Madison Wayne Mays
Thanks for all the grave photos. By the time I posted them, I have forgotten who sent them. So Thank YOU!
Madison Wayne Mayse was the son of Larkin Benjamin Mays and Edith Stansbury.
Madison Wayne MAYSE was born on 26 Mar 1816 in NC. He died 29 Sep 1899, Shelby Co, IN. Buried Jackson Twp, Shelby Co, NC.
Obit for Madison Mayse :Name - Madison W. Maze Age - 85 years Died - Sept. 29, 1899 Jackson Township Buried - Roberts Chapel Source: 1899 Semi-weekly Republican; Huff, Barbara; 48
Madison married1 (1) Sarah "Sally" STINE on 27 Jul 1835 in Monore Co, Indiana. Sally was born on 17 Dec 1811 in NC. She died before 1855.
Madison and Sally had the following children:
1. Peter MAYSE was born on 12 Mar 1838. He died on 26 Apr 1903.
2. Elmira Jeals MAYSE was born in Feb 1847 in Indiana.
3. Eliza J MAYSE was born on 10 May 1837. She died on 20 Feb 1920.
There is possibly more children of Madison W Mays and Sally Stine. As of now, I have NOT found them.
Madison married (2) Nancy TULEY on 31 Jul 1855 in Owen Co, Indiana. Nancy was born in 1837 in Indiana. She died on 11 Apr 1917 in Jackson, Shelby Co, IN.
In 1900 Nancy lived with daughter Nancy D Gerrard and husband William Gerrard in Jackson, Shelby Co, IN.
Madison and Nancy had the following children:
4. Nancy Drusilla MAYSE born in 1857.
5. Srepta "Jane" MAYSE was born on 27 Sep 1859. She died on 13 Jun 1933.
6. Martha Delena MAYSE was born about Apr 1863 in IN.
7. Mary A MAYSE born in 1861 in Indiana.
8. Elizabeth Fidella MAYSE was born on 8 Feb 1865 in Indiana.
9. Minerva Rosetta MAYSE born Sep 1867 Indiana.
10. William A MAYSE born Jan 1874 in Indiana.
1. Marriage-Indiana Marriages thru 1850.
2. Marriage -MARRIAGES 1850-1920.
3. 1900 Census. Washington Twp, Owen Co, IN.
4. Marriage Book 28 Page 78,
1. Peter MAYSE (Madison Wayne) was born on 12 Mar 1838 in IN. He died on 26 Apr 1903 in IN. He was buried in Old Dutch Church Cemetery Monroe Co Ind.
Peter married Effarilla CARR in 1862 in IN. Effarilla was born on 5 Aug 1832 in IN. She was buried in Old Dutch Church Cemetery Monroe Co Ind.
Peter and Effarilla Carr Mayse had the following children:
1.1 Sarah MAYSE born in 1862 in Indiana.
1.2 Emma MAYSE born in 1866 in Indiana.
1.3 William L MAYSE born in Aug 1872 in IN.
In 1880 Peter and his family lived at Bean Blossom, Monroe Co, IN
In 1900 Peter and his family lived at Richland Twp, Monroe Co, IN household # 258/258
2.Elmira Jeals Mayse(Madison Wayne Mayse) married Albert E Chambers on 5 Nov 1884, Owen Co, IN.
Found her name on a marriage transcription but husband was not listed or date. Father and Mother was Wayne and Sally Stine Mays. She was listed as 39 years old. Owen Co, Indiana.
Mays Jeals Elmira Wayne Sallie Stine F W 39 (???) -- (???) C-40 76
3.Eliza J Mayse (Madison Wayne Mayse)was born 10 May 1837, IN and died 20 Feb 1920, Lafayette, Indiana. Eliza married Robert Smith on 10 Jun 1858, Owen Co, IN.
4.Nancy Drusilla MAYSE (Madison Wayne) born in 1857 in Indiana.
Nancy married William GERRARD on 14 Jun 1898 in Shelby Co, IN. William was born in 1857 in Ohio. According to the 1910 census Nancy and William adopted a child named Mary born 1903 IN.
