H U M P H R E Y & F R A N C E S


1 7 6 0 - 2002




(1762 - MARCH 24, 1850)

 I am greatly indebted to Frances Marks, who had the foresight to describe her possessions, property and include the names of her children and grandchildren in her Last Will and Testament. Without this vital information, constructing our family tree would have been difficult.

I am still searching for additional information and would appreciate your help and comments on this web page.

Marion E. Marks, Jr.:

Go to Humphrey Marks Chapter

Go to Alexander Marks Chapter

Go to Isaac Newton Marks Chapter

Go to Rev. Alexander Marks Chapter

Go to Joseph H. Marks Chapter

Go to David H. Marks Chapter

Go to Theodore Marks Chapter

Go to Washington Marks Chapter

Go to Edwin Marks Chapter

Go to Marion H. Marks Chapter

Go to Dr. Elias Marks Chapter

Go to Dr. Frederick Humphrey Marks Chapter

Go to Frederick Humphrey Marks, Jr. Chapter

Go to Richardson Stuart Marks Chapter

Go to Thomas Humphrey Marks Chapter

Go to Andrew Eugene Marks Chapter

Return to Top of Web Page




(1760 - September 15, 1838)

Humphrey Marks was born in London, England in 1760, the son of a Jewish immigrant with a given name of Mordecai. Humphrey's wife, Frances, was born in 1762. My research has been unable to determine Frances' maiden name or nationality, although the death certificate of a son (Elias) documents that she was from London, England. Based on my research, Humphrey came to America at age twenty-three. Frances' age at that time was twenty-one. Alexander, their eldest son, was born in August, 1788; it could be surmised that Humphrey and Frances were married as early as 1780 or as late as 1787. Humphrey and Frances were Jewish and they raised their children in the Jewish traditions and teachings of the time.

Humphrey and Frances were Jewish immigrants who came to America (Charleston, S. C.) from London, England, in November of 1783. Humphrey's epitaph substantiates that he was born in London, England in 1760, and that he was a resident of South Carolina for 56 years. Three brigantine ships, the Speedy, Lightening, and Britannia, sailed from England in September 1783 and arrived at the port of Charleston during that November. It is not known which ship Humphrey and Frances were aboard. The South Carolina Weekly Gazette of Charleston, S. C., November 21, 1783, reported that the ship Lightening, after a tedious twelve week voyage from London, arrived with fifteen passengers listed and carried as cargo the bells belonging to St. Michael's Episcopal Church in Charleston. The same issue reported that the ship Britannia, which sailed from London on September 18, 1783, arrived with eighteen passengers listed, a number of thoroughbred horses and many other unnamed passengers.

Humphrey Marks and family were members of Kahal Kadosh (K. K.) Beth Elohim Synagogue, in Charleston, S. C., which translated means "Holy Congregation House of God." This synagogue is the second oldest Jewish synagogue in America. The original K. K. Beth Elohim synagogue was constructed in 1792 completed and dedicated in 1794. Upon arrival in Charleston, Humphrey would have worshiped in a private dwelling house next to the present Hasell Street location of the synagogue. At the time Humphrey and his family attended the synagogue, the order of service would have been orthodox Sephardic. The service would have been in Hebrew and possibly Spanish since the congregation was predominately Spanish and Portuguese. The Jews of Charleston worshiped in this synagogue until it was destroyed by fire in 1838. A new synagogue was completed and dedicated in 1840. Synagogue records indicate that Humphrey and Frances worshiped at K. K. Beth Elohim from 1801 till 1827.

The Times City Gazette and Merchants Advertiser (Charleston, S. C.) October 16, 1800 reported that the Hebrew congregation members were being influenced in an upcoming election. This influence was in the form of lists of candidates to vote for and was distributed to members by representatives of the newspaper. The following day the Hebrew congregation wrote the newspaper denying that such lists were distributed to their members. The City Gazette and Daily Advertiser (Charleston, S. C.), November 19, 1800 reports that H. W. DeSaussure and Henry M. Rutledge, who were candidates for representatives of the General Assembly in Charleston, filed a petition with the S. C. General Assembly. The candidates requested that an investigation be made concerning Jewish businessmen voting who were not United States citizens. As a result of this petition, Humphrey Marks was one of many Jewish businessmen called before a General Assembly committee where under an oath he stated that he came to Charleston from London, England in November 1783. He further told the Committee that although he had not taken the oath of allegiance for citizenship, he considered himself a citizen of the United States. Humphrey also stated that he owned a house on King Street, paid taxes, owned slaves and stock in trade. Humphrey Marks did not sign his name on the committee document but made an "x" although he had signed his name to purchase a city lot and a slave bill of sale dated before 1800. I believe this was Humphrey's way of protesting being questioned in this manner.

The descendants of Humphrey (Mordecai) and Frances Marks are included in Americans of Jewish Descent: First American Jewish Families (1654 - 1977) by Rabbi Malcolm H. Stern, D.H.L., D.D., a noted Jewish genealogist. Rabbi Stern's research suggests that Humphrey Marks' given name at birth was Mordecai. "The name MARKS is Ashkenazic (i.e., of German origin), probably derived from a German grandfather who had no surname, but was named Mordecai." Rabbi Stern's educated guess is that Humphrey's parents may have been German or Austrian immigrants to England and English law after 1740 does allow for Jewish immigration to England. "Humphrey's father would have been named: _____, son of Mordecai." Upon his arrival in England, Humphrey's father would have assumed the surname of Marks, which was frequently adopted for Mordecai during this time. Humphrey Marks and his parents were probably members of the Great Synagogue of London. It is unfortunate that the synagogue was bombed and destroyed during World War II and only a few records survived. I have been unable to obtain additional information about Humphrey's ancestors. Rabbi Stern's book does include a descendant chart for Mordecai Marks from London, England but does not make a reference to Humphrey Marks as a son. Mordecai Marks was born in 1706 and could possibly be Humphrey's father although Mordecai's age would have been 54 when Humphrey was born.

Humphrey and Frances had four sons: Alexander, Elias, Frederick Humphrey, and Isaac. They also may have had one or two daughters, as indicated by the census of 1800 and 1810. Both censuses listed a female less than ten years old however, there are no documents mentioning any daughters and no mention of daughters in the will of Frances Marks.

Elias and Frederick Humphrey were educated in schools in Charleston and attended medical schools in New York City and Philadelphia. Isaac, the youngest son, died on March 12, 1810, at age 14 and is buried at the Jewish cemetery of the K. K. Beth Elohim congregation on Coming Street. Alexander was educated in Charleston and possibly New York. He worked with his father as a merchant in Charleston.

There is a plat recorded in the name of Humphrey Marks for 640 acres of land on Little Stephens Creek in Charleston County dated March 27, 1785, but no deed or bill of sale exists for this property. This plat was for a state land grant, but it apparently was never conveyed to Humphrey. Charleston City directories indicate that Humphrey Marks was a shopkeeper whose address on King Street was the same as Anthony Marks (city directory of 1790) and S. M. (Samuel Mandel) Marks (city directory of 1802 and 1803). The relationships are unknown but they are assumed to be relatives. Humphrey and Frances purchased property in Charleston near the corner of King and George Streets on March 12, 1798. The property measured 35 feet (fronting King Street) in width and 101 feet in depth (near George Street) on the West Side of King Street. The purchase price was 3,000 pounds sterling. A plat dated January 1801 in the name of Humphrey Marks shows a house, outbuildings and a well at the corner of King and George Streets in Charleston. This King and George Street property was the location of Humphrey Marks' business and the family home until the property was sold on December 18, 1815. On April 4,1806 Frances Marks purchased a town lot at the southeast corner of King and John Streets measuring 33 foot 3 inches (fronting King Street) and 164 feet in depth (along John Street). This property was purchased from John Long for $5,602.28 with Frances Marks paying $2,800 cash and mortgaging the remainder. The mortgage was settled on September 8, 1813. A three-story house was built on the property and this location was also the site of Humphrey's business and the family home. This house and property was not sold when Humphrey and Frances moved from Charleston to Columbia in 1828. There is a document of Power of Attorney between Frances Marks and Hugh E. Vincent, dated March 10, 1825, which allowed Mr. Vincent to collect $400.00 annual rent on her behalf on the Marks' King and John Streets property. About the same time Humphrey and Frances moved to Columbia (1828), their son Alexander was opening the Marks' Porter and Relish House and Elias had just opened the Barhamville Female College both in Columbia. Alexander inherited the King and John Streets property in Charleston according to his mother's 1850 estate inventory. Alexander owned this property until 1860, when it was sold to Thomas Wallace of Charleston for $6670.00.

There are a number of documents supporting the selling and purchasing of slaves by Humphrey during the years that he lived in Charleston. In one instance, Humphrey sold a slave named Phillis for 40 pound sterling. Humphrey also sold five slaves to his son Frederick for $2000.00. At the time of her death Frances owned 21 slaves. All this suggests that Humphrey was active in business pursuits and probably used slave labor to help manage the household.

