|Home||Censuses||Parish Registers||Site Map|
|Kelly Directory 1895|
|LYDBURY NORTHis a village and parish on the road from Bishop’s Castle to Ludlow, 2½ miles south-west from Plowden station on the Bishop’s Castle railway, 4 south-east from Bishop’s Castle and 21 south-by-west from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Bishop’s Castle division of Purslow hundred, Clun union, Bishop’s Castle county court district, petty sessional division of Clun and Purslow, rural deanery of Clun, arch deaconry of Ludlow and diocese of Hereford. By Local Government Board Order, dated March, 1884, Hill End, Old Church Moor and Dinmore were amalgamated with this parish. The church of St. Michael is an edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, with modern additions, and consists of chancel, nave, north and south chapels, south porch and a massive embattled western tower containing a||clock and 6 bells, 3 of which, dated 1660, were recast in 1870, when 3 more were added; the chancel retains a piscina and aumbry, and on either side the communion table is a stone bracket supporting a rudely gilt candlestick of wood; the 15th century rood screen of carved oak also remains, and over it are the ten commandments finely written and dated 1615; but the chancel stalls, also of oak, are modern; the pews in general appear to be of Jacobean date; the chancel doorway of red sandstone is a fine example of Norman work and is enriched with dog-tooth ornament; on the north side of the chancel is the Plowden chapel, which contains a stone altar of the pre-Reformation period, and many floor stones inscribed to the Plowden, Dormer and Stonor families; the Walcot chapel on the south side, is apparently of the same date, but has been modernised|
|and has a chamber over it, formerly used as a schoolroom; the chapel has several pews attached to the Walcot estate, in which yet remains various prayer books stamped with the name of Robert, baron Clive, of Plassey K.B. the celebrated governor-general of India, who once held this manor, and died here November 22, 1774; there are also memorials to the Walcot family, to the Baroness de Ferrières, who died at Totterton in 1845, and the families of Ambler and Wright; the font is Norman; there is a memorial window to the wife of George Harley Jenkins, of Bishop’s Castle. The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £363, net yearly value £290, including 47 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Powis, and held since 1886 by the Rev. Augustus Field M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge. The Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. Walburga, about three-quarters of a mile from Plowden Hall, was erected in 1868, by the late W. H. F. Plowden esq. and has a residence for the priest attached; the Very Rev. Monsignor Edward Slaughter is in charge of the mission. Here is also a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1872. The charities are of the yearly value of £36 10s. arising from land left in 1787 by the Walcot family. Bury Ditches, situated on Tangley Hill, about 2 miles from the village and occupying an area of about 16 acres, are supposed to indicate a British encampment; the lines of encampment, which are very clearly marked, consist of three nearly circular earthworks, much obscured however by the dense overgrowth of trees and underwood. There is a free library of 400 volumes, established in the year 1856 by the late Countess of Powis for the benefit of those residing in the parish and neighbourhood. Walcot Park is the occasional residence of Earl of Powis; the mansion is a building of brick surrounded by a park of 1,000 acres; it contains a fine collection of paintings and Indian curiosities collected by the great Lord Clive, whose son, 2nd Lord Clive, was created Earl of Powis. Plowden Hall, the seat of William Francis Plowden easq. D.L., J.P. is an ancient half-timbered building of the Elizabethan and Jacobean periods, and has been the seat of the Plowden family since the 11th century; the mansion contains a large collection of family portraits by Vandyke, Sir Peter Lely and other eminent painters; the library includes some rare books, and there are also some fine examples of ancient tapestry, ecclesiastical vestments, and other articles, including a chalice veil once belonging it is said to St. Thomas of Canterbury; the domestic chapel has some rare engrav-||engravings
of the “Beatitudes;” in the house are two
“hiding places,” used during the Civil war.
Totterton Hall is a modern residence of brick, and is the seat of
William Henry Whitaker esq. J.P. The Earl of Powis and William Francis
Plowden esq. D.L., J.P. who are lords of the manor, William Henry
Whitaker esq. J.P. and the Rev. William Bishton Garnett Botfield B.A.
of Decker Hill, Shifnal, are chief landowners. The soil is various; the
subsoil consists of gravel, rock, clay and peat. The chief crops are
wheat, oats and barley. The area is 8,130 acres; rateable value,
£8,482; the population in 1891 was 866.
