History of that part of the Susquehanna and Juniata valleys, embraced in the counties of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union and Snyder, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania...
Edited by F. Ellis and A. N. Hungerford.
Published in Philadelphia by Everts, Peck & Richards, 1886
Sketches of Practitioners—Early and Late Homœopathy.
The list of physicians which appears below was compiled from the tax-list of Mifflin County from 1767 to 1831, by A. L. Guss. Of those mentioned, Dr. William Smith, whose name is mentioned in 1767 as a non-resident of Fermanagh township, had located land at Hart’s Log, Huntingdon County, then within the limits of Fermanagh township. Dr. Joseph B. Ard was a son of Joseph Ard, of Tuscarora Valley; began practice in Lewistown, Mifflin County. A full account of him will be found in the medical chapter of that county. Dr. John Parshall, who is mentioned as owning land in Greenwood township, in 1823-25, was also in Perry County, and finally moved West. It does not appear that he was ever a practitioner of medicine in these counties.
Dr. James Galbreath, who was in Waterford 1829-31, moved to Perry County. A full account of his life will be found in the medical chapter of that county.
Dr. William Watson was a son of John Watson, of Mifflintown, and practiced medicine at Lewistown. A sketch of him will be found in the medical chapter of Mifflin County.
Of others not especially mentioned, no information has been obtained.
[The letters M., F., T., L., and W. are initials of the township in which they resided.]
J. B. Ard (M), 1809, 1817-31.
J. Bryson (F), 1807-12.
M. Cunningham (F), 1808-09.
J. Crawford (F), 1813-31.
David Crawford (F), 1811-31.
J. Christy (F), 1830.
E. Doty (F), 1793-1830.
T. Davis (G), 1825-29.
W. Elder (F), 1830-31.
J. Frow (M), 1817-20; (F), 1822-31.
J. Galbraith (T), 1829-31.
C. Hoff (L), 1824.
D. Hekker (F), 1811-12.
J. Harris (F), 1820-22.
P. Hamlin (F), 1826-31.
R. Irwin (M), 1785-86.
J. Auliman (G), 1817. (Jacob Alleman?)
J. Kelly (T), 1824; (M), 1830-31.
T. Laughlin (L), 1798-1804.
C. McCurdy (W), 1829-31.
M. McDonal (G), 1812.
W. Metland (M), 1829.
D. J. Magill (F), 1828-29.
C. Montoor (F), 1808-21.
W. Plunket (F), 1769-82 (non-resident).
J. Parshall (G), 1823-25.
W. Rogers (M), 1821-22.
T. Rowland (F), 1828.
W. Smith (F), 1767 (non-resident).
I. W. Snowden (G), 1821-30.
G. Snowden (G), 1822-31.
M. Shaller (F), 1819-20.
M. Shellenberger (G), 1826.
J. B. Smith (G), 1814-16.
D. Snowden (G), 1826-29.
A. Taylor (F), 1807-8.
W. Watson (F), 1802-4.
T. Whiteside (F), 1828-31.
Dr. Ezra Doty, a native of Sharon, Conn., was born July 7, 1767, and studied medicine with his father, Dr. Daniel Doty. About 1791 he journeyed westward on horseback, and while passing up the Juniata River, and stopping over night at Mifflintown, newly laid out, the people, learning he was a physician, called him to attend a sick person in the vicinity. He was invited to remain at the place and decided so to do. He boarded soon after at the tavern (then the Yellow House) for several years, and on November 14, 1811, married Rebecca, the widow of Daniel North, formerly a Miss Lewis. They soon after moved to a farm now owned by Mr. Sieber, and resided there for several years and there their eldest children were born. Upon his return to Mifflintown he lived in a log house on Water Street, in the rear of the Graybill building. In 1823 he built a brick house on the site of the present Doty residence, where he resided until his death. He was elected a member of the State Senate in 1812-13, and died in 1828. He had a large and extended practice and was highly esteemed. Two brothers, Roswell and Southard, also physicians, settled about 1802 in Lewistown.
Dr. John Bryson, a son of Judge Samuel Bryson, was born near Mifflintown, studied medicine with Dr. Ezra Doty, began practice in 1807 and continued in his native town until 1812, when he removed to Pittsburgh and engaged in a practice which he continued until his death, a few years since.
