Dea. Joseph BUCKLIN [Parents] was born on 20 Sep 1694 in Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts. He died on 4 May 1776 in Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts. He was buried in Stone-Hammett Lot, Coventry, Kent, Rhode Island. Joseph married (MRIN:1928) Susanna JENCKES in 1717 in Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts.
BIOGRAPHY: Joseph Bucklin 3rd was born on 20 Sep 1694. In 1732, he obtained land, Grist mill, machine shop, at Coventry, Kent County, Rhode Island. He was Deacon in the Baptist Church, in 1759 in Washington, Coventry County, Rhode Island. He had a will on 7 Nov 1774 in Coventry, Kent County, Rhode Island. He died in Rehoboth, Massachusetts on 4 May 1776 . He was buried in 1776 in Stone-Hammett Lot, Coventry, Rhode Island. He was buried in 1776 in Washington, Coventry County, Rhode Island. There is a record of land sold, a grist mill and machine shop by heafter 1776. Joseph's marriage to a member of the Jenks family is significant. The Jencks family owned many of the industries in Rhode Island. Joseph's father in law (William Jenks) was a member of the state Assembly. The Jencks empire started with Joseph Jencks, Jr., who is usually credited with being the first permanent settler at Pawtucket Falls, where he started a mill, a forge, and business to manufacture tools. After this marraige of the Bucklin and Jencks families, the Bucklins often operated mills. In 1732 Joseph purchased 248 acres of land in Washington, Coventry, RI. The land was on a river. Joseph immediately built a grist mill and machine shop, and later had a shop where he manufactured linen and wool goods. Note Joseph's position as the first deacon of the Baptist Church of his town. Many of the early Bucklins were Baptists. At the time of the American Revolution, the main Jencks family had the mill on the West side of the Pawtucket Falls, while James Bucklin, grandson of Joseph Bucklin, 2nd, had his grist mill on the East side of the falls, and Joseph Bucklin 3rd, married to Susanna Jencks, had his grist mill and machine shops in Washington, west of Providence. Parents: Joseph Buckliin , and Mehitable Sabin. Spouse: Susanna Annie Jencks. Joseph Bucklin 3rd and Susanna Annie Jencks were married in 1717 in Rehoboth, Massachusetts. Children were: John Bucklin Capt., Joseph Bucklin 4th, Capt., Zilpha Bucklin, David Bucklin, Esther Bucklin, Jeremiah Bucklin. Spouse: Mary Worden. Joseph Bucklin 3rd and Mary Worden were married on 23 Oct 1737 in Coventry, Kent County, Rhode Island.
OCCUPATION: Joseph 3rd 's marriage to a member of the Jenks family is significant. The Jencks family owned many of the industries in Rhode Island. Joseph's father in law (William Jenks) was a member of the state Assembly. Joseph's brother Benjamin also married a member of the Jenks family, Benjamin's bride being the daughter of "the" Joseph Jencks, Jr. The Jencks' business empire started with Joseph Jencks, Jr., who is usually credited with being the first permanent settler at Pawtucket Falls, where he started a mill, a forge, and business to manufacture tools. The Bucklin family wealth was originally concentrated in land. William Bucklin, the first in the Bucklin line in America, had land in several towns. His son Joseph (1st0 was managing over 1000 acres at the time of his death, including a 400 acre tract north of Providence and most of the 600 acre tract near the Pawtucket falls. Joseph 1st's son Joseph 2nd continued in using land and its produce as the family income. His will shows him as a Yeoman. [In the 1700's the term "yeoman" designated a specific class of society, namely farmers who actually owned their lands. ( In England it signified a free man who had land of the value of forty shillings a year) who were free-men, and were considered next in rank to the gentry. His will also mentions land in several towns. Attleboro, and Pawtucket Falls. But after the marriages of Joseph 3rd and his brother into the Jencks families, the Joseph Bucklin family branch often operated mills. In 1732 Joseph purchased 248 acres of land in Washington, Coventry, RI. The land was on a river. Joseph immediately built a grist mill and machine shop, and later had a shop where he manufactured linen and wool goods. This was at the same period of time when his brother James was enlarging his Bucklin mill and machining operations in Pawtucket. By 1770, Joseph's son John had gone to Adams, MA, where John built and operated mills. At the time of the American Revolution, the main Jencks family had the mill on the West side of the Pawtucket Falls'; James Bucklin, grandson of Joseph Bucklin, 2nd, had his grist mill on the East side of the falls, plus one southward on the "Cove" at the river (operated by his son James,Jr), and Joseph Bucklin 3rd, married to Susanna Jencks, had his grist mill and machine shops in Washington, west of Providence'' and John Bucklin had mills in Adams, MA. The junction of the Road to Boston and the bridge across the river at Pawtucket, where the road led on to Providence, was a good location for merchants. This was Bucklin land from the beginning of the town of Pawtucket. But during his lifetime William gave deeds effective upon his death, dividing his land in thirds. The northerly third went to son Joseph. The middle third to son Benjamin. This middle third contained the falls property. The southerly third went to William's wife as long as she lived, with the land to then go one-half to each of Joseph and Benjamin. Benjamin died before his father, and eventually the heirs of Benjamin grew up and moved out of Pawtucket. In 1696 they sold the northerly half of their land to the Smith family, and the southerly half to Joseph (who had inherited all the land of his mother at her death because of the prior death of Benjamin). Thus the falls area on the east side of the river passed out of the control of the Bucklins into