Mahedy of Shefford county part 2

The Mahedys of Shefford County

dividing bar

1861 - 1875

The 1861 Shefford County census provides a fairly comprehensive snapshot of the Mahedy families. Missing from this picture however, is James Mahedy, son of John, Jr.. James was last recorded living with his grandfather and Michael's family in 1851 at Sherrington. By 1861 he would have been seventeen. James is known to have eventually settled in Des Moines, Ia. The particulars of when James left, and how and where he traveled, all remain a mystery. His younger brother, William F, now 12, was living and work-ing with the Patrick Mahedy family. Patrick's family consisted of himself at age 47; Mary Jane 37; and children: Sarah Jane 18; Peter John, 17, now residing at St Edourd, Que; Ellena 15; Eliza Jane 12; J. B. 10; Mary 8; Mary Emaculate 6; Stephen P 4; and James Alfred 1. They lived in a one and a half story brick house. Patrick also had his saw mill. A description of the structure was not provided in the census, but details of the business were. The mill was water powered, as might be surmised from the map. The principle function of the business was the production of oars. The mill reflected a total investment capital of $2,000, plus real and personal property. In addition to the water used for power, the raw material consumed consisted of 100,000 feet of lumber, generating 3000 pair of oars which sold for $6000. Patrick employed seven laborers for an annual labor cost of $140! It is not clear if there was any living space within the mill, but the following people were also listed as residing with Patrick: Thomas Storr, oarmaker, 26; Joseph Broulutter, carpenter/joiner, 28; Patrick Stapleton, oarmaker, 26; George Dorgie, laborer, 26; and Mary Ann Corry, laborer, 18. Thomas belonged to the Church of England; all others were Catholic. It should be noted that a J Stapleton stood witness for Michael's marriage. William F was also listed as a laborer. Only six employees are listed. Perhaps James had been the seventh employee in the previous year and had only recently departed.

Michael and Esther established their farm on the third and fourteenth plot in the eighth range in the Town of Shefford. In 1861 the census listed Michael as 44; Esther Ann 38; Esther Ann 11; Mary 9; Michael 8; Charles H 4; and Patrick 2. Their youngest child, David, was born 17 Mar 1863. This was the same year Esther's brother David was reported living next to her, as mentioned in the Gillett chapter. It may well be that David was actually living on Michael's land in a single story log cabin. Michael's own home was a one and a half story frame house, which he obviously enlarged in later years. The picture of Michael and Esther is believed to have been taken between 1850 and 1860. There are two versions of this picture. As a lad, this historian was rummaging through Aunt May's closets and came across an old rolled up piece of canvas and was dumbfounded to find this portrait of two ancient unknowns. Aunt May also seemed surprised but knew immediately who they were. She told me to take good care of it. An artist I knew later informed me the technique used on the canvas was only used in the 1850s. The second version was a tin-type in the possession of the late Joe Butler which I am sure is safely preserved by his family. The 1861 census was invaluable because it also surveyed the farms, allowing an examination of the relative size and productivity of the ancestral homesteads. In total acreage, Michael's farm was the largest with 300 acres. Of that total, only 50 acres were cultivated: 29.5 in crops and 20 in pasture. He owned 250 acres of wooded land. The total land value stated was $2000, plus $46 in machinery. In the previous year Michael had planted 1.5 acres in spring wheat, yielding 53 bushels. In addition, he planted .25 acre in peas; yielding five bushels; three acres of oats, yielding 100 bushels; a half acre of buck wheat, yielding 12 bushels; three acres of Indian corn, yielding 140 bushels; 1.75 acres of potatoes, yielding 340 bushels (Irish don't you know;) .75 acres of turnips, yielding 500 bushels; and three bushels of carrots. Hay was reported in 16 pound bundles or tons. Michael reported "37," but whether tons or bundles is unclear to this hayseed. The farm had produced 23 pounds of wool and 43 pounds of flannel. Michael owned two bulls less than three years old; ten steer or heifers; three milch cows; and three oxen over three years old. The value stated was $310. It is not clear if that amount referred to everything listed above, or only the livestock. In addition, Michael owned two colts under three years old; seven sheep, and two swine, for a combined total value of $674. He produced 100 pounds of butter; two barrels of beef, and three barrels of pork; as well as $20 in orchard or bee hive production.

Patrick Mahedy's farm was half the size, though more productive and valuable than Michael's, but Patrick's farm had also been established several years earlier than Michael's. It is also not clear if Patrick's mill was treated as a separate property from the farm. It probably was. He had also donated the eight acres for the church by the time of this census. Patrick's farm consisted of 150 acres, including 60 acres of cleared land - 35 in crops and 25 in pasture, and 90 acres of wooded or wild land. The farm was valued at $2500, and he had $200 in machinery. For crops, Patrick had 1.5 acres of barley yielding 200 bushels; seven acres yielding 200 bushels of oats; two acres yielding 300 bushels of potatoes; 25 tons or 16 pound bundles, and four of grass. They had produced sixty pounds each of wool, fulled cloth, and flannel, and 200 pounds of maple sugar. Aunt May often spoke of the maple sugar sandwiches made with homemade maple sugar and warm freshly baked bread. Patrick also owned two steer or heifers, ten milch cows, and three oxen over three years old, valued at $315, plus ten sheep and one swine for a total value of $360. In addition, the farm had produced 300 pounds of butter and one barrel of pork. Finally, Patrick owned one pleasure car-riage valued at $40, though there was no mention of any horses in the 1861census.

Since their Uncle Charles Moran was obviously part of this family constellation, and his farm was basically in between their farms, it is appropriate to include his farm in the mix. Charles was now 76, and wife Bridget 53. They lived in a log cabin with eight of their ten children still at home. Charles' children had all been born at Sherrington. Mary, the eldest at age 30, was a teacher, as was the fourth daughter Bridget, age 24. Elizabeth, born 31 Dec 1831, had married 31 Mar 1856 at Granby, to Peter Dunn, born 12 Apr 1831 in Maryborough, Offaly, Ireland. They had sons John C and Peter Frances, ages four and two. Pror to her marriage Elizabeth had attended the Congregation Convent where she was trained as a teacher. She taught school for six years in Burtonville, LaColle, and Shefford. By 1861 they had established there own farm and resided in a one and a half story log cabin. Judith, born 1834, had married a Mr Farrell. No further information has been located for Judith. At least three of the first four daughters taught school, again showing their deep passion for knowledge, so long denied in their native land. The others remaining on the farm included Charles - 22; John - 20; Anne - 18; Patrick - 16; L.A. (Lucy Ann) - 14; and Michael, aged 12.

The Moran farm contained 225 acres, including 100 acres of cleared land: 50 acres in crops; 49.5 acres in pasture; 0.5 in garden or orchard; and 125 acres of wild or wooded land. It was valued at $1800 in 1861, and had $50 worth of farm equipment. In the previous year Charles had harvested 60 bushels of spring wheat from two acres; 25 bushels from one acre of rye; 30 bushels from one acre of peas; 175 bushels from five acres of oats; 15 bushels from a half-acre of buckwheat; 12 bushels from a quarter acre of Indian corn; 700 bushels from three acres of potatos; 700 bushels from one acre of turnips; 160 bushels from five acres of mangels; and 75 tons or 16 pounds bundles of hay. They had produced 40 yards of wool; 20 yards of fulled cloth; 30 yards of flannel; and five pounds of maple sugar. Charles owned two bulls less than three years old; 13 steer or heifers; three milch cows; and two oxen over three years old, all valued at $625. In addition, he also owned fifteen sheep and three swine, for a total value of $725. He had produced 1000 pounds of butter, fifty pounds of cheese, two barrels of beef, and four barrels of pork. Charles owned two pleasure carriages valued at $100.

One can only guess what John Mahedy, Jr must have experienced in his twelve years on a chain gang in Cuba. It would certainly be fascinating to learn how he made his escape in April 1862 and obtained pas-sage on the "Col Wilkes." To date, research has found no record of this vessel, nor any record of service in the Confederate army. Still his letter tells us he was "obliged" to join, and fought some "hard" battles in Louisiana. The worst battles of the Civil War in Louisiana were probably those in late 1862 and early 1863 from Shiloh to Corinth. Tens of thousands of Confederates were taken prisoner. Whether John was in-volved in this campaign, like so much of his life, remains a mystery. The events do fit with those provided in John's letter. Patrick Mahedy's tenth child, Charles Anthony Mahedy, was born at North Shefford 22 July 1862. The following year Patrick received yet another responsibity in the community:

As the United States tried to wrap up the Civil War and plan for Reconstruction, troubles which had been brewing in Canada were beginning to come to a head. Irish dissidents had been in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada trying to drum up support for the cause of Irish independence as well as stir up trouble for their hated English rulers. It became known as the Fenian Movement. As the movement gained increas- ing attention, it exacerbated the tension between Irish Catholics and the Protestants. As in any ethnic or religious conflict, rumors, distortions, and lies become fact. Hysteria abounds. Being recognized as a leader amoung the Irish, and known for his controversial positions concerning education - often revolving around religious issues - Pat found himself in the middle of the Fenian scare. He submitted a letter to the editor of the Waterloo Advertiser who was unable to publish it initially, as he indicated:

Pat's letter speaks for itself, and tells us much about the man.

Patrick was obviously angered and hurt by the suggestion he could be part of a plot against those whom he had spent almost twenty years trying to serve in a variety of ways. Though he remained ever proud of his Irish roots, he was a Canadian by choice and dedicated to his adopted homeland. He was intolerant of any group, including fellow Irishmen, who would stoop to terror, conspiracy or tyranny. It might also be concluded that his attitude toward the United States was less than patriotic. Then again, Patrick was Irish-Canadian, not American. Furthermore, as an objective outsider, his perceptions may well be valid. At the time he lived in New York, the U.S. had fought two wars within forty years. Many he knew had fought in the War of 1812. They had lived with the threat of an English invasion off Lake Champlain on the east, Lakes Erie and Ontario to the west, and the Canadian border to their north. Their nation's capital had been burned to the ground. Their parents or grandparents were in the Revolutionary War. England had even favored the Confederacy, hoping to permanently divide the U.S. That Americans of the 1830s through the 1860s distrusted, even hated England, should surprise no one. Patrick's comments relating to America's aggression is equally valid. One need only mention Mexico, Texas, California, and every Native American nation in the U.S. What is surprising is Patrick's amazing tolerance of England from an Irishman.

The Fenians subsided for the time. If 1865 was off to a precarious start, all in all it was not a bad year. Patrick's eleventh child, Mary Ann, was born in 1865. In his capacity as education commisioner, Patrick initiated what soon became a tradition: the annual school picnic. The goal was to create an event which could bring parents, teachers, students, civic leaders, and school commissioniers together in a relaxed situation to celebrate learning and achievement and - just have fun. There were academic contests and prizes for all students. Several annual reports from the Waterloo Advertiser follow:

Amoung prize winners at the second annual picnic was Martha Mahedy, Patrick's daughter, who won 1st prize from district #18 in english grammar. (6 Sept 1866)

The following year: "3rd Annual School Picnic - "...on opening the proceedings P. Mahedy, Esq., one of the School Commissioners said nearly as follow: `pupils of the District Schools that are assembled here to-day to have a social gathering and compete for the prizes offered by the generous people of Shefford to successful competitors, there is a great destiny before you - that in a few years you will have to take the same position in society that is now filled by your fathers and mothers - you should always be moral and virtuous and obedient to the laws we live under, that protects every man's social and religious interests. I would say a few words to the boys in particular. To day we have in this county two gentlemen that many of you perhaps know. These gentlemen are now seeking for high honors - both worthy of them - men of whom we might well be proud; I refer to Messrs. Huntington and Parmelee. A few years since the prospects of these men were no brighter than what many boys now are, but by their education and perseverence they arrived at the high distinction that they this day occupy. I would remind you of the words of the poet that

