The nineteenth-century Dutch immigrants were quick to
establish their own Dutch-speaking churches.
To distinguish them from the English-speaking Dutch Reformed churches, they
were often referred to as
Any comments would be appreciated, especially on missing "Holland" churches, Dutch ministers, dates of last Holland services, and location of old Dutch membership records.
1. First Holland Reformed Church "Hollandsche Gereformeerde Kerk" (org. 1856); in 1858 joined Reformed Church in America; ca. 1859 joined with Netherlandic Church Under the Cross (Gereformeerde Kerk Onder Het Kruis); in 1865 joined what became the Christian Reformed denomination and was known as First Christian Reformed Church of Paterson, N.J Erst Christelijk Gereformeerde Gemeente te Paterson, N.J. first site at Cor. Bridge and River Sts. 1857-1902; second site at 13-25 North Straight St., Paterson 1903-1949; third site at Haledon Ave and Zabriskie St., Haledon. Rev. P.A. Hoekstra first pastor to conduct evening service in English; Dutch service held in afternoon by Rev. J. Walkotten until 1954. Ministers: de Rooy 1856-63; Bechtold 1864-66; W. H. Van Leeuwen 1867-72; F. Rederus 1872-74; L. Rietdyk 1874-82; E. Vander Vries 1883-86; L. Rietdyk 1886-88; P. Van Vlaanderen 1889-1904; H. Tuls 1905-08 and 1913-14; E. Krohne 1909-12; P.A. Hoekstra 1915-18; John Walkotten 1919-44;
3. First Holland Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of
Paterson "Eerste Nederduitsche
Gereformeerde Gemeente van
Paterson" (org. 3 Oct 1864 - disbanded 1971); renamed First Reformed
Church of Paterson, New Jersey in 1956 first site at Clinton and North First
Sts. 1864-1912; second site at 163 North First St. 1913-. Services in
5. Sixth Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Paterson (org. 28 Jan 1867) first site on Godwin St. btwn Paterson and Bridge Sts. 1869-1920; second site on 40 Hopper St. and Ingelis (English) Pl. 1920-75; third site at 21 Pleasant View Drive, North Haledon 1975-present. English service added in evening during Rev. A. J. Van Lummels pastorate 1906-17 and English service twice a month in the morning during Rev. H. P. Schuurmans pastorate 1917-29. Ministers: Rutte 1867-; Houbolt 1873-77; H. R. Koopman 1879-84; van het Loo 1888-1905; A. J. Van Lummel 1906-1917; H. P. Schuurman 1917- 29; M. E. Broekstra 1929-40; John Minnema 1941-43; Theodore J. Jansma 1944-49;
6. Holland Reformed Church at Hohokus
(org. 1872) (in Bergen Co.) met in
7. Hohokus (org. 1873-1885) seceder congregation of Hohokus Reformed Church (in Bergen Co.). Listed in Christian Reformed denomination as seceders and later organized the Christian Reformed Church of Midland Park.
8. First Holland Reformed Church of Passaic
"Bethel" (org. 1873 1977 merged with Clifton to become United
Reformed of Clifton and Passaic) first site at Monroe and Elm Sts. (changed
9. Holland Reformed Church of Lodi "Nederlandsche
Gereformeerde Gemeente te
10. Passaic Christian Reformed Church" (org. 1876
1975 merged with Richfield), first known as True Dutch Reformed Church, in 1889
changed to Holland Christian Reformed Church of Passaic; in 1894 Hope Avenue
CRC; in 1926 Summer Street CRC first site cor.
Washington Pl. and Columbia Ave.; second site in 1894 on Hope Ave. near Madison
St.; third site in 1926 on Summer St; merged in 1975 with Richfield Church
(Christian Reformed) in Clifton.
11. Union Reformed Church of Paterson (daughter
13. Second Christian Reformed Church of
14. Second Reformed of Little Falls (org. 1890) first site
16. Christian Reformed Church of
17. People's Park Reformed Church of Paterson (daughter
18. Fourth Christian Reformed Church of Paterson
"Riverside CRC" (org. 1896) first site on