"Lives are commemorated deaths are recorded families are reunited memories are made tangible and love is undisguised. This is a cemetery. Communities accord respect, families bestow reverence, historians seek information and our heritage is thereby enriched. Testimonies of devotion, pride and remembrance are cast in bronze to pay warm tribute to accomplishments and to the life not the death of a loved one. The cemetery is homeland for memorials that are a sustaining source of comfort to the living. A cemetery is a history of peace and quiet today. A cemetery exists because every life is worth loving and remembering always." McLANE RIVERVIEW MEMORIAL GARDENS, Valdosta, GA
This endeavor is a compilation of headstones that I have photographed over the years. Some of it will be cemeteries in whole, some will just be scattered photographs. I have hundreds of headstone pictures and they are arranged by last name and/or married name. Feel free to contact me to see if I might just have one you are looking for. My main area of research is in the South Georgia, USA area. If you know where Valdosta is then just draw a 75 mile circle from there and you will see the area in which I have the most material. There are exceptions to that rule.
The surnames I research are; Zeigler, Howell, Lightsey, Wetherington, Glass, Burgess, King and Register. I also take in their peripheral family names. These include Blanton, Carter, Knight, Tillman, Croft, Cannon, Ganas, and many many others.
Check it out. Who knows? We might just find a connection. You won't know if you don't ask. Emails are free and I try to answer each one in a timely manner.
1) This data is not perfect. YEP! I said it. I do not state that this information is correct, it is put here for your information, and, a starting point. In fact, in a lot of cases this is only part of the info that I might have on any one particular individual.
2) If you see some information that does not look right then get in touch with me. Don't get your panties all in a wad so quick. I can pull that record and check my sources. We can then begin our conversation at that point. Most likely I will have alternate data for that person. You might be right; I might be right. We might both be wrong.
3) While doing my research, I have found many dates that do not match. I have tried to keep up with all of those differences and state the source of same. Refer to note 2.
4) I have found various legal records, personal records, written family histories, Bible records, published books, etc that greatly castrate each other. Again, refer to note 2.
5) When you see the asterisk (*) beside any burial location this means that most likely I have a picture of that headstone. There are exceptions to the rule, I have let some slip through but have tried to proof read that part since I am kinda hung up on cemeteries. If you need a picture of that headstone let me know. I can share that real easy.
6) I have already stated that this is only part of the info that I have. In case you wish to ask why I did not include it then let me tell you right now; If I was smart enough to figure out how to put it on this site I would have already done it. Simple as that. Remember, you are dealing with a simple program writer. Nothing fancy. If you have the answer then write me a program and send it to me. I can handle that.
7) The males are listed by their last name first. The females are listed by their maiden names first. If you would like a listing of the females by their married names then refer to note 6.
8) If you have any records that you wish to be included on this website then send them to me. I will add them if I can.
9) If you see any records that you think should not be on this website then let me know and I will address them.
10) I have tried to take off all the living persons. This was a tough decision for me since a true researcher would appreciate that information. It is the perverts that would take that info and use it unwisely.
11) There are many living persons who already have headstones in place. They are not included since they are still living and I want to protect their privacy. You can contact me to see if I might have some you can use.
12) I have not inlcuded epitaphs. Only data. Don't ask for any. I just don't have that info. While some folks are into epitaphs, I am not one of them. Probably should be since there is a lot of interesting reading on some of the headstones. If one of them caught my eye I probably have it, but, otherwise I won't.
13) If you see the date "January 1, 1900" then this should be a red flag for you. In the transition of data, some dates were lost and replaced by that date. Go figure! I will try to replace those dates as time permits. As of right now I think I have found them all.
14) If you are one of those type people who like to get info and never share then don't bother signing the guestbook or letting anyone know you have been here. Those of us who take genealogy serious and are trying to preserve this information for our future generations don't even want to know you. If you use any of this info then you are obligated to share some of yours, whether you do or not. (AS OF MARCH 28, 2003 THE GUESTBOOK HAS BEEN REMOVED)
15) Here's a good one; sometimes a person will write to me with a question. I write back and include their question with my answer. When, or if, they write back they delete the entire string of messages and just write something with no regard to the time it takes to go back and see just what we were talking about in the first place. If you do that do not be surprised if I don't just blow you off and not answer. I don't have time for that kind of play. IF YOU ARE AN AOL USER, THINK ABOUT IT LONG AND HARD BEFORE YOU WRITE TO ME. I DON'T LIKE AOL. If you use AOL, I gotta really like you a lot to keep writing.
16) I will add more rules as I can think of them. I guess that will be alright since it is my website. If you think of any, let me know. One day I will be dead and gone, or, otherwise idiotized. I would like for folks to know that I did at least try.
"A" "B" "C" "D" "E" "F" "G" "H" "I-J" "K" "L" "M" "N"
"O" "P" "R" "S" "T" "V" "W" "Y" "Z"
The Alderman Cemetery in Echols Co., GA
The Clark Cemetery in Brooks Co., GA
CSA Burials in the city cemetery at Newton, AL
The Coulter Cemetery in Brooks Co., GA
The Crowell Cemetery at Ft. Mitchell, AL
The Folsom Family Cemetery, Lowndes Co., GA (link only)
The Jacob Snell Cemetery at Pinckard, AL
The McDonald Cemetery in Thomas Co., GA
The Old Lake Park Cemetery in Lake Park, GA
The Owen Smith Cemetery in Lowndes Co., GA
The Prosperity Cemetery in Brooks Co., GA
The Richards Family Cemetery, Altha, FL
The Staten Family Cemetery, Echols Co., GA
The Swilley Family Cemetery in Echols Co., GA
The Ward-Witherington Cemetery, Conecuh Co., AL
The Wetherington Cemetery in Lowndes Co., GA
The Witherington Cemetery in Conecuh Co., AL
The Winslette Chapel Methodist Cemetery in Houston Co., AL
My Personal Genealogy Webpages
My Website for Newton, Alabama
More about me