The Crawford family has been remarkably prolific of physicians, no less than five adopting the profession. The ancestor of this family of physicians of whom an account is here given was James Crawford, who emigrated to this country from Ireland and settled first in Lancaster County. About 1800 he removed, with his family, to Lost Creek settlement and located on Big Run, in Fermanagh township, where he died about 1824. Of his children, a son David studied medicine with Dr. John Bryson, of Mifflitown in 1808, and in 1810 began practice in that place and remained one year and moved to Aaronsburg, Centre County. After a year’s practice in that place he returned to Mifflintown and resumed the practice, which he continued until his death, February 13, 1848 (aged sixty-three years), with the exception of the year 1819, when he was in practice in Lewistown. He married, first, Elizabeth, a daughter of Samuel Davidson, of Fermanagh township, by whom he had two daughters, of whom Mr. Louisa Selheimer, of Lewistown, is one. He married, as a second wife, Margaret, a daughter of Samuel Brown, of West Hanover, Dauphin County, and whose wife was Rebecca Murray, of the old Murray family. They had six children, of whom two died in infancy. The others were sons, who arrived at manhood, studied medicine with their father and all became noted as physicians. The oldest of these was Samuel B., who was born June 7, 1817, and died July 23, 1878. He located for the practice of medicine at McCoysville, Juniata County, in May, 1843, and continued to practice his profession at that place with unusual skill and success until a year previous to his death, when his health failed. He was twice married. By his first wife, Miss Maria Louisa Crawford, he had two children, of whom James M. Crawford is now living in Tuscarora township. By his second wife, Miss Amanda Junk, he had four children of whom the mother and three children are living on the homestead.
The second son of Dr. David Crawford, E. Darwin Crawford, was born in June, 1819, and located for the practice of medicine in Thompsontown, Juniata County, also in May, 1843, and continued to practice in that place until 1857, when he moved to Mifflintown and took the practice of his brother, Dr. James M. Crawford, whose health had failed. He continued at that place until his death, which occurred May 2, 1864. He was elected to the State Senate in the fall of 1859, and served in the sessions of 1860, ’61, ’62. As a physician he was deservedly held in high esteem, and wherever known, as one of the ablest, most skillful and successful practitioners of medicine and surgery. He married Miss Pamelia J. Jackson, of Liverpool, by whom he had seven children, six of whom, with their mother, are living.
Dr. James W. Crawford, the third son of Dr. David Crawford, located in Mifflintown for practice immediately after his father’s death, in February, 1848, and continued actively and successfully until his health failed, in the fall of 1857. He gave up his practice to his brother, Dr. E. Darwin Crawford, and went to Florida for his health, and died there in 1861.
Dr. David M. Crawford, the youngest and only survivor of the four brothers, was born in Mifflintown, Pa., on the 30th of March, 1826. He received a thorough English training at the select schools of his native place and acquired a knowledge of the classics during a three year’s course under Rev. John Hutchinson, an instructor of repute. He began the study of medicine in his father’s office and continued until the latter’s death, in 1848, entering the Medical University of the City of New York the following fall, when he attended lectures during the session of 1848-49. He at once began practice in connection with his brother, E. Darwin Crawford, in Thompsontown, Juniata County, and attended a second course of lectures during the session of 1850-51, graduating in March of the latter year. Choosing Millerstown, Perry County, as a desirable field of location, he continued in active practice until 1864, when Mifflintown again became his home, as successor to his brother, E. Darwin Crawford, who died the same year. Here he has since enjoyed a career of uninterrupted success as a practitioner. His thorough training, skill in surgery and quick perception as a diagnostician speedily enabled him to take a leading place in the county, and brought a correspondingly extended field of labor. As a consulting physician his practice extends far beyond the limits of the county of his residence. He has been, since the date of his location in Millerstown, surgeon of the Pennsylvania Railroad, his territory extending from Lewistown to Millerstown. The doctor has, as a Democrat, been actively and influential in politics, both in his county and in adjacent portions of the State. He was, in 1870, elected to the State Senate by a very flattering majority, and served with the sessions of 1871, ’72, ’73. He was re-elected, during the centennial year of 1876, to the sessions of 1877, ’78, ’79, serving during these periods on various important committees, among which were retrenchment and reform, railroads, new counties and county-seats, banks and banking, Federal relations, pensions and gratuities. The doctor’s