In 1828, Humphrey and Frances moved to Columbia, S. C., where they lived with their son Alexander. Humphrey would have been 68 years old at this time and was probably retiring from his business. On October 1, 1828, Alexander opened Marks' Porter and Relish House on Richardson Street, across the street from the Richland Masonic Lodge #39 and next door to the Daily Phoenix newspaper office. The Porter and Relish House served fine foods, liquor and had a reading room on the second story of the building. Alexander Marks' house was located next door to this business. On February 18, 1839, five months after Humphrey's death, Frances purchased a lot on the West Side of Richardson Street for $2750.00. This lot was somewhat narrow (54 feet) but a city block (417 feet) deep extending from Richardson Street to Assembly Street and was previously owned by Robert Latta. I am almost certain that Frances purchased this property because Alexander and his family were moving to New Orleans around this date and Frances at age 77 would have to live with one of her sons. As it turns out Frances purchased the property and asked her son Frederick and his family to live with her. The Porter and Relish House and Alexander's house was evidently sold but the county records are unavailable to support this. A Columbia, S. C. land survey in 1850 shows the Richardson Street property as belonging to the estate of Frances Marks. This property was sold to the City of Columbia (Julian A. Selby) on September 10, 1870 for $2,000 by Ann L. Marks, wife of Dr. Frederick Humphrey Marks. Dr. Frederick H. Marks died in 1869 and in accordance with Frances Marks' Will the property was divided between his children. This Richardson Street property is now the location of the Columbia City Hall and adjoining parking lot on 1700 Main Street.

Humphrey and Alexander are listed as original members of the Hebrew Benevolent Society of Columbia in 1828. Humphrey, with some certainty, was also a member of the Hebrew Benevolent Society of Charleston since he is listed in The Jews of South Carolina from Earliest Times to Present Day as "residence changed". I believe that Humphrey's membership was transferred from the Charleston society to the newly formed Hebrew Benevolent Society of Columbia. Humphrey's son Dr. Elias Marks was not listed as a member of the Hebrew Benevolent Society, since he was converted to Christianity. Elias was in all likelihood a founding member since his first wife, Jane Barham and children are buried in the DeLeon Section of the Hebrew Benevolent Society cemetery in Columbia. This DeLeon Section is a walled burial ground approximately 30 by 60 feet reserved for Christian burial in the middle of the Jewish Cemetery. Humphrey's son Dr. Frederick H. Marks is also not listed as a member of the Hebrew Benevolent Society of Columbia since he also was converted to Christianity.

Humphrey Marks died at his home in Columbia, S. C., on September 15, 1838. He left his estate to his widow; and there was no will recorded. Humphrey Marks' obituary probably best characterized his life and religious beliefs: "that he lived and died in the true faith, the belief of one omnipotent God. Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord, for they rest from their labors." The tombstone erected to the memory of Humphrey Marks is inscribed with three lines of Hebrew script at the head and three lines of Hebrew at the foot. The Hebrew at the head is now very deteriorated and barely legible. The Hebrew at the foot of the tombstone is inscribed with the Jewish Shema (Duet 6:4) and Numbers 6:25.

Frances Marks died at her home in Columbia, S. C. on March 24, 1850. She was 88 years old. There are two wills recorded for Frances Marks. There is a will dated June 9, 1847 and another dated February 27, 1850, 25 days before Frances' death. The main difference between the wills was as follows: the executor was changed from John Bryce to her sons Alexander and Frederick and the number and distribution of slaves was changed.

Frances left an estate valued at $21,115.23: consisting of 21 Negro slaves, two houses (her home in Columbia, and another in Charleston), sterling silverware and candelabra and numerous pieces of furniture. This information was recorded in the Will of Frances Marks and the inventory of her estate by her son Dr. Frederick H. Marks. Frances' estate was equally divided between her sons Alexander and Dr. Frederick. The will stated that Elias, due to his wealthy financial status, was not to be included in the estate. Further investigation revealed that Elias requested that his mother exclude him from the estate, feeling that his brothers were in greater need of the estate settlement than he.

Frances' home on Richardson Street in Columbia was occupied by Dr. Frederick Marks and family and was later burned on February 16, 1865 by Federal troops commanded by Gen. W. T. Sherman. This General Sherman burned a path through the south from Atlanta, Georgia to Savannah and through South Carolina.

Both Humphrey and Frances are buried at the Hebrew Benevolent Society Cemetery, at the corner of Taylor and Gadsden Streets in Columbia, S. C. Two of their granddaughters are buried next to them; both are children of their son Alexander and wife Esther (Hetty).

Return to Humphrey



(August 4, 1788 - September 14, 1861)

Alexander Marks was born on August 4, 1788, in Charleston, S. C., the eldest son of Humphrey and Frances Marks. Alexander was raised according to Jewish traditions and customs of the times and was a member K. K. Beth Elohim Synagogue in Charleston, S. C. He was educated at the schools of Charleston, S. C., and possibly attended college in New York City around 1810. In all likelihood Alexander met his wife to be, Esther Hart, during this period in New York. Alexander was the kind of person that would express how he felt on a subject or felt about a person. He was charged with assault of Solomon J. Cohen on November 29, 1809 for as Solomon J. Cohen put it "Shamefully said that I was a damn rascal and thief and was undeserving of the appellation of an officer". When Cohen asked Alexander why he made the statement; Alexander removed a sword from its sheath and drew it over Cohen's head and swore he would chop him to pieces if another word were spoken. General sessions court records show the charge and names of the jury members but does not contain a verdict. I feel that the charge may have been dropped. On June 16, 1812, at the age of twenty-four, Alexander enlisted for The War of 1812 as sergeant with the Third Regiment (Rutledge's) South Carolina Troops. He served with the Third Regiment until December 1812. Alexander married Esther (Hetty) Hart, the daughter of Jacob Naphtali and Leah Nathan Hart of New York, on July 10, 1816. Her father served in the Revolutionary War and was an influential person in the Jewish communities of Baltimore, Maryland and New York City. Jacob N. Hart and his wife Leah N. Hart are buried at the New Bowery Cemetery in New York City. Isaac Newton, Alexander and Hetty's eldest son, was born in Charleston, S. C. on May 5, 1817. Alexander and Hetty also lived in New York for a time, where a son, Joseph Hart was born on June 29, 1818 and a daughter Elizabeth was born on August 11, 1821. They returned to Charleston, S. C. where they lived until 1828, when the family moved to Columbia, S. C. along with his father's family. Alexander had a business on Richardson Street between Laurel and Blanding Streets, which is now 1700 Main Street. According to advertisements placed in the State Gazette and Columbia Advertiser, October 11, 1828 - December 27, 1828, the establishment of Marks' Porter and Relish House served the best wines and liquors, served meals, accommodated parties and had a reading room above. The ad further stated that: "utmost care and attention have been paid to the fitting up of the establishment for the accommodation of those who may feel disposed to patronize the same; and no exception shall be wanting to contribute to the ease and comfort of those who may please to call."

In an advertisement in the State Gazette and Columbia Advertiser, October, 1833 the Marks' Porter and Relish House was serving beef steaks, mock Turtle soup, fresh Oysters, decorated cakes, assorted candies and fresh fruits. The Marks' Porter and Relish House was remodeled in 1833. In another advertisement dated April 5, 1834, the State Gazette and Columbia Advertiser reported that ice cream was being served and women and children could enjoy their dessert at Mrs. Marks' brick house next door to the Porter and Relish house.

During 1833 the city of Columbia passed a Sunday blue law which prohibited the opening of businesses on Sunday, which differed with Jewish practices. Jewish merchants including Alexander Marks' Porter and Relish House closed on Saturday in observance of the Sabbath, but were open on Sunday. Columbia was at the time experiencing security problems between the white minority and unsupervised slaves congregating on Sundays engaging in limited trade and bartering. The "Blue Law" ordinance prohibited the opening of any business on Sundays, or trade with any person of color on Sunday. A heated protest arose in opposition of this blue law by merchants especially Jewish merchants. The conflict escalated when three businessmen, two of whom were Jewish, were prosecuted before Town Council for violating the ordinance. Alexander Marks was charged with violating the Sunday Blue Law and was convicted for the violation. Appealing his conviction, challenging the constitutionality of the ordinance on the ground that it violated Article 8 of the South Carolina Constitution, which provided for "free exercise and enjoyment of religious profession and worship, without discrimination or preference." The ordinance was upheld in the courts upon the finding that the prohibition of all labor on Sunday was unrelated to the Christian Sabbath. Alexander and family left Columbia shortly after the Sunday Blue Law was upheld and moved to New Orleans, Louisiana.

About 1840 Alexander, Hetty, and their 12 children moved to New Orleans, Louisiana where Hetty's brother, Jacob Hart was a merchant. Jacob Hart and Alexander opened a wholesale grocery business in New Orleans and over the years the business was very prosperous. Alexander and Hefty lived at 34 Constance Street in New Orleans. There were ten sons: Alexander, Jr., Isaac N., Joseph H., Frederick, Jacob, David, Theodore, Edwin, Marion and Washington, and two daughters Eliza and Julia, all of whom went to New Orleans. Two infant daughters Leonora and Isabel died while Alexander and Hetty lived in Columbia, S. C. They are buried next to their grandparents, Humphrey and Frances Marks, at the Hebrew Benevolent Society Cemetery in Columbia, S. C. Eliza Marks and Cecilia Marks, wife of Joseph H. Marks, were teachers at the Hebrew Sunday School in Columbia, S. C. during 1844 according to an article in The Occident, May 1844.

Alexander's children became men and women of prominence in New Orleans, being engaged primarily in commerce. Joseph, Jacob and Isaac were in the wholesale grocery and shipping business. Edwin was Secretary Treasurer of the Charity Hospital and Grand Master of Masons of Louisiana.

The following epitaphs, written by their contemporaries, perhaps best describe the lives of Alexander and Esther (Hetty).

Alexander's epitaph:

"In all the revelations of life he faithfully performed his duty. His children will ever venerate his memory and emulate his virtues. A long career of practical usefulness on earth ensures him of a blissful immortality in heaven."

Hetty's epitaph:

"She needs no epitaph. A life of duty, devotion and of self sacrifice almost without parallel has engraved upon the hearts of her children an undying remembrance of her virtues."

