RELEASE DATE: JULY 23, 2017



KINSEARCHING

by

Marleta Childs
P. O. Box 6825
LUBBOCK, TX 79493-6825
kinsearching@gmail.com
 

     Information in overlooked resources, such as occupational publications, may furnish details about where and when professional individuals lived at a specific time and place. Perhaps these miscellaneous items from the June 1929 (Volume 50, Number 3) issue of The Texas Druggist will help family researchers locate their kin in the Lone Star State in the early twentieth century. (Surnames are capitalized for emphasis. Some punctuation may be added or changed for clarity.)

     Page 173 – “E. G. TAYLOR of Winfield is the new pharmacist at the Corner Drug Store at O’Donnell.

     Witt SPRINGER, manager of the City Drug Store at McLean, has placed an order for a new modern...fountain.

     The Miramar Drug and Grocery Store at Galveston, operated by A. P. WILEY, has been sold to Mr. and Mrs. Eugene MOORE.

     O. B. ELLIS, late with the Sulphur Drug Store Co. at Freeport, has gone to Mart, where he has bought an interest in a drug store.

     The Crazy Drug Store at Mineral Wells, owned by J. G. HOLLAND and JIM BOONE, has installed new and larger show windows.

     The drug store of J. A. McQUEEN at Temple was destroyed by fire, March 10th. Between $10,000 and $15,000 is placed as the McQueen loss.

     M. T. RUSSELL, formerly of Enid, Ok., and E. E. CARROLL, formerly of Peoria, Ill., have purchased the stock and fixtures of the Texan Drug Store at Dallas.

     Sister Mary Finian BRADLEY and Sister Rosario TERRY tied for the highest average, 86 2-3 per cent, at a recent examination held by the Texas Board of Pharmacy.

     Dr. Lon BARNES, who recently suffered the loss of his drug store by fire, at Hubbard, has accepted a position with the McReynolds Drug Company at that place.

     The South Texas Drug Co. has opened a jobbing house at Corpus Christi. Richard H. HART is president of the firm; the capital is owned largely by local people.

     The Valley View Drug Store, owned by J. D. LOWE at Valley View, was damaged by fire, Saturday morning, March 16th....

     Raymond E. ADELLS, president of the Majestic Pharmacy, Inc., Travis and Rusk, Houston, has purchased the National Pharmacy, Capitol and Travis. He will operate both pharmacies.

     The new Sam Houston Pharmacy, located in the Sam Houston Hotel at Houston, has opened for business and is one of the most attractive stores in that city. Irving J. HERMAN is proprietor.

     Frank A. WALTERS, proprietor of Walters Pharmacy at San Antonio, received a thirty dollar prize in the Nyal contest for the best article on ‘How I Cashed in on the Nyal Spread in the Saturday Evening Post.’

     A deal has been closed whereby A. D. COBB, Jr., purchased the Blue Bonnet Drug Company at Kerrville from L. C. BERREY, operator of a chain of drug stors in San Antonio. Marshall LEAZEAR will be retained as pharmacist.”

     Page 183 – “The Hotel Drug Store, located in the northeast corner of Fort Mason Hotel in Mason, Texas, is owned and operated by Arch REICHENAN and Roy BRATTON. Both of these young men were reared in Mason and are experienced and efficient business men.

     Dr. Reid HUNT of Boston, Mass., has called the eleventh decennial convention for the revision of the pharmacopoeia (sic) to meet in Washington, D. C., May 13th, 1930. Dr. E. G. EBERLE has been selected by the Executive Committee to represent the Texas Pharmaceutical Association.”

(To be continued)


Kinsearching Home Page