ISAAC N. CAIN
ISAAC N. CAIN. Numbered among the pioneers of Colusa county is Isaac N. Cain, who crossed the plains to the state in 1849. He was a native of Clay county, Mo., where his birth occurred August 27, 1823. He was the son of a farmer and in his boyhood was trained to the practical duties of an agriculturist. Deciding to try his fortunes among the exciting scenes of the remote west, in 1849, with his brother William, and others, he started across the plains for California, taking the old Santa Fe trail. He followed mining with fair success until December, 1855, when he located in Colusa county. Buying a ranch on Grand Island, he was there engaged in tilling the soil for many years. In 1866 he was elected public administrator of Colusa county, and the following year took up his residence in the town of Colusa. The sheriff of the county died in office and Mr. Cain was made his successor. Afterward he was re-elected to the office, filling it acceptably for a number of years. He subsequently engaged in the mercantile business in Colusa, becoming first a member of the firm of Harris Hart & Co., and later of the firm of Estell, Cain & Lovelace. Selling out in 1874, he purchased land near College City, and was engaged in general ranching until his death, in August, 1901. He erected one of the first houses ever put up in College City, and it is still in a good state of preservation and next to the largest dwelling house in the place. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and was a trustee of Pierce Christian College for many years. In Missouri, in 1854, he married Mrs. Susan Jane (Brasfield) Miles, a widow, who had by her first marriage one child, W. H. Miles, of Colusa. She survived her husband and now resides in College City. She is a most estimable woman and a faithful member of the Christian Church, in which Mr. Cain was for many years an elder. They became the parents of two children, J. E., of College City, assistant cashier in the Bank of Arbuckle, and T. D.
T. D. Cain is a native son of Colusa county, his birth having occurred on Grand Island, Cal., November 8, 1862, and on the paternal farm and in the town of Colusa he was reared to young manhood. He completed his education in Pierce Christian College, after which he served for two years as a deputy county clerk under W. H. Miles. Locating on rented land adjoining College City, he engaged in farming and stock-raising and became prominent in agricultural interests. He was one of the promoters of the College City Rochdale Company, having been secretary since its organization, and is a member of the College City Raisin Growers’ Association, of which he has also served as secretary since it was organized. When the College City public hall was erected Mr. Cain served as chairman of the organizing committee. In Yolo county, Cal., T. D. Cain married Ella Glasscock, a native of that county, and the daughter of George Glasscock, an early pioneer, and they have four children, namely: Beulah, Miles, Bettie and Eugene.
Transcribed by Doralisa Palomares.
Source: “History of the State of California and Biographical Record of the Sacramento Valley, California” by J. M. Guinn. Pages 606-607. Chapman Publishing Co., Chicago 1906.
© 2017 Doralisa Palomares.