Arthur Murdoch Rees SMALLWOOD
arrow arrow arrow arrow
Arthur Stanley SMALLWOOD
Mary Ellen PARSLOW
Murdoch McLEAN
Emily Frances ORTON
Charles Arthur William SMALLWOOD
Gertrude Laurie McLEAN

Arthur Murdoch Rees SMALLWOOD


Family Links

Ethel Mary (Mitch) MITCHELL

Arthur Murdoch Rees SMALLWOOD

  • Born: 14 Jan 1924, Townsville, Queensland
  • Marriage: Ethel Mary (Mitch) MITCHELL
  • Died: 28 Oct 1995, South Gippsland Hospital, Foster at age 71

bullet  Events

• Arthur was born while the Smallwood family lived in Townsville.

The beautiful hand-painted postcard shown here is of the famous Strand location at about that time, 1924, featuring vibrant bougainvillea.

• As the first born male, little Arthur Murdoch Rees was named after (at least) four of his forebears.

Arthur Stanley Smallwood - Arthur's paternal grandfather
Charles Arthur William Smallwood - Arthur's father
Murdoch McLean - Arthur's maternal grandfather
Rees Orton McLean - Arthur's maternal uncle

• Arthur is seen peeking through the railings at 57 Aherne Street, Hermit Park, Townsville. At least, we think this little person would be Arthur. Any clues?

• Baby Arthur can be seen here with his father, Charles, dressed in his band uniform and cap, and an unknown lad.

• The first-born son, Arthur Murdoch Rees Smallwood, is being loaded onto a horse by his proud father, Charles Arthur William Smallwood.

Note the unshackled sulky, with its studded leather upholstery, on the left.

• We are not sure, but we think this little baby may be Arthur, and the mother tending to him may be Gertrude. What do you think?

• Arthur can be seen here, being bathed by his mother, in an iron tub.

• Arthur was a tiny tot, barely old enough to walk, but adventurous enough to be into everything he could find.

One day, about 1927, while Frances Smallwood was visiting with Gertrude and her little family, Arthur was playing in the yard. Gertrude was feeding the next baby, Ross, when she noticed that Arthur had climbed to the very top of the windmill in the yard. Most houses had a windmill in the yard in Ayr, to feed bore water into the house tank.

Without a fuss or a flurry, Gertrude called out softly "I wonder who'd like to have this little chocolate that I have here with me?"

Arthur climbed down quite safely.

As a result of his explorations, Arthur was to be seen thereafter shackled to the verandah posts, with a very long, very sturdy rope tied to his leg. This would certainly keep him on ground level.

Gertrude was a very calm, controlled mother, as this little tale shows us. Frances' recollection of Arthur's mother was of a delightful, gentle lady, who was very kind and generous.

• Arthur is seen here playing on his bear. We wonder if the bear is tethered to the house?

• Arthur is seen exploring the jungle in his pith helmet.

Later in life, on seeing this photograph, Claire Smallwood remembered that Arthur was riding a toy bear at the time. She hadn't seen our previous photographs of Murdoch's bear, but had remembered this from almost seventy years ago. Not bad!

If you look really closely, you will see that there is the bear under there.

• Arthur is being helped by his grandparents, Murdoch and Emily McLean, to learn to ride his bear that Grandad had made him. This photograph was taken around 1927.

• Young Arthur is seen here, leaning into the photograph on the right.

His family is celebrating the birth of his second sister, Claire, born in May 1929.

His younger brother Ross, and younger sister Joan, are on the left of the photograph, and his father Charles is in the rear.

• Arthur and his family moved to Barcaldine in his childhood.

As Arthur's father managed the local swimming pool there, he would frequent the cool pool with his siblings.

Shown here in their bathing costumes are Arthur, Ross, Joan and Claire. We believe this photograph to have been taken about 1936, when Arthur would have been about twelve years old.