religious belief is in accord with the creed of the Presbyterian Church, of which he and all his family are members. Dr. Crawford was, on the 10th of May, 1853, married to Miss Ellen E., daughter of James and Eliza Jackman, of Liverpool, Perry County. Their children are Rebecca Murray, Anna Jane (deceased), Brodie Jackman (deceased), James Woodburn (deceased), Darwin McLean, Martyn Payne, Edgar Druitt. The death of Anna Jane occurred May 12, 1867; that of James Woodburg August 28, 1867. Brodie Jackman died on the 27th of July, 1863, aged twenty-seven years. He was educated at the select schools of Mifflintown and the Airy View Academy, Port Royal, under Professor David Wilson; entered the sophomore class of Princeton College at the age of sixteen and graduated with honor three years later. Deciding upon the law as a profession, he entered the office of Alfred J. Patterson, Esq., of Mifflintown, and was admitted to the bar in 1881. While still in feeble health, he began practice in his native place. His career, though brief, was replete with the promise of future usefulness. Bright in intellect, well grounded in the knowledge of law, with great urbanity of manner and many genial qualities of heart, he was destined to high position and honor in his profession, when he succumbed in the heroic struggle for life. The bar of the county paid fitting tributes to his memory and the loss they had sustained in his death. Darwin McLean began the study of medicine with his father, and entered the University College of the City of New York, from which he will graduate in 1886. Martyn Payne has adopted the profession of druggist, and Edgar Druitt is a student in the Mifflintown High School.
Dr. James Frow, a native of Fermanagh township, studied medicine with Dr. Ezra Doty, and began practice in Mifflintown in 1817 and continued until 1820, when he located for two years in Thompsontown and returned to Mifflintown and continued until his death, which occurred in April, 1865, aged sixty-eight years, His son, Thomas Frow, is a resident of Lewistown.
John Harris, M.D., son of James Harris, of Bellefonte, and grandson of John Harris, the founder of Mifflintown, studied medicine in Bellefonte. He practiced his profession in Mifflintown in the years 1820, 1821, 1822, and returned to Bellefonte, where he practiced many years and removed to Philadelphia. Soon after 1865 he was appointed cousul to Nice and died while at that station, aged eighty-seven years.
Dr. Isaac W. Snowden was a practicing physician in Thompsontown from 1821 to 1830. A fuller account will be found in medical chapter of Perry County.
Dr. John Green was also a practitioner at Thompsontown prior to 1835, and became a Methodist minister. He was succeeded in his practice by Dr. B. F. Fahnestock, who died in 1844.
Dr. Joseph Kelly was born in Milford township, November 18, 1795. During his youth he pursued a course of study in the classical school taught by Rev. John Hutchison in Mifflintown, distant three miles from his home. He studied medicine with Dr. John Harris, of Mifflintown, afterwards United States consul to Venice. He graduated at the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania February 20, 1822. The following autumn he commenced the practice of medicine, and continued in that work for thirty-seven years. His wife was Annie B. Stewart, of Tuscarora Valley. He bought a farm in Spruce Hill, where he made his home for nearly forty years. His practice covered the greater part of Tuscarora Valley, and often extended into part of Perry County and Black Log Valley. As a physician he was greatly respected by the people, and stood high in his profession. He was on the most friendly terms with the other physicians of the county, of whom were Drs. Frow and Crawford, of Mifflintown. He was very temperate in his habits, and when visiting patients always traveled on horseback. Six young men read medicine with him,--Samuel Floyd, of Pittsburgh, N. E. Hackedorn, of Galion, Ohio; J. P. Sterrett, of Pittsburgh; James Kelly, of Patterson; E. E. Gilson and J. P. Devor, of Texas—of whom only two are now living. He enjoyed the practice of his profession, and responded to the calls of the rich and poor alike, often traveling at night many miles distant in the most inclement weather. In early life he united with the Lower Tuscarora Presbyterian Church, of which Rev. John Coulter was then pastor. In this church he was a ruling elder, and in its Sabbath-school and benevolent work he was ever an interested and diligent worker, and commanded his household after him. He took an active interest in Tuscarora Academy, and was from its organization a trustee until near the time of his death. He was an advocate of the temperance cause and in full sympathy with his pastor in his efforts to suppress the excessive use of intoxicating beverages. He only ceased his practice in medicine when the infirmities of age prevented him from giving his patients the care they needed. After the death of his wife, which occurred May 16, 1870, he removed to Port Royal, where he died May 26, 1877, in his eighty-second year, and was interred at Academia. Juniata County has not had another physician with a career so long and so illustrious.
