In "The Elder History Newsletter", dated February 1978, Teddy Max
Elder wrote to Truman Elder:
... "It may be possible to get an aerial reconnaissance of the sites of the Elder Castles in Scotland.
I say sites and Castles, because another Elder castle has been discovered.
... "On the 1690 map I sent you, if you follow the west branch of the Black Cart River north to 'The River of Clyd'
then where it meets the River Clyde south-east to the three islands in the River: Sand Inch, Buck Inch, and White Inch.
Inch means island.
The castle illustrated on Sand Inch or Sand Island is named Elder on other maps of Renfrew Prefectura (County).
This is thought to be the site of the castle in the middle ages.
There is also other evidence to indicate this place as the site of the castle in 1423 A.D."
Soc. Security Index:
Name: Teddy M. Elder
Last Residence: 60411 Chicago Heights, Cook, Illinois,
Born: 6 Apr 1932
Died: 2 Oct 1996
State (Year) SSN issued: Wisconsin (Before 1951 )
(father: Amos L.; Amos A.; Dele (1830-1899); Charles D; Dele (1780-1811, of Prince Georges MD - m. Sarah Lindsay)
Dele ELDER (1780-1811) maybe Dale?
On a map of the Indiana and Illinois Territories, 1800-1818, Teddy Max Elder noted,
"Section 9 of Dele Elder's land was located 2 miles directly west along a straight
line from where the Great Miami River intersects with the Ohio River at Lawrenceburg.
From the land looking East is Shawnee Lookout about 1010 acres. The date of entry on the land record is 1811."
Current online Aerial Map (2008) showing Black Cart Water and
White Cart Water, meeting River Clyde:
From "OLD GLASGOW" book , Page 243: RE: TOWN OF RENFREW
".... This will be seen from Blaeu's map,
which shows a branch of the river
coming close to the town and forming the island called the SAND INCH,
which has since become joined to the mainland.
On this island stood the ancient castle of Renfrew.
Source: Google Books, scanned pages:
"Old Glasgow: The Place and the People."
By Andrew Macgeorge, Published 1888, Blackie, Glasgow (Scotland)
Original from the New York Public Library
Digitized Apr 4, 2007
Google.com search: "RENFREW CASTLE"
found RENFREWSHIRE history:
"...Castlehill, near the present Ferry Road,
was the site of Renfrew Castle, built by the High Stewards of Scotland.
No trace of the castle remains today,
although its presence lives on in Renfrew place names.
Orchard Street is where the royal orchard once was, and the older name for
Wilson Street was the Dog Row, which dates from the time when the royal kennels stood there."
RENFREW CASTLE - STEWART/STUART
Ancestry Tour of Renfrew Scotland
.."The town gradually rose up around the castle of Renfrew,
which was erected on one of the
numerous islands which at that time divided the channel
of the Clyde, for the residence of the lord of the manor;
and this isle, since the accession of the Stuarts to the crown,
has been distinguished by the name of the King's Inch.
Walter instituted a Benedictine monastery near the site
of the castle; but the monks were
during his lifetime removed to the abbey of Paisley...
"The castle, which thus became the residence of the Hawkhead family,
was eventually taken down; and nearly on the site was erected the present mansion
of Elderslie House, the residence of Alexander Speirs, Esq..."
... "Elderslie House, a handsome and spacious mansion,
surrounded by thriving and beautiful plantations;
the demesne is extensive,
and comprises one of the finest parks in the country."
..."Several antique rings and a key were met with in
digging part of the foundations of Renfrew Castle,
the site of which is still called Castle Hill;
a small street near it is designated Dogs'-row,
probably from its being the site of the ancient kennel;
and in a cottage at the end of this street is preserved an old fire-place of great length,
supposed to have been used for boiling the meat for the king's hounds."
ELDERSLIE HOUSE and "THE INCH" or INCH CASTLE
"THE ancient name of the lands on which this spacious mansion is situated was "The Inch," or "King's Inch."
Anciently they belonged to the Barons Ross of Hawkhead,
and there was an old edifice called "The Inch Castle,"
which stood a few yards from what is now Elderslie House,
and formed one of the seats of the Ross family. It was taken down about 1777,
and a small clump of trees planted to indicate the site..."