Alexander, Hetty, and the majority of their children remained of the Jewish faith. A son, Isaac N. Marks, was converted from Judaism to Christianity as a young man. Alexander died at his home on September 14, 1861, and Esther Hart Marks died on November 2, 1852. They were buried at the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery on Canal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Return to Humphrey



(MAY 5, 1817 - JULY 2, 1896)

Isaac Newton Marks, the eldest son of Alexander and Hetty Marks, was born in Charleston, S. C., May 5, 1817. Isaac was raised of the Jewish traditions of the time but was converted to Christianity as a young man. About 1836, Isaac moved to New Orleans, Louisiana, and worked a few years apprenticeship as a grocery clerk in his uncle's wholesale grocery business (E. Jacob Hart & Co.). It was not long before he established a business of his own. On February 6, 1839, Isaac married Hannah Josephine Lee, of Charleston, S. C. and they had eight children: Alexander, Henry Clay, Isaac Newton, Jr., Andrew Jackson, Edmond Hart, Miriam Lee, Isabel Leonora and Eva Juliana. After 18 years of marriage, Hannah Lee Marks died on October 5, 1857 at age 36, and was buried at Greenwood Cemetery in New Orleans.

Isaac married Leah Louise Samuels, of New York City on May 12, 1858. They had twelve children: George Peabody, Howard Addison, Sumpter Davis, Frank Sewall, Jeanette Elise, Samuel Harby, Lucius Albert, Ada Holcombe, Aurelia Inez, Henry Malvin, Louise Josephine and a stillborn child. Leah S. Marks died September 12, 1886 at age 48, after 28 years of marriage, was buried in the Marks family tomb at Greenwood Cemetery in New Orleans. Isaac now at age 70, married a third time to Ann Mary Lawler, of New Orleans. Ann was 43 years of age at the time and they were married on May 3, 1887. There were no children of this marriage. Ann L. Marks passed away on February 15, 1929 at age 85 and was also buried in the Marks family tomb at Greenwood Cemetery on Canal Street in New Orleans.

Isaac Newton is best characterized using the words of his biographer and long-standing friend, Thomas O'Connor, chief of the New Orleans fire department, "No man has been more completely identified with the public affairs and events of this city and this state than Isaac N. Marks. If you will go over the files of your paper (New Orleans Picayune) during the half century in which this man was active, you will notice that there is not a public event of importance chronicled in which his name is not prominently mentioned. In his private business life Mr. Marks was singularly successful. His business prospered without the close attention most men have devoted to theirs, and his large capacity for work enabled him to dispatch his private work with expedition and promptness, so that he had more leisure than the average man. This leisure he used always for the benefit of his fellow-citizens. He was aggressive to a degree, of iron endurance, clear of purpose and eternally active. He was a man in ten thousand, and his word was negotiable security at our banks."

Isaac began his political career around 1837 by serving two terms as councilman of the second municipal district of New Orleans. Isaac Marks was originally an old-time Whig and was a great admirer and personal friend of Henry Clay, after whom he named one of his sons. He served for four years as the chairman of the State Central Committee. Isaac was a delegate to the Louisiana State Convention, which on January 26, 1861 passed the Louisiana Ordinance of Secession. Issac Newton Marks was one of the signers of the ordinance.

In 1837, Isaac, along with other members of the American Hook and Ladder Association No. 2, organized the New Orleans State Fair Association and he was later made president of the association. He was the president of the New Orleans, Florida and Havana Steamship Company; director of the Sun Mutual Insurance Company; was president of the Mutual Aid and Benevolent Life Association; and president of the Fireman's Insurance Company when it was organized. He was president of the New Jerusalem Church Society; a religious society based on the Christian views of Emanuel Swedenborg, a Swedish scientist, inventor, and theologian. Swedenborgians emphasize one God, the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, in whom is the Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They also believe that the Holy City, New Jerusalem, is symbolic of an ideal human society. They regard Jesus as truly Immanuel, or God with us and that Emanuel Swedenborg was called by God to reveal deeper spiritual meanings in scripture, and that, when mankind accepts and practices these truths, Jesus Christ makes his second coming in spirit, not in person. For many years Isaac was also identified with the Episcopal Church of New Orleans.

The great work of his life, however, was his expansion and development of the volunteer fire department of New Orleans. His connection with the fire department dates from April 30, 1843, when he joined Perseverance No. 13 as an active member. Not long after joining, the company elected him president. His first year as president of the Fireman's Charitable Association began in December 1850 and continued until 1891. Isaac was Grand Marshall at the 35th Annual Parade of Fireman of New Orleans, on March 4, 1872. He was at the head of the procession riding his spirited grey horse dressed in a tuxedo with a brilliant red sash. The theme of the event was to honor Isaac Marks for 30 years of service and dedication to the Volunteer Fire Companies of New Orleans. During the ceremonies at Lafayette Square, Isaac was presented a sterling silver punch bowl serving set weighing 50 pounds commemorating the event. He served as president for 41 years, and in 1891 when due to declining health he resigned.

Isaac and Hannah's first son, Alexander was born on November 17, 1841 and attended the public schools of New Orleans and Princeton College through his junior year. He enlisted in the War Between the States on March 10, 1861, and was assigned to the Fifth Louisiana Infantry. After returning from the war, Alexander studied law and was admitted to the Louisiana Bar. He later became a minister at Trinity Episcopal Church in New Orleans and later was the Rector of Trinity Episcopal Church in Natchez, Mississippi.

Another son, Henry Clay Marks, was born on July 22, 1843, and enlisted as a Confederate in the War Between the States on July 22, 1861 at Camp Moore, Louisiana. He was assigned to Company B, 10th Louisiana Infantry as a 2nd Lieutenant. Henry Clay served with Company B until January 1862. On January 17, 1862 he was promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to Captain and assumed the command of Company B, 10th Louisiana Infantry. Henry Clay served as commanding officer of Company B until he was killed at the Battle of Malvern Hill on July 1, 1862.

Isaac Newton Marks, Jr. was born in New Orleans on December 8, 1845. He attended schools in New Orleans and became a minister. He moved to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin where he married Ursula Butler. Sumpter Davis Marks, was born in New Orleans on August 29, 1861 and became Secretary of the Fireman's Building Association of New Orleans.

Lucius Albert Marks was born in New Orleans on June 28, 1873, the eleventh son of Isaac and Hannah Marks. Lucius was educated in New Orleans and was a dispatcher and later in his career manager for the City of New Orleans Transportation Department. Lucius Albert married Josephine V. Gazzano (Gazano), daughter of Loius C. and Marie Gendner Gazzano of New Orleans. They had three children: Lucius Albert, Jr., Vivian Josephine, and Dorothy Louise. Lucius Albert Marks, Jr. was born on July 31, 1895 in New Orleans and became an Electrical Engineer after graduating from Loyola College. Lucius Albert, Jr. was a successful race car driver, boat builder, land developer and entrepreneur.

The following information was submitted by Lucius Albert Marks, III of Lexington, Kentucky, grandson of Lucius Albert Marks, Sr.

Lucius Albert Marks, Sr.

My grandfather lived in the Magazine Street residence (2622 Magazine; I believe my Great grandfathers house) for sometime after I. N. Marks passed away and recall my father and aunts talking about living there. They then moved to the LaSalle Street house, which my grandfather had built, just off of Napoleon and across the street from our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church and School. My grandparents remained at that location until my grandfather's death. In addition to the house on LaSalle they also owned a summerhouse on Mason Avenue, walking distance (only a few hundred feet) from waters edge, in Long Beach, Mississippi.

Lucius, Sr. began working for the New Orleans Public Service, Inc. as a dispatcher for their transportation system (StreetCars at the time). He continued working for NOPSI moving into administration or management. After NOPSI, extending his retirement deadline three times, he retired after 59 years of service.

Personal Notes: My grandfather was a kind and gentle man of good humor. I can never recall him ever being really angry or having anything negative to say about anyone. Whenever he traveled around town by streetcar or bus (he seldom used his car for trips around town) he greeted the driver by name and asked about their wife and children by names, always cheerfully, sincerely and with a smile. He had a sweet tooth and always kept candy in the house, I especially remember the large crystal jars that contained what seemed to be a never ending and self-replenishing supply of peppermint balls. These were a half-inch or so in diameter, red and white stripped, filled with pockets of air and light as a feather they dissolved in your mouth into nothingness with an explosion of minty sweetness. His popcorn balls would be the next to come to mind.

Giant gooey balls of popcorn and caramel were prepared seasonally in the fall by my grandfather. I remember his excitement in anticipation of beginning his creation and some secrecy in the exact ingredients and methodology that would result in the final product.

Lucius Albert Marks, Jr.

My father was born in 1895 and lived his first few years at the house on Magazine Street. It's my understanding, from conversations between my father and aunts to me that the Magazine house was extremely large and well staffed. (I have one of the enunciators used to call servants). I recall discussions where they described slipping away to the attic and using confederate currency they found in trunks as play money and how they were scolded later for getting dusty and dirty. From there they moved to the house my grandfather had built on LaSalle Street and there remained. This occurred when my father was nine years old. When he was 15 years he built his first car from old carriage parts, wood, bicycle chains and a one-cylinder engine (I can't recall where he had gotten the engine). He attended school across the street at Our Lady of Lourdes and also served as and Alter boy. (Too convenient. Any time another alter boy didn't show up the priest would run across the street to get my father.) As he completed school there he was offered a scholarship at Loyola.

Lucius Jr. married the first time in his mid-twenties to Florence Cecile Habert. They had one daughter Florence Vivian Marks, born on February 1, 1919. She passed away on Friday, July 7, 1922 at the age of 3 years and 5 months. I've been told that she and her mother were visiting the Habert's and she stepped on a nail. No one took her to the doctor, thinking it was so minor an injury. She developed Tetanus and died soon after. The marriage ended shortly after the child's death.

