Portrait of Dr Francis Haly (1783-1855) Bishop Francis Haly
was Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin from 1838-1855. He was a
native of Doonane Parish in the Queen's County (Co. Laois) and
was educated at Maynooth College, which he entered in 1807. His
first appointment as a priest was to the parish of Rathvilly in
Co. Carlow. Dr. Haly died on the 19th August, 1855. He is buried
beside Dr. James Warren Doyle (J.K.L.) in Carlow Cathedral.