• This portrait was taken of Arthur in about 1935. The Smallwood family lived in Ayr, and Mundingburra, about this period.

• This trademark is stamped upon the frame of the portrait of young Arthur and his siblings.

"Ostrin Studios, Queen St., Ayr, & Home Hill"

• Arthur wanted badly to join the Air Force. His mother, Gert would not sign the papers for his enlistment, saying that “You haven't seen the world - you haven't been anywhere - you don't ever go out - you don't ever do anything. You can't join up when you haven't seen any life here.”

True, Arthur was a very quiet, studious young man. However, one afternoon, Arthur dressed in his suit (as young men did, in those days, to go out), and went out to "the pictures”.

He came home. He walked up to his Mother. “Well, I've been out now. Will you sign the papers, please?"

• Arthur Murdoch Rees Smallwood's Royal Australian Air Force Service Number was 76221. He was living in Ayr at the time of his enlistment on 22 June 1942, exactly one month after his father, Charles, and was enlisted in Brisbane.

He listed his wife, Ethel, as his next of kin. Arthur was discharged on 2 September 1948, at the rank of Leading Aircraftman at the Laverton Transit Departure and Reception Centre.

• Arthur is seen here, in his Air Force Uniform, at the home of his Aunt and grandparents, at 50 Combemere Street, Essendon.

• War Service: RAAF, 22 Jun 1942, Ayr, Queensland. 30 Arthur's service records show the following details:

Service Record
Service Royal Australian Air Force
Service Number 76221
Date of Birth 14 Jan 1924
Place of Birth TOWNSVILLE, QLD
Date of Enlistment 22 Jun 1942
Locality on Enlistment AYR
Place of Enlistment BRISBANE, QLD
Date of Discharge 2 Sep 1948
Rank Leading Aircraftman
Posting at Discharge Laverton Transit Departure & Reception Centre
WW2 Honours and Gallantry None for display
Prisoner of War No

• Arthur's wife, Mitch, had a father who was a pharmacist.

Arthur bought the business from him, after training after World War II to become a pharmacist. He operated the chemist in Foster, Victoria, for many, many years.

It is recalled that Arthur would often declare to his family "I'd have followed Mitch to the end of the earth."

This photograph is undoubtedly of the interior of Arthur's chemist shop. It is in the Smallwood family photograph album.

• Arthur is seen here, at a family wedding, with his family.

From left, Arthur, Charles, Charlie, Merle, Gertrude, David, Joan, Claire, Ross.

• In his later life, it appears that Arthur also undertook some family history research. The "brief note" he sent to his Uncle Rees McLean sparked this generous reply.

Rees is a very young man in the photograph here, while his correspondent, Arthur, is a mere baby in his grandmother Emily's arms. The lady is unknown. We estimate this photograph was taken about 1924.

4 Juanita Av
Towradgi 2518

(approx Oct 1979)

Dear Arthur,

Was so surprised & just as pleased to receive your brief note, sorry for not making an effort to answer sooner, but age (75) with an overdose of arthritis has not helped me, but conditions have improved, so I will make an effort to try and help with the big problem that you have set yourself. I don't really think I can be of any great assistance to you. But anyhow I will do my best and you can discard what you think is useless.

As far as I know, Aunt Jue (Mrs Seip) was a cousin of my mother. (Not sure of that). (Aunty Joan would know - Claire) She married Andrew Seip (of German descent), and that is as far as I can go with that. They lived at Yarbala (?) siding, 15 miles from on the Ingham Line. (Margin note - "arrow south") He was a timber getter. I remember the shack well. It was a dirt floor ~ the frame work was all bush timbers. It had a Galvanised roof, but all the rest of the shack was corn bags. It was a very primitive life they lived.

As far as my mother is concerned, I may be a little more informed.