Lucius, Jr. married a second time (I'm trying to get dates and names) some years later. She passed away after they were married only a few years. During the 1920's my father was a noted race car driver, driving Dusenburg and Ford. He later designed, built and raced his own cars. The following are quotes from the New Orleans Times Picayune: Headline: "Lucius Marks to Pilot Big Dusenburg Four" First paragraph discusses the car and what's necessary to win the race. Dusenburg's owner describes the cars speed isn't the only thing needed to win the race "speed without a dyed in the wool driver" etc. The Dusenburg will be driven by L. A. Marks, one of the most daring and skillful track drivers. Marks has proven his generalship as a speed driver time after time behind the wheel of his Ford DeLuxe which copped any number of firsts in races held here (New Orleans, La.) two years ago." Another article reads: "Another car that will be heard from is L. A. Marks' speedy Dusenburg which is said to be one of the fastest cars ever brought to New Orleans. Marks is a daring and skilled driver. The thousands who saw him pilot his Ford special to victory during the races in 1921 are of the opinion that he is one of the best drivers ever seen in action at the Fair Grounds." I have others (articles) which continue to read the same over the years during his racing career. His career never slumped and why he quit racing is unclear.

His interest in racing never died and even in the mid to late 1960's racing people would come to him for advice in regard to either their cars or their methods or both.

In the 1920's (not sure of the dates) my father worked as an Electrical Engineer for the Standard Fruit and Steamship Company (Florida and Havana Steamship Company) traveling to South America and Cuba. From talks with my aunts and other older family members his travels were filled with adventure and danger. At my grandmothers continued requests, she feared for his safety, my father left Standard Fruit and Steamship Company and began working for New Orleans Public Service, Inc. as an Electrical Engineer, (he didn't care for this job at all) and at the same time opened his own business on Canal Street. This was a service station and auto repair business as well as the manufacturing of automobile batteries.

Lucius, Jr. married a third time to Dorothy Winters. They had one daughter Raydeen. In 1934 they moved from New Orleans to Long Beach, Ms. perhaps temporarily to the summer house and purchased a city block at the corner of First Street and Jeff Davis Avenue (Long Beach's Main street). Constructed there was a large warehouse, garage and service station. In addition to the normal functions of a garage and service station the warehouse was converted to a workshop where my father built racing boats, (Hydra-planes) worked on race cars and customized his own cars and built for himself a forty-five foot cabin cruiser, with twin engines and props. He continued to do this through the 1940's. Sometime in the early forty's Dorothy, who didn't care for Long Beach and wanted to move back to New Orleans, divorced my father and moved with Raydeen. During World War II Lucius, Jr., too old for the military, worked at Gulfport Field as an Aircraft mechanic, I believe later in the war heading that department, while continuing to maintain his business in Long Beach.

My mother, who was from Corbin, Kentucky moved to Gulfport (Ms.) to live with her sister who's husband was stationed there as a pilot. What was to be a short visit turned into a long stay. She began working at Day's Drug Store in Gulfport, my father's favorite place for coffee (he was also good friends with Mr. Day) My father and mother meet there and were later married. Soon after marriage Dorothy would not allow Raydeen to visit with any frequency and even this became less and less. Finally Dorothy and Raydeen moved from New Orleans (perhaps California). My father tried to locate them but was unsuccessful. From what I can find out they both passed away.

My father bought a house at 453 Pineville Road in Long Beach, my father and mother lived there until he died in 1989. My mother continued to live there until a few years ago moving to Dayton, Ohio to be near her sister and me.

My father never talked much about his life before he married my mother, so details from that period are lacking. I can say without a doubt that my father was a man's man, he was strong in body and character, tough yet gentle. He was stern and didn't show his emotions too often but there wasn't anything he wouldn't do to make his family happy or help a friend. Everything he did was to perfection and there seemed to be no task he couldn't undertake. He never looked his age and until just two years before his death was active and healthy. After he found out he has cancer (in his 90's) he told no one until the last. He fought it at home without medical help or any serious drugs. He was hospitalized just a week or so before his death.

Occupation: My father's occupation is hard to define. He was an Electrical Engineer, Race car driver, Auto Mechanic, Aircraft Mechanic, Developed Land and Real Estate, Developed Subdivisions, Owned a Tung Nut Plantation (which was later subdivided) and traded in precious stones and metals after his retirement or perhaps semi-retirement would be a better description. He never really retired until the very end.

Isaac Newton Marks died Thursday, July 2, 1896, at 4:00 P.M. in New Orleans, Louisiana and was buried at Greenwood Cemetery in the Marks family tomb. He led a very distinguished life of serving the State of Louisiana, his community, the Volunteer Fire Department and the City of New Orleans.

Return to Humphrey


Rev. Alexander Marks

(November 17, 1841 - August 28, 1886)

Alexander Marks was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, the eldest son of Isaac Newton and Hannah Josephine Lee Marks. He attended the public schools of New Orleans and was valedictorian of his high school graduating class. Alexander along with his brother Henry Clay entered Princeton College and at the outbreak of the war of Southern Independence Alexander was a junior and ranked second in his class. The brothers returned to their native New Orleans, Louisiana and enlisted as confederate soldiers.

Alexander enlisted on June 30, 1861 and was assigned to the 15th Louisiana Infantry, Company A, as Junior 2nd Lieutenant. He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on August 30, 1862 and to 1st Lieutenant on October 30, 1862. On July 3, 1862, during the Battle of Seven Days, Alexander was captured and was taken to Governors Island, New York, then transferred to Fort Warren, Boston Harbor, Massachusetts on July 8, 1862. On July 31, 1862 he was transferred to Fort Monroe, Virginia for prisoner exchange. Alexander was exchanged at Aikens Landing, Virginia on August 5, 1862 and returned to his company. He was appointed as Adjutant of the 15th Louisiana Infantry on November 4, 1862. He served with the 15th Louisiana Infantry as Adjutant until April 15, 1865 when the Army of Northern Virginia under the command of General Robert E. Lee surrendered at Lynchburg, Virginia. Alexander returned to his home in New Orleans where he continued his education and majored in law.

Alexander continued his education and received a degree in Law and was admitted to the Louisiana Bar. Alexander joined the law firm of Lacey, Butler & Marks in New Orleans. Always having been of a religious tendency, he took distaste to the legal profession and was determined to become a minister. This was a pleasant task for him and Bishop Wilmer of New Orleans ordained him an Episcopal minister. For some time after his ordination he served as Rector of Trinity Chapel, on Rampart Street in New Orleans.

Alexander married Rebecca Butler, whom he met in Norfolk, Virginia about 1867. Rebecca's was named after her mother and the Butler family was somewhat large with Rebecca having four brothers and three sisters. From data obtained from the 1850 census of Virginia, Norfolk County, the Butler household did not list a head of household. Rebecca Butler was listed as age 8. Her mother, also named Rebecca was 40 years old and was born in Virginia. The other children listed were: Anne age 19, William age 17, Charles age 15, John age 12, Edward age 9, Jane age 5, and Elizabeth age 3. Rebecca Butler is also listed in the 1870 census as age 61.

Alexander and Rebecca had five sons: Wilkinson Penrose, Alexander Beckwith, William Butler, John H. and Henry Clay (Harry) and also a daughter Rebecca Butler. Wilkinson Penrose was born in Charlottesville, Va. in 1866, Alexander Beckwith was born in New Orleans on August 17, 1868. Alexander, Jr. was a banker and married Emily Jane Feltus, the daughter of Lovick Ventrus Feltus and Ella Eugenia Randolph. Ella R. Feltus was a descendant of John Hampden Randolph, a prominent Louisiana planter, the owner of Nottoway Plantation. Alexander B. and Emily Jane had three children: Alexander, Lovick Feltus and Emily Randolph. Alexander was born in Bastrop, Louisiana on September 18, 1892. He married Florence Coughlin of Natchez, Mississippi. Alexander Beckwith was an engineer with the Otis Elevator Company in Chicago, Illinois and New York. Alexander B. died at age 59 in New York City on December 11, 1951. He was stricken suddenly with a Cerebral Hemorrhage while serving as a juror of Court of General Sessions in New York. Alexander was buried at National Cemetery in Natchez, Mississippi. Florence C. Marks returned to Natchez, Mississippi where she lived until her death on September 30, 1973. She was buried next to her husband at National Cemetery.

In 1874 Alexander was called to Trinity Episcopal Church, Natchez, Mississippi to serve as Rector. Dr. Marks was very much esteemed by his congregation and by the clergy of the Episcopal Church, not only in Louisiana and Mississippi, but also throughout the country. He had been one of the delegates from Mississippi to the general Convention of the church for 1883 - 1885. From 1883 - 1885 Alexander published and edited a monthly church paper at Natchez called the Church News. He worked to have the sanctuary remodeled and just before his death obtained from a member of his congregation a donation of $10,000 for the building of a Sunday School addition. Alexander died before this addition could be completed. The building stands today at Trinity Episcopal Church in Natchez, Mississippi and is used for administrative offices and education.

Alexander was held with the highest respect of the people of his parish, the citizens of Natchez and fellow ministers of Mississippi and Louisiana. He was a man of liberal and thorough culture, a fine and impressive speaker and a sincere and devoted Christian. His prudent management both of the spiritual and temporal affairs of his parish resulted in a large increase in membership and the working qualities of those connected with Trinity Church. His cool, clear head and his warm and generous heart gained for him the love and respect of his fellow clergy, and he took the very highest stand in the councils of the diocese.