Dr. Thomas Whiteside began practice in Harrisburg, and in 1825 purchased Oakland Mills, and removed to that place and practiced medicine in the vicinity until 1842, when he moved to Millerstown, and died June 27, 1845. Dr. Abram Stees, his son-in-law, also practiced in the vicinity and removed at the same time with Dr. Whiteside.
Jerman Walker Beale, M.D., was born in York Springs, Adams County, July 9, 1802; married Ann S. Laird; studied medicine with Dr. McConnell, in Lewistown; graduated at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia; practiced medicine in Port Royal for some years; then located in Lewistown, Pa., where he continued to practice his profession until 1847 or 1848, when he returned to Port Royal. He is still living, at the age of four-score, but has not been engaged in work for some years, on account of age and debility.
Dr. Michael Shellenberger, a native of the county, read medicine with Dr. Samuel Mealy, of Millerstown, and began practice in Richfield in 1826, and continued about fifteen years.
Dr. Philo Hamlin, a nephew of Dr. Ezra Doty, was a native of Connecticut, born in 1800. He came to this region with his uncle, who was east on a visit in the year 1815, and entered his office as student of medicine. He graduated at Jefferson Medical College in 1826, and upon his uncle’s death, in 1828, succeeded to his practice, and continued actively engaged until 1866, when he retired from active work. He was beloved by the community, and had the esteem and confidence of the physicians of the township, with whom he was often in consultation. He died in Mifflintown June 28, 1879.
Dr. John McCullough was a native of Juniata County, and of the family of McCullough, who were of the early settlers on the west side of the river. He was born November 15, 1806. He graduated at Jefferson College, Cannonsburg, Pa.; read medicine with Dr. Joseph B. Ard, of Lewistown; attended medical lectures at the Medical Department of Pennsylvania, and graduated in March, 1829. He located first at McVeytown, later at Alexandria, Huntingdon County, and a few years later at Petersburg, where he remained in practice until 1852, when he was elected to Congress. At the expiration of his term he removed to Huntingdon, where his death occurred May 15, 1879.
Dr. William Elder began the study of medicine with Dr. Thomas Whiteside, of Oakland Mills, about 1830, and practiced in Mifflintown in 1831-32, and removed to Philadelphia. He was the author of the “Life of Dr. E. K. Kane,” of Arctic fame, and several other works. He died in 1885.
Dr. John Irwin was born in Union County, Pa., in April, 1809. He studied medicine with Dr. Thomas Van Valzah, and graduated at the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania; began practice in Millerstown about 1833; continued in that about seven years, and in 1840 retired to a farm near Thompsontown, where he died March 14, 1853.
Dr. George I. Cuddy was born in Ireland. He studied medicine in Dublin. After graduating he came to Philadelphia, where for several years he pursued the business of a physician and druggist. In 1843 he located in Port Royal and soon after married Miss Priscilla Gracy. He continued in active and successful practice until the time of his death, which occurred on October 30, 1855, aged thirty-eight years.
Dr. Samuel Floyd studied medicine with Dr. Joseph Kelly in 1843-44; graduated in Philadelphia; commenced the practice of his profession at Doyle’s Mills, Juniata County, where he remained some years, and then moved to Pittsburgh, where he continued to work and reside until his death, which occurred about 1878.
Dr. J. W. Pearce studied medicine with Dr. C. L. Weymer, then of Northumberland County, began practice in Richfield, in 1844, and continued in practice in that place until his death, in 1879.
Dr. Lemuel Kinsloe was a practicing physician in Mexico from 1844 to about 1850, when he moved West.
Dr. Hudson practiced also in Mexico from 1851 to 1860, and in the latter year removed to Tennessee. He was succeeded by Dr. John Applebough, who remained a few years, removed to Port Royal, where he practiced a year, and located in Harrisburg. Dr. John McKeehan succeeded Dr. Applebough and remained in practice until 1876, when he was succeeded by Dr. George Arnold, a student of Dr. Hook, of Loysville. Dr. Arnold is still in practice in Mexico.