Her name was Emily Frances McLean Orton, and she married Murdoch McLean, who I am led to believe did not have a second name. Thus Murdoch McLean. There seems to be an argument somewhere along the time, that the McLean should be spelt MacLean. Some of the family used Mac. But my father spelt Mc. I am told that was caused by the name being spelt wrong on my father's birth certificate. Not sure of that. Have no knowledge of my father's parents. But as far as I know he (my father) had 1 Sister, and that her name was Jessie and she married John Byers, who was a tailor at Ayr. I think you would be more informed about that family, than I would be. He also had (my father) had three other brothers and their names were Alex, John, and Thomas, there could possibly be another brother. I am not sure of that. There was 3 other children named MacLean that lived at Proserpine. Kenneth, Gordon and Jessie. (Pencilled margin note in female handwriting - "Mum's cousins"). I don't know who they were sired by. You may remember Ken. He lived somewhere you, when you lived at Highgate Hill in Brisbane. Gordon was a bootmaker, and he also had a business somewhere in Brisbane. I think Jessie turned into a religious crank (pencilled margin note in female handwriting - "Mona, Ken's wife did") and one of them had a son that was a cook on a leper station. Still on the MacLean side there was a Ruby MacLean. She married a Patrick Luby and they lived at West End in Townsville, where they had a plumbing business. (note from Claire: Ruby and Patrick lived upstairs of the plumbing business - opposite a big Catholic Church). I think she was connected to the Proserpine crowd. I think she was a cousin of ours in some way. Leaving this space in case I think of something else.

That other brother of my father, that I am doubtful about, may have been the father of Ken, Gordon and Jessie. They all came from Proserpine and possibly Ruby. I don't know whether any of this information is much good to you. Only you would know that. But you can destroy what isn't. Think you may be interested in the newspaper cutting my mother was the go-between in that business. A long story and I think I would be the only one with all the details of that business. (The Batak / Bartak Bubble)

Getting back to the Orton Side. It isn't too easy to explain. Maybe you can follow my way of thinking. My mother had only one sister, her name was Edie and she married Rees Thomas. They lived at South Townsville and he had a big Grocery business in Flinders Street, Townsville. They had 5 children, Hector, Charlie, Thelma, Grace, Vera. I only know anything of one of them - That was Thelma. She married Len Emmerson, who was Assistant Manager of the Railways at Cairns. Now retired and living at Cairns, Suburb Redlynch or Redcliffe. I think they only had two children. One turned out to be a scientif big shot in the medical world. I think my mother's mother was killed in a big (inserted in pen - "RAILWAY") accident when they lived in England. I only know of two other Ortons. One was the notorious Arthur that figured so prominently in the Tichborne Case and the other was the one that owed the government a lot of money for taxes. That is quite a story. He made a lot of money through crooked dealings in the mining world and then the government wanted to tax him on it and he wouldn't pay it, because he claims that the money was not made in Australia. When he refused to pay the tax the Government got on to him about all his other business and that was when he tried to leave Australia. But every attempt he made was foilded, because the Gov. had him followed in every move he made. However, he did get away and my mother played a big part in that. I will not go into details of that, because I have a newspaper cutting here that I will enclose with this letter. Funny thing about that cutting is that it must be over 50 years old and I have had it all that time. Several times I have been going to destroy it, but gave it a second though, and at last it is of some use (I hope). Then there was that other rogue, the butcher from Wagga. I am not well informed of him. I had a book here "The Great Victorian Mystery", but I don't know what happened to that. The last I knew of that was I lent it to Gert and I think it finished up with Merle, maybe she still has it. If you dropped her a line she would let you know. I think you would know just as much about him as I do. Will leave this for a few days, apart from that the arthritis is catching up with me.

I have one thing that I think is of some value. It is a case that originally belonged to Aunt Jue. It is a writing case with secret drawers a very highly polished a very compact thing. I would say it is 150 years old. It is about 12" wide, 6" high and I would say the depth would be 10" inches. The whole thing is beautifully inlaid. Too good to be laying in the bottom of a wardrobe.

