Maggie & John Troy
From Chris (Voigtsberger) MittelStaedt
Born: ~May, 1866 Ireland2
Died: March 15, 1835; Cape May, NJ10
Residences: In 1892: 103 Albion St. Philadelphia9 In 1900: 2006 Seybert St.; later Cape May, NJ10
Religion: Roman Catholic
Career: Blacksmith 2 3 4
Father: James Troy (b. Ireland)
Mother: Bridget Fitzgerald (b. Ireland)
Wife: Margaret "Maggie" Mary Blong (b. Aug. 18682 or 186410, imm. from Ireland in 1882, married ~1890)2
- Mary (b. Feb. 1891)2 3 or (1887 - ~1960)10 m. Edward Whitman10
- Margeret "Maggie" (b. Sept. 1894)2 3 or (1889 - ~194210 m. James Cleary and Andrew King10
- James (b. Oct. 1896)2 3 4 or (1897 - ~1971)10 m. Margaret Alfes10
- Anna/Annie (b. Dec. 1897)2 3 or 1898 - ~193410 m. Francis Drennan5 10
- Agnes ~19003 4 10 d. ~197410 m. Alfred Ashbridge10
- John ~19033 4 (1902 - ~1964(10
- George (died age 3)
- Catherine ~August l9083 4 (m. David Voigtsberger, ch: Joyce5; Christine (Mitterstaedt)10
Other Details: Immigrated to US in 1887 aboard the British King. from Liverpool.9 Naturalized in 1903.4
- Although it is clear that James had a brother named John (see Elizabeth Troy Calhoun notes and Ship's list Immigration Records for James), it is an assumption that this is the same John Troy in the Census records listed below (where all info on wife and children is derived). The fact that James and John live next to each other in 1900 makes a strong case for the fact, but not certain. I have been in contact with several descendants of the John Troy in the census records. They share my belief that this John is James' brother.
- 1900 Census
- 1910 Census
- 1920 Census
- 1930 Census
- Interview with Mary Jo Egoville. Names of siblings came from notes written by Mary Jo's mother Elizabeth. According to Mary Jo, Ellen changed her first name to Helen when she was older.
- According to Mary Jo, Robert did not know his birthday and typically used March 17 (St. Patrick's Day). When he had to get records to apply for Social Security, it was determined his birthday was in January. She did not recall what year and could not find the original records.
- Parents were determined through available Irish Birth records. In searching Irish Birth records at Familysearch.org, I found only one couple that was from that general area and who had children with pretty much the right names. I started with a search of "Robert Troy" because that only brought up six entries of I then searched all six sets of parents for a list of children. Only James Troy and Bridget Fitzgerald secured hits on siblings with the right names. I found:
There were no records for John, Ellen, nor Bridget. Parents were confirmed by obtaining Robert Troy's Social Security Application which lists James Troy and "Brigid Fitzgerald" as the parents. I am not sure why the application lists March 17, 1887 as the birth date since that is more than a decade off from what clearly seems to be his birthday. It could be a mistake or perhaps there was some reason he wanted to be below the 65 retirement age when applying.
- Mary Troy: b. May 27, 1865, Stradbelly, Laoighis, Ireland
- Patrick Troy: b. Aug. 20, 1867, Stradbelly, Laoighis, Ireland
- Sarah Troy: b. Nov. 25, 1869, Stradbelly, Laoighis, Ireland
- James Troy: b. Feb. 4. 1872, Kildare, Ireland
- Robert Troy: b. Jan. 24, 1875 Ireland
- Ship's list Immigration Records for James, John, & Patrick & Robert. Note James age 19 in 1892, occupation blacksmith, with letter to John. John in 1887 is traveling with another Troy (Wm?) who it eight years older - perhaps a more distant relative? In 1899 Robert and Patrick are traveling with a "Maria Troy" who had been to the US before - possibly another non-immediate relative? Note also that Robert, Patrick, and Maria all say they came from Kildare.
- Additional information on birth dates and children was provided by John's Granddaughter Christine (Voigtsberger) Mittelstaedt and Great-Granddaughter Celeste Cruz.