Introduction to the Bernard Family of Carlow, Laois and Offaly, Ireland
Charles Bernard of Carlow born circa 1638 - died 1668 (Children: Thomas John and Philip)
Thomas Bernard and Deborah Franks (Children: Charles, Franks, Elizabeth, Joseph and Anne)
Philip Bernard (1668-1721)
Charles Bernard of Laois (Queen’s Co). (Eldest son of Thomas and Deborah)
Franks Bernard of Carlow (Second son of Thomas and Deborah)
Joseph Bernard of Carlow (youngest son of Thomas and Deborah)
Thomas Bernard of Castletown, Offaly (Son of Joseph and Mary)
John Bernard of Carlow (Son of Joseph and Mary)
William Bernard of Carlow (Son of Joseph and Mary)
Thomas Bernard of Carlow (Son of William and Mary)
Arthur O’Brien Bernard of Carlow and the Isle of Man (son of Thomas and Anne)
Bernards of Tullow, Aghade, Newstowne and Rathrush, Co Carlow
Joseph Bernard was born in 1692, and married 05 Dec 1717 in Carlow to Mary Edwards (b. 1696) of Old Court, Wicklow. He was left lands in Co. Carlow by his Father Thomas Bernard, in his will. Joseph and Mary Bernard had three sons and six daughters. Some birth dates are not known but can be estimated based on marriage dates and known birth order.
The sons were:
- William Bernard b. 1726
Several references to the three sons are found in deeds cited in the Burton Papers and the Cliffe/Vigors Papers
The six daughters were
Bernard b. about 1724. Married about 1743 to William Galbraith (spelled Galbreth in the will of her uncle John Bernard). Children:
Galbraith (1746), In Finn's Leinster Journal of 1767 there is a
marriage of a Joseph Galbraith to a Miss McGarry of Carlow
- Richard Galbraith (1749) (1). Richard is a shoemaker in Carlow
- John Bernard
- Mary Galbraith (1752)
- Grace Galbraith (?)
- Mary Bernard, b. 1734 married 1759 Thomas Bennett, born 1732. Thomas died January 22nd 1778 aged 46. Mary re-married to Mathew Humphrey in 1782 (3) and died 6th January 1804 aged 70, she was buried in Lorum Old Church Cemetry, Carlow.
- John Bennett, born 1760 died 5th March 1837 aged 59 is buried in Lorum Old Church Cemetry, Carlow
- Thomas Bennett, born about 1761
- Mary Bennett, born about 1762, married William Rudkin in 1778. Children:
- Mary, Anne, Henry, Elizabeth, Mark, William, Sarah, Julia, John, Grace, Frances, Thomas, Jemima and Bernard
- Ann Bennett born about 1762 married Arthur Richardson of Coolishall, Longford in 1791.
- Grace Bennett, born about 1763
- Julia Bennet born about 1765
- Jemima (Jemma) Bennett born 1771, married John Stoyte of the Royal Hospital Dublin. Died 4th March 1861 aged 90 and was buried in Lorum Old Church Cemetry, Carlow
- Sarah Bennett born 1767, died in 1798 aged 31, buried in Lorum Old Church Cemetry, Carlow
- Deborah Bernard, b. about 1735 married about 1759 William Rorke (as spelled in the will of her uncle John Bernard. Alternative spelling may be Roarke or Rourke). Children:
- Joseph Rorke, born about 1761
- Deborah Rorke born about 1763
- Thomas Rorke. born about 1765. There is the record of the marriage of a Thomas Rorke, tobacconist of the city of Dublin to Anne Forde Nov 1782. There is a possibility that this is the same Thomas.
- Jemma Bernard b. about 1740 married 1774 Rev. Robert Moffitt (as spelled in the will of her uncle John Bernard. Alternative spelling is probably Moffett). Children :
- Jane b. 1776-1777
- Andrew Moffitt (b. 1778, m. 1808, Susan Smith),
- Mary Moffitt, d. 1803
- Alice d. 1783
- Jane Moffitt (b. about 1781 m. about
1800 Aghmuty Richardson b. 1779)
- Jemma Moffitt (1783-1847). Married John Huggins
Bernard m. ? Latry/Latrys. This name appears twice in the will
of Elizabeth's uncle, John Bernard. It is used in the possessive form
referring to Elizabeth's children so it may or may not have an "s" at
the end. However, it
is possible that the name could be Lautry/Lautrys or Lawtry/Lawtrys as
those names are more commonly found in old Irish deeds.
- George Latry,
- Joseph Latry,
- Thomas Latry,
- Richard Latry,
- William Latry
- Mary Latry
- Ann Bernard b.
1731 m. Humphry Michell in 1765 (4). Her brother William Bernard was marriage
trustee as their father, Joseph had died the year before. "17th November
1801. Died suddenly at 12 o'clock at night whilst at cards, Mrs Anne Mitchell,
wife of Humphrey Mitchell, aged 70 years". Son:
- Perkins Michell.
A Humfrey Michel was Clerk and Inspector for the Barrow Navigation in 1787. Carlow
I found one reference to Joseph Bernard in a lease from the Family and Estate papers of the Cliffe/Vigors families:
March 1731 - Lease for 20 years by Lucy Hewetson, Corry, Co.
Catherlough to Joseph Bernard, Catherlough Town of Ballynabooly, Co.
Catherlough. Rent 8/= per acre p.a.
There are several deeds in the Registry of Deeds which include references to Joseph Bernard
Joseph Bernard died 24th October 1763 in Carlow.
His will was proven in September 1766. Joseph left his estate to be
divided equally between his two youngest sons John and William.
Many of the children and grandchildren of Joseph and Mary were mentioned in the will of John Bernard.
Registry of Deeds: Vol #, Page #, Memorial #
(1) Memorial 283/671/188080 Image # 352
(2) Memorial 132/487/90106 Image # 264
(3) Memorial 374/269/248985 Image # 144
(4) Memorial 245/101/157643 Image # 58
To find the Memorial go to Registry of Deeds Index Project Ireland. Insert Volume# and Image #
Back to Franks Bernard of Carlow