I haven't gone into my family. I think you would know just as much as I do about them. I suppose you know there were 4 children, not 3. There was another girl, that died when I was a baby. Her name was Myrtle. There was another book (or part of it) that was written on the Titchburne Case, and it was called "The Great Fraud".

There was another cousin, of mine, that married, I will think of his name before I post this. Her name was Mourd, she married a chap from the Gas works and they lived in Philip Street, Hermit Park, Townsville. She was the daughter of one of my father's brothers, but I don't know which one it was.

I think that the chap that married Maurd /Maud Mc/MacLean name was Cec Mundy. He used to read the gas meters for the local gas coy. Have raked this brain of mine and there isn't much more I can think of. But if there is something you can think of, don't hesitate to drop me a line. You have given yourself quite a task and I hope that you can complete it. If you can't, nobody can.

Do hope that you and your family are OK. Saw Ross last May. Spent 6 weeks with Claire last Xmas. In May went up to Townsville for a drive, that was last May. We went up and back in ten days. Really too much of a rush. That is my problem. Putting the time in and at my age of 75, not much energy to go with it. I believe Merle is getting married again next week 3/11/79. I think. If I can find somebody to go with me I will make a trip to Melbourne. I am afraid this is all. I know it is very disjointed. Hope you can sort it all out.



• Arthur enquired of his Uncle Harry for information on the family history, and received this charming reply:

40 Henzell St.,
Caloundra, 4551,

My Dear would-be "blue-blood" ,

It is interesting to observe what different persons do upon the days of their retirement - some travel extensively and noisily, others spend their time watching T V (this includes me) and others at the local pub of club. However, it would appear that you have other ideas.

Firstly, re the Parslow side I know absolutely nothing. On the paternal side however, I recall some things which may interest you. Legend has it that the grandfather - John Smallwood - came to Australia as a soldier - true or false ??? Anyhow, he settled in Rockhampton - Bolsover St., I fancy - and produced (with the aid of his wife) two daughters, Elizabeth and Florence - Eliz. became Mrs. Laing and Florence died pure. There were a number of sons - John, George, Charles, Joseph, William and Arthur - I think that's the lot. Some lived in Brisbane, some on the Downs and others in the North. That's all I know - or care about, for that matter. However, if you dig up any fortune, I'll be willing to share it.
Burke's or De Brett may have a few answers.

Enough for the moment.



• Arthur generously wrote this letter to the wife of his second cousin, George Percival Smallwood, when Hazel enquired of him any family history knowledge.

PH.C., M.P.S.

PHONE 056 822-210


Dear Hazel -

Delighted to get your letter yesterday. I enquired of Harry what he knew of our relations some time ago, but he is not very interested. I was not all that keen either until a few years ago and of course by that time I was an orphan and had no source of information.

I am eldest son of Charles Arthur William Smallwood (1924) which makes me Harry's nephew. Siblings were Ross, Joan, Charlie (dcd) Claire, Merle, David. We seem to be a fairly fertile clan, as I have Five. When I came to Melbourne after the War there were only two Smallwoods in the Phone Book now there is nearly a page of them - mostly medical.

My Grandfather Arthur Stanley Smallwood married Ellen Parslow (I understand an elopement but this may be just fancy) and I myself as a child never met or heard of a Parslow which seemed to confirm the story that they disowned her. But this may be exaggerated.

FOSTER is at the beginning of Wilson Promontory in South Gippsland in Victoria and I am here because I married a Foster Lass in the Air Force and came back here after the war. (RAAF).

Harry was not too sure about his Grandfather at all - thought he may have been an Army man possibly a musician as there seem to be a lot of musicians among us - Arthur was a professional musician as was Harry and Charles (my father), and myself and brother Ross. And of course there are Smallwoods in England in music in a big way - Smallwood Piano Tutor, and various pieces of music.

