1909. Thompson and his wife sold the Las Cruces home to David Bronson in 1923.

     Also in the issue is the beginning of John B. Colligan’s multi-part series, “Early Owners of the Nestor Armijo Home.” Appearing on pages 11-17, the first essay about the Las Cruces building is subtitled, “Part 1: The Samaniegos of Sonora.” The author discusses which of the two Mariano Samaniegos, both from Bavispe in Sonora and in the general area of Las Cruces about the same time, was the probable first owner of the property in 1853. “Part III: Maria Osita Carrión and Bradford Daily” can be found on pages 19-28 of the January 1996 (Volume III, Number 1) issue of the periodical, in which Colligan provides data about their backgrounds and family. For instance, Maria, born in 1841 in San Pablo Meoqui, Mexico, was the daughter of Faustino Carrión and his third wife. Bradford, whose surname was also spelled Dailey and Delay, was born in 1827 in Cayuga County, New York.


Kinsearching Home Page