RELEASE DATE: JANUARY 27, 2013
P. O. Box 6825
LUBBOCK, TX 79493-6825
On 21-22 June 2013, the eleventh annual TOLLIVER family reunion will take place at the Carl D. Perkins Community Center in Morehead, KY. All TOLLIVER/TOLIVER descendants are invited to attend. During the reunion, interested persons will have the opportunity to tour family cemeteries and visit sites of the Tolliver-Martin feud, which occurred between 1884 and 1887.
In addition to exchanging genealogical information, activities will include a talent and hobby show, bingo, a presentation of the “Bloody Rowan” video, a pot-luck lunch, and a silent auction, to which donations are welcomed. Proceeds from the auction are used to support the costs (mailings and building rental, for example) of the reunion.
For more details, go to the website Tolliverfamily.com or write or call Emma Lee Tolliver, 472 E. Torrence Rd., Columbus, OH 43214 (phone 614-267-6556; e-mail ELTI000@aol.com.
Here are a few more selected excerpts that can be found on page 8 of the 27 April 1906 issue of the Texas newspaper, Dallas Semi-Weekly Farm News. Two of the items concern fires, which remain hazards today. The third is an interesting piece about telephones that shows how technology has changed and how it has affected church services. (In the items, surnames are capitalized for emphasis; sometimes spelling may be changed or punctuation may be added for clarity.)
Morgan, Texas, April 24 – “This morning about 10:00 o’clock, fire destroyed a small dwelling belonging to Walker HARDY, also his barn. The house was insured for $300 in the German of Freeport. J. D. WHALEY occupied the house and lost all his furniture. He had no insurance. One of his children, about 3 years old, was badly burned.
While the Hardy house was burning, the dwelling of T. W. HUDDLESTON caught fire from a burning shingle, but was put out without much damage.”
Dallas, April 24 – “Fire gutted the upper story of the two-story brick structure at the northeast corner of Commerce and Field streets yesterday morning. The building belonged to C. A. KEATING and was damaged to the extent of $15,000 or $20,000, it was estimated. Offices of Scruggs & Smith and Smith & Cochran, located in the upper story, were practically destroyed, the total loss amounting to about $8,000 or $10,000. The insurance is not known.
The fire seems to have originated in the western half of the second story, but the flames had burned pretty well over the building before discovered. A passer-by turned in the alarm at Station No. 4 shortly after 4 o’clock and the fire department succeeded in confining the flames to the second story.”
Terrell, April 23 – “The phone service at the Methodist Church was given a practical test yesterday morning and evening. The received, fitted with a huge funnel-like apparatus, was placed in front of the pulpit, just a short distance away from the minister, and it is stated that those having phone connection with the church were able to distinctly hear all of the service without any trouble. Managed CRADDOCK of the local exchange states that 400 people had connection with the church during the morning and evening hours, and that some of those were at points out of town, in the county.”
Kinsearching Home Page