Arthur was an engine-driver as was my father Charles and in my younger days I had a Diesel ticket so there must be a weakness for Railways in the strain.

• I married Ethel Mitchell and have David (about 36 I think - I'm hopeless with dates), a farmer, John (Solicitor), MaryLyn (Solicitor), Paul in a Pollution Laboratory and Kealy managing a shop in Portland.

I understand there is a village in England called Smallwood - we were over there a few years back but didn't get time to do all I would have liked - went to Scotland and had a look at my mother's father's people - she was a McLean, and time just flew away from us. We are trying to get organised to go again before we get too old to handle it.

My father used to give us to understand that he had worked for George Smallwood in Townsville when he was undertaking and used to give lurid details of mishaps but that was when we were little kids and I feel they may have been for our entertainment.

Anyhow I'll get this in the mail for a quick reply.

Very pleased indeed to have heard from you Hazel (and of course George Percival).


• Arthur is seen here with two of his aunties, and a cousin, and a wife.

Beatrice and Frances on the left, his wife Mitch in front of him, and his cousin Judith peeking out from behind.

• SMALLWOOD, Arthur:

Foster has lost another character.

Arthur's wit and humour was lost to recent arrivals and the younger generation.

Our sincere sympathy to Ethel and family.

- The Best family.

• SMALLWOOD, Arthur:

The president and members of Foster R.S.L., and auxiliary, regret the passing of Arthur.

Deepest sympathy to Ethel and family.

Lest We Forget.

• SMALLWOOD, Arthur:

We are proud to have known you and grateful to have shared for a time your journey through life.

- Foster Fire Brigade.

• Foster chemist also pioneered district music

Arthur Smallwood, a former long time family chemist at Foster and a prominent local musician died in the South Gippsland Hospital, Foster on October 28.

Born in Townsville in 1924 and educated in Townsville and Ayr Arthur first commenced working with Pioneer Sugar Mills as pay clerk.

In 1942 he joined the RAAF and trained in a select group to install and maintain the then unique and secret radar establishments. It was at 136 radar in Northern Queensland that he met Ethel Mitchell, his wife to be.

Upon discharge from the RAAF Arthur was appointed radio engineer to 4AY Queensland but later re-enlisted in the RAAF and installed radar units into Beaufort bombers. From the RAAF Arthur then went to the Department of Civil Aviation where he was eventually seconded to the Bureau of Meteorology and was responsible for the modification of the radar units at Essendon Airport and the installation of radar at Guilford in Western Australia.

In the early 1950's Ethel's father, who was at that time the pharmacist at Foster, approached Arthur to retrain and take over the chemist shop. Arthur completed the course working at various jobs during the night to support Ethel and the first three of their five children and in 1955 took over the pharmacy.

For around the next 30 years Arthur ran the pharmacy and was prominent in local voluntary services including radio operator for the fire brigade, relief ambulance driver and secretary of the hospital prior to and during construction of the present building. Together with the late Dick Rowe, Arthur initiated a local emergency service which later became the S.E.S.

In the mid 1980s Arthur sold the chemist shop to Graeme Thomas, the present owner, and was then free to pursue his lifelong interest in music.

He became involved with the Victorian Police Band and the Australian Army Prince of Wales band all the while developing an intense interest in music programs at secondary schools throughout the district. In 1992 whilst attending a rehearsal of the Leongatha concert band, Arthur suffered a stroke, ending an era in district music.

Arthur's local involvement in music stretched from Dandenong to Traralgon and he tutored students at Yarram, South Gippsland, Mirboo North, Leongatha and Korumburra Secondary Colleges.

During this period he was known to leave home at 7.30 each morning, carrying musical instruments and a cut lunch and headed for one or other of the local schools in South Gippsland.

He also played with the Dandenong Symphony Orchestra, South Gippsland Jazz Group, Lyric Theatre, FAMDA, Kooweerup and Traralgon music groups.

