A Dartmouth MITCHELMORE family: Newspaper clippings

Newspaper clippings

Edwin Charles Burnell MITCHELMORE
Emily Florence MITCHELMORE
Frederick George MITCHELMORE


Charles Frederick MITCHELMORE
Augustus John MITCHELMORE   
Caroline Louisa MITCHELMORE

Charles Frederick MITCHELMORE
Emily Florence MITCHELMORE

William Arthur MITCHELMORE
William Henry (1) MITCHELMORE

William Thomas (1) PILLAR
William Thomas (2) PILLAR


Caroline Louisa MITCHELMORE
- advertisement
Charles Frederick MITCHELMORE  - advertisement
Elizabeth MITCHELMORE - advertisement
John (1) MITCHELMORE - news item
Nathaniel MITCHELMORE - advertisement
William Henry (1) MITCHELMORE - court case
William Henry (1) MITCHELMORE - court case
William Henry (2) MITCHELMORE - advertisement
William Henry (2) MITCHELMORE - advertisement

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 16 Feb 1872
Births, Marriages and Deaths


Feb 14, at Breeze Cottage, Crowther’s Hill, Dartmouth, Mr John Mitchelmore aged 65.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 16 Feb 1872

Before H. Studdy, Esq. (chairman), & F.Uniacke, Esq.