Rebecca Butler Marks lived for many years after Alexander's death. Mrs. Marks was active in the cultural and social life of Natchez. She was a well-respected member of Trinity Episcopal Church. She was friendly and sympathetically helpful to people of all sorts and conditions; keenly interested in current events; and kept abreast of the world's progress. Rebecca was a devoted mother, raising her children as Christians. She remained in Natchez, Mississippi until her death on August 12, 1934 at age 92.

Return to Humphrey



(JUNE 29, 1818 - MAY 15, 1894)

Joseph Hart Marks was the second son of Alexander and Hetty Marks. He was born on June 29, 1818, in New York City. His parents moved to Columbia, S. C. while Joseph was a young child. Joseph was raised of the Jewish faith and traditions and remained of the faith until his death. On November 24, 1841, Joseph and Cecilia Abrams of Charleston were married at K. K. Beth Elohim Synagogue in Charleston. Joseph's parents and grandparents, as well as Cecilia's family were members. Shortly after marriage Joseph and Cecilia moved to New Orleans with Joseph's parents. Joseph worked as a grocery clerk for a number of years and later entered into partnership with his brother Isaac N. Marks and brother-in-law Benjamin Emmanuel. The firm did a very large business, and in the course of years the name was changed to Fatjo & Marks.

Joseph and Cecilia had a very large family of 13 children, their names being: Harold, Katharine, Esther, Joseph Harrod, Cecil A., Frank A., Henrietta, Ida, Alfred J., Frances M., Walter Scott, Adaline, and Josephine. When the War Between the States broke out, Joseph's sympathies were entirely with the Confederacy (South), and this caused enormous losses in money and property. Confederate records indicate that Joseph H. Marks enlisted for the War Between the States as a Confederate private on March 8, 1862, with Company H, Confederate Guards Regiment, Louisiana Militia. He was found to be over the age requirement on April 26, 1862, and was transferred to Maj. Gen. Mansfield Lovell for local defense of the city of New Orleans. This lasted for a short time before he moved to New York City, during General Butler's occupancy of New Orleans. Joseph and Cecilia also lived for a time during the war years in Columbia, S. C. and were living in Columbia when Gen. Sherman burned a major part of the city in February 1865. A daughter Ada Annie Marks was born the day after Columbia was burned. When the war ended, Joseph returned to New Orleans. He refused to take the oath of allegiance, and, in consequence all of his possessions were confiscated. Joseph recovered from this and went back into the grocery business in which he succeeded to a certain degree, but never attained the height of prosperity and fortune, which had marked his antebellum career. He was Vice-president of the Hope Insurance Company for several years, and in 1888 he retired from the business arena.

It was said that Joseph was gifted with brilliant conversational powers and with a most retentive and accurate memory. Joseph Marks could tell things of long ago, speak of scenes, which he had witnessed, and of men he had met fifty or more years earlier, and his fund of interesting narratives was almost inexhaustible. He was a most upright conscientious man, strong and reliable in his affections for family and friends, and was the very personification of integrity. Joseph devoted almost all of his time in his declining years to the care of his invalid wife, who died on May 15, 1894, at the age of 72. He continued to be healthy in his old age, taking long walks in the morning until the last month before his death.

The children of Joseph and Cecilia: Katharine Marks married Allen L. Mordecai and lived in New York City; Cecil and Frank A. also lived in New York City. Esther Marks married Isaac Scherck, and Ida married Rabbi Maximilian Heller who was residents of New Orleans. Henrietta married Ludwig Jaffe and they resided in Hamburg, Germany. Rabbi Max Heller and Ida were married in 1889 and had four children. Their names were Isaac Heller, a New Orleans attorney; James G. Heller a Rabbi and gifted musician in Cincinnati, Ohio; Ruth Heller and Cecile Marks Heller. Max Heller was the Rabbi of Temple Sinai in New Orleans, Louisiana for 40 years.

Joseph Hart Marks died in New Orleans peacefully and in full possession of his faculties on January 30, 1907, at the home of his son-in-law Rabbi Max Heller, who also gave the eulogy. Joseph and his wife are both buried at the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery on Canal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana, as well as many of their children.

Return to Humphrey



(FEBRUARY, 1828 - MAY 13, 1893)

David H. Marks was born in Columbia, S. C. in 1828, the son of Alexander and Esther (Hetty) Hart Marks. David was raised of the Jewish faith and also married of it. At the age of twenty he moved to New Orleans, Louisiana, with his parents, brothers and sisters. David's brothers, Joseph and Isaac N. were already well-established wholesale grocers in New Orleans and he worked in their business. David was quite industrious, saved his money, and gained the experience necessary to start his own grocery business. David married Annie E. Ellis of Charleston, S. C., seven daughters and six sons were born to them. Their daughters were Mary Nathalie, Lily, Louisa Wagner, Elvina Isadora, Esther Rosa Ellis and Viola their son's names were David H. Jr., George E., Lewis Ellis, Sumpter Alexander, Harry Simpson, and Calhoun.

The War between the States began a short time after David began his own business. He enlisted for service as a Confederate on June 19, 1861, at the rank of second lieutenant in Company I, Eighteenth Louisiana Infantry.36 He was appointed captain of the "Marks" Company (Quitman Rifles), on September 2, 1861 with the Twenty-second and Twenty-third Louisiana Infantry. Near the end of the war, when General Butler occupied the city of New Orleans, David refused to take the oath of allegiance and was compelled to leave the city and return to his boyhood home in Columbia, South Carolina. At the close of the war, David and his family went to Mobile, Alabama, where he lived until 1872, and returned to New Orleans. He was appointed as special agent of the Treasury Department and then employed with the firm of John I. Adams & Co. where he remained for six or seven years and retired from mercantile business.

David H. Marks died in New Orleans, Wednesday, May 13, 1893, at his home, No. 251 Eighth Street. His wife Anna Ellis Marks died in New Orleans, September 16, 1897. David is buried beside his wife and the majority of their children at the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery on Canal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Return to Humphrey



(1833 - April 27, 1888)

Theodore Marks was the son of Alexander and Esther (Hetty) Hart Marks, born in Columbia, S. C., in 1833. Theodore was raised of the Jewish faith and traditions, lived in Columbia, S. C., until the late 1840s when he moved to New Orleans, Louisiana with his family. He returned to Columbia and married Olivia Polock on November 11, 1857.

Theodore and Olivia had three children: The eldest son, Percey, was born in New Orleans in 1863, Addie was born in 1866, and Theodore, Jr., was born September 29, 1867 and died on May 13, 1917 in New Orleans. Percey and Addie died at young ages and are buried at Dispersed of Judah Cemetery in New Orleans, Louisiana. Theodore, Jr. married a cousin Emma Marks, the daughter of Washington and Sarah Samuels Marks. Emma died in New Orleans on September 24, 1904. Both Emma and Theodore Jr., are buried at Dispersed of Judah Cemetery. Olivia Polock died in New Orleans, on March 28, 1871 at the age of 33 and was buried at Dispersed of Judah Cemetery on Canal Street in New Orleans.

Theodore re-married after the death of Olivia to Adelaide F. Pollock and they had one child Elias P. he died as an infant on May 15, 1860 and was buried at Dispersed of Judah Cemetery in New Orleans, Louisiana. Adelaide died on November 6, 1887, at age 53 and is also buried at the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery.

Theodore enlisted as a Confederate private in the War Between the States on March 8, 1862 with Company H, Confederate Guards Regiment Louisiana Militia. He was transferred on enlistment, at the request of Governor T. O. Moore, to Major General Mansfield Lovell, C. S. A. for the local defense of New Orleans. Theodore was a stockbroker for a number of years and was appointed to a clerkship in the City Treasurer's office and later was appointed jury commissioner. Theodore was a Master Mason and member of Perfect Union Lodge Number 1, F. & A. M. in New Orleans, Louisiana.

It is said, that Theodore Marks was a gentleman, well and favorably known in New Orleans. He died at his home on Magazine Street on April 26, 1888, at the age of fifty-five. He is buried at the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery on Canal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana, with his family and children.

Return to Humphrey



(OCTOBER 9, 1834 - AUGUST 13, 1890)

Washington Marks, the son of Alexander and Esther (Hetty) Hart Marks, was born in Columbia, S. C., October 9, 1834.48 He was raised in the Jewish traditions and customs of the times. At the age of ten, his family moved to Charleston and soon after to New Orleans, Louisiana. In 1849, Washington entered commercial life, beginning his career in the office of Joseph H. Lagdain, agent of the Union Mutual Insurance Company of New York. Desiring to broaden his commercial experience, Washington was employed by George Foster & Co., where he remained until 1852. Washington then accepted an offer from his brothers Joseph and Isaac to work with their wholesale grocery business and remained until the outbreak of The War Between the States in 1861. Washington was also active in the fire department as was his brother Isaac. Washington became a life member of the Washington Steam Fire Engine Company Number 20, of New Orleans. On December 9, 1857, Washington married Sarah, the daughter of Mark A. Samuels of New Orleans. Seven children were born to Washington and Sarah, Washington A. and Harrod H. were twins born in 1873. Washington A. died in New Orleans, Louisiana and is buried at the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery on Canal Street. Harrod H. is also buried at Dispersed of Judah Cemetery. Five other children Emma, Isabel, Everard, Julia and Fannie were born to Washington and Sarah. Emma, Julia and Fannie are buried at Dispersed of Judah Cemetery. Everard died at Plaquemine, Louisiana on October 20, 1908 and is buried at the Hebrew Rest Cemetery in New Orleans.

According to Confederate records, Washington enlisted into the Louisiana Confederate service on September 17, 1861. He was mustered into CSA service and commissioned to the rank of captain on October 22, 1861 serving with Companies H, F and S of the 22nd and 23rd Louisiana Infantry. Records also indicate that Washington was twice a Prisoner of War, first at the Battle of Vicksburg and secondly on May 12, 1865 with Taylor's Corps. Washington was appointed to the rank of major on May 2, 1863 and commanded the Appalachee Battery near Mobile, Alabama, from January 1 through October 1864.

