Wichita Post Office
Located at 401 North Market, Wichita
Construction on the building began in 1930 and was completed in 1932 at a cost of $1.2 million dollars.
The four story, flat-roofed, Bedford limestone building was built in the Art Moderne (DECO) style and originally housed the U.S. Post Office, the Federal courthouse and other government offices. Low reliefs in Art Deco patterns can be seen on the towers in designs of Indians, buffalo, corn and wheat. An Egyptian influence is evidenced in the large, massive towers at each corner and the ornamentation of bundled reeds and chevron patterns that mark the friezes above the windows and on the tower entablatures.
|There are 2 murals in the
"Pioneer in Kansas"
L. Ward Lockwood
After growing up on an Iowa farm
and working for several years as a designer at a greeting card company,
Haines (1906-1984) became interested in mural painting while taking
courses at the Minneapolis School of Art. In 1933 he won the Vanderlip
Traveling Scholarship to the Ecole des Beaux Arts at Fountainebleau in
France. Shortly after his return he became involved in New Deal art
projects, winning nine mural commissions (primarily for post offices)
from the Treasury Department's Section of Painting and Sculpture between
1935 and 1941. He did post office murals in Berwyn, Illinois, Cresco,
Iowa, Wichita, Kansas, Hastings, Minnesota, Clinton, Missouri, and
Shelton, Washington. He and his wife moved to Los Angeles in 1941. In
1952 he was among nine artists selected to paint murals for the renowned
Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. From 1954-1974 he was the head of the painting
department at Otis Art Institute.
John Ward Lockwood studied
at the Pennsylvania Academy and in Paris, followed by a year painting in
the south of France with Kenneth Adams, a fellow Kansan. In 1926
Lockwood and his wife moved to Taos where Adams had already joined the
Taos Society of Artists.