5. Srepta "Jane" MAYSE(Madison Wayne Mayse) was born was born on 27 Sep 1859 in IN and died on 13 Jun 1933,Johnson Co, IN. Serepta married Stephen Daniel Keller on 22 Feb 1881, Shelby Co, IN. Serepta and Stephen had 9 Children. (Info below starting with 5.1)
Srepta Jane Mayse Obit: "Obituary from the Franklin Democrat Friday 15 Jun 1933. Serepta Jane Keller age 73 died at the home of daughter, Mrs. William Hendrickson on south Kyle St. Edinburgh Tuesday morning at 1 :30 am. Mrs. Keller was born 27 Sep 1859 the daughter of Madison and Nancy Tully Maze. The surviving relatives are seven children: George Keller, Mrs. William Hendrickson, Homer and Landy Keller of Edinburgh, Walter, of Indianapolis. Harvey of Bargersville, and Vern of Indianapolis. Twelve grandchildren, other relatives and many friends."
Srepta Jane Mayse married John H Keller on 2 Dec 1920, Shelby Co, IN. John was born 8 Feb 1859. John was the brother of Stephen Daniel Keller.
Srepta, John and Stephen are all buried at Rest Haven Cemetery, Johnson Co, IN.
6. Martha Delena MAYSE(Madison Wayne Mayse) was born about Apr 1863 in IN. She died 15 May 1925, IN. Martha married Louis McCalip in 1901. 1910 Census shows Martha as having been married 3 times. Louis McCalip was born 1865, IN. He died 15 July 1929, IN. Then 1910 Census shows Martha as being the mother of 0 children. I don't know if she had any children during any of her 3 marriages.
7. Mary Alice MAYSE (Madison Wayne Mayse) born in 21 Oct 1860 in Indiana. Mary married William McLellan "Mack Scott" in 1888, IN. Mary died 2 Nov 1931, Bartholomew Co, IN. William died 23 May 1930, Bartholomew Co, IN. Mary and Mack had one son Avery Scott born 1 Jan 1889, and died 6 Nov 1942, Bartholomew Co, IN. Avery Married Mary L Drake born 22 Feb 1890 and died 16 Mar 1975. All are buried at Flat Rock Cemetery, Bartholomew Co, IN.
8.Elizabeth Fidella MAYSE was born on 8 Feb 1865 in Indiana. She died on 26 May 1910 in Jackson, Shelby Co, IN. She was buried in Patterson Cemetery, Shelby Co, IN. Elizabeth Fidella "Della" Mayse married William Patterson 1 Jan 1884, Shelby Co, IN.
Elizabeth Fidella Mayse Obit: Patterson, Mrs. Elizabeth: May 26, 1910 news taken from Sat. Daily Age: 45 years 3 months 18 days husband: William Patterson Died at home in Jackson Twp. Mother: Mrs. Nancy Mayes of Jackson Twp. 5 Sisters: Mrs. William Girard of Jackson Twp., Mrs Mack Scott, Mrs. George Gundrum, Washington Twp, Mrs. Stephen Keller, Barthlomew Co. & Mrs. Louis McCalip of Johnson County Brother: William Mayes of Indpls. Buried: Patterson Cemetery Date of Death: May 1910 Source: 1910 Shelby Democrat; Mohr, Linda; 16
9. Minerva Rosetta MAYSE (Madison Wayne Mayse) born Sep 1867 Indiana. She married Harry George Grundrum in 1885, IN.
10. William A MAYSE William was living with his sister Minerva Rosetta Grundrum in 1900 his wife was not listed in this household.
Indiana Census 1910 for some of Madison Wayne Mayse descendants
5.1 William D Keller born 13 Nov 1881, IN. He died 2 Jul 1911,Bartholmew Co, IN. Buried beside his father and step-father(uncle)at Rest Haven Cemetery, Johnson Co, IN.
5.2 George Arthur Keller born 20 July 1883, IN. He died 18 Feb 1950, New Castle, Henry Co, IN. George married twice. First to Edna Estella Myers and Secondly to a woman named Alta.
