of Church and Graveyard
Index to MI's
Memorial inside the Church
Church Lane, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire
is believed that a
place of worship has existed on the site currently occupied by
St.John's Church, for over a thousand years but the first mention of
Knaresborough Parish Church appears in the records of Nostell Priory
near Wakefield. This states that in the year 1114 King Henry I granted
the "Church at Cnaresburgh" to the canons at Nostell. The church was
originally dedicated to St.Mary and held that name until the Protestant
reforms of the 16th century when it became the Church of St.John the
Following the Scottish raid in 1318, the church fell into a dilapidated
state and in 1328 the then king, Edward III honey-mooning with his
young bride Philippa in Knaresborough, promised her that he would
arrange the reconstruction of the church. Queen Philippa took a
considerable interest in the restoration work and in particular, in the
re-designing of the St.Edmund's Chapel, then St.Edmund's Chantry. It is
not known exactly when the restoration work began and ended but
throughout this period and during the Black Death in 1349, the
townsfolk had the support of Queen Philippa who was often in residence
in the castle. Philippa died in 1369 and her devotion to the town of
Knaresborough and the church, was long remembered by the people and the
church became known as the Queen's Church.
were first hung in 1774 and the present clock was installed in 1884.
The face carries St.Paul's phrase, "redeeming the time" and the
exterior view from the north side shows the gargoyles and turret
stair-way up the tower which is mainly late 12th century. The
churchyard was landscaped in 1973 and many of the gravestones can be
seen around the immediate area of St.John's.
"The Queen's Church -
The Story of Knaresborough Parish Church" by Arnold Kellett, first
published in 1978 by the Friends of Knaresborough Parish Church.
Harrogate : Brearton : St John the Baptist
Knaresborough : Holy Trinity
: Goldsborough : St Mary
Knaresborough Parish Records are now lodged at
North Yorkshire Archives
The County Record Office
Telephone: 01609 777585
Fax: 01609 777078
Deposited Registers (NYRO, microfilm only)
Baptisms: Registers with incumbent (Microfilm 1561-1933)
Marriages: Registers with incumbent (Microfilm 1561-1912)
Burials: Registers with incumbent (Microfilm 1561-1958)
1670, 1674, 1675, 1679-1682, 1684, 1686-1688, 1690, 1691, 1696,1698,
1699, 1702, 1705-1718, 1721, 1723, 1725-1728, 1731-1738, 1740-1933 (All
at WYAS, Leeds, plus one other, undated, c. 1670)
C 1670-1764, 1765-1778, 1819-1833, 1835-1839;
M 1670-1764, 1765-1778, 1819-1833, 1835-1836
From "Kelly's West Riding
The parish church of St. John the Baptist, originally dedicated to the
Blessed Virgin, is an ancient and spacious cruciform building of stone,
principally in the Perpendicular style with some remains of Early
English, and consists of chancel, with north and south chantry chapels,
nave of four bays, aisles, transepts, south porch and a central tower
with four pinnacles and a spire, containing a clock and 8 bells, recast
and increased from four to 8 in 1774.
The Slingsby chapel on the north
side of the chancel contains a number of monuments to the Slingsby
family, baronets of Scriven. In the centre of the chapel is a fine
altar tomb with recumbent effigies in Caen stone, erected in 1602 by
Henry Slingsby, their son, of Francis de Slingsby obit 4th August 1600
and Mary (Percy) his wife obit 1598. There is also a memorial to Thomas
Slingsby buried 10th February 1670, and on the south side, within a
monumental niche, is a standing figure of Sir William de Slingsby Kt.
Commissioner General obit August 1604. On the north side is an effigy
in Roman costume of Sir Henry de Slingsby Kt. high-sheriff 1611-12 obit
17th December 1654, and on the floor, a slab of black marble inscribed
to Sir Henry de Slingsby Bt., of Nova Scotia, author of 'A Diary of
Events 1638-48' who was beheaded 8th June 1658, for attempting to
restore Charles II.
There is a mural monument of white marble to
Dorothy (Craddock) wife of Sir Thomas Slingsby Bart, obit 24th January
1673, and another altar tomb with a fine marble effigy of Sir Charles
Slingsby 10th and last baronet who died 4th February 1869, erected by
his sister Emma Louisa Catherine Slingsby.
The Roundell chapel on the
south side of the chancel, was restored in 1875, and a stained window
erected by William Roundell Esq., in memory of his parents and brother
There are also stained windows to the Rev. James Fawcett, a
former vicar, and to the Powell, Beaumont, and Shaw families. There is
one at the east end to the memory of Hugh G. Christian Esq., of Fysche
Hall. The stained west window is a memorial to the late Sir Charles
The church was thoroughly repaired and reseated in 1872,
when the reredos was presented by a member of the Collins family.
font is perpendicular, and has a carved oak cover of Jacobean date.
new organ has been provided at a cost of £1,100.
sittings for 600 persons.
The register dates from the year 1560, and is
in good condition.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value
£430, including 150 acres of glebe, with residence, in the
of the Bishop of Ripon, and held since 1888 by the Rev. William Edward
Hancock M.A., of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, Hon Canon of Ripon and Rural
Dean of Knaresborough. The appropriate tithes amounting to
belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and lessees.
(Transcribed by Alan Longbottom)
back to home-page