Page Title

Continued from PREVIOUS page

The men were very fortunate in contacting the Clark brothers, Addison and Randolph, who had started a school in Fort Worth.  Fort Worth was a starting place for the cattle trails to the northern feeding grounds and to the markets.  The town attracted many people and prosperous businesses.  It also brought the riff-raff and undesirable population usually found in frontier towns.  Bar-rooms and gambling halls ran without restraint.  The coming of the Texas and Pacific Railroad made conditions worse.

After looking the situation over carefully, the Clark brothers decided that a quiet country village was an ideal place for a school, as students would be away from the many temptations of the city.  They bought the buildings and grounds and in September, 1873, started the school with an enrollment of 13.  The session closed with an enrollment of 75.  The next session started with an enrollment of 117.  It grew rapidly from that time on and soon became known as Add-Ran College, one of the leading schools of the South.

To be continued jm

Nora McEwen Bandy

Photograph Submitted by Carolyn McKinzie