Alleged PoachingW. H. Mitchelmore v. Mr. Carter and Rogers

    This case, which had been three times previously adjourned, again came on for hearing. It was a summons used by Mr. W. H. Mitchelmore, butcher, of Dartmouth, against the defendants, for alleged poaching on his estate, Lower Brownston, in the parish of Brixham, on the 9th of December last.
    Mr Nelson prosecuted; Mr Carter defended.
   Mr Carter made the same objection that he had previously, viz., that the summons did not specify where the trespass was committed. Mr Nelson considered that the Bench had already decided that question.
    Mr Nelson gave a short account of the case, the chief points of which were that complainant occupied part of the estate of Brownston, belonging to Mr Seale Hayne. On the 9th of December last, Mr Fairweather saw two people on Mr Mitchelmore’s land. He saw a gun fire, and thereupon crossed Mr Mitchelmore’s fields, and observed defendants in the hedge. In the afternoon he again heard the reports of guns, and saw Mr Carter, with two guns in his hands, and a rabbit and several others in his pockets. Mr Mitchelmore, who was down in his barn, heard the firing, and on going out to see what was the matter, met the defendant Carter, and he said to him, “What, are you here again?” and demanded the rabbits he had. The complainant asked for them in a quiet way, but were refused. This was the evidence with regard to the trespass. With respect to the defendant, my learned friend opposite contends that permission had been given. It seemed to him very strange that although the case was adjourned especially for Mr Carter’s convenience, to get Mr Hayne to attend the court, that he was not here today. Mr Hayne was a gentleman that was frequently in this neighbourhood, and there was no difficulty in getting him there. With regard to the permission given by Mr Hayne, Mr Smith asked him for a day’s shooting for a friend. The request was granted, and on the 18th of November the defendant had his day’s sport, but instead of confining himself to that day only, he went again on the 9th of December. He would proceed to read letters which he had received from Mr Hayne, and which would throw considerable light on the matter.
    Mr Carter objected to have the letters read.
    Mr Nelson said that the letters were read before, at Mr Carter’s wish.
    The Bench, after a short consultation, ruled that the could not be admitted as evidence.
    Mr Nelson, continuing, said there was only one more point, and that was, strictly and legally speaking, Mr Hayne had no right to give permission, for his client was a yearly tenant, and in this case all the game on that estate belongs to the occupier. Mr Nelson then proceed to call
    W.H. Mitchelmore, sworn—I live at Dartmouth. I rent an estate called Lower Brownston. Mr Seale Hayne is my landlord, and I am a yearly tenant. I have about 95 acres. On the 9th of December last I went to my barn. I heard guns fire, and I went in the direction of the sound. I met Mr Carter and Mr Rogers, the defendants. I said to Mr Carter you are here again today. He had two guns and a rabbit in his hand. It was between 3 and 4 o’clock in the afternoon when I met him in my field. He had also his pockets full of them. I said, what right have you here? He replied, more right than you have. I said, those rabbits you have belong to me, and I must have them. He said, if you try to take these rabbits, I will shoot you. He then dropped one rabbit he had in his hand, and one of the guns, and he stood at bay, and pointed the gun towards me. The gun was not cocked at the time, be he cocked both barrels. I picked up the gun and rabbit he dropped on the ground. He then dropped the gun he had in his hand, and plunged into me, and struck me, and callered me. I have never given Mr Carter permission to come on my land. I have seen him there before, in the field close to the house and court. I have seen him and Rogers there before, about three weeks before the 9th December. We had some conversation on that occasion.
    Cross-examined by Mr Carter—I took these proceedings myself. My landlord had nothing to do with it. I am a butcher and farmer. I have no agreement between my landlord and myself. All my agreements have been verbal. Mr S. Hayne does shoot over the estate, and I do not object to it. I have never seen others there, except your two clients. The defendant Carter was walking across the field when I met him. At that time he was out searching for game. He was carrying two guns. This was the nearest road to Mr Smith’s house. I did not make use of any bad language to defendant, but I said I would take the rabbits. I did not take the gun, nor did I see my son take it. The other gun was taken up by a man named Harvey. The field is in my occupation. I did not take away any rabbits. Some children took them away. I did not see them shot upon my ground. I do not know how many there were. The gun was first taken in the linhay1 and I afterwards took possession it. It do not know what day it was.
    By Mr Nelson—I gave the gun to Mr Rogers, on condition that it should be brought here if required.
    Mr T Fairweather, sworn—I am a farmer living at Boohay, in the parish of Brixham. On Saturday the 9th of December, between 9 and 10 in the morning, I was at work in my field, which was opposite the one occupied by Mr Mitchelmore. I saw two people in the field rabbiting, one on each side of the hedge. I saw them several times, there being only one field between us. I then went to Mr Mitchelmore’s court, and stopped there until 12.30, when I went home to dinner. I went across Mr Mitchelmore’s fields, and saw the defendants trying the hedge for rabbits, both in complainant’s field. I heard Rogers say, have you got the ferret, as I passed on.
    Cross-examined by Mr Carter—This hedge was adjoining my field. I did not see any ferret as I walked on. When I saw them I was in Mr Mitchelmore’s field.
    Mr W Bartlett, sworn—I occupy a farm called Coulton, in the parish of Brixham. On the 9th of December last I saw the defendants in Mr Mitchelmore’s field, about 1 p.m. Carter had a gun in his hand, and was standing, evidently watching for something. I did see him fire, but I heard some shooting. Later in the day, about 4 o’clock, I saw both the defendants in an adjoining field. Mr Carter was at that time scuffling with complainant.
    Cross-examined by Mr Carter—I have known Mr Mitchelmore some years. He knows me well. The first time I saw Rogers, on the 9th December, was in a field of turnips belonging to Mr Michelmore. I was fixing some steam thrashing machinery.
    Mr Carter, in his speech for the defence, said that there was not the slightest ground of evidence against the defendant Rogers to show that he was upon a certain piece of land in search of game; and with respect to the defendant Carter, that he was in pursuit of game, because rabbits were in his possession, was no evidence that these rabbits were taken on Mr Mitchelmore’s grounds. All the evidence went to show that firing was heard, but no seen. In his opinion the whole case fell through, for want of evidence.
    The Bench decided to hear the defence, and Mr Carter, after giving a short summary, proceeded to call
    Mr F. Y. Smith, of Penang Villa, sworn—I live at Penang Villa, Brownston. I purchased the property nine years ago. I know Mr S. Hayne quite well. I am also acquainted with Mr T. Carter. I and my tutor, Mr Lewis, saw Mr Hayne in the month of December about half-way between my house and Kingswear. He gave me permission to invite a friend, to have a day or two’s sport. I then invited Mr Carter to come down, and he came in consequence of my invitation.
    Cross-examined by Mr Nelson—Mr Hayne wrote that the day that was fixed would not suit. I do not recollect when this conversation took place; it might be before December. Mr Carter had been down shooting twice-once before the 9th. The first time he was there, was after the conversation with Mr Hayne. I gave him permission twice.
    By Mr Carter—The letter produced was the first invitation. Both times he came down at my invitation. I believe I had general permission to invite my friends.
    By Mr Nelson—I will not swear when the letter was posted. I did not know that the defendant Carter had shot on the Saturday previous.
    Mr W. D. Lewis—I am tutor at Mr Smith’s. I me Mr Seale Hayne, when in company with Mr Smith, about the latter end of November. On permission being asked by Mr Smith, Mr Hayne said he might have leave to invite a friend when he pleased, but he must shoot rabbits. I saw complainant on the 9th of December, on the occasion when he was attacked.
    The Bench, after a short consultation, dismissed the case, on the ground of the loose understanding of the rights of shooting between Mr Hayne and Mr Mitchelmore, and that the defendant had received permission of Mr Smith.