the Smith family. After their 1696 purchase of the land from Benjamin Bucklin's heirs, the Smith family apparently built a Corn (aka Grist) Mill with the help of the Jenks and Slater families who were operating a mill on the other bank of the river. With the exception of the 1/2 of 1/3 of the original William Bucklin 600 acres which passed to the Smith family, the remainder essentially remained in one ownership, from Joseph 1st, to James 1st to James 2nd, and then to James 3rd. James Bucklin 2nd, born 1709 (husband of Mary Fields), recognized the value of turning from agriculture to manufacturing. James 2d in 1747 commenced the purchase of the Smith's Corn Mill on the east side of the Pawtucket Falls in Rehoboth, Province of the Massachusetts Bay. He purchased one-half from Samuel & Experience Smith, one fourth from William Jenks of Providence and the final one-fourth from Ebenezer Jencks of Providence in 1750. His purchase papers show he purchased not only the mill itself on the east side of the river, but also the appropriate river mill rights and the land on the east side of the river. In addition to purchasing the mill and water rights at the falls at Pawtucket, James 2d purchased a tract of land of 200 acres on the entrance of a small river into "The Cove" on the Seekonk River. This new land adjoined the original Bucklin land on the south. Here James 2d built a mill. In this way, James 2d effectively became the owner of all the effective river power on the east side of the Seekonk River. At about the same time, James 2nd's cousin Joseph Bucklin 3rd (1694-1776) was smitten with the same idea of to buy more land for mill purposes. This idea may have originated because Joseph Bucklin 3rd married to the daughter of William Jencks, the family with the Jenck's mill and businesses on the west side of the river. It would be speculation, since there is no documentary evidence, but it would seem that the Bucklins, who until that time used their land for agricultural income, received technical advice from the Jencks. (Joseph 3rd's father in law was the same William Jencks who was a part owner of the mill on the east side of the river and sold it to James 2nd.) Joseph Bucklin 3rd left the land he owned adjacent to the newly purchased mill land of James 2nd (selling his Pawtucket area land to James 2nd) and went west 16 miles to buy land on a river south of the so-called Hope Furnace operation of the Jencks and Browns. This land, in Coventry, Rhode Island was used by Joseph Bucklin 3rd to build a mill used both for corn grinding and also manufacturing. Joseph Bucklin 3rd, who died in 1776, was the father of Joseph Bucklin 4th, (1730 - 1790), the prominent merchant of Providence. This explains why before he was 29 years old Joseph Bucklin 4th had cash enough to buy substantial land, and a ship, and operate a merchant business in Providence. It might be noted that because of the Jencks family mill ownership and the Bucklin family ownerships, at the start of the Revolutionary War, the few river mills in Rhode Island capable of doing manufacturing, and thus being able to mill iron rifle barrels or such, were effectively concentrated in the Bucklin and Jencks families. Other than the mill property owned by his brother John, James Bucklin 3rd held all the land on the east side of the falls. Unfortunately, in about 1791, he died unexpectedly at age 48, leaving a large family. The widow sold the land at auction, and it was broken up into several parcels which became the sites of new power loom factories of the new cloth manufacturing industry. This auction was the end of the large contiguous Bucklin land holdings in Pawtucket. In July of 1792, Oziel Wilkinson, one-third owner of the Slater Mill on the west side of the river property and water rights, and Almy Brown and Slater, owners of the other two-thirds, obtained financing from Moses Brown, and initiated the construction of a dam spanning the width of the Blackstone River upstream from Pawtucket Falls. Slater had recognized the value of building a dam upstream of the falls and diverting a more powerful stream of water (because of the greater height the water would fall before it hit his water wheel) into a new channel to be used only for the mill operations on their (west) side of the river. The Wilkinson/Brown/Slater combination purchased some appropriate rights from the Bucklins on the other side of the river to build their dam (see Note 4, below) and attach it to the land there, but did not purchase any rights from the Bucklins downstream who were at the main falls. Present day view of the dam. Slater Mill on the right. The church on the east side of the river stands on land of the Bucklins in 1772. Although the dam inspired admiration, it also created resentment from others who had water powered machinery at the main falls . On August 31, 1792, John Bucklin, and blacksmiths Stephen and Benjamin Jenks partially destroyed the dam. All three men asserted they had water privileges at the main falls downstream and complained that the dam construction diminished available water power. They all admitted their guilt but justified their actions by claiming water rights to the dam below. A legal battle followed. Bucklin won. Even before the case was heard, Moses Brown financed the rebuilding of the Slater Mill dam. In response Bucklin built a diversionary dam wing into the river, below the Slater Mill dam and above the falls, with a channel to run water to his mill. - Familysearch.org
BURIAL: Deacon Joseph Bucklin in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Name:Deacon Joseph Bucklin
Death Date:4 May 1776
Burial or Cremation Place:Coventry, Kent County, Rhode Island, United States of America
Source Information: Ancestry.com. U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.
Original data: Find A Grave. Find A Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi.