Hartsville, New York
County of Steuben
- 1809--Benjamin BROOKINS began a cabin on what is now known as Purdy
Creek Road. After he broke his only axe handle he abandoned the
- 1810--Joseph PURDY became the town's first permanent settler moving
into the cabin started by Brookins. He
was the only occupan until 1819
- 1818--Perry and Andrew POTTER and William BURDICK settled at the head
of what is now known as Crosby Creek Thomas WILLIAMS, Joshua DAVIS
and those witht he surnames of BLAKE, SATERLEE AND NEFF came to town.
- 1822--Daniel CARPENTER, Frost POWELL, William HUDSON, John
GRANGER, Robert MARTIN, Joseph THOMPSON, Joseph HOOD, and Casper
VANBUSKIRK came and settled in the town.
- 1823--Sarah Ann CARPENTER daughter of Daniel P. CARPENTER was the
first white child to born in the town in January. Charlotte
MARTIN, daughter of Ebenezer MARTIN was the first recorded death in the
- 1825--The Methodist Church was the first
orgianized church in the town. It was organized by Jame HEMINGWAY.
The Hartsville Hill Cemetery was formed. A log school house
was built on the land of Mr. Carpenter and Mr. Carpenter opened the
first store at his residence.
- 1826--John HOOD, an officer in the War of 1812, came from Bellona,
Yates County. He organized a company of militia under Col. Amasa
THATCHER and was made Captain.
- 1827--The first saw mill was build by Daniel CARPENTER.
- 1828--James HOWELL, John MARTIN, and Othniel CALL settled in town.
- 1830--William ALLISON, Joseph, Orlando B. and David CALL settled in
town. David Stearns WHITING settled on the land that was later
known as the FJ Caple farm. Francis & Necah KENNEDY, John
HENRY, Henry ACKER, William LINDSAY, Reuben HART with his son Charles N.
settled in the town. The Call Hill Cemetery began along with the
Hartsville Center Cemetery.
- 1832--Robert MARTIN built the second saw mill, followed by William
ALLISON and later two miles above WHITING built a saw mill. Nearby
was a stave and shingle mill. At one time there were six saw mills
located in the town: three on Purdy Creek, two on Slate Creek and
one on Fall Creek.
- 1835--Robert HEMPHILL from New Hampshire and Benjamin and David COOK
settled in the town.
- 1838--The Baptist Church was organized with
service being held in the Center House and later in the District #5
- 1844--February 7, the Town of Hartsville was established from
Hornellsville in honor of Charles N. Hart who became a lumber dealer and in his home was the first
- 1849--The Seventh Day Baptist Church was
organized by the Rev. Dr. A.P. BURDICK on Hartsville Hill. in 1866
it had a membership of 105. It was disorganized in the 1940's and
the building burned in the 1960's.
- 1855--The timber supply began to be exhausted making way for farming
and dairying to provide the livelihood. Cheese factories were
built to utilize the milk. One known as the Cold Spring Factory
was located near the Hornellsville line and there was on located on Call
Hill and one on Purdy Creek.
- 1990 Census shows there were 546 inhabitants; 145 were over 50 years
of age with the median being 35 years. There were 426 housing
units of which 191 were occupied the year around.
- Cemeteries (In the near future I plan on placing a virtual listing of with
connections to photos of the markers for the cemeteries.)
- Those who have served
- The Hartsville/Call Museum