Notes for George Keller: George died in the New Castle county home infirmary, Coll funeral Home was in charge of the funeral. He is buried in East Cemetery, Dublin, IN. Survivors listed by funeral home are: wife, Alta B Keller, brothers: Vernon, Omer, Landy and Walter. Sister, Minnie Hendrickson. Cause of death: Spinal Syphillis.
George seemed to have problems with the law. George along with his brother Omer was in Prison several times. At age 50 he was sentenced from 3 - 10 years in the state prison at Michigan City and received a 1 - 10 year sentence for larceny. George was described as a tall, slender dark man with a heavy black beard. He informed the Judge that this would be his fourth trip to a state institution. He said he had served time twice before for stealing chickens and once for stealing a horse.
In the Shelbyville Democrat, 23 JUL 1921, George was shot twice in an attempt to arrest him. One bullet lodged at the base of his neck and the other grazed his right limb. About 20 shots were fired at him as he fled from the officers almost surrounding the house. He ran through a cornfield, a truck, garden and an orchard and finally reached the thicket which was similar to the one where he had hidden Thursday night and escaped the officers. Keller was also charged with the theft of a buggy wheel owned by Roy Weinantz of Washington Township.
5.3 Walter Roy Keller born 25 Feb 1885, In. Walter died 21 Apr 1967, Noblesville, Hamilton Co, IN.
Walter died at Riverview Hospital, Noblesville, IN. Burial at Brookside Cemetery of Lapel, IN . Funeral Home Fisher Brothers of Lapel. Their funeral records list Father, Stephen Keller & Mother, Jane Maze. Occupation shoe repair. Informant Orville Keller of RR1 Muncie, IN
Cause of death: cerebrouescular stroke Medical information: hypertension, diabetes mellitis.
5.4 Minnie Keller born 6 Jan 1887, IN. Died 23 May 1965, Franklin, IN. Buried Rest Haven Cem, Johnson Co, IN. Minnie Married John T Jorden on 31 Jul 1901, Shelby Co, IN. Secondly to William Henderickson on 21 Dec 1915, Bartholmew Co, IN.
5.5 Harvey Earl Keller born 1890, IN. Harvey married Edna Dehart on 4 Sep 1911, IN.
5.6 Vernon Keller born 1892, IN. Died 1985, Marion Co, IN. Married Grace Orr and secondly to Hilda Sevedge.
5.7 Omer Keller born 1894, IN.
5.8 Landy Oscar Keller born 3 Feb 1895, IN. Died 19 Mar 1963, IN. Buried Rest Haven Cem, Johnson Co, IN. Married Helen Hupp on 8 Jul 1920, Johnson Co, IN.
Landy was in the Army medics during World War I, his parents Stephen Keller & Serepta Jane Maze. He lived at 808 Holland St, Edinburgh, IN. Died at General Hospital Indpls, In. Brothers : Walter, Vern, Homer, Wiley, Harve & George all Dec'd. Sister, Minnie Hendrickson.
5.9 Homer Keller born 1897, IN.
9. Minerva Rosetta Mayse and Harry George Gundrum had the following children:
9.1 India M GUNDRUM was born in Jun 1886 in IN.
9.2 John Gundrum was born 1904 IN.
1. Death Record. Shelbyville-Shelby County Public Library Full Obituary.
2. Marriage, Family History Library Salt Lake City Utah OS Page
1295699. Indiana Marriages thru 1850.
3. Marriage .MARRIAGES 1850-1920.
4. 1900 Census.Washington Twp, Owen Co, IN.
5. Marriage, Book 28 Page 78, 1 May 2005.
6. Death Record.County Health Office, Shelbyville. The source of this record is book H - 25 on page 73 within the series produced by the Indiana Works Progress Administration.
7. Marriage, Book 12 Page 345 County Clerk's Office.
8.Marriage. W A P Original Record Located County Clerk's Office Book 14 Page 422.
A lot of my information came from the Indiana census' and Indiana State Archives.
1900 Census,Richland Twp, Monroe Co, IN.
Marriage , Book 15 page 478, 21 Jun 2005.
1910 Census,Jackson, Shelby Co, IN.
Newspaper Obits Indiana.