RELEASE DATE: FEBRUARY 22, 2009
P. O. Box 6825
LUBBOCK, TX 79493-6825
Genealogical and historical researchers are being called upon to support a campaign to preserve the Notarial Archives Research Center and its location on the third floor of the Amoco building in New Orleans. Plans to close the Center and move the records where researchers' access to them will be limited are currently under consideration. The Notarial Archives is one of the major resources for research on the Mississippi Valley (French Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, and Indiana), the Gulf Coast (from Pensacola to the Rio Grande), and Louisiana. Its documents pertain to all colonial posts and settlements, not just New Orleans. To preserve the collection and its present location, researchers are being asked to write a letter to Ms. Dale Atkins, Clerk of the Civil District Court, New Orleans Notarial Archives, 1340 Poydras Street, New Orleans, LA 70112. Although "real" letters are more effective than e-mails, researchers can also lend their support by sending messages to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Again we continue the early history of Spur, Texas, as told through selected items from the town's newspaper, The Texas Spur. For background information about this series of articles, see Kinsearching column dated 8 Feb 2009.
Spur, Dickens County, TX
As the first two installments of this series showed, people were gathering and businesses were starting at the Spur townsite before lots went on sale. How did they get there? What types of transportation were available? Apparently, several options were accessible or soon would be. Appearing in the Spur newspaper was an item from Lubbock, Texas, dated Oct. 4 (sic), which concerned the Santa Fe Railroad. It stated..."a line is now being established from Lubbock to Emma and Crosbyton, where it will connect with a line from Floydada and then through to Dickens and Spur, "a new town in Dickens county (sic.)...The line from Lubbock to Spur, Brownfield, and Tahoka will do a regular passenger business." (1 Oct 1909, p. 2, c. 1)
Later that month, the newspaper published information about another railway service. "...effective Oct. 25th, that portion of the Stamford & Northwestern railway between Jayton and Spur will be opened for operation as a part of the Wichita Valley Railway...." (29 Oct 1909, p. 3, c. 3) According to the Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "," http://www.tsahonline.org/handbook/online/articles/SS/hjs24.html (accessed February 6, 2009), the first train on this line passed through Spur's new depot as the town opened on 1 November 1909.
As automobile production increased, the price of a car became affordable to more people. The prospect of owning a self-propelled vehicle was promising. "Julian RUSHING of Plainview, came over to Spur Tuesday in his automobile and after looking over the town decided to return and establish an auto service here at an early date." (12 Nov 1909, p. 2, c. 5)
Horses still performed various chores on West Texas farms and ranches. For some people, riding horses and driving horse-drawn carriages may have remained means of transportation. "Messrs. HASKEW & GREEN are preparing to put in an up-to-date and well equipped livery business in the new town of Spur just as soon as lots, lumber, and carpenters can be secured...." (29 Oct 1909, p. 3, c. 1)
"C. E. WELCH, a saddler, of Abilene, was here last week with a view of locating a saddle and harness business in Spur." (12 Nov 1909, p. 2, c. 4)
"W. H. TEAGUE has moved his blacksmith shop from the Blue Front Stable north one block on Fifth Street, near postoffice building. Horseshoeing and buggy work a specialty." (4 Nov 1910, p. 1, c. 3)
"G. A. HOWSLEY, formerly of Albany, has just completed his new blacksmith shop in Spur and is now doing business...." (4 Nov 1910, p. 1, c. 4)
(To be continued)
Kinsearching Home Page