Arthur's influence on local music was recently recognized by the renaming of the South Gippsland College's junior band to the Smallwood Band.

Arthur was master of brass and wind including oboe, bassoon, clarinet, saxophone and trombone.

As Foster's family chemist he was a colourful figure, dispensing advice to customers on a range of topics, delivered with the deadpan humour he was known for.

One of Arthur's colleagues, Inverloch pharmacist Joe Leamon said he will be remembered for his "sharp wit and disarming frank and sometimes outrageous comments that only he could get away with".

Arthur Smallwood was laid to rest in the Foster lawn cemetery at the conclusion of a very moving service at the Foster Catholic Church, officiated by Fr. Mark Godridge, and enhanced by the music of young flautists Nicky Gale and Kellie Hamilton, organist Pat Doran and soprano saxophonist Andrew Dale.

The humorous, sad, but very fitting eulogy was read by Dr. Robert Fleming.

Andrew's rendition of Amazing Grace and the Ave Maria at the church, and of Danny Boy at the graveside were a moving tribute and farewell to perhaps the most talented and versatile musician the district has known.

The Smallwood band formed a guard of honour at the Catholic church.

Arthur is survived by his wife Ethel (Mitch), sons David, John and Paul, daughters Mary-Lyn and Kealy and 12 grandchildren.

• SMALLWOOD Arthur Murdoch Rees. - At Foster Hospital on 28th October, 1995. Loved and loving husband of Ethel (Mitch). Father of David, John, Mary-Lyn, Paul and Kealy. Father-in-law of Joy, Liz, James, Deb. Friend of Terry and Bev. Pa of Rebecca, James, Meg, Patrick, Veronica, Bess, Joe, Jack, Nickola, Mark, Lewis and Emily.
Resting peacefully.

• SMALLWOOD The Funeral of the late Mr ARTHUR MURDOCH REES SMALLWOOD will leave St. Joseph's Catholic Church Foster after prayers commencing at 11.30 a.m. TUESDAY (October 31st) for the Foster Lawn Cemetery.

Faye Doran
Gippsland Funeral
Services AFDA
Foster (056) 82 2443

• SMALLWOOD Arthur Murdoch Rees. - At Foster Hospital on 28th October, 1995. Loved and loving husband of Ethel (Mitch). Father of David, John, Mary-Lyn, Paul and Kealy. Father-in-law of Joy, Liz, James, Deb. Friend of Terry and Bev. Pa of Rebecca, James, Meg, Patrick, Veronica, Bess, Joe, Jack, Nickola, Mark, Lewis and Emily.
Resting peacefully.

• SMALLWOOD, Arthur:

A great man who will be sadly missed, but who left us with wonderful memories.

Our deepest sympathy to the Smallwood family.

- Graeme and Gill Thomas and family

• SMALLWOOD, Arthur:

Our dear friend and “Boss”. You will always be fondly remembered with both tears and laughter for all the good times we shared.

Thanks for the memories.

Deepest sympathy to the Smallwood family.

From the former staff of Smallwoods Pharmacy.


Arthur Smallwood (1924 - 1995)

FAMDA wishes to dedicate its production of “The Music Man” to the memory of Arthur Smallwood, who was truly a “music man”.

Arthur was presented with a life membership of FAMDA because of his outstanding contribution to the group particularly as a musician and musical director.

He played in the orchestra for many FAMDA shows on instruments as diverse as the bassoon and banjo. He was musical director for many of FAMDA's productions such as White Horse Inn, Calamity Jane and more than one version of Trial by Jury. He loved Gilbert & Sullivan productions but disliked them being “modernised”. He enjoyed old fashioned musicals like Our Miss Gibbs and Maid of the Mountains but was keen to participate in more modern productions.

