These pages originated during the days of the Maryland TMG Users Group - way back in the good
old days of the 20th century. My move to California and the Tri-Valley TMG User Group inspired me
to update most of the pages to match TMG ver. 5x in 2004, and some of these pages were
updated in 2009 to match TMG ver. 7x.
TMG's current - and final - version is 9.5. I'm sad every time I'm reminded that WhollyGenes is no more, and we
avid TMG-users are on our own; but, we're on our own together. I'm not sure these pages will ever be updated to reflect
some of the changes in version 9, but even so, most of the basic concepts discussed here still apply. If you would like
to keep up with the TV-TMG User Group's current discussions, follow our blog, The
Continuing Adventures of the TV-TMG User Group.
Keep in mind that I am not affiliated with The Master Genealogist or Wholly Genes, Inc.
in any way. I'm simply a long-time user (since ver. 0.97) and fan of genealogy's number one software program. As
you use these pages, please keep in mind my philosophy of education.
- TMG's learning curve is not high. Like genealogical research, it simply comprises a large number of skills and options. If you try
to learn everything all at once, you will be overwhelmed. Instead, learn new skills as the need for them
- TMG is an excellent research tool, but it's still only a tool. It will help you organize, it will help
you analyze, and it will help you report; but ultimately, yours will be the brain behind the tool. Use TMG;
don't let TMG use you.
- If you are new to genealogy, TMG may not be the easiest program to use. On the other hand, if you are
an experienced genealogist, TMG should be your first choice, regardless of your computer expertise. Why?
Experienced researchers will know exactly what they want their software program to do and TMG may be the only
program available that will let them do it.
- Trust me; the world will not end simply because you make a mistake when using this program. If you want
to learn the program, take the plunge! Enter data, create reports, make the program work for you.
- Most important, there is no one right way to use this program. If it does what you want it
to do, you've found the right way.