Los Angeles County
MAURICE HARRIS NEWMARK
HARRIS, WHOLESALE GROCER,
Mr. Newmark attended private and public schools in
Upon his return
from his studies in
house was established by his father in 1865, and continued under its original
name of H. Newmark and Company and under the sole
control of its founder until 1885. Under
the able direction of Harris Newmark, the house,
which is the oldest establishment of consequence in
Up to 1885 Mr. Harris Newmark had associated with him as partners at different periods such well known men as Mr. Kaspare Cohn, Mr. Samuel Cohn (Deceased), Mr. M. J. Newmark (deceased), and Mr. M. A. Newmark.
When in 1885 Mr. Harris Newmark retired from active connection with the firm, the name changed to its present one of M. A. Newmark and Company, and M. H. Newmark’s interest became that of a full partnership.
Mr. Newmark had been and is today identified with practically
every movement of Southern California intended for civic or commercial
betterment possessed of actual merit and worthy of the expenditure of
time. He at present holds the important
and honorary office of harbor commissioner of
He is a firm
believer in home industry and has backed this policy with his capital and
time. As the official head of various
commercial bodies he has advocated fair and generous policies that have had the
effect of bringing business to
business enterprises are the following: Vice president Harris Newmark Co., first vice president M. A. Newmark
& Co., vice president Los Angeles Brick Co., director Equitable Savings
Bank, director Standard Woodenware Co., and director
He is a member of the Concordia and the Jonathan Clubs.
Mr. Newmark has a valuable collection of stamps. He also enjoys fishing, and finds time each year to spend with rod and reel.
Transcribed 6-6-08 Marilyn R. Pankey.
Source: Press Reference Library, Western Edition Notables of the West, Vol. I, Page 49, International News Service, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Atlanta. 1913.
© 2008 Marilyn R. Pankey.