A different account is summarized as follows: Washington, with the aid of his brothers, Joseph and Isaac, organized the Washington Light Infantry Company. The command was mustered into service of the State and was ordered by General Twiggs to Jackson barracks below the city where it was quartered until the spring of 1863. The company was then transferred to Ship Island, Mississippi. Several months later, Washington's company returned to New Orleans where Washington, assisted by his brothers, organized and equipped the Twiggs Rifles, Company B. The Washington company was ordered to Fort Quitman on Bayou Grand Caillou, Parish of Terrebonne, which was then garrisoned by the Twiggs Rifles, Company A, under command of his brother David Marks. In February 1862, the two companies were ordered to Bayou Lafourohe and directed to construct fortifications at a point forty miles from its mouth. In April 1862, the evacuation of the post was ordered by General Lovell. Returning to New Orleans, Washington found Farragut's fleet before the city, was taken prisoner and paroled, he was finally exchanged at Jackson, Mississippi, on October 14, 1862. Captain Marks was then ordered to Vicksburg and subsequently to Enterprise, Miss. Upon his return he found his commission as major of the Twenty-second Louisiana awaiting him and, under instructions from General Dabney H. Maury, repaired the Battery Huger. With a brief interval during which Colonel Brown was in charge, Major Marks retained the command until the evacuation of the forts and then went to Mobile. He was ordered then to Domopolis, Alabama, and later to Cuba Station, where he first heard the news of Lee's surrender, and Meridian, Mississippi, where he was attached to General Gibson's brigade. Given the detail of this account, I would assume it to be passed down to family members by Washington himself.

The Vicksburg battleground in Vicksburg, Mississippi has erected a bronze monument dedicated to Washington Marks and the Twenty-second and Twenty-third regiments in recognition of their service at the battle there. At the end of the war in April of 1865, Washington returned to New Orleans and entered the brokerage business in which he continued until October 1865 when he formed a business connection with the Brokerage House of Schmidt & Ziegler.

In 1878, Mr. Marks entered political life, was elected Administrator of Assessment on the regular Democratic ticket. His term expired in 1880, and he resumed his commercial life in which he continued until 1884. Washington was appointed by President Grover Cleveland as Superintendent of Warehouses. The installation of the Harrison administration brought about a change in this as in many other offices, and Mr. Marks was superseded.

Washington Marks died at his home in New Orleans, Louisiana, 233 Magazine Street, near St. Joseph, on August 14, 1890. Sarah S. Marks died in New Orleans on November 10, 1899. Washington Marks, his wife Sarah, and children are buried at the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery on Canal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Return to Humphrey




(July 30, 1836 - March 15, 1909)

Edwin Marks, the son of Alexander and Esther (Hetty) Hart Marks, was born in Columbia, S. C., July 30, 1836. He was raised of the Jewish faith, customs and traditions of the times. Around 1844, at the age of eight, Edwin moved with his parents to Memphis, Tennessee. After only three years Edwin and his parents moved to New Orleans, Louisiana. Edwin was educated in the public schools of New Orleans, and was one of the early graduates of the public high schools. He was engaged for some years in commercial pursuits until 1857 when he opened a western products trading house. In 1859, Edwin married Fannie Ellis, daughter of George Ellis of New Orleans. Fannie died November 12, 1860, at age 20, leaving an infant son; Nathaniel L. Fannie was buried at Dispersed of Judah Cemetery in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Edwin enlisted for the War Between the States on April 28, 1861, as a Confederate private in Captain Green's Company, Louisiana Guards. This company became Company B, First Louisiana Infantry with the army of Northern Virginia. About six months later the First Louisiana was transferred to the Artillery service and was then known as the Louisiana Guard Artillery under the command of Captain Louis D'Aquin. Edwin's first engagement was with the gunboat "Daylight" of Hampton Roads. He fought with Green's Company, Stonewall Jackson's Corp. in the battles of: Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas, Chantilly, Sharpsburg, Chancellorsville, Winchester and Gettysburg. In the fight at Rappahannock Bridge, Virginia on November 7, 1863, the battery met disaster; all guns and many of the men were captured. Among the prisoners, Edwin Marks was sent to Washington, D.C., and then to Point Lookout, Maryland, on November 11, 1863. He was exchanged after four months imprisonment at Richmond, Virginia. Rejoining his company, which after the loss of their guns served as cavalry, or horse artillery, with Generals: Stuart, Hampton and Fitz Hugh Lee throughout the campaigning from the Wilderness to Petersburg. Edwin Marks was wounded on October 27, 1864 at the battle of Hatchers Run by a minie ball which struck the back of his head, fortunately he suffered only a fractured skull. It is said that Edwin found the minie ball that had nearly ended his life and kept it as a gruesome souvenir of the heroic struggle between the North and South. Edwin was assigned to clerical duty in the auditor's department at Richmond, Virginia and was paroled at Charlotte, North Carolina, May 3, 1865, after General Robert E. Lee surrendered his sword to General Ulysses S. Grant April, 1865.

In 1866, Edwin Marks married Sarah W. Levin of New Orleans. Nine children were born to Edwin and Sarah, but only four are known: Edwin, Jr., was born 1862; Hampton was born on January 5, 1883; Lottie, and Florence Marks. After returning from the war, Edwin continued his career and served as Secretary and Treasurer of the Charity Hospital of New Orleans, until retirement.

It is written that Edwin proved himself a man of exceeding good judgement and ability, and often the distinguished gentlemen composing the board of administrators of the Charity Hospital confided in him and deferred to his judgement in many important matters. Edwin, although nearing his seventy's maintained an extraordinary vigor, both physical and mental. At every meeting of the Board of Administrators of the Charity Hospital he was the first to arrive, and always ready to give all information on every matter pertaining to his duties, however far back the query might lead him.

In 1857, when hardly 21 years of age, Edwin joined the Free Masons order, and was admitted as a member to Dudley Lodge No. 66 and after having received the degree of Entered Apprentice, attained that of a Fellow Craft and raised to the degree of a Master Mason. Afterwards, he was elected to various positions in the lodge, one of which was Worshipful Master. He served in this capacity for several terms. In 1887, Dudley Lodge No. 66 consolidated with Perfect Union Lodge No. 1.

Edwin Marks was elected to the Grand Lodge of Louisiana to serve as Grand Junior Warden in 1872; Grand Senior Warden in 1873 and 1874; Deputy Grand Master in 1877 and 1878, and Most Worshipful Grand Master in 1879 and 1880. He was a member of the Board of the Grand Lodge Hall of Directors, served on eight committees of the Grand Lodge, and Chairman of the Committees on Appeal and Grievances. Edwin was also an active member of the Scottish Rite and York Rite Masonic bodies of Louisiana.

Edwin Marks was prominently identified with the Veteran Confederate Organization, Army of Northern Virginia of New Orleans, Louisiana. In 1875, he became affiliated with the Benevolent Association, Louisiana Division, Army of Northern Virginia Camp Number 1, served on many committees and was elected president of the association from 1894 - 1895. Edwin also served as a member of the board of directors of the Soldiers Home of which he was also president in 1894.

Mr. Marks, in his long career, never deviated from the strict path of duty and honor. He was the best of fathers and ideal friend. His sense of integrity and of exact fulfillment of all obligations was remarkable, and yet he was very kind and charitable towards all

Edwin Marks died at his home, 5225 Perrier Street, in New Orleans, Louisiana, and is buried at the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery on Canal Street.64 Edwin's wife, Sarah L. Marks, died on November 16, 1913;65 Edwin Jr. died January 11, 1931; Hampton Marks died December 30, 1938; Florence L. died March 24, 1940; all are buried at Dispersed of Judah Cemetery.

Return to Humphrey



(NOVEMBER 29, 1839 - JUNE 12, 1898)

Marion H. Marks was born November 29, 1839, in Columbia, South Carolina, and was the son of Alexander and Esther (Hetty) Hart Marks. He was raised in the Jewish faith and Jewish traditions and customs of the times. At a young age, he moved with his parents to New Orleans, Louisiana. Marion married Louisa A. Ellis of New Orleans, and together had four children. Very little is known of the children except their names. Ellis was born on February 12, 1877 and died May 7, 1877. He was buried at the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery in New Orleans, Louisiana. The other children are Elvin A., Anna E., and Mrs. Gus Werner (married name). Anna E. Marks died June 10, 1941, and is buried at Dispersed of Judah Cemetery.

Marion H. Marks enlisted in the War Between the States as a Confederate private on April 15, 1861 and was assigned to Company A, First Spec. Battalion (Righter's) Louisiana Infantry. His age was 27; eyes: hazel; hair: black; complexion: dark; height: 5 ft. 10 inches. He was commissioned as second lieutenant on October 22, 1861, and assigned to Captain (David) Marks' Company Twenty-second and Twenty-third Louisiana Infantry and promoted to captain on March 2, 1863. He was captured by Federal Troops and exchanged on October 9, 1862, then reported for duty at Vicksburg, Mississippi. He was also listed on roster dated December 16, 1862, at Fort Hill, near Vicksburg and listed on roster of November, 1863, at Enterprise Mississippi. Marion was on register of Prisoners of War, Taylor's Corps. Where he was paroled May 9, 1865, by authority of E. R. S. Canby.