"School Picnic - Shefford - in Address given by Hon. L. S. Huntington:

Meanwhile, back in the town of Western, Pat's father-in-law was alive and well. Anthony Le Clear was listed as a farmer, age 83, in the 1865 census. At that time, he was living with his son Solomon, age 52, who was also engaged in farming. Anthony's son Moulton was listed as a soldier, aged 26. It is not clear if this meant Moulton was, or had been, actively involved in the Civil War, or if he was physically present in the home, perhaps engaged in the local militia. Peter Le Clear, 27, was also listed in the home, but with a notation he was "in the Gold Rush!" Since Anthony was not found in the 1870 census, it is assumed he died sometime prior to that date.

Not too far from Anthony was his daughter, Mary Ann Butler, and her family. They lived in a frame house valued at $250. Adin was a carpenter aged 53. However, the census also listed Adin as the owner of a "saw and stovemill" for the "turning of oars." The factory represented an investment of $800. He had produced 20,000 oars made of ashen plank, consuming some 200,000 feet of lumber, and generated $2000 income. Adin and Pat Mahedy were about the same age, and apparently engaged in the same business. It would be interesting to learn if one taught the other, or if it was just sheer coincidence.

All four of Adin's children were listed with Adin and Mary Ann. Alfred, 25, ran the farm. Milton, 23, and Solomon, 22, were both listed as soldiers. Again, it is not known if Milton or Solomon were, or had been, actively involved in the Civil War, or were actually in the home. Sarah Jane, 20, was employed as a weaver. It should be noted that when the records of 1865 were shown to Joe Butler, son of Solomon, he was quite adamant that his father had never been in the military, and his grandfather never owned a sawmill or oar factory. Until there is some other record to the contrary, the census is the only contemporary record available.

Sometime after the census was taken Solomon took a trip across the country on his own. When I was a teen Joe loaned me the diary Solomon kept on his journey. I regret to say there is little I specifically recall. I only remember being in awe, not only with the experiences and impressions he relayed, but by his obvious intellect. Solomon was often alone and out in the open. What a wondrous adventure and education - for both of us!

The Fenian threat resumed in 1855 and persisted through the 1860's. There were actually several significant skirmishes in 1868 and 1870. Patrick's opposition to the radical Fenians had been made clear to the public in his letter to the Editor. In 1866 Patrick was assumed a leadership role in establishing a volun-teer force to aid in the defense of the area in the event of a Fenian attack.

Edna Campbell of Utica, 90, was born at Warden, Shefford County, Quebec. She came to Utica in the late 1920s to study nursing at St Elizabeth's. Her father Andrew Campbell [Jr] was one of thirteen children born to Andrew and Bridget Gallagher Campbell. Edna remembers her father telling how he and his bro-thers would sometimes stay awake in their room over the kitchen listening to his parents talk of the Fenian scare when friends and relatives gathered. The Campbells were also from Ireland. Though Shefford never encountered any significant hostilities, several men of Shefford were summoned to assist in neighboring counties.

Daily life continued in a fairly normal routine. Evidence of Patrick's concern for the poor also appeared in a short notice in the Waterloo Advertiser of 9 August 1866.

There were several notices where Patrick had assisted, or was asked to assist in finding various forms of aid for fellow citizens in need. With all his other interests and activities, Patrick stayed on top of his primary business.

The McCaffrey property is shown on the 1867 map of Shefford presented earlier, just southeast of Pat's land. Pat's daughter married Henry McCaffrey. There was also evidence of the occupational hazards facing Patrick and his employees.