Assault Case

    This arose from the last case, and was an alleged assault committed by Mr Carter on Mr Mitchelmore on the 9th Dec.
    Mr Nelson appeared for Mr Mitchelmore, and Mr Carter for defendant.
    Mr Mitchelmore, sworn, said—on the 9th Dec last I saw the defendant walking towards me, he had two guns and a rabbit in his hand. I said you are here again to-day; and he replied he had more right there than I had. I demanded what he had belonging to me. He said if you attempt to touch these rabbits I will shoot you, but when he saw me stoop to  pick up the rabbits he ran at me and struck me. After that we grappled, and he fell on the ground, and I on top of him. I then said I can serve you as I like, but I did not strike him.
    Cross-examined by Mr Carter—I fell on him. I kept him down tow or three minutes. I demanded the rabbits. I did not demand the gun. When he threatened to shoot me I picked up the gun and said I would have it.
    By Mr Nelson—Before any thing of this transpired the defendant struck me.
    Mr Harvey, sworn, said—On the 9th Dec. I was at work on Mr Mitchelmore’s farm. Mr Mitchelmore called upon me to come to his assistance, and I saw the defendant strike the complainant in the face. Mr Carter dropped the gun and I picked it up. I kept the gun until the scuffle was ended. I heard Mr Carter say I will shoot you.
    Cross-examined by Mr Carter—I did not see the consequences of the scuffle. I do not know Mr Mitchelmore’s son. I did not strike Mr Carter. When Mr Mitchelmore demanded the rabbits, defendant said if you attempt to take the rabbits I will shoot you. After the scuffle was over all walked towards the barn. After we had gone about thirty yards Rogers came and challenged to fight either of us, and Mr Carter put his fist in my face.
    Mr N. Bartlett, sworn, said—On the 9th of Dec. last I was on Lower Brownston estate. Saw Carter and Mitchelmore struggling together, both having hold of a gun. G. Harvey was there. Rogers came afterwards. I took the cartridges out of the gun.
    For the defendant, Mr Carter called
    J. Rogers, who said—On the 9th of Dec. I went as servant to Mr Carter. He left me in charge of the guns. I saw Mr Carter on his back and complainant on him. I asked Mr Mitchelmore several times for my gun, and he said he did not know anything about it.
    Case dismissed.

1A double-storied open-sided structure comprising a cattle or cart shelter on the ground floor with a hayloft above.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 23 Feb 1872

STRANGE BEQUEST—Mr J Mitchelmore, whose death appeared in our obituary of last week, left, by his will, the sum of £1 to be paid to the ringers of St. Saviours, for a funeral knell. The knell was rung on Wednesday last, and the money was paid the same evening. Mr Mitchelmore was an old ringer, and also noted in his younger days as being a wrestler, and we believe he had won some prizes.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 23 Feb 1872
Monday, February 19th
Before the Mayor, and E. M. Turner, Esq.
    Mr W. H. Mitchelmore, butcher, appeared on a summons taken out by Mr E Ashford, ironmonger, of the Quay, for having a savage dog loose and unmuzzled, on February 8th, contrary to section 28 of the Town’s Police Clauses Act, 1847, and that the said dog did fly at him, and inflict a severe bite on his arm.
    Mr Ashford gave evidence as to the injury received by him.
    Mr  J. White, Capt. Faremouth, and John Hare, gave evidence as to the ferocious character of the dog.
    Mr Mitchelmore said he had offered to put the dog away, or have it confined. The dog being a valuable animal to him he did not wish to have it destroyed.
    Mr Ashford said that he had applied to have the dog destroyed, but Mr Mitchelmore having refused, therefore he had taken the present proceedings.
    The bench considered the case fully proved, and the defendant was fined 10s and costs, which was paid.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 9 May 1873
Births, Marriages and Deaths


May 4th, at Lower-street, Dartmouth, the wife of Mr. N. Mitchelmore, of a daughter.

Totnes Times Sep 1878
Births, Marriages and Deaths


Sept 5, by licence, at St. Petrox Church, Dartmouth, by the Rev Walters, Mr Robert Pillar, second son of Mr L Pillar, builder and surveyor, to Caroline, eldest daughter of Mr W. H. Michelmore, butcher, Dartmouth.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 11 March 1881
Births, Marriages and Deaths

March 10th, at Lower Street, Dartmouth, Mr. W. H. Mitchelmore, butcher, aged 47 years.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 11 March 1881
Weekly Chit-Chat

The melancholy news of the almost sudden death of Mr. W. H. Mitchelmore, of Bearscove, has come upon us in such an unexpected manner, that I can hardly realise the solemn fact that we have seen the last of our genial friend and neighbour. Perhaps a brighter example of what perseverance, tact, and general aptitude for business, can achieve, was never known, and his career should be a stirring example to the rising generation, of what is possible to be achieved. His death will make a void in many circles of Dartmouth and locality, and in none more so than among his agricultural friends, by whom he was highly respected for his strict honesty of purpose in all his business transactions. It is nothing derogatory to the memory of our departed friend to say he was a self-made man, of whom any town may be justly proud. Largely connected with shipping, he took a lively interest in the pilotage question, to accelerate which he was instrumental in building a large pilot cutter only a short while since. Mr Mitchelmore leaves a widow and seven children.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 18 March 1881
Local Intelligence

THE LATE MR. MITCHELMORE.—The remains of the late W. H. Mitchelmore were interred, at Townstal, on Wednesday last. The funeral cortege left the house at 11 o’clock, and comprised seven carriages, followed by above 100 of the principal inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood, nearly every shop on the route being partially closed. The service was impressively read by the Vicar, the Rev. E. C. Britton. The funeral arrangements were conducted by Messrs. L. C. Pillar and Son, of South Town.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 18 March 1881


BEGS to give notice to the Gentry and Inhabitants of Dartmouth and its vicinity, that he has succeeded to the business lately carried on by his deceased Father, in Lower Street, and hopes by strict attention thereto, to receive a continuance of the support which was so liberally accorded to him for many years.
Dated, March 17th, 1881.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 2 December 1887
Births, Marriages and Deaths


Novr. 24th, at the Congregational Church, Paignton, Charles Frederick, second son of Mr. N. Mitchelmore, to Caroline Louisa, eldest daughter of Mr. Thomas Tucker, both of Dartmouth.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 30 December 1887
Classified advertisements

Wanted—A good general servant. Apply W. H. Mitchelmore, Lower Street, Dartmouth.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 15 April 1897
Births, Marriages and Deaths

MRS MITCHELMORE and Family, desire to return thanks to their numerous friends for kind sympathy shown them in their recent sad bereavement.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 15 April 1897


of Lower Street, Dartmouth, begs to return thanks for the kind support accorded to her late husband in his business for many years past, and to announce that the Business will still be carried on all its branches by herself and two sons, and they trust by careful attention to the same, to merit a share of the patronage of the inhabitants of Dartmouth and neighbourhood generally.
Dated April 13, 1897.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle weekly throughout 1899 (and probably other years)
Trade Directory

Painters, Paper-hangers, &c.

N. MITCHELMORE & SON, House and Yacht Decorators, Lower-street, Dartmouth. Paper hanging, Oil, Lead, Varnish. Plain, coloured, and Fancy-pattern Glass always in stock. Estimates, town or country, given free.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 29 December 1899
Births, Marriages and Deaths


Dec. 26th., at Newcomin Road, Elizabeth, widow of the late Nathaniel Mitchelmore. Funeral to leave the house on Saturday at 2:30 pm.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 3 May 1901
Births, Marriages and Deaths


The relatives of the late Miss Emily Mitchelmore desire to thank all those who have so kindly sympathised with them in their recent sad bereavement, and the following, who sent wreathes and floral tributes:—Mrs. Cameron, Miss Nellie and Masters Harry and Charley Cameron, Mrs. Jones née Lonie, …, Miss Annie Saunders, Miss Dyer, “Bertie, Arthur, and Ivy”, Miss Katie Mitchelmore, Mr. and Mrs. E. Mitchelmore.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 29 October 1909
Births, Marriages and Deaths


MITCHELMORE.—October 16th, at the Cottage Hospital, Dartmouth, William Arthur Mitchelmore, second son of the late Nathaniel Mitchelmore, aged 44 years.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle weekly throughout 1909-1911 (and probably other years)
Trade Directory

Painters and Paper-hangers

CHAS. MITCHELMORE, Plain and Ornamental Painter, Decorator, Plumber and Glazier, Newcomin Road, Dartmouth. Plain and Fancy Coloured Glass. Estimates, town or country given free. Artists’ Materials of all kinds stocked. Large assortment of Paperhangings all prices and designs.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 22 September 1911
Births, Marriages and Deaths


MITCHELMORE.—Sept. 16th, at Kynance House, Keyham, Devonport, the wife of N. Mitchelmore, R. N., a son.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 3 May 1918
Births, Marriages and Deaths


MITCHELMORE.—April 28th, at 15 Newcomin Road, Dartmouth, Charles Frederick, aged 51 years.


MRS. C. MITCHELMORE AND FAMILY desire to return their sincere thanks for the kind sympathy shown to them in their late sad bereavement.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 3 May 1918
Funeral of Mr. C. F. Mitchelmore

       It is with regret that we record the death of Mr. Charles F. Mitchelmore, 15 Newcomin Rd., Dartmouth, who had for many years carried on the business of painter and decorator, also the Art Gallery. Mr. Mitchelmore, who died on Sunday at the age of 51, was intimately connected with the Hauley Lodge, 797, and the brothers of the lodge attended, while members of the Rechabites acted as bearers. Mourners present at the funeral yesterday were Mrs. Mitchelmore (widow), Mr. N. Mitchelmore C.E.R.A. (son), Miss Ivy Mitchelmore (daughter), Mr. Mitchelmore, R.N. (brother), Mr. E. Mitchelmore (brother), Mrs. S. Maunder (sister), Mr. T. Tucker (father-in-law), Mrs. E. Mitchelmore (sister-in-law), Mrs. R. Pillar (cousin), Councillor A. Mallet of Teignmouth (cousin), Mr. T. Tucker, jun., and Mr. H. Tucker (brothers-in-law). Corporal Arthur Mitchelmore, another son of the deceased, was unable to be present, being on active service. The funeral service was conducted by the Rev. H. V. Hobbs, Baptish minister.
       Floral tokens of sympathy were sent from the following—“From his loving wife and children, Nat, Bert, Arthur, and Ivy—Peace, perfect peace”; “With deepest sympathy from Min and his loving little grandson Freddie”; “With sincere sympathy from W. M., officers, and brethren of the Hauley Lodge, 797”; “With deepest sympathy from Mr. and Mrs. Rawk, Coventry House, Dartmouth”.
       Past Masters of “Hauley” Lodge acted as pall bearers, and W. Bro. Secretary W. R. Wedlake, P.P.G.S.B., read the Masonic Oration at the graveside, where a hymn was sung. Brethren present included [18 names, including R. T. Pillar] ...
       A large number of trades people and residents also attended.
       Mr. Mitchelmore’s illness was doubtless in part due to anxiety as to the fate of his son, Cor. Bert Mitchelmore, of the Worcester Regt., from whom no news had been received since the German attack. Yesterday, official news came to hand that he was wounded and missing.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 10 May 1918


WOULD like to thank the numerous Patrons of her late
husband, and to notify the Public that she proposes to
of Art Dealer, Painter, House Decorator, etc.,
And respectfully solicits their future Patronage and Support.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 13 December 1918
Births, Marriages and Deaths


MITCHELMORE.—December 5th, at 66 Ocean Street, Keyham, Devonport, wife of N. Mitchelmore, C.E.R.A. (H.M.S. Lion), of a son.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 5 August 1921
Births, Marriages and Deaths


PIKE-MITCHELMORE.—July 30th, 1921, at the Baptist Chapel, Dartmouth, by the Rev. Russell Hurdich, Henry Charles Pike, only son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Pike, of Speedwell House, to Ivy Elizabeth Mitchelmore, only daughter of Mrs. and the late Mr. C. Mitchelmore, of 15 Newcomin Road, Dartmouth.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 5 August 1921
Local Intelligence

DARTMOUTH WEDDING.—A quiet but pretty wedding took place on Saturday at the Baptist Church, Dartmouth, the contracting parties being Mr. H. C. T. Pike, only son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Pike, of Speedwell House, and Ivy Elizabeth Mitchelmore, only daughter of Mrs. and the late Mr. Chas. Mitchelmore, of Newcomin Road. The bride, who was given away by her mother, was dressed in putty colour crepe de chine, trimmed with saxe blue of the same material. The “best man” was Mr. Arthur Mitchelmore, youngest brother of the bride. Mr. & Mrs. H. C. T. Pike left later for Moreton-hampstead, where the honeymoon is being spent. They were recipients of numerous and useful presents.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 26 March 1926
Births, Marriages and Deaths


MITCHELMORE.—At Fairfax Place, Ernest, beloved husband of Mabel Mitchelmore, and loving father of Muriel, Emily, Valerie, Frank, and Geoffrey, died suddenly March 22nd, aged 50 years. “No more pain.” Leaving the house Saturday, 2:30 pm, for Townstal. Will friends accept this (the only) invitation.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 26 March 1926
Death of Mr. E. A. Mitchelmore

       A well-known and highly respected Dartmouth tradesman passed away suddenly on Monday in the person of Mr. Ernest A. Mitchelmore, house decorator, of Fairfax Place.
       Mr. Mitchelmore was engaged in the afternoon in placing a new plate glass window in Messrs. Elliott & Sons baker’s shop in St. George’s Square. About three o’clock he collapsed, and was carried to his home close by, and the end came shortly after seven o’clock without his regaining consciousness.
       He served with the Home forces during the war, and was 50 years of age. He leaves a widow, two sons and three daughters to whom sympathy will be extended in their bereavement.
       The funeral will take place to-morrow (Saturday) afternoon at Townstal, leaving the house at 2.30.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 2 April 1926
The Late Mr. E. A. Mitchelmore

Funeral at Townstal
       The funeral of Mr. Ernest A. Mitchelmore, of Fairfax Place, who died suddenly on March 22nd, aged 50 years, took place on Saturday at Townstal churchyard, the Rev. F. R. B. Simpson officiating.
       The mourners  were:—Mrs. E. Mitchelmore (widow), Mr. F. Mitchelmore (son), Miss Valerie Mitchelmore (daughter), Mr. A. Mitchelmore (brother), Mrs. G. Maunder (sister), Mr. S. Maunder (brother-in-law), Mrs. C. Mitchelmore, Paignton (sister-in-law), Mr. A. Mitchelmore (nephew), Mr. F. Haines  (Calne), Mr. Evans, senr., and Mr. Evans, jnr. (Kingswear), Mr. and Mrs. Dash, Totnes.
       There were also present [a long list of names, including F. Adams, W. G. Pillar, Robert Pillar, Richard Pillar, H. Veale].
       Members of the British Legion … acted as bearers.
       Beautiful wreathes were sent: “From a sorrowing wife and children, in memory of a devoted husband and father”; sister Gertie and Sid, also Annie and Aubrey, Torquay; Brother and Family, Lieut. A. Mitchelmore, Belcroft, Cowes; Sister-in-law Carrie, Ivy and Harry, Paignton; Fred and all at Castle Street, Calne; Bert, Mr. and Mrs. Evans, Kingswear; R. J. P. Oldreive, Fairfax Place; a bunch from the garden he loved so well; Bert and Louie, Ivy Lane; Minnie and Nat, Plymouth [and many more, including Members of the Constitutional Club; the Committee and Members of the British Legion; Mrs. E. Pillar and family, St. Georges Square; Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Pillar and family, Castle House; Mr and Mrs Burnell; Torquay Telephone Staff; and Mr. and Mrs. Angelo Belli].
       The flags of the Constitutional Club and the British Legion flew at half mast.
       Messrs. Robert Pillar and Son carried out the funeral arrangements.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 9 April 1926

Mrs E A Mitchelmore
Wishes to thank the public of Dartmouth and district for
the patronage and support accorded the business of
Painting and House Decorating
Carried on by the late Mr. E. Mitchelmore at
9, Fairfax Place
and desires to inform them that it will be
CONTINUED as usual under the title of
E. A. Mitchelmore and Son.
March 31st., 1926

The Western Evening Herald,  12 & 13 March 1929

MITCHELMORE - At a Nursing Home, March 10th, Augustus John, beloved husband of Rosalie E. Mitchelmore and devoted father of Bessie, aged 65 years. Funeral on Thursday. Service Hope Baptist Church, Peverell, 2 o'clock; thence to Old Cemetery. No flowers, by request. Friends please accept this (the only) intimation.

The London Times,  15 March 1929

Shipwright Lieutenant-Commander Augustus John Mitchelmore, M.B.E., R.N., retired, died on March 10, aged 66. Entering the Navy as a boy, he attained warrant rank as carpenter on June 1, 1897, and was promoted to chief carpenter in June, 1912. In August, 1913, he was appointed Chief Carpenter of Hong-kong Dockyard, where he served during the first part of the late War. In July, 1917, he was appointed for duties with the Dunkirk Flotilla, and on May 27, 1919, was appointed M.B.E. “for valuable services in carrying out repairs to vessels of the Sixth Destroyer Flotilla.” He was promoted to shipwright lieutenant on September 13, 1918, and retired in 1919, being promoted to shipwright lieutenant-commander in September, 1926.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 18 February 1938
Births, Marriages and Deaths


MITCHELMORE.—Caroline Louisa Mitchelmore, 19 Shoreton Valley Road, Paignton, widow of the late Chas. F. Mitchelmore, died 13th February, aged 74 years. Interred Dartmouth Cemetery.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 18 February 1938


       The funeral of Mrs. Caroline Louisa Mitchelmore, aged 74, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Pike, Shoreton Valley Road, Preston, Paignton, on Sunday, took place yesterday. The interment at Dartmouth Cemetery was preceded by a service at Preston Baptist Church, Rev. A. Johnson officiating.
       Mrs. Mitchelmore was a well-known old Dartmothian, and her husband, who died in 1918, was a former proprietor of the Art Gallery, Newcomin Road.
       The chief mourners were:—Mr. Nat, Mr. Bert, and Mr. Arthur Mitchelmore (sons); Mrs. Pike (daughter); Mr. Harry, Mr. John, Mr. Jack,  and Mr. Tom Tucker (brothers), Mrs. Laura Shadbolt  and Mrs. Sarah Brewer  (sisters), Mrs. J. Tucker  (sister-in-law), Mrs. B. Mitchelmore  (daughter-in-law), Mr. Fred  and Mr. Leonard  Mitchelmore (grandsons), Mr. H. Pike  (son-in-law); Mrs. Arthur Mitchelmore  (daughter-in-law).
       Wreathes were sent from:—Nat. and Min. and family; Bert and Lou and boys; Arthur and Nora  and boys; Ivy and Harry and Alan; Tom and Sarah; Laura and Bob; Jack and Amy and family; Harry and Anne  and family; Alf and Lizzy and family; Lucy and family; Ena and Doris and Will; Frank and Katie; Officers and Members of Preston Baptist Church; Floss, Ned and Phyllis (Sidmouth); Fred and Bill (Windsor); Mr. and Mrs. Downes; Mr. and Miss Dawson.

Dartmouth and South Hams Chronicle 25 February 1938
South Hams District News

Among those present at the funeral of Mrs. Mitchelmore, who died at Shoreton Valley Road, Preston, Paignton, on February 13, were Mr. Rodney Tucker (nephew), and Mr. Alfred Tucker (brother).

 The Western Guardian,20 June 20 1960

Seven former Mayors of Dartmouth
Walk as pall-bearers at funeral

      Friends from many walks of life were among the many mourners at St. Barnabas Church, Dartmouth on Monday afternoon for the funeral of Mr. William Thomas Pillar, of "Homeleigh," South Parade, a former Mayor and a leading figure in the Borough of Dartmouth.
      A retired builder and contractor, Mr. Pillar died at Dartmouth Hospital on Wednesday, June 15th, and would have been 74 on Monday. He was the third son of the late Mr. & Mrs. Robert Pillar.
      During the first World War he enlisted in 1914 in the Royal Artillery, seeing active service on the Western Front, and being wounded in the Battle of Passchendale. He was given his commission in the Royal Artillery and retired at the end of the war with the rank of Lieutenant.
      Mr. Pillar first entered Dartmouth Town Council in 1921 and served for nearly 30 years. He was Mayor during the Coronation Year of 1937 and was connected with many local activities.
      At the time of his death he was president of Dartmouth Bowling Club and was the first Chairman of the Dartmouth Rugby Club. He was a Past Master and former Treasurer of Hauley Lodge of Freemasons and held Provincial Rank.
      He had served as a member of Dartmouth Harbour Commission, South Devon Water Board, Dartmouth Charities and Dartmouth United Charities and was a member of the Dartmouth Swimming Pool Committee.
      Mr. Pillar was a former Vicar's Warden of St. Barnabas Church, a Past President of the Old Dartmothians Association and the Dartmouth Carnival; a Vice-President of Dartmouth Amateur Swimming Club and a former Chairman of Dartmouth Primary School Managers.


      The funeral Service at St. Barnabas on Monday was conducted by the Vicar of Dartmouth, the Rev. R. T. Urwin. Accompanied by the organist, Mr. A. Bolton, the choir led the chanting of the 23rd Psalm and the singing of the hymns "Abide with me," and "The day thou gavest."
      Interment took place at Townstal Churchyard. The bearers were Mr. Pillar's three sons, two sons-in-law and a nephew.
      Seven former Mayors—Aldermem W. G. Row, H. J. Adams, Cllrs. H. C. Lloyd, N. Hewson, and Messrs. B. Lavers, J. C. S. R. Stoneman and A. M. W. Chapman—walked as Pallbearers ...
      [Long list of attenders.]


