1917kelly

Trade Directories

 

Homepage

Kelly's Directory - Essex 1917

ARDLEIGH, mentioned in ''Domesday Survey'' is a parish on the road from Colchester to Manningtree, with a station on the main line of the Great Eastern railway, 5 miles north-east from Colchester, 3 south-west from Manningtree and 55 from London, in the North Eastern division of the county, Manningtree petty sessional division, Tendring Hundred and Union, Colchester , Clacton and Harwich joint county court district, rural deanery of Dedham, archdeaconary of Colchester and Chelmsford diocese. The church of St Mary the Virgin, a fine structure of flint and freestone, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a fine embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells; the 6th bell, cast about 1420 is inscribed,  ''Sum Rosa Puisals Mundi Maria Vocata:' over the porch is this inscription: Orate: p' animabus Johis Hue: at ye Wode et Alicie: uxuris ejus, Johis Hute: Willi: Hute:'' there is a memorial window to the Rev. Frederick Joseph Ball M.A. vicar 1897-1902; an organ was erected in 1905 at the cost pf 465; in 1883 the church was rebuilt and the tower and south porch restored, at a cost, including fittings and decoration, of 4,600, and in 1892 the bells rehung and a new bells added: there are 330 sittings. The register dates from the year 1555. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value 500, including 6 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1902 by the Rev. Reginald Hall Grubbe, B.A of Trinity College, Cambridge. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel. The cemetery here, formed in 1860, is one acres in extent and under the control of the Parish Council. The endowed charities amount to 52.6s, yearly. Ragmarsh farm was devised by William Littlebury in 1571, the rent to be expended for the instruction of poor boys of this parish at Dedham Grammar School. There were originally four manor houses in this parish, viz,; Bovills Hall, the property of W.R. Newth esq.; Mose Hall the property of the trustees of the late Rt. Hon. James Round P.C; Martell's Hall the property of Mr. Acton Philips and Ardleigh Hall, the property of the Messrs H and E. Edwards. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late Lord Lucas and Dingwall (d. 1916), Messrs H and E. Edwards, Messrs E Abbott and sons, Robert Richardson esq. and F.J. Baker esq. The soil is generally light gravel; subsoil, mild sandy bottom. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 5,058 acres of land and 4 of water; rateable value, 16, 826; population in 1911 was 1,420 in the civil and 1,250 in the ecclesiastical parish.

CROCKLEFORD, a part of Ardleigh, 2 miles south-west, has a small Mission church, originally built for a school: services are held on Sundays at 3 p.m. These is also a Primitive Methodist Chapel. 

ARDLEIGH CROWN, is a part of Ardleigh lying to the west, and is 3 miles from Colchester, on a small brook falling into the Colne and on the road from Colchester to Langham.

Post, M.O. & T.Office. -James Waller, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive by mail cart from Colchester.  Letters for Crockleford Heath come through Elmstead. Pillar Box at Station, Harwic Road & Bromley Road

Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Charles Edward Pettitt; attendance thursday, 12.30 to 1 p.m

Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), built in 1875, for 145 mixed & 52 infants ; Thomas Rous, master; Mrs. S Rous, infants mistress.

Railway Station, Arthur Booth, station master.

County Police, Ernest Charles Monk, constable

Carriers to:-

Private Residents

Commercial

 

Back to Trade Directories Index

Homepage