Original 1797 Map of Prestonsburg
The First Plan of Prestonsburg
The following is an accurate copy of the official record relative to the location of the city of Prestonsburg. As indicated below, this is a copy of the first record, which was lost when the first Floyd County Courthouse burned. The original spelling and punctuation have be retained. This survey was made originally on May 3, 1797, while the Big Sandy Valley was a part of Mason County. John Graham was at this time a Deputy Surveyor of Mason County, Living near Prestons Station, which later became Prestonsburg:
Deed Book "A" Page 166
A plan of a Town laid of on the north side
Sandy River opposite the mouth of middle Creek, and to be known by the name of
Prestonsburg as surveyed May 3rd 1797, by direction of Mayor Andrew Hood,
Matthias Harman and Solomon Stratton Agents for the adventurers on Sandy under
Col. John Prestons Grant. The Town is divided into two parts, the upper or
that which lies above the branch consists of 24 half acre lots the streets is 33
feet in width, running with 35 (degrees) West along the river and the cross
Streets North 55 (degrees) East bye lots are 444 poles in front and 18 poles in length.
There is also surveyed adjoining said Town 30 five acre lots in peralelograms
the same direction with the streets and are of the following Dimensions.
No. 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 are 86.86 9.21 Poles No. 7,8,9,10 and 11 are 72.36 by
11.05 poles. No. 12, 13, 14 are 75 by 10.68 poles. No. 15 is 100 by
8 poles. No. 16 is 91 by 8.79 poles. No. 17 is 82 by 9.75
poles. No. 18 is 100 by 8 poles. No. 19 is 88 by 9.49 poles.
No. 3, 4, 5, 6 is 60 by 13.32 poles, No. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 is 40 by 20 poles, and
there is 14 half acre lots on the River side of the main street And a Twenty
Acre lot on the upper end of the Town.
Over time, I would like to identify who lived on each lot.