PETERSBURG, MONROE COUNTY, MICHIGAN - HISTORY
From the book: "RIVER AND RAIL TO PROGRESS,"
ALSO SEE: TROMBLEY
written by Mrs. William "Jinnee" Gee, Centennial Historian
Published: Petersburg, Monroe County, Michigan, 1969 MAY 2000 PHOTOS
(borrowed from: State of Michigan Library)
96 pages; illustrated with many historical photos, maps and drawings
Village Presidents since incorporation, including Josiah M. Elder, 1911-12-13
43-45: Section on Banking Enterprise
Alfred Elder, named a bank director in abt 1910. Guards in Elder Building.
"Among the very first to have telephones in the Petersburg area
were the Elder Clothing Store...
It is generally believed the first switchboard was set up in Elder's Store..."
Pages: 58-59: ELDER CLOTHING STORE photo and description:
In 1895, Josiah Elder had bought out the dry goods stock and store of
George Huntley in the Town Hall block, and later saw the need for expansion.
In 1902, he built an impressive glazed tile two-story building
on the southeast corner of Center and Saline Streets.
The Joseph Cornell home was located there and was moved
south to face Saline street, with one of the pine trees that had
stood in front of the house being fashioned into a flag pole
and placed on top of the Elder building.