Several years later Patrick's own son, Alfred, lost his thumb at the mill. 1866 ended on a joyous note with the birth of Patrick's twelth child, daughter Mary Jane "Jenny" Mahedy on 16 December. James Mahedy had settled in Des Moines County, Iowa by at least 1866. Unfortunately there is no record to tell how or why James made his way to Iowa, nor did James relay any tales to his heirs which might provide some clue. It is known by 1866 he had married to Sarah Ann, born 1844 at Fortal, County Offaly, Ireland, to Cornelius and Mary Sweeny Cleary. James often referred to Sarah as "The Rose of Fortal." They soon established a farm near Mediopolis. The farm was located about thirteen miles north Burlington, Iowa. Their first daughter, Mary Rose Mahedy was born there 15 Apr 1867, followed by Sarah Ellen (Nellie) on 20 Nov 1870.

On 1 July of that same year, Patrick's eldest daughter, Sarah, married to William Coburn at St Joachim de Shefford. They settled on a farm next to or very near Patrick The commitment of our Irish ancestors to education has been mentioned several times. This dedica- tion was as evident with the Moran clan as it was with the Mahedys. At least three of Charles Moran's daughters became teachers. Elizabeth Moran Dunn was discussed earlier. Her younger sister Bridget also gained some public recognition:

Bridget married the following year as indicated below. Her husband's first wife died in 1868 or '69. He ran a hotel in neighboring Roxton Falls. Later, he opend a hotel right in Waterloo.

1998 has witnessed repeated patterns of bizarre weather systems and natural disasters from the tornadoes in the northeast, floods, fires in Florida, record heat and drought in Texas, wrecking havoc and distruction and loss of life. Our ancestors confronted natural disasters as well.

Patrick Hackett was a friend of the Mahedys as well as the McKays. The Kilbourns have no connection to the Mahedys, Gilletts, and allied families. However, they do descend from the original Kilbourn settlers of New England, @ 1630s, who are also ancestors to the Touses of Vernon. There was also a Marie Kilbourne who was "...educated at Vernon Academy..." in the 1830s. Marie descends from the same Thomas Kilbourne and was mother of George Eastman of Waterville, and later founder of Eastman-Kodak! I have not recorded the Canadian Kilbourne line, but many of the early Colonial families who migrated to Canada did so during and immediately following the Revolutionary War because they had been Loyalists! Patrick also continued to serve as Justice of the Peace. There was nothing specific in the news pertaining to his role as Justice. However, the following article confirms the fact he was still a Town Justice and presents an interesting case in labor relations! It would also appear that patrick had at least temporary difficulty retaining employees. One can only speculate as to why. "Masters & servants - on saturday last, before justices Allen, and Ellis, one Senecal was convicted of deserting his master's employ before the expiration of his agreement and at the instance of the complainant, Patk. Mahedy, Esq., J.P. a moderate fine of one shilling and costs was inflicted upon him. On Monday another man in the service of Mr. Mahedy, called Levigne pleaded guilty to a charge of leaving his master's service without giving the month's required by law....

The ravages of the spring flooding in Shefford naturally had to be repaired. It is doubtful in the cynical, skeptical world of contemporary politics and government repairs could be handled as expeditiously and directly as they may have been done in years gone by. Committees would have to formed to assess the damage. Designs would no doubt have to be submitted for debate and approval. Bids would also need to be submitted for final authorization. The press would no doubt conduct an on-going investigation and suggest any potential collusion or conflict of interest - real or perceived. The following would at minimal probably be "suspect."