 The floral tributes were from: All his children; All his grandchildren; Fred, Ella and family (Cardiff and Torquay); Lottie and Frank; Stuart, Muriel and Caroline; Phil, Violet and family; Hilary, Jim and Simon; Wilfred, Beatie and family; Uncle Lonnie, Marjorie, Chris and Diane; Herbert and Grace; …

The Times, 6 April 1999: Admiral Sir William Pillar

Admiral Sir William Pillar, GBE, KCB, Chief of Fleet Support, 1979-81,
died on March 18 aged 75. He was born on February 24, 1924.

IN RECOGNITION of his achievements as a naval engineer and because of the great affection in which he was held, Bill Pillar’s friends recently clubbed together to have his portrait painted. The picture, by Theo Ramos, was presented to the naval engineering school HMS Sultan at Gosport just a fortnight before Pillar’s death, in a ceremony much enhanced by his witty and touching speech, delivered as usual without notes but on this occasion from a wheelchair.
     Only the second engineer to achieve the rank of full admiral, Bill Pillar entered the Navy in 1942 from Blundell’s School and took an engineering degree at the Royal Navy College at Manadon near Plymouth. Subsequent appointments included sea duty in the aircraft carrier Illustrious, the dispatch vessel Alert in the Far East and the destroyer Corunna.
     His ability to lead and motivate people was well respected. In one post in Gibraltar, he found himself on the other side of the table from that formidable trade unionist Joe Bassano—later Chief Minister of Gibraltar—who remembers Pillar for his grasp of the strategic utility of Gibraltar dockyard and his appreciation of the loyalty of the workforce. “We had very tough negotiations, but at one minute to five we would become friends again and go down to the pub.”
     Pillar’s most professionally enjoyable seagoing tour was as chief engineer of the cruiser Tiger, which visited South America in 1964-65. This was followed by a relaxed appointment on the staff of the Commander-in-Chief South Africa and South American station, based at Cape Town.
    His inspirational talents were never put to better use than as captain of the Royal Navy Engineering College, Manadon, where he made it his business to know, understand and guide every one of the young students. He was also able to indulge his passion for sailing. Convinced of the character-building effect of offshore yachting, he would often accompany crews of students, but never as skipper and always taking his turn at the menial tasks.

Admiral Sir William Pillar

     He and his family had a particular love of Scotland from his three tours there, including Port Admiral Rosyth in 1976. From 1977 to 1981, as Assistant and subsequently Chief of Fleet Support, Pillar was involved in the often painful management of decline under the severe budgetary pressures of the period. Particularly distressing for him was the closure of the Chatham and Gibraltar dockyards¾at Chatham, in the absence of a minister, he took it upon himself to break the news¾ and the reductions in the Royal Fleet Auxiliaries, the Navy’s tankers and store ships. Slightly older than many members of the Admiralty Board, he was in some sense a father confessor, advising, for example, against resignation as a reaction to the damaging 1981 Defence Review.
     In 1982 Pillar became the first naval engineer to be appointed Commander of the Royal College of Defence Studies, where he was much admired for his educated commentaries when introducing internationally celebrated speakers.
     From 1985 to 1990 he was Lieutenant-Governor of Jersey, the constitutional link between the Sovereign and the States, or parliament, of the island. With enthusiasm and a characteristic absence of pretension, he supported all aspects of Jersey life and conducted the representational aspects of the role with style.
     Generous with his time in the pursuit of good causes, he was valued for his pragmatic wisdom as president of the Forces’ Help Society and Lord Roberts Workshops as well as for his work for the RNVR Youth Sail Training Trust and the training brig Royalist. For twenty years he was a Commodore and Life Vice-Commodore of the Royal Naval Sailing Association.
     He was appointed KCB in 1980 and GBE in 1983. Despite these and other honours, he preserved an attractive modesty, remaining at heart a practical engineer whose recreations were always “rough gardening and fixing things”.
    He is survived by his wife, Ursula, whom he married in 1946 and by their three sons and daughter.

Western Daily Press,  24 July 2004
Family announcements

MITCHELMORE. Joyce Frances, of Burnham on Sea, passed peacefully away at Weston super Mare  Hospital, July 19, 2004, aged 82 years. Beloved wife of Leonard, dearly loved Mother of Kathryn and Nicola. A much loved grandmother. The funeral service on Tuesday, July 27 at Burnham on Sea Methodist Church at 11 a.m., followed by cremation. Family flowers only, please. Donations, if desired, for the British Heart Foundation, may be sent to Burnham Funeral Services, 97 Oxford Street, Burnham on Sea. Telephone 01278 793666.