The descendants of Reginald and Alice are documented in The Visitations of Cornwall, 1530, 1537 and 1620. by Vivian. The Gayer family tree, in Vivian's publication was supplemented by A.E Gayer in 1870 . Those Gayers documented by the Visitation are shown in italics, other names were taken from the Memoirs of the Family of Gayer by A.E Gayer, in 1870. There are errors in both.
The Devon Gayers descended from John the eldest son of Reginald Gayer and Alice Courtenay who was born in Liskeard, Cornwall. He married [possibly Elinora?]and had three sons: Reginald, Otis (or Otys), and Stephen.
- Reginald Gayer, the eldest son of John Gayer of Liskeard established himself in Plymouth. Perhaps his wife was from Plymouth. It was common for a groom to move to his wife’s parish; He is known to have had one son, William whose daughter Mary married Samuel Spry of Cutcrew.
- Otis Gayer – Otis (Otys) left SW England and moved to Foxley, Berkshire (See Visitation of Berkshire.1566)
- Stephen Gayer, youngest son of John Gayer of Liskeard married (before 1532) Jane Trenbrace and had two sons: John Gayer who married Sybill Treffry, and a son Henry who did not appear to marry. Stephen Gayer remained in Cornwall.
- John Gayer
Sybill (Treffry) Gayer, (married about 1555) had at least 7 children:
John/Thomas*, the eldest son, Michael, Edward, Christian (married Henry Pomeroy), Constance, Alice and Lora.
John Gayer was an M.P. for Liskeard (1553), Launceston (1553), Liskeard
(1558), Penryn (1559) and Helston (1571) The eldest son was
John not Thomas as was identified in the Visitations of Cornwall
- John Gayer, son of John and Sybill (b. about 1562. d.1593) married Margaret Trewlawney in 1583 in Plymouth, Devon. She was the daughter of Robert Trelawney, of Tidiver in Cornwall. Their children were born in Devon (some of the births being registered in St Andrews Church, Plymouth). i.e. John (1584), Christian (1585-1585), Margaret (1586), Richard (1587), Hugh (1589), Grace (1590), Humphrey (1592) and Robert (1593).Although John and Hugh Gayer are not listed in the Parish Register the will of Sir John Gayer mentions his brothers Hugh, Robert, Humphrey and Richard.
Children of John and Margaret (Trelawney) Gayer :
- John Gayer
(1584-1649) became a merchant in London, he was a member of the
Fishmongers' Company, a Director of the East India Company, Sheriff of
London in 1635, was knighted at Hampton Court 3 December 1641, and
was also Lord Mayor of London
He married Katherine Hopkins of Coventry. Will dated 19th December
1648. He was pre-deceased by his wife and several children. His
- John Gayer,
- Robert Gayer,
- Katherine (Gayer) Abdy,
- Mary, (Gayer) Henley
- Sara (Gayer) Parkhurst
- Elizabeth (Gayer) Godolphin.
- Christian Gayer (buried 1585)
- Margaret Gayer (1586)
- Richard Gayer
(b. 1587) Richard was mayor of Plymouth in 1615. In
Phillimore Marriages there is a record of Elizabeth (a.k.a Isabelle)
Amades marrying Richard Geare in St Andrews, Plymouth in 1620.
- Mary Gayer (b. 1625-1656) - married 1649 Arthur Spry
- Margaret Gayer (b. 1622),
- Hugh Gayer (1589-1633) married Jane Fones, daughter of Thomas Fones and Prudence Nicholls. They located in Plymouth, Devon where Hugh was a "barber-surgeon" and where their
children's baptisms were registered:
- John Gayer (1621),
- Margaret Gayer (1624),
- Joane Gayer (1625),
- Prudence Gayer (1627)
- Robert Gayer (1631).
- Grace Gayer 1590-1591
- Humphrey Gayer (1592) a merchant in Plymouth and also mayor Plymouth in 1632. He married Deborah Sparke (daughter of John Sparke, Esq.) in March 1627/28. He died in 1646, she died in 1644. They had daughters:
(b. 1631, Plymouth, Devon). Married Shilston Calmady. Children: Honor
(m. John Ceely), Elizabeth (or Mary) m. Hugh Piper, (1671-1754), Shilston, John (m.
Elizabeth Hutchings) and Josias (m. Jane Rolt).