Elderslie House is on the left bank of the Clyde, and is a conspicuous
object in sailing down the river near Renfrew.
It was erected by Alexander Speirs, merchant in Glasgow, and about five years were spent in its construction.
The house was finished in 1782, and Mr. Speirs named it "Elderslie House." But although so named, its site
forms no part of the ancient estate of Elderslie. Mr. Speirs invested part of his great fortune, acquired as a
Glasgow merchant, in the purchase of a number of estates in Renfrewshire adjoining each other.
This he did from time to time, between 1760 and 1782.
Among these were the estates of "The Inch," and of "Elderslie,"
which last, from immemorial time, had been the property of the ancient family of Wallace,
from which the great Scottish patriot sprung. Mr. Speirs purchased the Inch in 1760, Elderslie in 1769.
The seller of the latter was Helen Wallace, heiress thereof, and wife of Mr. Archibald Campbell of Succoth,
parents of Sir Hay Campbell, Bart., Lord President of the Court of Session, all ancestors of the present Baronet of Garscube.
After Mr. Speirs had completed his numerous purchases in Renfrewshire, he took out a Crown Charter,
in which these were combined, under the general title of "The Barony of Elderslie;"
and when he built the splendid mansion on what had been originally the Inch estate,
he named the edifice "Elderslie House," besides taking "Elderslie" as his ordinary landed title."
WALLACE and ELDERSLIE:
"The original form of Wallace meant "Welsh Speaking",
and we know that William's ancestors followed these "Stewards"
north as their vassals. In 1174 one Richard Wallace, who is
generally regarded as being William's ancestor, witnessed a
charter to the Abbey of Paisley.
The Wallaces were granted the lands of Elderslie sometime before 1250.
..."In fact, William Wallace is known in history as the Knight of
Ellerslie or Elderslie.
Both these names are one and the same - both mean the field of the Elder trees,
and Elderslie of course stands close to Paisley in Renfrewshire."
The map [illustrated] dates from 1654.
It shows "Ellerslie" (near the bottom left of the map) near Paisley. The Wallace property
stands on the West bank of the Glenpatrick Water as the ruins do today.
It is shown fenced and surrounded by parkland. "
Site of Renfrew Castle (map marker)
"Cradle of the Royal Stewarts -
who were descended from William Fitzalan of Shropshire,
and hereditary stewards of Renfrew Castle.
The heir to the British Throne is entitled Baron Renfrew in recognition."
Also from Dr. Gradeless:
"The ancestorial home of the Elder family is assumed to have
near Paisley in Renfreshire, Scotland. Being about six miles from Glasgow.
It was in this shire that the progenitor of the American family was born, about 1679.
He moved to Lough Neagh, country Antrim, Ireland.
The date of his arrival in Pennsylvania is unknown, but he died near Harrisburg,
at seven o'clock July 28th, 1746, and is interred in an unmarked grave in
The Paxtang Grave-Yard attached to the church, where his son, the famous "fighting parson," ministered for many."
STUART/ELDER mention from
ELDER CHAPTER in "BRAVE MEN OF SKYE,"
by John MacInnes, 1899.
(Interlibrary loan from Brigham Young Univ. Library)
transcript posted on my webpages
From Page 219:
THE ELDERS OF ISLEORNSAY AND KNOCK, IN THE PARISH OF SLEAT
Major-General SIR GEORGE ELDER , K.C.B.
[Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath]
."...The Elders had fighting blood in their veins from both sides of the
house, ancestors of theirs (Stuart and Elder) having fought at
Culloden on the side of the Prince."
"Sir George Elder was a soldier born..."
"He was appointed as an Ensign in the 46th Foot on the
27th of November, 1799...."
.....Major in the Portuguese army on the 13th of April, 1809...
.....Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland on the 4th of October, 1826;
and Commander-in-Chief in Madras in August, 1836."
"Lieutenant-Colonel Alexander MacDonald Elder, of the Bombay Fusiliers,
...was born in the parish of Sleat, as was also his brother,
Commander Benjamin John Elder."
Both were nephews of Sir George Elder...."