Abbey Dore: Llyncoed Grange
Dore Abbey was founded in 1147, its mother-house being the abbey of Morimond in France. More information about the abbey is available either from this guide website, which has pictures and general information (but is slow to load), or from this more academic website, concerned with the Cistercians in general.
The basic unit of exploitation in Cistercian lands was the grange, a model farm in those days. Ideally it had an oratory, accommodation for the resident conversi (lay brethren), and the necessary barn, stable and animal sheds. The Cistercians were famed for the quality of wool that they produced, so sheep-rearing was probably an important part of their agricultural activities.
Llyncoed (later Campston) Grange was sited well up the Troddi brook and stretched from the head of the Troddi to the Grosmont - L1anfihangel road. Although it is probably from this grange that the parish of Llangattock Lingoed derives the second part of its name, only the part that later became Little Campstone farm is actually in the parish. It was granted to Dore by Henry II and confirmed by Hubert de Burgh (as lord of the Three Castles) in about 1230, for the purpose of sustaining four priest-monks who would sing masses for the souls of the Monarch, his ancestors, and of de Burgh, in the abbey church. The grant enumerates its bounds, which enclosed 443 acres of tithe-free land. In 1232 it was again confirmed to the abbey by Henry III. Later, Adam Vaughan gave Dore other land at Llyncoed, adjacent to the road from Michaelston (Llanfihangel Crucorney).
In addition to the lands of the grange itself, they were given other valuable privileges. Hubert de Burgh granted pasture in forest and field on Grosmont Hill for their flocks, oxen, cows, and pigs, enough to sustain their grange of Llyncoed. They were also allowed pannage for not more than fifty pigs. In 1232 they also secured timber rights: for making their buildings in the grange of Llyncoed they may take all that is really necessary in the view of the foresters, in Grosmont Forest, and dead wood for fuel.
However, Dore was not a particularly prosperous abbey. It is known that by 1488 Llyncoed was no longer used by the monks, but had been demised.
By 1545, following Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries, the Crown had demised or sold much of the former monastery lands and Llyncoed came in to the possession of John Cokkes (Bradney has this as John Cooke, of London). It was described as having been "late in the occupation of Roger ap David and Margaret his wife.
In 1734 Little Campston farm, but no other part of the former grange, was part of the property mortgaged by James Tudor Morgan to Bridget Hanbury, but in 1843 it was owned by Thomas Tudor, who was also the owner of the remainder of the grange. It was sold off in lots in 1901.
Llanfair Cilgoed Grange
Dore Abbey had two granges in the vicinity of Llangattock Lingoed. One, Llanfair Cilgoed was just outside the parish boundary, but it is interesting because it is still possibly to identify some of its remains. This website gives some information on what can be seen.