Patrick Mahedy continued to play a role in public affairs above and beyond being elected Chairman of the Education Commissioners year after year, serving as Justice of the Peace, and running his own business: "Shefford Town Council - P. Mahedy, Esq., was instructed to ascertain if Nancy Kennison could be placed in a hospital in Montreal. The valuation roll and voters list for current year were amended and homolegated. The bills of P. Mahedy of $7.50 and S.N. Blackwood of $4.50, services as valuntars, were approved. ( 5Aug 1870)

That same August 1870, Patrick was one of seven men elected to the Board of Management of the Colonization Society, an organization established to promote emigration from the British Isles. While part of its mission was to provide aid and comfort to immigrants, its primary goal was to inflate the labor market, thus allowing wages to remain low and profits high. The followimg year Pat signed a Petition urging the Warden of Shefford County to hold a public meeting in October to consider the question of Canadian Independence. On 10 January 1871, Patrick's second daughter, Ellena (aka Ellen; Elenor,) was married to Michael Harper at St Joachim, as indicated in the Waterloo Advertiser:

The Kelpyns were mentioned in the letter of John Mahedy, Jr's found in the previous chapter. Obviously there had been a long-standing, and close, relationship between the Kelpyns and the Mahedy-Moran Clan. Patrick and Margaret Mary Swift Kelpyn were both born @ 1810 in Ireland. Patrick was born in County Cork, where he and Margaret had at least three children before moving to Canada @ 1844, accompanied by Pat's sister, Anna Kelpyn. They settled in the Town of North Stukely, on the eastern border of Shefford Township. Their property is visible on the map shown in the previous chapter. Patrick's oldest son Michael was born 26 Dec 1832 in Co. Cork. On 26 Jan 1863 Michael married Mary, eldest daughter of Charles and Bridget O'Grady Moran, at Bromont, Quebec. By 1871 Michael and Mary Kelpyn owned the Union Hotel in Warden and had three children: Patrick C. (Charles) - 6 May 1864, Mary Judith - 20 sept 1865, and Arthur E. - 2 Dec 1867. Just prior to the St Patrick's Society described above, the following tragic report appeared in the Waterloo Advertiser of 3 March 1871:

Two months later, on 2 May, they had another son whom they named Arthur Michael. Sometime that same year Mary's father, Charles Moran, died at about age 85. Surprisingly, nothing was found in the press. March was special to the Mahedy-Moran Clan and the Irish of Shefford, as was demonstrated in the previous chapter. If there was a major celebration in 1871 it was not chronicled in the press. There was a formal, organizational meeting that month which signaled a significant change in the composition and direction of the St Patrick's Society.

With the exception of Pats Mahedy and Moran, the other officers were all Protestant. Given some of Patrick's earlier statements, and the Fenian "difficulties," one can not help but wonder if Patrick was the moving force in expanding the Society to help demonstrate that the historically opposing groups had much more in common than the single factor that might differentiate them. Had they only followed Pat's example back in Ulster! Patrick's first grandchild, Emily Coburn, daughter of William and Sarah Mahedy, was born at Shefford in 1871. In September of that year a Shefford teacher eloped to the United States. She does not appear to have been a member of the Mahedy-Moran Clan, but no doubt caused Patrick to shuffle a bit as Education Commissioner to find a replacement.

The 1872 St Patrick's Day celebration received considerably more attention than the previous year. It was indeed ecumenical.

The chair was occupied by Dr. Erskins, of Waterloo, President of the Society, supported on the right by A. B. Parmelee, Esq., Warden of the County, and on the left by Rev. Mr. Clayton, of the Episcopal Church, Bolton, and other invited guests. The Vice Chair was occupied by T. L. Cleary, Esq., and supported right and left by invited guests.

The election for education commissioners was held every summer. Patrick ran as he did every year, and was re-elected - as he was every year. Shortly thereafter, the newly elected commissioners met to organize.

The press again provided an additional tidbit to shed more light on Pat's character:

Mike Kelpyn sold the hotel at Warden sometime before the end of 1872. Perhaps it was sold to Mr Farley mentioned below where Mary's brother Pat helped to organize a party for 30 Dec 1872.

The following month another celebration was held in honor of the Kelpyns. The report of this party helps to document just how close the Mahedy and Moran families were. It also further demonstrate Patrick Moran's knack for Irish hospitality..

St Patrick's Day was back again and the Moran and Mahedy clans continued to remain active in the Shefford County Irish Society as is seen in the slate of officers from 1873.