Dr. Henry Harshbarger was born in Potter township, Centre County, February 18, 1818. He studied medicine with his brother, Dr. Abraham Harshbarger, and from 1844 practiced four years at McAlisterville. He then attended lectures and graduated at Jefferson Medical College, after which he practiced several years at Gratztown, Dauphin County. In the spring of 1856, on the removal of his brother, Dr. Abraham Harshbarger, from McAlisterville to Port Royal, he removed to the former place, began practice and continued until his death, January 28, 1883.
Dr. Work Murphy was born in Lack township; educated at Tuscarora Academy; attended a medical college in Philadelphia; commenced the practice of medicine near Peru Mills, but died from the effects of small-pox about 1850.
Dr. Noah E. Hackendorn studied medicine with Dr. Joseph Kelly about the years of 1845-46. He graduated in Philadelphia; practiced his profession for several years, in Port Royal, after which he removed to Galion, Ohio, where he still resides.
Dr. John P. Sterrett, son of Robert and Margaret (Patterson) Sterrett, was born in Milford township April 26, 1826. His wife was Annie Kennedy, of Chester County. He was educated at Tuscarora Academy, and studied medicine under Dr. Joseph Kelly, of Spruce Hill. In the fall of 1849 he opened an office in Johnstown; in the spring of 1850 removed to Academia, where he practiced in his profession until 1875, when he removed to Port Royal, where he practiced until the spring of 1879, when he removed to Pittsburgh, where he continues in the profession up to the present time, enjoying an enlarged practice. A man of fine appearance, genial in manners, skilled in his profession, he left the county regretted by many friends. His brother, Judge James Sterrett, raised at the same homestead and well-known for his attainments in legal lore, also lives in Pittsburgh, occupying a seat on the bench of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania. They still own the old homestead in Milford.
Dr. William Crouse was in practice in Richfield from 1849 to 1851.
Dr. J. W. Wallis came to the same place in 1850, and is still in practice.
Dr. A. A. Murray, of Centre Co., was also in practice there, and remained about ten years.
Dr. J. B. Hoover, of Lancaster County, about 1850 located in Richfield and remained three years.
In 1872 J. W. Dechart studied medicine with Dr. Stites, of Millerstown, and in 1873 graduated at a medical college in Cincinnati; settled in Richfield, and is still in practice.
Dr. C. L. Weymer, for many years a practitioner in Northumberland County, settled at Richfield about 1855, and lived there until his death, a few years since.
Dr. Joseph P. Kirk, son of William and brother of James Kirk, the merchant, of Mifflintown, was a tailor by trade, but soon devoted his attention to medicine. He traveled much in his day, having, it is said, been seventeen times to Cuba. He practiced medicine in Waterford for a number of years, and died there in 1867.
Dr. George M. Graham was born in Turbett township (now Spruce Hill), in Juniata County, on the 21st of March, 1829. He was reared on his father’s farm until the spring of 1840, when, with his father and family, he moved to Carlisle, Cumberland County. At the age of eighteen he entered Tuscarora Academy, the under the care and direction of Professor David Wilson; was for a time a student of Dickinson College; taught school for several terms; studied medicine with Dr. John Armstrong, in Carlisle; graduated at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1853; located at Port Royal, and then associated himself, for the practice of medicine and surgery, with Dr. George I. Cuddy; remained in partnership with him until October 30, 1855; was married to Rebecca J. Kelly on June 1, 1854; has continued to practice his profession to the present time, having his residence in Port Royal.
Dr. James Kelly was born in Milford township, Juniata County, Pa., in 1826. He pursued his studies at Tuscarora Academy; studied medicine with his uncle, Dr. Joseph Kelly; practiced for a time at Johnstown, in Juniata County; the spent some years in California, and on his return, in 1853, located in Patterson, where he continued to practice his profession until the time of his death, which occurred about 1859 or 1860.
Dr. Peter L. Greenleaf was born in Lancaster County March 25, 1830; studied medicine with Dr. E. Darwin Crawford, of Thompsontown; attended lectures at the Medical Department of the University of New York, from which institution he graduated in March, 1854, and at once entered into partnership with his preceptor, Dr. Crawford, and upon the removal of the latter to Mifflintown, in 1857, came to his practice, and continued until his death, October 2, 1876. He was a close student, and a man of fine medical acquirements, and enjoyed a practice beyond the ordinary field of a physician.