Acton, about 3 miles west-by-south, Brockton, 1½ west and Lower Down, 1 mile south-west from the parish church, are townships.
Parish Clerk, Robert Henry Newill esq
POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Shropshire added). – Henry Tovey, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive by mail cart 5.20 a.m. & 7.30 p.m.; dispatched at 7.25 & 8 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is Bishop’s Castle
Wall Letter Box, Brocton, cleared at 5.30 p.m. week days only
School (boys, girls & infants), built in 1845, for 170 children; average attendance, 128; & supported in part by an endowment of £16 yearly; Charles James Mabbatt, master; Miss Jemima Lowe, mistress; Miss N. Richards, infants’ mistress
Catholic School (mixed), erected in 1874, for 52 children; number on the books, 75; average attendance, 51; & supported in part by W. F. Plowden esq. D.L., J.P.; the Misses Parkers, mistresses; a new class room & cloak room are about to be added, increasing the accommodation by 27.
Eaton is about 3 miles north-east from the parish church, with a station on the Bishop’s Castle railway.
Eyton and Plowden township is about 2 miles north-east from the parish church; at Plowden is a station on the Bishop’s Castle railway. Letter Box, Plowden station, cleared 5.15 p.m.
Choulton township is 2 miles north-east from the parish church.
Totterton township is 1½ miles north from the church.
Hill End, formerly extra-parochial, is 6 miles east from Bishop’s Castle.
Old Church Moor, formerly extra-parochial, is 6 miles east from Bishop’s Castle.
Plowden Railway Station, Hy. Sherwood, station master
Powis Earl of J.P., D.L., Walcot park; & 45 Berkeley square, London W
Field Rev. Augustus M.A. (vicar)
Newill Robert Henry
Ward Felix J. Lower gardens
Ancient Order of Foresters’ Friendly Society (Court Union, No. 5,221; S. H. Tovey, sec)
Bason Thomas, New inn
Clarke George, gardener to the Earl of Powis, Walcot
Countess of Powis’s Lending Library (Charles J. Mabbatt, librarian)
Davies Thos. Powell, farmer, The Folly
Edmonds Erskine, assistant overseer & clerk to the Parish Council, Lower gardens
Edwards Steven, stone mason
Hotchkiss Chas. farmer, Prior’s Holt frm
Humphreys George, shoe maker
James William, mason
Lawrence Edward, blacksmith
Leech John, farmer, Brocton cottage
Legge George, gamekeeper to the Earl of Powis
Mabbat Charles J. registrar of births & deaths, & vaccination officer for the sub-district of Lydbury
Meddins Edward, farmer, Red house
Newill Robert Henry, land agent, & agent to the Earl of Powis
Percival Joseph, farm bailiff to the Earl of Powis, Walcot dairy
Phillips Samuel C. farmer
Phillips William, farmer
Rickards John, shopkpr. & shoe maker
Speake Thos. farmer. Church Moor fm
Sproston & Humphrey, tailors
Ward Felix J. land agent to W. F. Plowden esq. D.L., J.P. Low. gardens
Whittall Edward, master woodranger to Earl of Powis
Wood Richard, wheelwright
Wright Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Chelmick Edward, farmer
Robinson Richard, farmer
Robinson Richard, jnr. blacksmith
Robinson Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Hamar John W. farmr. & miller (water)
Lewis John, blacksmith
Meddins John, farmer
Rogers John, wheelwright
Swain David, grazier
Woosnam Charles, farmer
Brereton James, farmer
Marston Samuel, farmer
Whitall David, blacksmith
Fletcher John, farmer, Bow house
Medlicott & Sons, farmers
Brereton Thomas, farmer
Evans John, farmer
Everall Edward (exors. Of), farmers
Matthews Charles, grazier
Broom John, farmer
Edwards Chas. Farmer, The Bank farm
Plowden William. Francis. D.L., J.P. Plowden hall
Slaughter Very rev. Monsignor Edwd. (Catholic), Presbytery
Luscott John, carpenter
Marston Samuel, grazier
Morris Phillip, miller (water), Plowden mill
Bright George Gough, farmer
Corfield William, farmer
Whitaker Wm. Hy. J.P. Totterton hall
Jarman David, farmer
© Mark George, 2008
|Home||Censuses||Parish Registers||Site Map|