1908 Directory UPCHURCH


Sittingbourne, Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
ISBN 0-9507107-0-9


The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.



Upchurch is a large village, situated on the banks of the River Medway, and being 2.5 miles north from Newington Station on the SE. and C.R., 5.5 miles north-west from Sittingbourne, and about seven miles east from Chatham. The parish is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary Division, the upper division of the Lathe of Scray, the Hundred and Union of Milton, the Sittingbourne Petty Sessional Division and County Court. The central portion of the parish is situated on a hill, and overlooks a large expanse of saltings lying between the village and the Medway. The largest of the saltings (or salterns) is Burntwick Island, which is two miles long by 1.5 miles broad. Greenborough Island (part of which is now submerged at high water) is 1.5 miles long and three-quarters of a mile broad. Twinney Island is a mile long and half-a-mile wide in some places, and there are several other smaller islands, which, by their position, form a maze of creeks and channels into which it would be somewhat dangerous to ven­ture unless accompanied by a well-informed mariner. In the saltings a large number of articles of Roman manufacture have been found, including silver coins, pottery, and various jars. There is evidence that a Roman pottery existed near the spot. The parish is 4,614 acres in extent, being the largest parish in the Milton Union. Included in the acreage are 1,426 acres of fore-shore, 911 acres of tidal water, and 15 acres of water. There are nine-and-a-half miles of district roads. The population in 1901 was 1,129, but the present estimated population is 1,257. Lord Hothfield and Mr. P. J. Digby Wykeham, of Thame, Oxford are the Lords of the Manor, and among the principal landowners are Lord Hothfield, the Hon. Mrs. Hay, Messrs. Wakeley Brothers, Ltd., the trustees of the estate of the late George Smeed, All Soul’s College, Oxford, and Mr. H. L. Webb, Tunstall. The soil of the parish is generally loam with a sub-soil of gravel. The chief crops are corn, hops, and fruit, with (near the river) large tracts of marshy pasture land.

The Guardian for the parish is Mr. Joseph Wakeley, and the Overseers are

 Messrs Charles Bishop and Alfred Castle.

The Parish Council The Parish Council meets bi-monthly on the second Thursday in the month. The members are Mr. F. Steveas (chairman), Rev. C. O. Trew, and Messrs. S. T. Wakeley, W. Hubbard, James Clark, W. Skinner, T. Dennis, and L. Harvey. There are at present two vacancies on the Council. Clerk, Mr. J. H. Maltravers, Holywell, Upchurch.

The Parish Church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, and is of flint in the Decorated style with some Early English work. It has a tower with a peculiarly-shaped spire and six bells. The spire is said to have been erected as a beacon to mariners navigating the broad reaches of the Medway. The church itself is large; being 96 feet long and 54 feet wide and now possesses 300 sittings. The edifice was thoroughly restored in 1876 at a cost of £1,700. In the chancel can be seen some pillars moulded like many of the capitals in Canterbury Cathedral - the main pillars being surrounded by clusters of smaller pillars. There is a monument with a fine canopy and several 14th century brasses. There is also an ancient reredos (recessed) with fine shafts and foliaged capitals. Some paintings on the walls and in the roof have also been disclosed. Beneath the church is a crypt, which is reached by a spiral staircase. In the crypt are a large number of human bones, including skulls. It is supposed that these bones came from a Danish burying ground in the parish. The living is a vicarage of the net yearly value of £289 with five acres of glebe and residence and it is in the gift of All Soul’s College, Oxford. The living has been held since 1898 by the Rev. Charles Ousby Trew, MA., of that college. The parish is in the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and Diocese of Canterbury. There are several small charities which bring in altogether some £30 a year, which arise from land and house property in the parish.


Parish Church: Rev. C. O. Trew, M.A., Vicar. Churchwardens, Messrs. W. T. Hyland and J. W. Holloway. Sidesmen: Messrs. H. Cox, C. Bishop, H. Holloway, J. Morris, A. Clark, and S. Jarrett. Organist and Choirmaster, Mr. J. H. Maltravers. Choir, Eight men and sixteen boys. Bellringers, Mr. W. T. Hyland, conductor. Parish Clerk and Sexton, Mr. Sutton. Sunday services 11a.m. and 6.30 p.m. Holy communion, after morning service and at 8 a.m. on alternate Sundays respectively. Sunday School (held at Infants’ School, The Street) 10 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. Girls’ Friendly Society, Branch conducted by Mrs. Holloway and the Misses Armstrong and Lester.

Original Peculiar People: Services are held each Sunday in a small meeting house in the village in connection with this sect.


National Schools: The mixed department is situated at Holywell, and will accommodate 154 children, and there are 162 children on the books. Headmaster, Mr. Joseph Henry Maltravers. Assistant Teachers, Mrs. Ethel Annie Maltravers, Miss Catherine Ethel Stanley, and Mrs. Annie Witherden. Infants’ School, The Street, Upchurch: Accommodation, 125; number on books, 100. Headmistress, Miss Elizabeth Florence Armstrong. Assistant Teacher, Miss Frances McColl. There is one vacancy on the teaching staff.

Evening Continuation Classes: Continuation Classes are held at the Holywell Schools on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, from 6.45 p.m. to 6.45 p.m., during the winter months. Teacher, Mr. J. H. Maltravers.

Upchurch Social Club: This Club has been recently formed, and now possesses a full size billiard table. Hours, 6 p.m. till 10 p.m. on all nights in the week except Saturdays, when the hours of opening are from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. Committee, Messrs. G. Cremer, J. Holloway, L. Harvey, G. Goble, Edmund Hollands, T. Wraight, jun., and B. Witberden. Hon. Secre­tary, Mr. J. H. Maltravers.

Upchurch Football Club: Ground, Holywell Meadow. Matches played on Saturdays. Senior and reserve teams. Members of the Sittingbourne and Milton District League (Second Division). Secretary, J. H. Maltravers.

Anglo-Saxons, Pride of Kent Branch, No. 36: Headquarters, Crown Inn, The Street, Upchurch. Meeting nights, every alternate Saturday. Treasurer, Alfred Castle, Crown Inn. Secretary, Ernest Anderson, Wetham Green.

Pout Lane Sick Benefit Club: Held at the Edward the First public-house, The Street, Upchurch. Club nights held weekly. Benefits provided in cases of sickness and death, with share-out in December. Secretary, G. Capelin, Plantation Cottages, Otterham, Upchurch.

Edward the First Slate Club : Held at the Edward the First public-house, Upchurch. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with share-out In December. Secretary, H. Manser, Ham Green.

Brown Jug Benefit Society: Held at the Brown Jug public-house, Otter­ham, Upchurch. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with share-out in December. Meeting nights, second Monday in the month. Secretary, C. Baker, Plantation Cottages, Otterham, Upchurch.

Three Sisters Inn Slate Club: Held at the Three Sisters inn, Quay Lane, Upchurch. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with share-out in December. Club nights, first Saturday in the month. Secretary, J. Carpenter, Otterham Quay.

Postal Arrangements: Upchurch Sub-Post Office (Thomas Wraight, Sub ­Postmaster). Stamps, postal orders, money orders, telegraph, telegraph money orders, savings bank, and issue of inland revenue licenses. Deliveries, 7.50 a.m. and 5.35 p.m. Sundays, 8.20 a.m. Box cleared for despatches, 9.35 a.m. and 5.35 p.m. Sundays, 10.40 a.m