Dr. A. J. Fisher studied medicine with Dr. Thomas Van Valzah, in Lewisburgh; graduated in Medical College, and began practice in McAlisterville in 1857, and still continues.
Dr. Seth F. Myers, a native of Fermanagh township, studied medicine with Dr. Benney, of Boalsburg, Centre County, and Dr. Baldwin, of Shirleysburg; attended lectures two years at the Medical University of New York, and one year at Pennsylvania Medical College. He graduated in March, 1857, and settled in South Bend, Ind. In 1861 he was appointed assistant surgeon in United States navy, and surgeon, March 23, 1862, of the Seventy-third Regiment Indiana Volunteers, and surgeon of the Post Hospital, Nashville, Tenn. After the war he returned to South Bend, and in 1867 moved to Philadelphia, and resided there until 1884, when, broken down in health, he moved to McAlisterville, where he now resides.
Dr. Louis E. Atkinson, a native of Walker township, Juniata County, studied medicine with Dr. P. L. Greenleaf, of Thompsontown, attended lectures at the Medical Department of the University of the City of New York, and graduated from that institution in March, 1861. He enlisted in the army as assistant surgeon of the First Pennsylvania Cavalry, and later became surgeon. On his retirement from the service he studied law, was admitted to the bar of Mifflin County, and is now in practice in Mifflin. He is at the present time (1885) the Representative to Congress from this district.
Dr. Lucien Banks is a native of Fermanagh township, son of David and grandson of Andrew Banks. He was born May 13, 1841, and after attending the public schools of the township he became a student at Tuscarora Academy, at Academia. He studied medicine with Dr. David M. Crawford, Mifflin; attended lectures at the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania, and graduated in March, 1867. He began his professional career in Mifflintown, where he now enjoys an extensive and lucrative practice. He was chosen one of the surgeons of that section of the Middle Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad extending from Newport to Lewistown, entailing a large amount of responsible work in surgery, there being a hospital at Mifflintown. He represented his district in the Legislature in the session of 1879-80.
Dr. Thomas A. Elder was born at Mifflintown March 9, 1843. He was educated in the common schools and private schools of the vicinity, the Tuscarora Academy, at Academia, and the Pennsylvania Agricultural College, Centre County, Pa. He enlisted, while a student, for the emergency of 1863, and served during the continuance of the Rebellion, after which he went to Minneapolis, Minn., and studied medicine with Dr. Alfred G. Ames, attended lectures at the Rush Medical College in the winter sessions of 1866-67 and 1867-68, and graduated in February of the latter year. He returned to his native place and began the practice of medicine, which continued three years, when he attended lectures at Bellevue Hospital Medical College of New York, from which he received a degree March 1, 1872. He resumed practice at Mifflintown, and continued until January, 1884, when he attended lectures three months at the New York Polyclinic, and in September, 1884, removed to Aurora, Ill., where he now resides and is in practice.
Dr. Isaac N. Grubb was born August 25, 1840, in Wild Cat Valley, Perry County. He studied medicine with Dr. P. L. Greenleaf from 1866 to 1869; attended lectures at the Medical Department of the University of New York and graduated in March, 1869. He began practice of his preceptor, which he still continues.
Dr. Oliver H. McAlister, son of Hugh McAlister, of McAlisterville, was born in October, 1832; studied medicine in Philadelphia, and graduated in that city March 14, 1871. He settled in his native town and followed his profession until his death, February 15, 1883.
Dr. William Kopp Tritle Sahm, son of Rev. Peter and Susan (Trite) Sahm, was born in Johnstown, Cambria County, June 19, 1850. His father was descended from a German family that settled in Lancaster County at an early date; he became a minister in the Lutheran Church, was recognized as a preacher of great ability, and had conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Divinity. J. T. L. Sahm, district attorney of Juniata County, 1866-69, and later, for a time, partner of Ezra D. Parker, in the legal profession, was his oldest son. The subject of this sketch took a preparatory course at Selinsgrove, then entered Pennsylvania College, at Gettysburg, from which he graduated in 1872. He read medicine with Dr. S. W. Bird, of New Berlin, and graduated at Jefferson Medical College, in Philadelphia, in March, 1877. After practicing a few months with Dr. B. P. Hooke, at Loysville, he removed, in April, 1878, to McCoysville, where he entered into partnership with Dr. Samuel B. Crawford. This partnership was terminated by the death of Dr. Crawford, in July of that year. Since then Dr. Sahm has continued alone in this large field, occupying the place made vacant by his able and lamented predecessor.