Marion H. Marks died June 12, 1898, at his home 3731 Magazine Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. His wife Louisa E. Marks died January 2, 1915, at age 72. Marion and Louisa are buried at the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery on Canal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Return to Humphrey



(December 2, 1790 - June 22, 1886)

Elias Marks, the second son of Humphrey and Frances Marks, was born in Charleston, S. C., on December 2, 1790. Elias was raised according to Jewish traditions of the time and attended K. K. Beth Elohim Synagogue in Charleston. It is written, that Elias was converted from Judaism to Christianity by his Negro nurse. Elias attended public schools in Charleston, S. C. and graduated from The College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City in 1815. Elias was a physician by degree but an educator by choice. From 1817 until 1828, Elias was the principal of The Columbia Female Academy at the Corner of Washington and Marion Streets in Columbia, S. C.

Elias was an author and several of his works were published including: "Aphorisms of Hippocrates from the Latin version of Verhoofd" in 1817, "Discourse on the Progress of Medical Science" in 1821, a pamphlet "A Discourse on the Sophistication of Medical Theory" in 1821, which was read before the Medical Board at Columbia and The Physico-Medical Society, of which Elias was a fellow. Elias also authored a textbook for the Columbia Female Academy entitled Questions Analytically Adapted to Dr. Samuel Whelpley's Compendum of History in 1825. Dr. Elias Marks is listed in Who Was Who in America 1607 - 1896.

In 1826, Elias addressed a memorial to the S. C. Legislature on behalf of "Female Education", but the connection to whom it was referred deemed it "inexpedient to legislate on the subject". Hence, Dr. Marks undertook singly that which was deemed inexpedient for many.

Elias married Jane Barham in New York City on April 13, 1816 and together they had four children. Frances, the eldest daughter, was born February 7, 1817, and died an infant. Edward F. was born in 1818 and died on March 31, 1830, at the age of 12. Barham their second son, was born in April, 1822 and died on November 15, 1833 at age 11. John B. was born in June, 1827 and died on December 28, 1833. Jane Barham died shortly after giving birth to John B. on June 24, 1827. Jane Barham Marks and her children, although Christians, are buried at the Hebrew Benevolent Society Cemetery (Deleon Section) in Columbia, S. C. During the time Elias was married to Jane Barham he was principal of the Columbia Female Academy, and Jane was an educator at the Academy.

After the death of Jane Barham, Elias became principal and owner of South Carolina Female Collegiate Institute, at Barhamville, an exclusive women's college near Columbia, S. C., which officially went into operation on October 1, 1828, and continued until 1861.

Elias hired as head mistress Mrs. Julia Pierpont Warne of New Haven, Connecticut, and on January 24, 1832 they were married at Barhamville. Five children were born to Julia and Elias. Three of the children (Joannah Barham, Julia Frances Pierpont and Laura Elizabeth) died at early ages. It is not certain where the children were buried, but there is a plot dedicated to their memory at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral Cemetery, Columbia, S. C.

Edwina Pierpont Marks was born to Julia and Elias in Columbia, S. C., on January 30, 1835. She was educated at public schools in Columbia and attended the S. C. Female Collegiate Institute. Edwina was a fluent French scholar and gifted musician. Edwina, along with a long time friend, Pamela Cunningham also a graduate of S. C. Female Collegiate Institute, organized the Mt. Vernon Preservation Society and worked to restore Mt. Vernon and register it as a national monument. She married William N. Chamberlin of Gibson, Pennsylvania on October 25, 1880, while living in Washington, D. C. William Chamberlin served in the First Pennsylvania Cavalry (Federal Army). Edwina M. Chamberlin died in Washington, D. C., on December 25, 1918, and is buried beside her husband at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia.

A son Edward J. Marks was born in Columbia, S. C. on March 31, 1841. He attended public schools in Columbia, The Collegiate and Commercial Institute in New Haven, Connecticut from 1854 until 1855, Jamaica Plain in Boston, Massachusetts in 1857, and Harvard College from 1858 until August 1861. Edward Marks served as Deputy Naval Officer of U. S. Customs in Charleston, S. C., from 1866 until 1869. He was admitted to the New York Bar in 1875 and appointed to the Surrogate's Court of Plattsburgh, New York, in 1880. Edward published a genealogy of the Pierpont family that was recorded in The Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. He never married and died in Plattsburgh, New York on May 7, 1912, and was buried at Riverside Cemetery there.

The South Carolina Female Collegiate Institute at Barhamville was destroyed on February 18, 1869, by a fire cinders which were blown by strong winds from a chimney at the caretakers house. All was destroyed but a laboratory building. Barhamville estate, not being insured, was a total loss.

Dr. Elias Marks was a pioneer of the higher education of women in South Carolina. Elias Marks died in Washington, D. C., on June 22, 1886, at age 95, and was buried at Oakhill Cemetery, Washington, D. C. His wife Julia Pierpont Marks also died in Washington, D. C., on June 21, 1878 and is also buried at Oakhill Cemetery.

Return to Humphrey



(1793 - July 20, 1849)

Frederick H. Marks was born in Charleston, S. C. in 1793,89 the third son of Humphrey and Frances Marks. He was raised in the Jewish traditions and customs of the times but was converted to Christianity, perhaps influenced by his brother Elias. He was a graduate of the Philadelphia Medical School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1822. Dr. Frederick opened his practice in Columbia, S. C. On July 19, 1834. Frederick married Ann L. and they had three daughters: Frances, Rebecca and Elizabeth and four sons: Frederick H. Jr., Oscar L, Thomas H., and Edward B. Frances was born in Columbia in 1826 and married Josiah A. Patton, of Williamsburg, New York. Josiah Patton and Frances were residents of Columbia, S. C. Josiah was a printer and pressman and employed by The Register Newspaper. Josiah died on February 15, 1899 and Frances Marks Patton died between 1900 and 1910. Frances and Josiah had two sons Josiah A., Jr. and James. Rebecca Jane was born in Columbia in 1828, and attended the Female Collegiate Institute, she later married Richmond Hawley of Columbia. Elizabeth was also born in Columbia in 1840 her whereabouts are unknown. Oscar L. was born in 1836; he enlisted for service in the War Between the States, but was absent without leave at the second muster. Oscar was admitted to the S. C. State Hospital for the Insane at times during his lifetime. Edward B. was born in 1848, he was married to Nellie _____ and had children but little is known of them. He spent 30 years of his life in the S. C. State Hospital for the Insane in Columbia, S. C. Edward died while a patient on August 22, 1918, and was buried at the State Hospital Cemetery in Columbia. Frederick Humphrey, Jr., was born in Columbia, S. C. on February 6, 1831. Thomas Humphrey Marks was born in Columbia, S. C. in 1844.

Dr. Frederick H. died at his home in Columbia, S. C. on July 20, 1849, and is buried at Washington Street Methodist Church Cemetery. Church expansion necessitated the building of a church wing over the cemetery since that time. Ann L. passed away after Frederick, I would assume that Ann is buried at Washington Street Methodist Church beside her husband.

Return to Humphrey



(February 6, 1831 - July 24, 1902)

Frederick Humphrey Jr., was born in Columbia, S. C., on February 6, 1831. He was the first son born to Frederick H. and Ann L. Marks. Frederick, Jr., attended schools in Columbia and began a trade in newspaper printing. On December 3, 1851, Frederick, Jr. married Emily Jane Snead, the daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Snead of Colleton County. A daughter Annie E. was born to them in 1853. Emily Jane died on June 24, 1853, and is buried in Columbia, S. C. Frederick then married Emily Jane's sister, Rebecca Meadows Snead on July 27, 1854. A son, Frederick was born to them in 1855. Rebecca died on October 17, 1855 at her parent's home in Colleton County. Their maternal grandparents Robert and Elizabeth Snead raised Annie E. and Frederick. Frederick, notwithstanding married Mary E. S., the daughter of Francis Ballard of Sumter, S. C., and to them was born two daughters ( Ellen and Babie) and four sons (Richardson Stuart, Authur K., Julian A., and John K.) Ellen was born in 1860 and Babie was born in 1862. They are recorded as daughters of Frederick and Mary E. S. in the S. C. census of 1870 and 1880. I have been unable to research further into the lives of Ellen and Babie Marks. Richardson Stuart was born on July 4, 1858, and died in Columbia on December 27, 1940. Authur K. was born in 1866, moved to Texas and later to New York City, New York. Julian Augustus was born in 1868, and died October 20, 1871. Julian is buried at the First Presbyterian Church, Columbia, S. C. John Knox was born in Columbia, S. C., moved to Texas with his brother Authur K. and later settled in New York City. I am uncertain when or where he died.

It is said that the day after Columbia was burned (February 16, 1865) by Federal Gen. W. T. Sherman's troops, Frederick Jr., helped restore the printing press to operation at the Daily Phoenix so that the tragic event could be recorded.

Frederick H. Marks Jr. died at his home in Columbia, S. C., on July 24, 1902, and was buried at The First Presbyterian Church Cemetery. Mary E. S. Marks died on April 9, 1905, and was also buried at First Presbyterian Church. I have been unable to locate their graves, but the descendants of Frederick and Mary are buried in the MARKS family plot at First Presbyterian Cemetery.

Return to Humphrey



(July 4, 1858 - December 27, 1940)

Richardson Stuart Marks was the first born son of Frederick and Mary E. S. Marks. He was born in Columbia, S. C. on July 4, 1858, and attended the schools of the time. Richardson Stuart was brought up in the First Presbyterian Church of Columbia where his mother and father worshiped. In 1886, Miss Harriette A. Haynsworth of Sumter, the daughter of James L. Haynsworth, and Richardson were married. According to the S. C. Census of 1900, three sons (Richardson, Jr., Harry A. and Authur K.) and four daughters (Mary, Ellen, Elma and Annie) were born to them. Richardson Stuart was a member of the Phoenix Hook and Ladder Company in the days of Columbia's volunteer fire department and was a member of The Govoners Guard commanded by General Willie Jones (late 1800 - early 1900). Richardson Stuart spent his life as a printer and retired with Jones Printing Company of Columbia. He was the oldest member of the Columbia Typographical Union No. 34 at his death.

