Manorial Records

It seems likely that the coastal region of southern Gwent was under a Saxon lord before the Conquest, but the main Norman incursion was probably around 1093-96 in the reign of William Rufus. It is at this time that Hamelin de Ballon became the first lord of Abergavenny. It is likely that the more important families, freemen landholders, transferred their allegiance to the new lord. The manor was held in demesne: such lands, according to Rees, "usually originated as the private lands of the conquered Welsh chieftain". The manor, and newly-created ecclesiastical parish, of Llancadoc was on the eastern boundary of the lordship; further east was Grosmont, which was eventually merged into the lordship of Monmouth and Three Castles, under direct royal control.

Abergavenny lordship leases

Ministers' Return 1256-57

The earliest surviving record is of the ministers accounts the manor of Llancadoc for the period September 8 1256 to September 8 1257. The accounts come in two parts, the first dealing with cash and the second with produce and payments in kind.

FULL TRANSCRIPTION


Inquisitions Post Mortem: Laurence de Hastings 1348 and his widow Agnes 1368

(Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem Vol. IX, p.117, p.127; Vol. XII, p.201)

On November 16 1348 Edward III made an order “to deliver to Agnes late the wife of Laurence de Hastynges [among a number of other places] the town of Michael, Lancadok and Lyncoyd Capella, Killitha”.

(Calendar of Close Rolls 1346-49, p.575)

An entry for April 28 1349 again records an “order to deliver to Agnes late the wife of Laurence de Hastynges [among a number of other places] Michaelstone [villa Michaelis], Lancadok and Lyncoyd-Chapel, Killitha”.

(Calendar of Close Rolls 1349-54, p.17)

In 1397, Philippa, the widow of Laurence de Hastings' grandson, John, was granted by Richard II her late husband's possessions, including "the tenants of Llancaddock by [iuxta] Llincoed", "as fully as John de Hastynges, lord of Bergavenny, held the same".

(Calendar of the Close Rolls 1396-99, p.181)

 

Ministers' Account 1512-13

 

Rental, Lordship of Abergavenny 1586

 

Rental, Lordship of Abergavenny 1627

 

Rental, Lordship of Abergavenny 1661-62

 

Terrier 1701-02

There are two books of manorial accounts dating from around 1700. The most useful is a terrier, that is a register of the estate, of 1702, which gives greater detail of holdings. It is clear from a rent-roll of the previous year that some of the details of ownership and possession had changed from those given in the leases and these changes have been included {in curly brackets}. Unfortunately, the locations of the various properties are not clearly indicated — the phrase "by meares and boundes there well knowne" occurring several times.

There are separate listings of those leasing land from the Lord of Abergavenny, the lord of the manor, (including land in the "antient Parke called Parke Lyngoed") and those who owned their land, but paid quit rent or chief rent in lieu of feudal services. This latter group included those who were socially superior: the major ones, in terms of value, being Charles Morgan, William Powell and James Morgan — of Great House, Pool Hall and Old Court respectively (though these names, apart from Pool Hall, are not used in the document). All three, together with Phillip Cecill, who owned dwellings rather than farmland, are accorded the title of "Esquier". At the next level are three "gentlemen": Thomas Davies "of Langattock Lyngoed" (probably the grandfather of James Davies), William Pritchard and William Price, whose holdings are smaller and of lesser value. Further down the social scale, again, are those described as "yeoman": Charles Thomas, Lewis William and William Watkins. Those who leased land are not generally given a title, but some were clearly farmers of substance. Chief among them are Arnold ab Arnold of Llanvihangel Crucorney, John Powell of Landillo Pertholy, Henry John Rosser of Landillo Pertholy, John Arnold and Elizabeth Nicholas "of the parish of Lanvihangell widow".

MORE DETAILS

Court Book, Lordship of Abergavenny 1816-17

 


Last updated August 2007