THE VERRIOR/VERRY FAMILY OF HEREFORDSHIRE
Summary of Research into a Much Dewchurch Family
At various times in the 17th century they were Churchwardens in MUCH DEWCHURCH and MUCH BIRCH and for that moment, may have been of some importance though it is doubtful if their opinion mattered much and certainly not in any neighbouring parish, where they were probably "foreigners". Like all of their class, they were subsumed by their landowners and generally held their landlords' opinion whatever it was. In Elizabethan Much Dewchurch they probably held to the old church like most of the shire, but attended the new order. Seating in church was according to social status and occasionally disputes arose like the one in the 1590's between the Lewis and Bower Families of Dewchurch which reached the Star Chamber.
In sickness they turned to prayer and to herbal remedies passed down, mother to daughter. Their day began with some home-cured bacon, bread and cheese, washed down with cider or ale. Evenings were for fireside talk, perhaps organising their "fellow" the farm worker, for the following day's work in the fields, side by side; while wife or maid churned some butter or made clothing - an extended family in many respects. As for their children, little is known. They played with rudimentary toys, were dressed after the fashion of their parents and no doubt got in the way as children have forever done.
Quite often our agricultural forebears lived close to the margin, alternating between plenty of harvest and the leanest of lent and at any time one or more of a family could be struck down by pestilence they attributed to God. It was a story repeated all over England, made better only by improvements in agricultural methods of the 18th century and medicine and hygiene in the 19th.
DAVID's MUCH DEWCHURCH
the local historian (Hubert Reade) of Church Farm, Much Dewchurch in
suggests that the first Verrior in Much Dewchurch was a
glassmaker, Floren or Floris, a Walloon who
arrived from the French speaking Catholic Netherlands in the time of
Henry VIII. That may be so but I have been unable to verify his
research. The family is in the Much Dewchurch parish register in
Elizabethan times, in increasing numbers, suggestive of an arrival in
the early 1500's. Reade wrote of glass furnaces there in the
Elizabethan era, but they were probably discontinued before about 1600
because timber for fuel was being rapidly depleted, or their purpose -
window glass for mansions - had been fulfilled; and certainly by 1615,
timber as fuel for their furnaces was made unlawful. A typical run of
consumed as much timber as would make a house. In 1623 the register
the burial of one Catherine JENKIN from GLAZIERS CLOSE.
It is doubtful if this rural parish had a glazier in the modern sense
of the word and it may allude to an old glass furnace site. So little
is known of these "forest glassmakers" in England but at Much Dewchurch
glass "frit" has been found in a field still known in the 19th Century
as "Brick Kiln field", on the Lowe farm near the
village and on the Hill Farm. It is believed that the outcrop
of sand on Reignold's Ridge in the parish had been used to provide the
correspondence (1925) to George Marshall of the Woohope Club refers
more specifically to this in -
He expresses belief that it was the site of a glasshouse belonging to (sponsored by?) Lewis WATKINGE of Kivernoll (a hamlet and estate in Much Dewchurch) - and later refurbished to the Continental Style c. 1597 by Van Der HENZEY, a well-documented glassmaker from Lorraine then living at Eggelshall, Staffordshire.
"a field on the Lowe Farm which lies to the west of Lowes Lane running from Much Dewchurch to Callow Hill which was called by the old people the "Brick" as there was a tradition that there had been a brick kiln in it and there was a mound from which fragments of bricks were picked up."
"This field lies on the left hand of the Worm Brook and is the second field in the valley down stream from the ford where Lowes Lane crosses the Worm."