FAMDA was not the only drama group to enjoy the benefits of Arthur's musical expertise. He also worked with Leongatha Lyric Theatre, Dandenong Light Opera Company, the Koo Wee Rup High School Theatre Group as well as school productions in Foster and Yarram. A quick glance through theatre programmes reveals Arthur playing not only the bassoon, oboe, clarinet, trombone, and saxophone, but also double bass, banjo and even the violin in theatre prerformances. When Leongatha Lyric Theatre staged The Music Man, Arthur was in the orchestra, playing the tuba.

Arthur was also a member of the South Gippsland Jazz Group and the Leongatha Concert Band.

Arthur was a qualified radio technician and pharmacist. When he retired from pharmacy, he turned his attention to providing musical opportunities for the youth of the district. He became involved in the South Gippsland Schools Music Program and officially joined the teaching staff at Yarram High School.

The junior band at South Gippsland Secondary College is named the Smallwood Band as a tribute to the enthusiastic and dedicated support he gave to encouraging young people to become involved in music.

It is wonderful to have Arthur's grand daughter, Rebecca, carrying on the family tradition by playing the flute in the orchestra for you tonight.

• By arrangement with Warner / Chappell Music
FAMDA proudly presents


Music, lyrics and libretto by Meredith Willson
from a story by Meredith Willson and Franklin Lacey

Foster War Memorial Arts Centre

17 November - 2 December 1995

Foster Amateur Music and Drama Association Inc

A message from the Present - Dianne Paragreen

Now in its 42nd year of entertaining the residents of Gippsland and beyond, Foster Amateur Music and Drama Association is proud to present for your enjoyment The Music Man.

It is always gratifying to see 40 or 50 individuals, each with his or her unique personality, work together over many months to achieve a common goal. An undertaking such as The Music Man requires an enormous amount of dedication and commitment on the part of those who participate, as well as the sacrificing of normal routine for many weeks. FAMDA is extremely fortunate once again to have the support of so many hard-working members both on-stage and behind the scenes.

We are also pleased to be working with Gary Owen who comes to us with many years of theatrical experience to his credit. As director and choreographer Gary has brought his own unique touch to this production.

Gary's assistant, Joanne Moloney, deserves a special mention for the huge amount of time she has dedicated to ensuring that rehearsals have run smoothly, and to her work as dance-captain. This is only Jo's second show with FAMDA but she is already indispensable.

As always we are extremely grateful to the many local business houses which so generously support our productions. Without such sponsorship large productions such as The Music Man would be impossible to finance adequately.

We were saddened in October by the passing of one of our founding members - and life-member - Arthur Smallwood. Arthur was the true music man. He was able to play almost any musical instrument, and play it superbly. He was Musical Director for many FAMDA productions, chorus master and orchestra member for many others. Scores of past and present members have benefited from Arthur's expertise and professionalism.

We will all miss Arthur's sense of humour and his ability to cut through the mire and get to the heart of the matter.

The committee of FAMDA is pleased to dedicate this production to the memory of our very own “Music Man” - Arthur Smallwood.

Arthur Smallwood and Ethel Smallwood - Life Members of FAMDA


Music, lyrics and libretto by Meredith Willson
from a story by Meredith Willson and Franklin Lacey

Foster War Memorial Arts Centre

17 November - 2 December 1995

Foster Amateur Music and Drama Association Inc

The Orchestra
Conductor Michelle Buxton
Piano Paddy Broberg
Violin Sharon Monk
Flute Rebecca Smallwood
Clarinet, Alto & Tenor Saxophone Peter McMurtry
Carinet, Bassoon Nigel Ross
Trumpet Rod Lomax
Jacquomo Monk
Bass, Keyboard Verna Anderson
Jim Lowe


Arthur married Ethel Mary (Mitch) MITCHELL. (Ethel Mary (Mitch) MITCHELL was born on 6 Jan 1920 in Jamestown, South Australia 22 and died in 2006 in Foster, Victoria.)

Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created 30 Apr 2006 with Legacy 6.0 from Millennia