Richard S. Marks, Jr. was born on December 18, 1887. He married Miss Edna Teague, and together they had one son, Samuel Buchanan, and a daughter, Harriet. Richard resided in Columbia and for twenty years worked with the S. C. State Highway Department. He also worked with Dupre Motor Company of Columbia for twenty years. Richard, Jr. died in Columbia on December 17, 1959 at age 72. He is buried at the First Presbyterian Churchyard. Authur Kennedy Marks was born on June 3, 1892. He was employed by Dupre Printing Company and James Printing Company. Authur was also a veteran of World War I. For a number of years he lived in Rochester, New York. Authur K. Marks died in Surmount, New York on March 2, 1948 and was buried at The First Presbyterian Church in Columbia.

Elma Marks was born in Columbia in 1896. She married Harry N. Edmonds of Lexington. Elma Marks Edmonds was a secretary for the U. S. Treasury Department and a life long member of the First Presbyterian Church of Columbia. She died on November 23, 1989, at age 93 and is buried at The First Presbyterian Church, Columbia, S. C.

Mary Marks was born in Columbia on June 14, 1889. Mary married William A. Harrison of Columbia and a son James Edwin was born to them on December 25, 1918. Mary died on October 1, 1945, at age 56. Mary is buried at The First Presbyterian Church in Columbia beside her son, James E. Harrison, who died April 8, 1971.

When Arsenal Hill Presbyterian Church, Columbia, S. C. was organized, Richardson was a charter member and for many years was on its Board of Deacons. He was also one of the founding members of the First Presbyterian Church of New Brookland in Lexington County, now the city of West Columbia.

He was greatly interested in the work of the Masons. A life member of Richland Masonic Lodge No. 39 A. F. M. of Columbia. For 50 years he served as Tiler of Richland Lodge, he was a Thirty-second Degree Mason of the Scottish Rite and York Rite Consistories of S. C.

During the Civil War, when General Sherman's union forces captured Columbia in February, 1865, the Marks family home was occupied by union troops. The family and children were forced out of the home and onto the lawn. Richardson Stuarts' obituary quotes: "He (Richardson S.) saw Columbia burn around him, when as a small boy he was put on a mattress under a tree at the family home." The family home was located on the 1700 block of Main Street, five blocks from the state capital building.

Richardson once said, "The stork dropped me here in 1858, and I have never left here to live any other place, and I do not want to live anywhere else." So he spent his long life in Columbia and spent much of his life doing good for others. For many years he visited the hospitals of Columbia on Sundays, distributing literature and good cheer among the patients.

Harriette H. Marks died at home on May 24, 1939 at age 84. Richardson Stuart died on December 27, 1940, after a lingering illness, at age 82. Richardson Stuart, Harriette, and their descendants are buried at The First Presbyterian Church in Columbia, S. C.

Return to Humphrey



(1844 - December 15, 1876)

Thomas Humphrey Marks was born in Columbia, S. C., in 1844, the son of Dr. Frederick H. and Ann L. Marks. As a child he lived in the house that his grandparents Humphrey and Frances Marks had once lived. He was educated at the public schools in Columbia. He was a farmer and married Mary Miles of Lexington, S. C. As recorded in the S. C. census of 1870, Mary Miles was born in 1841 and together had three children: Edward Boyd, Alice, and Andrew Eugene. Thomas H. Marks died December 15, 1876, at the age of 33. The whereabouts of Mary Miles, his wife, are unknown after Thomas' death. I have not been able to locate the grave of Thomas H. Marks.

Edward Boyd Marks was born on August 2, 1866, in Columbia, S. C. He was a farmer and in 1889 married Martha A. Berry of Lexington County, South Carolina. They had two children: Anna Viola and Andrew Eugene. Anna Viola was born on September 12, 1889. Anna married Joseph Drawdy and they had four children. Anna Viola Drawdy died at home on January 20, 1958 and was buried at Mt. Olive Baptist Church Cemetery. It was said by a grandson, Marion E., and granddaughter, Geneva Lorraine that Edward Boyd was quite eccentric but a very soft spirited man. It is also said that he buried his money instead of using the bank. Martha B. Marks died at age 70 on May 3, 1942. She was buried at Mt. Olive Baptist Church cemetery. Edward Boyd died on October 24, 1946, at the age of 80. He was buried beside his wife at Mt. Olive Baptist Church, near Columbia.

Andrew Eugene Marks was born in Columbia, S. C., on February 14, 1873. He followed in his fathers footsteps as a farmer, married Savannah Elizabeth Campbell in 1897 and had one child, Mary Magdalene, born November 20, 1910. Mary died seven months later, on June 14, 1911 and was buried at Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church Cemetery. This church cemetery is now on the grounds of the Army installation of Fort Jackson in Columbia, S. C. It was said that Andrew Eugene was a devoted Christian and donated the land to build Mt Olive Baptist Church near Columbia. Andrew Eugene died on January 2, 1924, at age 50. He was buried at Mt. Olive Baptist Church Cemetery on Leesburg Road about 12 miles from highway 178 near Columbia, S. C. His wife Savannah Elizabeth (Lizzie, as she was affectionately known) remarried after Andrew's death to John Cornelius. Savannah Elizabeth Marks Cornelius died on February 7, 1941, and was buried at Mt. Olive Baptist Church near Andrew Eugene.

Return to Humphrey



(January 1, 1896 - January 10, 1958)

Andrew Eugene Marks (Gene) was born in Columbia, S. C., on January 1, 1896, the son of Edward Boyd and Martha Berry Marks. He was named for his uncle, Andrew Eugene, the son of Thomas and Mary Marks. Andrew spent much of his younger life with his uncle and aunt at their farm on Leesburg Road near Columbia. Andrew was a World War I veteran and served in France. During the war he was victim to mustard gas poisoning and suffered from its effects for the rest of his life.

After returning from the War, Andrew married Jettie Lee Parr of Columbia, S. C., and two children: Marion Eugene and Geneva Lorraine were born to them. Jettie Lee and Andrew were divorced on March 25, 1931. Andrew then married Bessie Mae Howell of Bennettsville, S. C. and together they raised Marion and Geneva. Jettie Lee later married Hugh T. Epting of Columbia and no other children were born to Jettie Lee. Jettie Lee died in Charleston, S. C. on November 8, 1961, and was buried at Elmwood Cemetery in Columbia, S. C.

Andrew was a Columbia City fireman, with the first non-volunteer fire company organized in Columbia, S. C. He was promoted to the rank of engine captain, but due to illness was retired in 1937. Andrew was an avid hunter, sportsman, and expert marksman; he loved to bird hunt and fly fish. He was a purest fisherman, making his own flys for fishing. He was also a Mason and a life member of Richland Lodge No. 39, Columbia, S. C.

Andrew died at age 62 on January 10, 1958. His sister, Anna Viola died on January 20, 1958, both are buried at Mt. Olive Baptist Church Cemetery near Columbia. Bessie H. Marks lived with Marion Eugene after Andrew Eugene (Gene) passed away. Bessie lived for some years at the Eastern Star home in Sumter, S. C. and died there on June 4, 1987. Bessie H. was buried at Greenlawn Memorial Cemetery in Columbia, S. C.

Geneva Loraine Marks was born in Columbia, S. C., on December 15, 1918, and is the daughter of Andrew E. and Jettie Lee Marks. Geneva married Thomas Kelly (T. K.) Swygert of Columbia on April 6, 1941. No children were born to Geneva and T. K., although they raised two foster children and adopted a daughter Lisa and a son Mark. For many years they lived in Columbia and later moved to Surfside Beach, near Myrtle Beach, S. C. Thomas Kelly Swygert died on October 17, 1992, followed shortly by Geneva Loraine who died on December 22, 1992. Both are buried beside one another at Elmwood Memorial Cemetery, Columbia, S. C.

Marion Eugene (Buddy) Marks was born on January 1, 1921, in Columbia, S. C. and was the son of Andrew E. and Jettie Lee Marks. He attended schools in Columbia and graduated from Dreher High School. He began a career with Southern Railroad as a fireman and when promoted to locomotive engineer, he was the youngest engineer with the company. Marion married Savonne Jean Williams of Columbia before entering the Army, but the marriage ended in separation and divorce on July 19, 1946. No children were born of this marriage.

Marion joined the Army and served as a locomotive engineer in the Philippines during World War II. While in the Philippines he contracted Malaria and was treated by the Filipinos. He returned to Columbia and resumed his career with Southern Railroad. Marion married Betty Lureen Hughes of Cope, S. C. Betty Lureen worked as a switchboard operator with Southern Bell in Columbia. They had four children: Marion Eugene Jr., Andrea Lynn, Allen Dale, and Hugh Boyd. Marion (Buddy) was a Locomotive engineer instructor for many years with the Southern Railroad and retired due to ill health after a thirty-seven year career. Lureen chose to stay at home and raise four children until they were able to care for themselves. Marion (Buddy) was a very hard worker in his spare time, was a good carpenter and welder. He built a second home at Lake Murray, near Columbia. He also enjoyed working on and restoring his 1955 Ford truck and riding his Harley Davidson motorcycle. Lureen continued her career with Southern Bell after raising her children, retiring in 1990. Marion was also a life member of Acacia Lodge of Columbia and a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite and York Rite Mason. Marion E. (Buddy) died of heart disease on November 16, 1981, at his home in Columbia, S. C. He was buried with full Masonic rites at Greenlawn Memorial Gardens in Columbia, S. C.

Return to Top of Web Page