Dr. David L. Allen, son of Isaac Allen, of Mifflintown, was born in Walker township; raised in Milford; read medicine with Dr. L. Banks; graduated at the New York Bellevue Hospital Medical College, and practiced his profession at Academia for six years, commencing in 1874. Hoping to recover his failing health, he removed to Shenandoah, Iowa, where he at once took a high rank in his profession, but soon died a victim of consumption.
Dr. A. W. Shelly, son of Henry and Catharine (Gingrich) Shelly, was born near East Salem, July 26, 1850. His wife was Annie M. Herr, of Mexico. He was educated at Bloomsburg State Normal School, in Columbia County, and read medicine with Dr. H. R. Kelly, of Galion, Ohio. He graduated at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, and commenced the practice of medicine in Port Royal, Pa., in April, 1874, in partnership with Dr. G. M. Graham for two years. In March, 1876, he commenced the practice of his profession in Harrisburg, but after remaining there seven months, he returned to Port Royal, where he has been in practice up to this date.
Dr. R. M. Quig, son of Dr. F. W. and E. A. Quig, was born at Catasauqua, Lehigh County, he was educated at the Grammar and High Schools of Catasauqua; graduated at Jefferson Medical College, in Philadelphia, in 1875. He practiced medicine with his father in Catasauqua; removed to East Waterford, where, in 1883, he married Belle, daughter of A. J. Ferguson, and has been in active practice there to this date.
Dr. Jacob L. Sandoe, a native of Mifflintown, was born May 8, 1855; studied medicine with Dr. Lucien Banks, attended medical lectures at the University of Pennsylvania, and graduated in March, 1878. He began practice in Mifflintown and, after a few years with Dr. Banks, opened a drug-store, taking the principal charge, and still continues.
Dr. James C. Heading, son of William M. and Mary J. Heading, was born in Allenville, Mifflin County, February 10, 1859. He received his education in the Allenville schools; read medicine with Dr. J. G. Lightner, of Allenville, 1879-81; graduated in 1882 at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Baltimore, Md. He commenced the practice of medicine on April 3, 1882, at Johnstown (Walnut), Juniata County, and has remained there ever since.
Dr. Samuel A. Suloff, son of Henry and Elizabeth (Aughey) Suloff, was born in Fermanagh township, September 12, 1857. His youth was spent at the mountain home farm of his parents, who gave him the best training and education they could afford, receiving his education partly at Chicago, Ill. He commenced to read medicine with Dr. Thomas A. Elder, of Mifflintown, in January, 1878, and graduated at Rush Medical College, in Chicago, and opened an office in Newport, Perry County, where he practiced medicine one year. He then removed to Patterson borough, where he has continued the practice of his profession to this date.
Dr. J. C. Weidman was born at Oakland Mills in 1860, and studied medicine with Dr. A. J. Fisher, of McAlisterville, and graduated at Jefferson Medical College in 1882. He began practice at McAlisterville and still continues there.
The first physician of this school who practiced in the county was Dr. Reinhold, who settled at Mifflin and practiced there a few years.
Dr. Frederick Long, a native of Hesse Darmstadt, graduated as an allopathic physician in Germany, and upon his arrival in this country entered the Homœopathic College in Philadelphia, where he graduated, and in 1855 settled in Thompsontown, where he practiced until 1877, when he removed to Reading, and later to Harrisburg, where he died.
Dr. William Smith and Dr. B. F. Book, the latter a native of Mifflin, graduated at the Hahnemann Medical College, in Philadelphia, in March, 1883, and settled in Mifflin, where they remained until March, 1884, when they removed to Lewistown, where they are now in practice.
Dr. Lewis P. Willig, a native of Chester County, studied medicine with Dr. J. W. Pratt, of Coatesville, and graduated at the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in March, 1883, and began the practice of medicine in Coatesville. In March, 1884, he came to Mifflin and succeeded to the practice of Dr. B. F. Book, who removed to Lewistown.
The graphics on this website are not in the public domain.
© 2013 by Michael Milliken