Last Update 4/21/2008
1. Alfred Burton "Bert" MAYS son of Columbus Franklin Mays and Anna Rebecca Payne was born on 3 Jun 1901 in Buffalo Cove, Caldwell Co, NC. He died12 on 1 Jul 1976 in Granite Falls, Caldwell Co, NC. The cause of death was Heart Attack. He was buried in Oak Grove Baptist Church, Granite Falls, Caldwell Co, NC. SSN 238-10-4607. Fathers name on death certificate is wrong. My grandmother Robinar C Hoyle Mays mistakenly gave the wrong name.
The morning of Jul 1 1976 my grandmother, Robnar Clementine Hoyle Mays got up to make breakfast as she did every morning. She made breakfast and then went in to wake my grandfather. He was dead. He had died during the night. Robnar said he always shaved in the morning but the night before he went to bed, he had shaved.
Alfred and Robnar Hoyle Mays
Alfred married13 Robinar Clementine HOYLE daughter of Julius Pinkney HOYLE and Barbara Caroline SMITH on 19 Jan 1921 in Caldwell Co, NC. Robnar was born on 13 Dec 1898 in Caldwell Co, NC. She died14Death Certificate on 15 Oct 1979 in Catawba County, NC. She was buried in Oak Grove Baptist Church, Granite Falls, Caldwell Co, NC. SSN 237-24-9572
Alfred B Mays and Robnar C Hoyle house, Granite Falls, Caldwell Co, NC.
Alfred and Robnar lived in Caldwell Co, NC and moved to Brookford, Catawba Co, NC and in their later years moved back to Granite Falls, Caldwell Co, NC.
Alfred and Robnar Hoyle Mays
Julius Hoye and Barbara Smith. Photo provided by my Mother, granddaughter of Julius and Barbara.
Alfred Burton Mays and Robinar C Hoyle Mays Headstone.
Alfred "Burt" and Robnar had the following children:
Alfred, Rhondle, Leonard, Marie, Myrtle, Wilma and Pearl.
2. Alfred Pinkney Mays born 22 Nov 1921. Died 12 Feb 1988. Married Virginia Kiser and Secondly Anne Vanessa Unknown. Alfred and Anne are buried at Sunset Hills Cemetery, Granite Falls, Caldwell Co, NC.
3. Rhondle Henry Mays born 10 Jul 1925 and died 11/16/2007.
HICKORY - Rhondle Henry Mays, 82, of Twentieth Street in Hickory, died at his residence Friday, Nov. 16, 2007. Born July 10, 1925, he was the son of Bert and Robena Clemintine Hoyle Mays. He worked in the trucking industry for many years. He is survived by his wife, Betty Grant Mays of the home; two daughters, Miki Mays of Hickory and Luann Mays Neal of Wingate; three sons, Michael Mays of Claremont and Mark Mays and Richard Mays, both of Hickory; three sisters, Myrtle Kaylor and Wilma Hollar, both of Myrtle Beach, S.C., and Pearl Truesdale of Vale; a brother, Leonard Mays of Granite Falls; six grandchildren, Michael L. Mays, Melissa Huffman, Scott Mays, Misty Mays, Kevin Mays and Shelby Mays; and nine great-grandchildren. The funeral will be held at 2:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 19, 2007, at Hillside Baptist Church in Brookford, with the Rev. David Crump officiating. Burial will follow in Catawba Memorial Park with military honors. The family will receive friends from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Monday at the church.
4. Annie Marie Mays born 20 Jun 1927 and died 29 May 1998. Buried Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery, Granite Falls, Caldwell Co, NC.
5. Thad W Mays deceased. Died 7 Aug 1929. Buried Zion Baptist Church, Sawmills, Caldwell Co, NC.
6. Living Female Mays born 1930.
7. Living Female Mays. Married A. D. Kaylor born 25 Oct 1918, Caldwell Co, NC. Died Oct 1983. Buried Catawba Memorial Park, Catawba Co, NC. Married secondly to Fred Lilley. Poem.
7. Living Female Mays born 27 Jun 1934, Caldwell Co, NC.
9. Living Male Mays born 15 Mar 1936, Caldwell Co, NC.
10. Floyd Hill Carter Mays born 1938 and died 4 Aug 1938. Buried Zion Baptist Church, Sawmill, Caldwell Co, NC.
2. Alfred Pinkney Mays born 22 Nov 1921. Died 12 Feb 1988. Married first to Eutha Virginia Kiser Alfred is buried at Sunset Hills Cemetery, Granite Falls, Caldwell Co, NC.
Alfred and Virginia's children:
2A. Living Male Mays born 8 Jan 1942.
2B. Judy Mae Mays born 25 Dec 1942. Died 1 Dec 1998, Lincoln Co, NC. Married Floyd Odell Hopper and secondly to a Bryant.
2C. Living Female Mays born 9 Sep 1945.
2D. Thomas Ervin Mays born 12 Apr 1947 and died 10 Mar 1973, Caldwell Co, NC. Buried Sunset Hills Cemetery, Caldwell Co, NC. ** Note ** Thomas' date is wrong on Stone. Thomas Ervin Mays Obit.
2E. Living Male Mays born 5 Oct 1948.
6. Living Female Mays born 1930. Married Fred Eulan Warren. Photo is wedding day. Married secondly 15 Oct 1976, New Hanover Co, NC to Kenneth Lamar Hollar born 15 Jul 1931 and died 28 mar 1985, Buried Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Catawba Co, NC.
6A. Living Male Warren.
6B. Living Male Warren born 16 Oct 1948.
6C. Living Male Warren born 14 Mar 1952.
6D. Living Male Warren born 18 Oct 1954.
7. Living Female Mays. Married in 1949 to A. D. Kaylor born 25 Oct 1918, Caldwell Co, NC. Died Oct 1983. Buried Catawba Memorial Park, Catawba Co, NC. A D's Obit. Married secondly to Fred Lilley.
Living Mays and A D Kaylor had the following children:
7A. Daniel Ritchie Kaylor born 12 Sep 1949 and died 4 Nov 1990, Forsyth Co, NC. Buried at Fairview Cemetery, Catawba Co, NC. Ritchie's Obit.
7B. Living Kaylor born 21 Feb 1952.
7C. Living Kaylor born 16 may 1964.
Daughter-in-law of 2A.
Kimberly Rae Kirby Mays 35 of Fairway Dr., Conover, died Friday April 18, 2008. Born August 17, 1972 she was the daughter of Barbara Jean Stewart Kirby of Conover and the late Kimble Rogers Kirby. She was a friend to many with a loving heart, an avid race fan and loved the beach and boating.
In addition to her mother, Barbara, she is survived by her husband, Jeffery Lynn Mays of the home; a brother, Pastor K. Ryan Kirby and wife Cynthia of Conover, a sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Pastor Rita and Bob Pritchard of Conover; her maternal grandmother, Nannie Lee Stewart of Newton; and many nieces and nephews.
A Celebration of Kimís life will be 4:00p.m. Tuesday April 22, 2008 at Jenkins Funeral Home Chapel with Bishop Wade Danner and Pastor Arthur Propst officiating. Burial will follow in Conover Cemetery. The family will receive friends Monday April 21, 2008 from 6-8:00p.m.at the funeral home.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Kim Mays Memorial Fund, 1918 Prestige Heights Dr., Conover, NC 28613. Condolence messages may be sent to www.jenkinsfuneralhome.net. The Mays family has entrusted arrangements to Jenkins Funeral Home and Cremation Service in Newton