John Kelpyn was a brother of Michael's. Later that sring controversy arose which must have caused some consternation to the Clan.

13 June 1873

Charles [Jr] had married Mary Elizabeth Flynn, daughter of Lawrence and Helen Kilmartin - b. 1848, Ireland, in neighboring Richmond County on 17 Feb 1868. They were listed in the 1871 Shefford County census. It is not known what became of Charles or his family after the above incident. He did not appear in the 1881 or 1891 cen-suses for shefford county, nor was he mentioned in later family obituaries. Patrick Mahedy was again re-elected Corresponding-Secretary of the Irish Union and Benevolent Society for 1874. The dinner party was held in Waterloo, but the attendance was down considerably owing to a recent storm which had left the roads in very poor condition.

Patrick's daughter Ellen(a) Harper started a business of her own at Waterloo which opened the following month. The following ad was placed in the Waterloo Advertiser of 16 April 1874:

Patrick also kept on top of his own field of business.

There was actually a "Mahedy Block" in Waterloo. Since there is no indication that Patrick had either a business or offices in Waterloo, this "block" probably represented investment property he hoped to develop for sale or lease.

And from the following we learn mischief is nothing new...

More than anything else, it was Patrick's involvement in edication that kept him in the public eye. For the better part of eighteen years he had served as a commissioner, usually as chairman. He was largely responsible for building a modern - for the time - competent educational system. After eighteen elections he was finally defeated by his neighbor and fellow Irish Society officer, John Cleary, by a mere twelve votes. The defeat, and controversary causing it, were addressed in several issues of the Waterloo Advertiser.

The following week his daughter was recognized for punctuality at the Annual exam period.

But the controversary continued.

[We have no doubt that Mr. Mahedy knows to what we alluded when we mentioned the "dark spot" on his record, and presume his intention to be to explain himself thereon, when he can have the "spot" mentioned precisely so that it can be met. It is a right which he has, and it would be unfair in us not to allow an old public servant the privilege of putting himself right before his friends and the public upon a matter which affects his honor and which occasioned his defeat. We referred to the dismissal of the Sec.-Treasurer of the board in 1873, without any reason being given therefor. If discussion there must be upon this subject, we trust it will be temperate and devoid, so far as possible, of personalities.
-Ed. W. Adv.]"

Obviously Patrick was no shrinking violet, nor was he ever at a loss for words. In the end though, it would seem he was largely vindicated by Capt. Maynes' letter. Patrick pretty much faded from public life. In the coming year his health began to fail. The Mahedy Block did receive some sprucing up.

There were occasional ads in the press for Eli and Mary Mahedy Carr's "Congress Hall Hotel" in Troy, NY. The last one found to appear in Waterloo, Quebec, was on 30 October 1874. Pat's son-in-law Michael Harper continued to dabble in investments in Waterloo and the surround-ing area.

Little else was heard about Patrick or his family in 1875 until November when the notice of the death of Patrick Mahedy appeared in the issue of 5 November 1875 of the Waterloo Advertiser. From the articles below it is clear that Patrick was known and repected not only in his home community, but through-out much of Canada. What has seemed most startling in all the revelations of Patrick is that none of this knowledge was passed down the generations!

Truly this man who passed briefly through Oneida County, helping to construct the Black River Canal, and marrying one of her native daughters, worked hard to make this a better world. His line will be met again as the Mahedy saga continues. A few notes are worth mentioning here. Within a few short years after Patrick's death, all that property he had worked so hard to make successful was taken for taxes. The worst irony was the fact that the official notices were signed by his adversary, Mr Tartre. There were no further notices or other evidence of any St Patrick's celebrations or the Society. Again, within a few short years, an Orange Society was organized and annually celebrated the defeat of the Irish at the Battle of the Boyne. The founders and officers of this Orange Society were all the Protestant officers of the St Patrick's Society Patrick had so skillfully established to demonstrate peace and commonality between Irish Catholic and Irish Protestant.

Contributed by Dan Touse