- Margaret Gayer,
- Alice Gayer, married 1663 Edward Gould. Children: Walter, Humphrey, William, John, Edward and Joan
- Mary Gayer
- Anne Gayer, (Lipford?). Sons Thomas and Jonathan
- John Gayer. Did not marry. His will of 1693, mentions many nephews, nieces and cousins. Written in a script that is difficult to read, some names are indecipherable. However, he clearly names "Sister Anne Lipford and nephews Thomas and Jonathan Lipford; nephew Josias Calmady, Esq of Langford, nephew John Calmady and niece, Elizabeth Calmady; Niece Elizabeth Squire; Nephews John, Walter and William Gould and niece Joan Gould; Nephew Hugh Piper; Cousin Sir Robert Gayer; Cousin Thomas Gayer; Cousin William Gayer; Cousin Mary Gayer; Cousin Katheren Gayer; Cousin Sir John Molesworth; Cousin William Sparks. John Gayer was a contemporary of Shilston Calmady (who married Elizabeth Gayer) and of Jonathan Sparke (son of John Sparke who died in 1639 who’s will was witnessed by Humphrey Gayer).
From: Marriage Licenses Diocese of Exeter p99
Burial of Debora Gayer 1644
- Robert Gayer - (1593-1649), the youngest son. He was a merchant and fishmonger in London. His will mentions only his brothers and his nieces and nephews so I have assumed that he did not marry or have children:
- Nephew John, son of Sir John of London;
- Nephew Robert, son of Sir John of London;
- Nieces Katherine Abdy, Mary, Sara and Elizabeth Gayer all daughters of Sir John Gayer
- Nieces Margaret and Mary, daughters of brother Richard Gayer
- Niece ___ Teight, and Prudence Gayer daughters of brother Hugh Gayer
- Nephew John Gayer son of Humphrey Gayer
- Nieces Elizabeth, Margaret, Alice, Mary and Anne Gayer, daughters of Humphrey
The information above was obtained from various sources:
1) the wills of: Sir John Gayer, alderman of London (1649); Robert Gayer, merchant and fishmonger of London (1649); Humphrey Gayer, merchant of Plymouth (1647); Hugh Gayer of Plymouth (1633). These wills are available on-line at Marine Lives
2) from the journal of the Plymouth Institution which listed weddings, burials and baptisms of St Andrews' church relating to John and Margaret Gayer (Gayre/ Geare) of Liskeard and Trenbrace. Annual Reports and Transactions, Volume 9
3) Extracted Church of England Records (for Devon), from Ancestry.co.uk and from FreeReg.org.uk
4) Vivian's - Visitations of Cornwall (1530). Note: some information in this publication were provided by A.E. Gayer and were not from the Visitation and have since been proven to be inaccurate.
5) Marriage Licences of the Diocese of Exeter from the Bishop's Register
Other records from the Paris Registers found on Ancestry. co.uk and FreeReg.org,
of Gayers in Devon in the early 1600s.
In addition to the marriage of John Gayer and Margaret Trewlawny in 1583 Richard and Elizabeth/Amades 1620 there were three other marriage records for Gayers (spelling variant - Gayre, Geare, Gerrey and Guyer) found in the Devon registers (Parish unspecified). However, I have no idea who they are.
- Marriages: William Geare and Jane Werrye, Jul 1618; Thomas Gerrey and Thomasine Howe Apr 1635; and William Geare and Joan Lane 1637
- Plymouth Baptismal records, in addition to those I abstracted for the children of Richard, Hugh and Humphrey:
- Children of George Gayer: Isac Geare, May 1629; Mary Gayer, Nov 1630; George Feb1632
- Children of William Geare: John Geare, Nov 1620; Ambrose Geare, 1622; and Jane Geare Jan 1625. (Probably children of William Geare and Jane Werrye)
- Children of Michael Geare: Debora, Dec 1629
- Baptism of George, son of John and Mary Geare, Jun 1639
- Baptism of Nathaniell and Richard, Dec 1652, sons of Richard Gerrye - Barnstaple
- Debora, wife of Richard Guyer Mar 1663 (probably a burial)
- Thomas, son of Richard and Debora Guyer Apr 1663 (baptism held after the burial of Debra, the mother)
Gayer of Nantucket born about 1647 in Devon. He married Dorcas Starbuck about 1672 and with her had three children:
- Damaris, b. 24 Oct 1673;
- Dorcas, b. 29 Aug 1675; and
- William, Jr., b. 3 Jun 1677.
- John Gayer, born about 1650. Became the Govenor of Bombay in 1692. He married his first wife, Priscilla Harper in 1782 in London. He made his will in Bombay Castle, India in Oct. 1710 and died there, probably in the following year (Probate Act Book, P. C. C. 1712, f. 64). His will was proved at London by his second wife, Mary, on 17 April 1712 (registered in P. C. C. 70, Barnes). (Ref: Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900). The will of Sir John Gayer of Bombay mentions his eldest sister Jane Lee; Sister Joan Hooper; Sister Elizabeth Mathews; Niece Elizabeth Gayer.
Back.... THE GAYERS OF CORNWALL